Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm guessing Ippo will stay standing through the entire fight, and then the judges will give him the win on points because he is a japanese champ in Japan fighting a foreigner.

this would actually be hilarious and would own, a satisfactory conclusion to this fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Sojourn posted:

So, is there a decent alternative to this manga out there? I need something with the same general premise (doesn't have to be boxing) to fill the void now that I'm no longer reading it.

Shamo is great, but it's basically Kenichi + Berserk.

Which makes it amazing, but soul-crushing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sojourn posted:

So, is there a decent alternative to this manga out there? I need something with the same general premise (doesn't have to be boxing) to fill the void now that I'm no longer reading it.

Holyland isn't terrible. It's about street fighting but the dude writing it seems to have a general idea about combat sports. It's still fresh enough (70 chapters) that the main character can bust some fairly realistic moves so you won't see poo poo like boxers using loving overhand punches when they EVOLVE (rather you get a guy who just punches to branch out and become more of a muay thai fighter.)

There's even a bit of grappling in there!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ahaha. Kenichi is nice but the fanservice makes me feel dirty just looking at it :psyduck:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ippo's sort of unique in that boxing is a pure sport (with magical monkey powers), and there is virtually no fighting outside the ring. Most martial arts shounen emphasizes fighting over official matches. What little I managed to watch of Ashita no Joe (the other big boxing classic, but painfully archaic) involved Joe beating the living gently caress out of yakuza. Even Prince of Tennis has those hilarious scenes where they take on roving thugs using tennis.

I can't think of any other pure sports shounen series that involve fighting, while most fighting shounen series don't have much to do with the sport. It would help if you clarified which you are looking for- sports or fighting manga.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Even Prince of Tennis has those hilarious scenes where they take on roving thugs using tennis.
Oh it gets better than that:

http://www.onemanga.com/New_Prince_of_Tennis/24/08-09/
http://www.onemanga.com/New_Prince_of_Tennis/24/10/

gently caress you eagles!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fuckin' eagles! :bahgawd:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

page not found posted:

Ahaha. Kenichi is nice but the fanservice makes me feel dirty just looking at it :psyduck:

Yea but

http://www.onemanga.com/Historys_Strongest_Disciple_Kenichi/349/17/
http://www.onemanga.com/Historys_Strongest_Disciple_Kenichi/349/18/

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:smugdog:-mouse is the best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kenichi is a hilarious shounen fighting series that only vaguely based on real martial arts. I love it dearly, but it isn't much like HnI when it was good.

Kenji is a sort of weird manga about a kid learning chinese martial arts who at one point subs in for his school's boxing club and wins with a dempsey roll (a.k.a. 'shovel hook'). A lot of it is about the philosophy and history of kung fu, though.

Also, take that you fuckin' endangered species! You should have known better than to attack a bunch of tennis players.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

There are only a few points in Kenichi where I thought the fights were absolutely incredible. Most of Ippo is on that incredible caliber, for reference. Kenichi usually his full stride nearing the end of major arcs when the poo poo typically hits the fan :v:

Past that, it's pretty drat funny to see how the masters torment Kenichi.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Cap N' Crunch posted:

this would actually be hilarious and would own, a satisfactory conclusion to this fight
The most hilariously corrupt judges ever.

:stat: Well Ippo hit him once!
:wal: Yeah but Woli is brown so it counts more!

apekillape posted:

Shamo is great, but it's basically Kenichi + Berserk.

Which makes it amazing, but soul-crushing.
Also it's frozen right now at the tail end of pretty much the entire series (insofar as I can tell) while the author and artist duke it out in court. The manga is pretty good, and it has a movie too.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Eyeshield 21 is pretty good. It has the same concept except with football.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Eyeshield 21 is pretty good. It has the same concept except with football.

Wow, I completely forgot about that. I love the living crap out of this manga, anyone who hasn't gotten a chance to read it I envy you getting to. Get on it asap, it's one of the best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I care about football to the exact same degree that I care about boxing (not at all), so it couldn't hurt.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
shamo was great

then it turned into a story about a gay dancer with healing hands or something

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Forest Fuckery posted:

I think i'll start rereading this and hoping the last few fights never happen.

This poo poo is starting to get worse than Baki (Which, based on a few chapters seems to consist of revealing ULTIMATE MOVES to each other, homoerotic posing and looking like :smug:)

You aren't mistaken, Baki is 99 percent ridiculous homoerotic posing, 1 percent entertaining OTT violence.

If you think woli is dreadful (he is), you really don't want to know about Pickle :gonk:

It started with so much promise as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
While Baki does have a LOT of homoerotic posing it is still awesome. The fight at the end of the second series is great because they're literally just smashing each other in the face for the entire fight. Its really over the top but never pretended not to be and seeing all the different styles its just fun. That and Yujiro is a great villain because he's a complete bastard always. I'm not really sure why you have such a big issue with Pickle because Baki has always been that stupid. I mean poo poo you see someone kill a guy by blowing into his ear having the brains squirt out the other side long before Pickle shows up.

Shamo started to fix the problems it by completely ignoring the mystical martial arts arc but is likely to never be completed.

Jose fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 12, 2010

KoB
May 1, 2009

Well, I care about football to the exact same degree that I care about boxing (not at all), so it couldn't hurt.

I dont give a poo poo about basketball or football but Eyeshield 21 and Slam Dunk are loving awesome :colbert:

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

KoB posted:

I dont give a poo poo about basketball or football but Eyeshield 21 and Slam Dunk are loving awesome :colbert:

I love the poo poo out of basketball and football is great too and Slam Dunk is way better than Eyeshield 21.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

L.E. Cheetah posted:

I love the poo poo out of basketball and football is great too and Slam Dunk is way better than Eyeshield 21.

Well yeah, but it's SLAM DUNK. Haha, it's way unfair, Slam Dunk is better than pretty much everything ever.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I thought there was some news about this fight being over but instead it's just a bunch of talk about other series. That's ok though, because I am totally going to read Slam Dunk now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Slam Dunk is by the guy who does Vagabond right? Really need to give it a read.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I just wonder, what will happen after this godawful Woli arc?
NO YOU'RE NOT READY FOR THE WORLD STAGE YET YOU NEED TO FACE YET ANOTHER STUPID GIMMICK he's real good and was raised by kangaroos

And in that matter what if all of the world rankers are one horrible gimmick after another ala Punch Out?

page not found posted:

There are only a few points in Kenichi where I thought the fights were absolutely incredible. Most of Ippo is on that incredible caliber, for reference. Kenichi usually his full stride nearing the end of major arcs when the poo poo typically hits the fan :v:
Kenichi is funny because it's all about the heroes training endlessly to learn The Move Of The Week and then the masters occasionally come along to say gently caress you to all laws of physics and punch out sharks.

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 13, 2010

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Sir Lucius posted:

I thought there was some news about this fight being over but instead it's just a bunch of talk about other series. That's ok though, because I am totally going to read Slam Dunk now.

Do this, because

apekillape posted:

Slam Dunk is better than pretty much everything ever.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Jose posted:

Slam Dunk is by the guy who does Vagabond right? Really need to give it a read.

Slam Dunk is one of the most classic manga ever, and it's completely earned the title. It's the grandpappy of a lot of sports manga, and it's got a lot of funny cliche tropes, but the thing is that it's kind of the originator for a lot of those. It's like when you see Dragonball now and say "Oh, that's so common in X type of show", but when Dragonball was new it was the first time anyone had seen anything like that.

Even having said that, I feel it's only half-true, because I never got sick of reading Slam Dunk or had to give it a pass based on its age. If it came out right this second I think it would still stand up as a truly phenomenal manga.

Another one that is so good I wish I could forget it just so I could read it again. Everyone get on it, seriously.

------------

Also: Yeah, think about a guy writing a high school basketball manga and then doing so well with Vagabond. That's how great a writer he is, it's pretty much a completely seamless transition to me. Slam Dunk is just as good as Vagabond and it's a completely other animal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Jose posted:

Slam Dunk is by the guy who does Vagabond right?
Oh poo poo I just instantly became interested in Slam Dunk.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've started on Slam Dunk, and while it hasn't really grabbed me it is decent thus far. Considering it actually has an ending I'm sure it will get better eventually.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Considering it actually has an ending I'm sure it will get better eventually.

This is actually pretty universally true. I think most of time when I get annoyed/tired of a manga, it's because I have no idea when the author will ever cut to the chase and end the drat. Or if he ever will.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
gently caress, I figured we'd had a surprise chapter out of nowhere and people were reporting in about how Woli's gloves had grown bananas out of the end like some kind of hosed up monkey-katars because he's such a genius. Guess I'll go check out Slam Dunk now that I've seen it get so much praise! :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've started on Slam Dunk, and while it hasn't really grabbed me it is decent thus far. Considering it actually has an ending I'm sure it will get better eventually.

I tried reading Slam Dunk and just couldn't get into it. I can't find basketball interesting no matter how hard I try :( Eyeshield 21 is pretty cool, though, largely because of the variety of unique characters.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Ytlaya posted:

I tried reading Slam Dunk and just couldn't get into it. I can't find basketball interesting no matter how hard I try :( Eyeshield 21 is pretty cool, though, largely because of the variety of unique characters.
Try something like Kuroko no Basuke. It's about the same level of seriousness as Eyeshield 21 in terms of plays and such, i.e. over the top and maybe a bit embellished, but probably doable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I hear ya. I've struggled through 100 chapters of Slam Dunk so far and it is boring the gently caress out of me.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

I hear ya. I've struggled through 100 chapters of Slam Dunk so far and it is boring the gently caress out of me.

I sincerely do not understand you people.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'm exactly the same. I just couldn't get in to it :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think it has something to do with how the rules on fouling are actually being enforced, whereas, say, something like Eyeshield 21 was all about dudes finding ridiculous ways to slam each other onto the ground.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

And there are teams of dudes with stretchy arms and poo poo :mad:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The fact is it's hard to keep any sports anime or manga exciting over time because authors always try to introduce new elements and strategies into every fight/game and they cant keep it up forever. Once you get to the pinnacle of what makes sense in the real sport, trying to keep thinking up new ideas beyond that goes into lovely gimmick country fast.

Morikawa's problem is that he just stretched the manga out way too loving long and has strayed way too far into gimmick country. Ippo certainly did not need as many title defenses as he had before moving on to the world stage and the poo poo that happens in the background with Itagaki and the like isn't very interesting at this point and just serves to further postpone the only plot development anyone truly gives a poo poo about (Takamura and Ippo's fights, to a lesser extent if Aoki and Kimura will ever win a belt).

I feel like Morikawa has decided he wants Ippo to be his life's work and is determined to drag the series out for as long as possible in any way he physically can think of to do so.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think Slam Dunk is pretty good. What's really nice about it is how easy it is to read. You can polish off 50 chapters in a day easily if don't have much else to do. One thing I really like is how retribution for arrogance isn't harshly punished. I really like that Hanamichi is a self proclaimed genius, and at no point has a struggled with this perception of himself so far. So it's like having a comic where Takamura is the main character, which is awesome.

On the topic of Eyeshield, I enjoyed it, but I think they could have made it a lot more interesting in terms of coaching strategy. I know it was supposed to introduce newcomers to American Football, but after they taught the basics it seemed liked the focused more on ridiculous superpowered characters instead things like 3-4 defenses, wildcat formation, flea flickers, etc. Maybe that would be too boring for a lot of people, but I would love to read a football manga that takes itself that seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
884: DON'T loving BOTHER

Raws out, and I don't think that needed any spoilers.

This does, though: If Ippo can last a few more brain shattering punches, he's managed to at least touch Woli again. I think we might see something retarded like a counter punch, or just a sacrificial blow.