Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Squizzle posted:

Undead war beetle: best war machine ever imagined, or best war machine possible to imagine?

I forgot about all the awesome Battle System poo poo from that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I forgot about all the awesome Battle System poo poo from that book.

And how much of it was made in whole or part from animals, living and dead.

Athas: where your building materials are arthopods and necromancy.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dragon Kings was one of my favorites from when I was younger. I wound up buying it off e-bay last summer.

Now if only I could find a copy of Psionic Artifacts of Athens and read all the weird crap in there again.

E: Wagons with hollow 30' wide stone wheels may help you cross the sea of silt. If you get sick of feeding the slaves hamster balling away inside the wheels, just turn them into skeletons!

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
Gotta love a siege weapon literally built onto and impossible to remove from a mekillot.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I need to hunt down a copy of Dune Trader. My players are interested in a campaign based around forming a trading house (after escaping from slavery, of course).

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
that would be awesome. gently caress trying to have an impact on the setting and topple the sorcerer kings, just live in the framework of the world and try to scrape out a niche for yourself

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Dragon Kings: Metal as gently caress...

ManMythLegend posted:

:cool: "Hey man, what's up?"
:black101: "Nothin much. Just burnin a village down with my bros."

That was the lead chapter art for the warrior chapter in Dragon Kings, the book for taking your PC's above 20th level.

Also, Baxa art generally sucks but this picture owns.

:black101:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Honestly, "Topple the Sorcerer Kings," is the lamest theme possible for a Dark Sun campaign. It's more of the same poo poo you do in every other D&D setting, which is entirely against the point of Dark Sun in the first place. Not to mention that knocking off the Sorcerer Kings without any sort of follow up plan would turn Balic into Baghdad.

Also, Baxa art does suck in general, but it doesn't help that his poo poo would appear on the opposite page from a Brom piece.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I like games where there are some dudes you can't beat because they would just crush you like a grape. no stat blocks, none of that poo poo, they just tear you in half if you piss them off

this is basically how I think all dragons should be portrayed. Maybe three guys in all of recorded history should have killed dragons, and two of them were demigods. and the third is a real god

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

PeterWeller posted:

Not to mention that knocking off the Sorcerer Kings without any sort of follow up plan would turn Balic into Baghdad.

This would make a good campaign, being regular guys dealing with the fallout some jackass "heroes"/assassins caused by creating a power vacuum.

liesmith posted:

I like games where there are some dudes you can't beat because they would just crush you like a grape. no stat blocks, none of that poo poo, they just tear you in half if you piss them off

We ran into a dragon in low-level 4th D&D. Getting the gently caress away was a skill challenge.

Bluff check: "Caravan Guard #3, scamper up that tree! Dragons can't look up!"

And with a wet crunch, I'm afforded a little more time.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pharmaskittle posted:

This would make a good campaign, being regular guys dealing with the fallout some jackass "heroes"/assassins caused by creating a power vacuum.

Totally doing this if I ever get the chance to run Dark Sun. The party will be out adventuring and then come back to town- BAM everything is upside down.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Drox posted:

Totally doing this if I ever get the chance to run Dark Sun. The party will be out adventuring and then come back to town- BAM everything is upside down.

They'll have to take a minute, just sit right there, and become the Sorcerer-Princes of Balic?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Liesmith posted:

this is basically how I think all dragons should be portrayed. Maybe three guys in all of recorded history should have killed dragons, and two of them were demigods. and the third is a real god

Beowulf wasn't a demigod, he was just a badass.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

This is kind of the theme of Freedom and The Road to Urik. The former ends up with the players trying to keep panicked civilians and slaves alive while Rikus, Sadira, and the rest kill Kalak. The latter places the burden of holding the army of Tyr together and outmaneuvering the army of Urik firmly on the players' shoulders because Rikus is not a good general. Marauders of the Dune Sea, the 4E adventure, sounds like it has a similar theme.

We can knock on the Prism Pentad all we want, but those books did do "killing a Sorcerer King" right. Killing Kalak ended up being the easy part. All the crazy fallout from his death became the real challenge.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Android Blues posted:

What Epic Destiny would you suggest he had then?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I will not tolerate any more of this Baxa trash talk! Baxa is Dark Sun!

Show me one piece of Brom work that is more Dark Sun than this little fella.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
I hate muls because of that illustration.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Attilla posted:

What Epic Destiny would you suggest he had then?

You laugh, but Beowulf is the exact image of an epic-tier Martial character. He's not magical, he's not superpowered, he's just so incredibly buff he can swim across seas and grapple unarmed with steel-skinned monsters.

So, to answer your question, a grappler fighter with the Adamantine Soldier destiny.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I like that he's spitting. Also, Baxa's color art is even worse than his b&w.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

jigokuman posted:

Onward, beetle wagon.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Android Blues posted:

he also died.

Anytime you introduce a dragon and the whole party doesn't say OH gently caress you're doing it wrong. When someone suggests standing and fighting the whole table should look at him like he's a retard

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Liesmith posted:

he also died.

Anytime you introduce a dragon and the whole party doesn't say OH gently caress you're doing it wrong. When someone suggests standing and fighting the whole table should look at him like he's a retard

Yeah, but he killed the dragon, you know? Job done. The dragon didn't even best him in single combat - he was killed by its poisonous blood after finishing it off, which is pretty much the archetype of cowardly, undeserved victory.

Of course, Beowulf was in 4e terms like at least in the mid-twenties in level, but he was fighting solo! If he'd only had a warlord around to shout him back to consciousness, like every dragon ever would have gone down like a punk.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
he did that's what the spear guy who sticks around is. But Beowulf just dies on his rear end, his last thoughts of the sweet loot he just got

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That said I do agree, dragons should be badass and terrifying, but so should your heroes, unless you're running low fantasy 4e or something. I mean, yeah, the dragon as a literary figure is like if Satan was part crocodile and could breath fire, but your heroes in this game are like...well, like Beowulf the fighter, or St. George (who incidentally wasn't a demigod either and slew a dragon basically without much fuss) the paladin, or Medea the wizard/cleric. Unless you're talking low Heroic tier, 4e characters are Big drat Heroes and part of the appeal of that is that they will fight, even if they know they're outmatched, because that's the heroic thing to do.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

haha this opinion is really inappropriate for the Dark Sun thread

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
Somehow, this conversation strikes me as increasingly un-Sword and Sorcery.

Android Blues posted:

yeah this

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

jigokuman posted:

This guy looks like an Asian as drawn by a man who still uses the term "Chinamen".

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Squizzle posted:

This guy looks like an Asian as drawn by a man who still uses the term "Chinamen".

I think he looks like Piccolo from Dragon Ball and it horrifies me because I never watched those goddamn shows.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Liesmith posted:

he also died.

I ran a 3e game back in the day with the basic plot of:

First adventure: Rumors of a dragon horde guarded by a young dragon abound. Players get together and kill young wyrmling with help of several npc's, take their share of horde home. Young Wyrmling's parent finds out, gets pissed, PC's spend 9 levels worth of adventures trying not get killed by an angry Great Wyrm.

Nothing says OH gently caress like a giant white dragon trying to eat more than it waiting for you outside the tomb of some undead guy and his loot.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Not really in light of the whole start at level 3 and your stats range from 5-20 instead of 3-18 thing from 2nd edition.

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet

jigokuman posted:

that guy is going to suffer from SEVERE HEAT STROKE!!!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
TiA

Click here for the full 940x1226 image.

THIS IS ATHAS

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Liesmith posted:

I think this is why I love the Lady of Pain. She's the one character in all of D&D who is explicitly not statted out, and the designers bent over backwards to make sure that she didn't fit intp any of the accepted categories for a powerful being.

quote:

I think they should be beatable, but it should be the highlight of the story. After all, slaying a dragon is a classic heroic deed, but its always the highlight of a career of heroism. Decide where the campaign is going to end, and that's when you fight the dragon.

In 4th Ed terms, you never see less than an Ancient Red Dragon (which is nearly a god already), or lesser Ancient buffed with a template. Even then, design some gimmicks so it's not just a solo slog.

In Dark Sun, on the other hand, dragons aren't really classical dragons. The Sorceror Kings are mostly a long way off from completing the transformation. If you fight one, it's probably because you are one as well, or are something equally world-shaking.

It's kind of ironic that Dark Sun introduced epic levels to D&D, but at the same time seems the setting least suited for reaching epic levels in.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

TiA

Click here for the full 940x1226 image.

THIS IS ATHAS

When gay pride parades turn deadly!

Have there been any leaks for the 4e art?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

Also, Baxa art does suck in general.

I don't understand the hate:

Especially the last one, it's basically the Dark Sunniest

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'd have to look at his line art in the Dark Sun manuals. His paintings tend to be better.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tendrilsfor20 posted:

I don't understand the hate:

Especially the last one, it's basically the Dark Sunniest

those are all ugly, everything is weirdly knobbly and orange. The liquid from the dripping dead guy's face looks like it's made out of orange wood. The last one is the least offensive to the eyes but that elf doesn't look like he's alive at all and his mask is knobbly as hell for no reason

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Also, those were made well after 1991. A man's work can improve with time.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the goblin warrior honestly looks like he was whittled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Liesmith posted:

those are all ugly, everything is weirdly knobbly and orange. The liquid from the dripping dead guy's face looks like it's made out of orange wood. The last one is the least offensive to the eyes but that elf doesn't look like he's alive at all and his mask is knobbly as hell for no reason

All of this sounds Dark Sun as gently caress to me. Go play Forgotten Realms if you want to be fancy elves with giant swords. Dark Sun is for knobbly wooden trolls that spit and wield sharpened jawbones strapped to other bones.

YOU ARE HOT AND THIRSTY.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread