Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

In my experience, this never ends. (Or it lasts over a year, at any rate.)

I'm hosed on this, a childhood friend (who I haven't seen/spoken to since like middle school) died in a single bike accident a couple years ago. Every time I bring it up, it's "REMEMBER [friend's name]?!".

Never mind that it would be my second bike, and that I've been riding on and off for the last 5 or so years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Endless Mike posted:

In my experience, this never ends. (Or it lasts over a year, at any rate.)

I haven't gotten the "that'll kill you!" in the last 3-4 years. I get surprised looks from people when I ride in the rain, but nothing besides that, and it's santa barbara, so rain is a handful of times a year thing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The quick and easy way(read: dick move) to silence those people and make sure they never bring it up again, or talk to you again for that matter, is to ask them if their dearly departed was wearing a helmet and gear.

Auslander
Nov 26, 2003

I've been searching for my next bike since i put my current one into the garage for winter, and I think i found a deal that's too good to be true.

It's a '00 VFR800, just shy of 10,000KM (6,200miles) for $5,500 Canadian. Talked to the owner, and his story is that he bought it as a tourer to use for a once-a-year week long trip and doesn't use it anymore. I've only seen pictures and am seriously considering taking a 4 hour (each way) trip to go see it.

Is there anything specific I should look for, especially on a bike that's sat around for most of it's life?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Auslander posted:

I've been searching for my next bike since i put my current one into the garage for winter, and I think i found a deal that's too good to be true.

It's a '00 VFR800, just shy of 10,000KM (6,200miles) for $5,500 Canadian. Talked to the owner, and his story is that he bought it as a tourer to use for a once-a-year week long trip and doesn't use it anymore. I've only seen pictures and am seriously considering taking a 4 hour (each way) trip to go see it.

Is there anything specific I should look for, especially on a bike that's sat around for most of it's life?

The wear items, chain, fork seals, tire age would be the things I'd look at first. Plus time of last oil change.

MisterFreshman
Aug 30, 2008
Haven't rode since I was 11 and had a YZ80.

Looking to get a street bike to get back and forth to school from when it's nice out so I don't kill my 04 intrepid that just hit 200k miles.

I was looking at the Ninja 250s and Ninja 500s. I like the 08 and later models of the 250, they don't look like something from 1993, what are the odds I'll get one for ~2500 or less?

Also, is there a decent place to bike shop outside of craigslist? Cycletrader seems to be for people selling $10k harleys and hayabusas, and ebay is hit an dmiss.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
3000$ is probably the lowest price you'll find for an 08', chances are it will have been tipped over or something of that nature.

2000-3000 can easily find you a nice ninja 500 though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MisterFreshman posted:

Also, is there a decent place to bike shop outside of craigslist? Cycletrader seems to be for people selling $10k harleys and hayabusas, and ebay is hit an dmiss.

See if there is a local rider forum. I've picked up a bike off of the local one here and there are usually some decent deals that pop up before people put them on craigslist.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It sounds really morbid, but if you know someone who died in a car crash, you could just bring that up when they try to pull the BIKES ARE A DEAD WARRANT thing.

I'm lucky though - I have family and friends who ride too, so I almost never get grief.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

It sounds really morbid, but if you know someone who died in a car crash, you could just bring that up when they try to pull the BIKES ARE A DEAD WARRANT thing.

That coupled with the facts approach usually shuts people up. This is one of the biggest ones.

quote:

The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

More here:
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/hurt-report.html

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

That coupled with the facts approach usually shuts people up. This is one of the biggest ones.

More here:
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/hurt-report.html

I know it's all we've got as far as motorcycle statistics, but as someone who's taken test and measures classes in college, the Hurt Report is borderline useless today.

edit: that particular statistic especially

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I know it's all we've got as far as motorcycle statistics, but as someone who's taken test and measures classes in college, the Hurt Report is borderline useless today.

It's a lot less useless than MY FRIEND'S BROTHER'S ROOMMATE'S 2ND COUSIN DIED ON A BIKE, IT'S A DEATH MACHINE! :downswords:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Well you know that and I know that but they don't have to know that ;)

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

blugu64 posted:

The quick and easy way(read: dick move) to silence those people and make sure they never bring it up again, or talk to you again for that matter, is to ask them if their dearly departed was wearing a helmet and gear.

It never really goes away, that whole "murdercycle" thing. I've just learned to ignore it, because while the dearly departed was drunk, untrained, unlicensed, and uninsured, it was still somehow the bike's fault.

But my biggest pet peeve from the nonriders is them thinking I don't ride a Harley because "it must be too much bike" for me.

e: And while the Hurt report is severely outdated at this point, it's still the most comprehensive motorcycle accident study that has been done. I would contribute cash to an updated one if a viable option comes along.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 14, 2010

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I hear the same thing. It does take a real man to handle 72HP and 12in tassels coming out of the apehangers. Maybe one day...

Seriously though, my stepfather has (among many others) a '59 Duoglide that he says I can have when I move back east. You can bet your rear end I will ride the hell out of that thing.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Bugdrvr posted:

I hear the same thing. It does take a real man to handle 72HP and 12in tassels coming out of the apehangers. Maybe one day...

Seriously though, my stepfather has (among many others) a '59 Duoglide that he says I can have when I move back east. You can bet your rear end I will ride the hell out of that thing.

To be fair, this guy I worked with has an Indian from the 40s He kept talking about the crazy rear end controls the thing had with like a hand shifter between his legs and the clutch on the foot.

I could never figure that poo poo out.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

A friend of a friend is selling a 79' honda cb750. 33k miles. Cosmetically its kind of beat up, but mechanically it seems pretty solid. He's lent it to me to try it out, and i'm interested in buying it for my first bike. He's asking 2k for it.

What would be a fair offer to give him?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Kin Corn Karn posted:

A friend of a friend is selling a 79' honda cb750. 33k miles. Cosmetically its kind of beat up, but mechanically it seems pretty solid. He's lent it to me to try it out, and i'm interested in buying it for my first bike. He's asking 2k for it.

What would be a fair offer to give him?

2k is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for a "beat up, probably mechanically solid" cb750. The only way I would even remotely consider spending that much on one was if it were completely pristine with pretty low miles. Hell, I've had four of the drat things and never paid over $75* :smug:. I'd say a reasonably fair offer would be in the "hey, it's a running motorcycle it's worth around a grand" range. 800-1000 bucks or so. Probably less.

*ignores the huge amount of money that went into making them rideable again*

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

needknees posted:

2k is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for a "beat up, probably mechanically solid" cb750. The only way I would even remotely consider spending that much on one was if it were completely pristine with pretty low miles. Hell, I've had four of the drat things and never paid over $75* :smug:. I'd say a reasonably fair offer would be in the "hey, it's a running motorcycle it's worth around a grand" range. 800-1000 bucks or so. Probably less.

*ignores the huge amount of money that went into making them rideable again*

Some hipster human being will pay it.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
IIRC, 79 is the first year of the DOHC bikes and really aren't collectible. They are another old UJM really, unless it is an "F" model. Then you might be able to talk 2K.

Maybe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Some hipster human being will pay it.

True, but it's still not worth that if he's a friend.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

To be fair, this guy I worked with has an Indian from the 40s He kept talking about the crazy rear end controls the thing had with like a hand shifter between his legs and the clutch on the foot.

Ah, my SF has a '39 Harley with the same setup. Non return spring foot clutch with a four speed suicide shifter. In that case, he's probably right.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

When my dad bought his new (to him) bike a few years ago he called me up saying he couldn't figure out how to shift gears on it.

I was like "Um, dad, didn't you ride a motorcycle for years? You rode one across the country."

He says, "Yeah, but there's no shifter on the gas tank."

and I went :psyduck:

(his bike was a '47 Harley with a suicide shifter - and yes, I talked him into taking the MSF.)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Gnomad posted:

IIRC, 79 is the first year of the DOHC bikes and really aren't collectible. They are another old UJM really, unless it is an "F" model. Then you might be able to talk 2K.

Maybe.

Yep, 79 was the first year of DOHC 750s. They may not be as collectible but it's a much more "modern" engine design and honestly makes pretty decent power. They're rated around 72hp at the crank which isn't half bad for a 31 year old bike. There's a few common weak spots of them though -- the charging system pretty much sucks and if it hasn't gone out already you can count on the rotor making GBS threads out soon. Regulator/rectifiers crap out frequently too. The stators are almost always fine though.

I've had two running 79 CB750's -- one standard K model, and an F. The other two bikes I mentioned were free parts bikes. The F has much better (but still lovely by today's standards) brakes with dual front and single rear disc versus the K's single front disc rear drum setup. Engines are identical. The F has a slightly more sporty riding position with lower bars and more rearset pegs. If it's an F it could command a slight premium, but honestly with what little info I have from it I wouldn't say it's worth over a grand.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.
New rider here.

I found someone in my area selling a '72 Honda CB350 for $600. I have the money, so I figure what the hell I might as well start riding this spring. Only thing is I haven't ridden anything bigger than a moped, and I live in a major city (Boston) that I could only describe as unfriendly towards motorcycles. I'm gonna go check out the CB this weekend and maybe rent a pickup to haul it back to my place. I plan on picking up a decent full-face helmet tomorrow afternoon, but do I need to look into leathers as well? Boots and gloves maybe, but I don't want to be out there on an old-rear end bike lookin' like some ninja astronaut doing 40 mph.

I'm really excited to start riding but I don't want to lay it down my first day, or somehow the bike fucks up from being old and sends me straight into the pavement and ruin my whole summer (or life). There's definitely a couple riding schools within a short drive, but I don't think they get started up for another month or two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Read these two threads:
MSF
Gear

For some specific answers: wear all the gear you can. You don't need leather, but it is the best protection you can get. I don't own any other than my boots and gloves. Get good gloves and boots. They're easy to put on and can protect you far more than you realize, and gloves, at least, are relatively cheap. You'd be surprised how much blood you can lose through your palms. There's good retro-style gear, too, if you're that concerned about appearance (and really, don't be - would you rather look like a Power Ranger when riding or a pizza when not?).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Yeticopter posted:

New rider here.

I found someone in my area selling a '72 Honda CB350 for $600. I have the money, so I figure what the hell I might as well start riding this spring. Only thing is I haven't ridden anything bigger than a moped, and I live in a major city (Boston) that I could only describe as unfriendly towards motorcycles. I'm gonna go check out the CB this weekend and maybe rent a pickup to haul it back to my place. I plan on picking up a decent full-face helmet tomorrow afternoon, but do I need to look into leathers as well? Boots and gloves maybe, but I don't want to be out there on an old-rear end bike lookin' like some ninja astronaut doing 40 mph.

I'm really excited to start riding but I don't want to lay it down my first day, or somehow the bike fucks up from being old and sends me straight into the pavement and ruin my whole summer (or life). There's definitely a couple riding schools within a short drive, but I don't think they get started up for another month or two.

Let me ask you a question: Do you like your skin? Especially how it's attached to you?

Yes, get a jacket, gloves and boots at the very least. Safe motorcycle gear does not have to make you look like a power ranger. Many gear manufacturers make lines that look more classic and understated, and don't think a normal leather or textile jacket is going to do. "Motorcycle Style" jackets are not stitched to take the force of ripping across tarmac and the leather will be nowhere near thick enough to protect you. And don' think it's ok 'cause you're not riding that fast.

Most motorcycle accidents don't happen at high speed. I live in a place where the max speed limit is 35mph and people still get killed on bikes.

A fellow KTM rider here got in an accident 2 months ago at 30mph, he nearly lost his foot, luckily he got away with losing his big toe and the one next to it; Fancy jacket but no boots. An idiot friend of mine got hit from the side at less than 25mph, broken arm, 1 month in the hospital and two large skin grafts; No jacket or boots.

You're looking at an old bike there, unless you are mechanically minded or have some experience in fixing motor vehicles I would not recommend running it as your first and only bike. Be prepared to budget for new tyres and fluids at a minimum if it has been sitting neglected.

This may seem like quite a depressing and discouraging reply, and for that I am sorry. Riding is awesome but going into it unprepared is stupidity of the highest order. Go on an MSF/CBT or whatever they offer, get yourself some safe gear (always buy the safest gear you can afford, looks should be a second consideration here) and get a bike you can manage. The CB350 is a cool vintage bike but you're just going to have a miserable and/or expensive time if you don't have the wherewithal to keep it running.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
As long as you check it out before riding there shouldn't be much fear that it'll throw you to the ground. Most wrecks are rider related. There's some pretty inconspicuous gear that won't make you look like a power ranger (give it time it'll grow on you). I've been wanting to buy this jacket for a year or so now but I'd probably sweat my rear end off in it in Texas.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Yeticopter posted:

I plan on picking up a decent full-face helmet tomorrow afternoon, but do I need to look into leathers as well? Boots and gloves maybe, but I don't want to be out there on an old-rear end bike lookin' like some ninja astronaut doing 40 mph.
Not necessarily leathers, but you want a jacket and gloves for sure sure sure sure. That and a full-face helmet are the bare minimum I would ever wear on a bike. Boots highly, highly recommended if you enjoy your ankles. Pants are really advisable too but they're the most inconvenient out of everything imho.

Last time I crashed it was a small lowside at literally 10mph. My glove took abrasion damage in 4 different spots. My jacket took abrasion damage in at least 3 different spots. I was just wearing jeans at the time and while my knee only received abrasion in one spot, that one wound is STILL healing two months later (and itching like a mother right this second, may I add). So if I hadn't had on my jacket, I would still be healing in at least 3 separate areas of my torso. Not fun.

As far as looking flashy, a lot of manufacturers make simple black leather jackets that are perfect for a cafe style look. For example, we sell these Dainese Zen jackets all day long to people who come in with older cafe style bikes like yours. The Dai is pretty pricey, but it's just an example of what's out there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yep. In the accident I had, I shredded the knee of my jeans, and the scrape I got from that took almost as long to heal as the fractured elbow I also got.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you're not digging pants, some 10$ (or more expensive/nicer/more comfortable) knee guards can save you a lot of agony. Knees take a lot of abuse in accidents, and even something that seems like it wouldn't offer that much protection can really save you.

There's also options for armor that you can wear under a jacket and stuff, but you can find a nicely styled normal looking jacket, plus some non-power ranger gloves, some relatively sane boots, and kneepads, and be very well protected for street riding.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Make sure you really don't want to look like a power ranger before you buy! I bought relatively tame looking Joe Rocket gear and some icon gloves and now wish I went for it and got some bright white, red or yellow gear.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
FYI: I bought a set of Icon Field Armor for the knees/Shin and they fit under jeans without any issue. They are very comfortable as well. Keep in mind that I'm 6'1" and 170 LBS. I also have the forearm/elbow armor but it is uncomfortable. I went with an armored jacket instead.

Don't consider anything but a full face helmet. I'm glad I switched! It saved my face.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Crayvex posted:

Don't consider anything but a full face helmet. I'm glad I switched! It saved my face.

ya bro but if you werent wearing a helmet like a pussy you could have seen the sitch better and avoided wrecking all together

you gotta learn to prop yourself up on your knee and elbow armor so nothing else touches the ground when you fall popping a wheelie, thats how the pros roll

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the general rule of thumb is; what would you want on your body if you jumped out of your car at 40mph?

mewse
May 2, 2006

kylej posted:

I think the general rule of thumb is; what would you want on your body if you jumped out of your car at 40mph?

Something like this i think

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

kylej posted:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Eh I wear full leather pants and jacket with armor pads in it, I think I look pretty good and damnit, I like my skin, so i don't give a gently caress what people say. It's also really comfy when you're actually on the bike and moving, I feel more complete.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
You know, when I first started looking at bikes, I thought the power rangers in their full leathers and helmets that were color-matched with their bikes were all silly-looking and retarded.

Now I'm looking at such a getup for myself. Fortunately my bike is black, so it's easy to match the gear to :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tsaven Nava posted:

You know, when I first started looking at bikes, I thought the power rangers in their full leathers and helmets that were color-matched with their bikes were all silly-looking and retarded.

Now I'm looking at such a getup for myself. Fortunately my bike is black, so it's easy to match the gear to :D

I love wearing ridiculous motorcycle gear. It's another element of the enjoyment I get from riding. I'll stop at a grocery store just to buy a bottle of water or some other poo poo I don't need. Cranky old housewives and little kids can't comprehend what they're looking it. It's great.