Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

How did the bald guy get so fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hot, thirsty, and too poo for adequate protection from the sun.

Brom's peons at least wear big round hats and goggles. Some even have most of their skin covered by robes!

E:

Squizzle posted:

How did the bald guy get so fat?

Knowing Athas, he was probably impregnated by Gith marauders.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Knowing Athas, he was probably impregnated by Gith marauders.

ManMythLegend posted:

"That's the wasteland for you..."

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So I was looking though Dragon Kings again and came across this gem which I had never noticed before since I never played with the Battlesystem stuff. I'm talking about the bolded text in particular:

Mekillot Ram posted:

The enormous frame of the mekillot ram is built around its power source— a living mekillot. The 50-60' structure is made of wood and hardened leather, harnessed directly to the animal and supported on eight separate axles. The 16 wheels are wide, to support the vehicle’s great weight. The mekillot cannot be removed from the ram and must be fed and watered within its shell.

With a single mekillot for power, the ram is very slow. When maneuvering in combat, the mekillot ram is usually fitted with a slave harness and 40 slaves to help pull the vehicle, which doubles its speed. Without slave assistance, the ram cannot move up even moderate slopes.

ManMythLegend posted:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 12, 2010

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

See also the silt skimmer, the interior of whose wheels are an "endless staircase" walked by slaves (or the reanimate bodies of dead slaves).

An endless staircase that you walk until dead, at which point your corpse is revived to continue walking until it falls apart--all so that a merchant house can take a shortcut on a trade road.

"ManMythLegend posted:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I really wish they would start releasing some of the new art. They've got to have some of it laying around already. I mean this is pretty sweet, even if it's not Brom:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I'm mad because it looks like they've changed the campaign setting art to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sun-Campaign-Setting-Supplement/dp/0786954930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266009176&sr=8-1

And anyone know if they were able to get Brom to do a piece or two? I know they said he was on another project but he wanted to make time to get something done.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

ManMythLegend posted:

PeterWeller posted:

I'm mad because it looks like they've changed the campaign setting art to this:

At least it's still the cover for the Creature Catalog.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

I dont even know.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

ritorix posted:

I dont even know.

THIS IS DARK SUN

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tom "I'm just gonna make some poo poo up and draw thri-kreen wrong now" Baxa

(The part about kreen being wrong is referring to pics in the '91 boxed set, not the Complete Gladiators)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ritorix posted:

I dont even know.

I want to believe this was intended for Gamma World. I want to believe.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ritorix posted:

I dont even know.

Maybe they're just a couple of psionicists who are really good at psychometabolism.

Really good...

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I think it illustrates understatement. The guy beaming in the main part of the picture is equipped with everything possible, including extra arms. He feels ready for anything.

But lumpy down below has it right: He's got a sturdy mace for bashing, a nice punching dagger for stabbing, and his forearm has been cleverly converted into an axe for chopping.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
It's like some sort of living, violent Vitruvian Man.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

http://www.baxaart.com/

The best web design that 1998 has to offer.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Common fantasy is about being Mel Gibson. Dark Sun is about being the feral kid or the gyro captain or Humungus.

I like Brom's art, too, and I hated Baxa at first, but as I got further into the setting, I thought that Baxa represented it better. People are dirty and ugly, with bad haircuts. Brom is really fantastic and he created some really iconic pieces for the setting, but overall I think his work is too ethereal. The Baxa art balances that out with something that tells you that life is cheap, short, weird and brutal.

One minute you're a rich merchant with countless slaves and never need to walk on your own two feet, the next you're marching under the burning sun because your beautiful wife caught the eye of a templar who had you arrested and enslaved under false charges of bribery and avoiding tariffs.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
if you don't hook all the local templars up with women and whatever else you can give them you deserve what you get

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I like Baxa's art for inhuman creatures, but anything human or essentially humanlike ends up looking silly.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Come on, this guy looks mostly normal :derp:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

jigokuman posted:

Common fantasy is about being Mel Gibson. Dark Sun is about being the feral kid or the gyro captain or Humungus.

I like Brom's art, too, and I hated Baxa at first, but as I got further into the setting, I thought that Baxa represented it better. People are dirty and ugly, with bad haircuts. Brom is really fantastic and he created some really iconic pieces for the setting, but overall I think his work is too ethereal. The Baxa art balances that out with something that tells you that life is cheap, short, weird and brutal.

One minute you're a rich merchant with countless slaves and never need to walk on your own two feet, the next you're marching under the burning sun because your beautiful wife caught the eye of a templar who had you arrested and enslaved under false charges of bribery and avoiding tariffs.

I'll give you that Baxa did some incredibly evocative pieces for the setting. On the other hand, it all has this comic element to it, and that often undermines the grim scene being portrayed.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stuntman Mike posted:

I can assure you that's just about how I'd look if I saw the creature depicted, too.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Stuntman Mike posted:

This is how I'm going to start dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Stuntman Mike posted:

"fuuuuuuuuuuuuck thiiiiiiiiiiis"

that's an awesome picture. it represents what any sane person would actually do when encountering a creature like that. not "alright cover me I'm going to shoot arrows at it," but "welp, that's quite enough of that, I'm going to move across the country and settle down in the most boring place I can possibly find"

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Darksun was the first setting i properly DM'ed back in 96 and ,boy, it was loving wonderful.

The campaign went for like one year (yay highschool) only to end where half-elf fighter tried to mess with a very powerful psionic because he wanted to brown-nose groups elf preserver. It was a pretty legal trip from lvl 3 to 9 and people got attached to their characters so much that camp debates took more time than combat after some point.

I still have Ivory Triangle Boxed Set in pretty mint condition (my first TSR purchase as well). We even used the calendar and trade route schedule thing that comes with it and now thinking that it was 13 god-loving-drat years ago made me all :smith:

Just dropped by to say "That's the wasteland for you..."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Speaking of that calendar, why does it have a goddamn kenku as a constellation? I am pretty sure Athas does not have kenkus, as a default setting assumption.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Squizzle posted:

Speaking of that calendar, why does it have a goddamn kenku as a constellation? I am pretty sure Athas does not have kenkus, as a default setting assumption.

Well not ANYMORE, no.

That's the wasteland for you.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's just kind of culturally curious that an extinct and forgotten species would be recalled by name in stellar constellation.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Squizzle posted:

It's just kind of culturally curious that an extinct and forgotten species would be recalled by name in stellar constellation.

We still have a constellation for pegasus.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ManMythLegend posted:

We still have a constellation for pegasus.

How many people could pick it out, though? Constellations of any kind in the real world aren't a good comparison because I would be surprised if the vast majority of people knew anything beyond the dipper.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Drox posted:

How many people could pick it out, though? Constellations of any kind in the real world aren't a good comparison because I would be surprised if the vast majority of people knew anything beyond the dipper.

The vast majority of people cannot pick out the Big Dipper, I assure you.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Everyone's heard of Alpha Centauri. Guess what constellation that's in?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Drox posted:

But they used to be able to, when you could still see the stars.

So far as I'm aware, no pegasi in the middle ages, either.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Drox posted:

You mean Ursa Major and Ursa Minor.

Also, I don't how much thought the average Athasian puts into the name of constellations either. I would bet most of the city folks couldn't give a drat about them, and the farmers and traders who would use them would just call them whatever they were taught. The only people who would use that formal calendar like that would probably be scholars and stuff and they would certainly know that kenkus were real at some point in the past.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Also, the pegasus is neither an extinct--it's mythical--nor forgotten--She-Ra rode one!--creature. And in my own personally Athas, scholars certainly don't have any idea that kenku once existed. Athas's history has been eroded by sand and time and the struggle for life overriding any desire for learning.

Edit: Also, it's odd that the name would be preserved instead of experiencing some linguistic drift. Like: "That constellation is called the kank." "It looks nothing like a kank." "That's the wasteland for you..."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Linguistics nerd represent. :pseudo:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

You mean Ursa Major and Ursa Minor.

the big dipper is not the same thing as ursa major

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you sure about that?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wikipedia posted:

The Plough or the Big Dipper is an asterism of seven stars that has been recognized as a distinct grouping in many cultures from time immemorial. The comprising stars are the seven brightest of the formal constellation Ursa Major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Squizzle posted:

Edit: Also, it's odd that the name would be preserved instead of experiencing some linguistic drift. Like: "That constellation is called the kank." "It looks nothing like a kank." "That's the wasteland for you..."

Well it might experience drift but on the other hand it just as plausibly might not. For example here in Finland the Big Dipper is even today called by a name that originally meant a type of fishnet, but (as a linguistics nerd) I'm pretty sure that 97% of Finns don't have any idea what the name actually means. Pretty much the only use for the word today is in the name of the asterism. And it sure as hell looks nothing like a fishnet!

So it's really not that far-fetched to think that (ancient) Athasian star charts or calendars would refer to a constellation by a word/name that bears no significance to modern desertfolk. "That constellation is called the kenku." "What's a kenku?" "How the gently caress should I know? That's the wasteland for you..."

• Locked thread