Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What are some good nimble (and/or) touring bikes that are good for 2 up? Preferably something newer and fuel injected. I love the wide bars and easy handling of my Pegaso 650 and ideally I'd keep it, but I might sell it to add to the pot. This is all hypothetical musing, I don't even have a budget other than maybe up to £4-5000 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Whiteboy posted:

Two questions.
First, my bike seems to kind of putter along and kind of jerk around a bit when I'm in second gear at 3k-5krpm. Should I be worried? It's not a huge deal to me and it only does it at this rpm range and only in second gear but could it be foreshadowing to a problem? (I don't think it's from me going too slow as I can putter around any gear without this problem, except second.)

Second, I have a stupid parking decal that I have to stick on my bike and I was wondering if there was a way I could put it on and easily take it back off after the semester. It's like those dirtbike registration stickers you stick on your forks but this one's for parking. Anyone know of a tip for making it easier to peel off after? Or should I just slap it on and worry about peeling it off later. I was going to just bolt on a quick bracket for it but I'm 90% sure someone would just unbolt it and steal my pass :(

Both are pretty stupid question so I'm going to say sorry and thanks ahead of time :)

for the first one, what kind of bike? Carbed or fuel injected? I'll take a wild guess and say fuelling problem. If it's carbureted, do something with jets or needles or pantyhose or whatever else you do to carbs. If FI, get a power commander if it's really bad or annoying, else, shift gears! :cheers:

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Whiteboy posted:

Second, I have a stupid parking decal that I have to stick on my bike and I was wondering if there was a way I could put it on and easily take it back off after the semester. It's like those dirtbike registration stickers you stick on your forks but this one's for parking. Anyone know of a tip for making it easier to peel off after? Or should I just slap it on and worry about peeling it off later. I was going to just bolt on a quick bracket for it but I'm 90% sure someone would just unbolt it and steal my pass :(

If it's one of those stupid anti-theft stickers/decals, it will disintigrate and leave an awful, indestructible gooey mess when you try to remove it. About the only way I've managed to completely remove those is with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, a steady hand, and a razor blade. I think the threat of having your parking permit stolen is pretty low, assuming the permit will only apply for other motorcycles, so if I were you I'd just make a bracket for it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Whiteboy posted:

Second, I have a stupid parking decal that I have to stick on my bike and I was wondering if there was a way I could put it on and easily take it back off after the semester. It's like those dirtbike registration stickers you stick on your forks but this one's for parking. Anyone know of a tip for making it easier to peel off after? Or should I just slap it on and worry about peeling it off later. I was going to just bolt on a quick bracket for it but I'm 90% sure someone would just unbolt it and steal my pass
Slap it on and leave it for the guy who buys your bike from you to worry about? (eventually)
Let 'em build up semester after semester until they're 3/8" thick?
Plaster them all over the bike each semester, until your bike looks like a steamer trunk from the 1940s? (This method works better if your school has parking lots named after exotic locales, such as Vietnam, Burma, and Mozambique. YMMV if they don't.)
Put it on the fork, then buy new forks after classes are over!

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 17, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

What are some good nimble (and/or) touring bikes that are good for 2 up? Preferably something newer and fuel injected. I love the wide bars and easy handling of my Pegaso 650 and ideally I'd keep it, but I might sell it to add to the pot. This is all hypothetical musing, I don't even have a budget other than maybe up to £4-5000 or so.

Aprilia Futura?

Jabs posted:

Put it on the fork, then buy new forks after classes are over!

I've seen people put stickers over the travel of their forks. :downs:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Free seal cleaner!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My 08 ex250j has some problems with being cold...

I'm able to start almost all the time without any choke, however getting any responsive power out of the throttle without stalling when cold is almost always impossible without full or almost full choke.

Another problem is that if I let the revs run below like 2-3k when slowing from 2nd or whatever a lot of times the engine will quit even though the clutch lever is pulled in fully. I don't think it's a loose clutch cable since I don't feel any engine braking.

Lately what I've been doing in the morning is just full choke, start up immediately and ride off, keep full choke on for about a mile. (5-10 minutes usually, surface streets, bastard traffic lights) and then turning it fully off. Coming home I use choke for about 1/4 mile, and just try and keep a little throttle on so it doesn't quit.

I've read that the high fuel amount can cause wear on the engine due to removing oil. I guess I should change the oil more frequently if I have to do this always.

Could the quitting issue be due to dirty carbs or something? Is this just typical of ninja, being a sorta cheap/low cc engine?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You should have to use the choke. Not having to use the choke signifies that things are pretty rich.

Dont worry about the gas removing oil, I'm guessing whoever said that meant off the cylinder walls. Either way, dont worry about it, thats just not.......a thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Try running some seafoam through it, but it's a pretty common thing that Ninja 250s don't run well when cold. They're crazy lean from the factory, so if you want to fix the problem, I'd rejet and adjust the fuel mixture screws. But as long as it runs well once it's warmed up, I'd probably just leave it be. You could have minorly clogged pilot jets, just enough to make it unhappy at idle, you're talking about small carbs and really small passages. If that's the case, seafoam will help.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Whiteboy posted:

Find yourself a local sign shop and talk nice so they give you a scrap bit of removable vinyl. It is usually a slightly thicker white decal material that has a glue that stays bonded to itself. Just stick your parking decal to that and then the whole thing to the bike. Even with that though I would remove it as soon as your done as time (more than a year-ish) and the elements will bond just about anything together.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

If that's the case, seafoam will help.

I'll try that, if it fixes it great, if not whatever. I was slightly alarmed when my engine quit but since it appears using the choke frequently is ok then it's a non-issue.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Aprilia Futura?

Holy Turbo Boost, Kitt!

I never new this bike even existed, and apparently it can be had quite cheap too! Hmm, Italian (Ok, Rotax, so half Austrian) 1000cc V-twin tourer with hard bags and comfy for pillion? For £3-4000? Nice one Z3n!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Those gauges make the little kid in me that loved brightly colored toys very happy.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Linedance posted:

for the first one, what kind of bike?
'03 gsxr 600. It's not that annoying but I just wanted to make sure it's not a sign of an upcoming problem.

sectoidman posted:

If it's one of those stupid anti-theft stickers/decals, it will disintigrate and leave an awful, indestructible gooey mess when you try to remove it.
Yeah I had one of these for my truck and stuck it on the window. Removing it took a razor and some cleaner solvent which is why I'm worried about this poo poo.

Jabs posted:

:words:
Oh yeah, I forgot that old college parking decals add to the value of a bike :)

shipwrek posted:

Find yourself a local sign shop and talk nice so they give you a scrap bit of removable vinyl.
I think I'll try this if the bracket looks too easy to rip off.
Thanks guys.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

Holy Turbo Boost, Kitt!

I never new this bike even existed, and apparently it can be had quite cheap too! Hmm, Italian (Ok, Rotax, so half Austrian) 1000cc V-twin tourer with hard bags and comfy for pillion? For £3-4000? Nice one Z3n!

I absolutely love those bikes. They've got very dividing styling, but I think they're gorgeous, that Rotax engine is bulletproof, the electricals can be a little wonky but can be fixed with some love, and they're pretty underground and relatively cheap as a result. It's another bike that's on the list in the next couple years when they really start to bottom out pricewise. Very cool, integrated luggage, rotax reliability, aprilia badge mystique, still look good even all these years later, and they even come in a flat black scheme. Just badass bikes. Oh and don't forget, single sided swingarm and brembo brakes.

Whiteboy posted:

'03 gsxr 600. It's not that annoying but I just wanted to make sure it's not a sign of an upcoming problem.

Yeah I had one of these for my truck and stuck it on the window. Removing it took a razor and some cleaner solvent which is why I'm worried about this poo poo.

Oh yeah, I forgot that old college parking decals add to the value of a bike :)

I think I'll try this if the bracket looks too easy to rip off.
Thanks guys.

3-5k sounds on a gixxer 600 sounds like a fueling issue that's maybe exacerbated at that RPM? Also, does your chain have the same slack roughly all the way around? Does the problem get worse at high RPM? Is it more of a surge or more of a rattle and jerk?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 17, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Futura looks so awesome. Apparently it's very thirsty though. Have never seen one for sale in Norway, I wonder if they sold at all over here.

edit: Oh gently caress there's a red 02 on the UK market for £2000. That's less than I paid for my 86 GSX. Importing it would add a lot of cost and hassle but ohmigawdohmigawdohmigawd

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 17, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

The Futura looks so awesome. Apparently it's very thirsty though. Have never seen one for sale in Norway, I wonder if they sold at all over here.

edit: Oh gently caress there's a red 02 on the UK market for £2000. That's less than I paid for my 86 GSX. Importing it would add a lot of cost and hassle but ohmigawdohmigawdohmigawd

There's only one for sale in CA on craigslist. I'd definitely do a fly and ride for the right bike though. Also it has a 5.5 gallon tank, so it can be pretty thirsty and still go the distance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

There's only one for sale in CA on craigslist. I'd definitely do a fly and ride for the right bike though. Also it has a 5.5 gallon tank, so it can be pretty thirsty and still go the distance.

I just heard on the radio that our politicians are considering even higher gas prices (to promote alternative fuels...which they started taxing last fall). Range isn't the biggest concern. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I just heard on the radio that our politicians are considering even higher gas prices (to promote alternative fuels...which they started taxing last fall). Range isn't the biggest concern. :(

Don't be a pansy (buy a supermoto instead and tour on that).

Win/win?

I'm currently loving this:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1604202601.html

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I still dig the shiver.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I love Aprilia, I advocate buying their bikes whenever possible :D

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Z3n posted:

3-5k sounds on a gixxer 600 sounds like a fueling issue that's maybe exacerbated at that RPM? Also, does your chain have the same slack roughly all the way around? Does the problem get worse at high RPM? Is it more of a surge or more of a rattle and jerk?

My chain is fine and it doesn't get worse. It's only at the low rpm range in second gear which is why I'm not overly concerned about it. It's pretty much like a jerking motion.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Is the Honda F4i the most incredible bike Honda has ever made because it seems a really good condition one runs for about the same as a RR and any really bad salvaged/repainted ones still can go for like upper 2000 and low 3000s? Actually it seems Hondas in general sell for a little higher than the competition, do they just hold their value better or am I just imagining things?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

infraboy posted:

Is the Honda F4i the most incredible bike Honda has ever made because it seems a really good condition one runs for about the same as a RR and any really bad salvaged/repainted ones still can go for like upper 2000 and low 3000s? Actually it seems Hondas in general sell for a little higher than the competition, do they just hold their value better or am I just imagining things?

There is a Honda tax, which depending on who you ask is either deserved or undeserved. The Honda tax keeps their prices about 10% higher than other makes.

The F4i holds its value because its a great all-around bike, is unkillable, and still looks awesome.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 18, 2010

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
So perplexing situation that I'm completely clueless about:

The other night, my dumbass roommate thought it would be polite to not wake me up and move my bike instead of just asking me to do it. Of course she's retarded and forgot that I had the fork lock on and inevitably dropped it. Besides bent handlebars, and a cracked crankcase cover (which she is absolutely going to pay for), I've noticed that now whenever the bike is in neutral and the clutch lever isn't pulled in, there seems to be a noticeable knocking sound. As soon as I pull the clutch lever in, that knocking goes away. Anyone have any clue what the hell is causing that?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sounds like something in the clutch assembly was damaged, maybe. I hate 99.9% of all roommates.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

So perplexing situation that I'm completely clueless about :

The other night, my dumbass roommate thought it would be polite to not wake me up and move my bike instead of just asking me to do it. Of course she's retarded and forgot that I had the fork lock on and inevitably dropped it. Besides bent handlebars, and a cracked crankcase cover (which she is absolutely going to pay for), I've noticed that now whenever the bike is in neutral and the clutch lever isn't pulled in, there seems to be a noticeable knocking sound. As soon as I pull the clutch lever in, that knocking goes away. Anyone have any clue what the hell is causing that?

Was the clutch side crankcase cover damaged? Could be the clutch actuation arm being damaged, or misalligned from the crankcase being damaged. Will have to pull the clutch cover and take a look at things.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Don't be a pansy (buy a supermoto instead and tour on that).

Win/win?

I'm currently loving this:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1604202601.html

there's been a Caponord in my local shop with an undiagnoseable starting/running/pick a cylinder electrical problem for probably over a year now. The owner left it with them to fix on their spare time. When I take mine in for it's spring checkup I'll see how they're coming along with it.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Phat_Albert posted:

The F4i holds its value because its a great all-around bike, is unkillable, and still looks awesome.

Unkillable for sure. I had a friend drive an F4i Honda with 3 1/2 cylinders and it ran pretty decently.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Was the clutch side crankcase cover damaged? Could be the clutch actuation arm being damaged, or misalligned from the crankcase being damaged. Will have to pull the clutch cover and take a look at things.

Yeah the cover was damaged. poo poo. That just sounds expensive. If it does end up being damaged or misaligned, what am I looking at?

EDIT: Are you talking about the part labeled "21" in this diagram?

Click here for the full 1020x1425 image.

ari.gato fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 18, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, that seems like the right part. I've never had one apart, so I'm not sure exactly how it'd actuate.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yeah, that seems like the right part. I've never had one apart, so I'm not sure exactly how it'd actuate.

Guh, I'll take it apart this weekend to check it out. I'm hating my roommate right now. She better be ready to pony up the cash for this. Lucky for her I'm not charging labor.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
So I got my KLR battery fully charged, yet still no lights will come on. I had accidentally disconnected a wire in the process but I believe they're all firmly reattached now.

I searched around for a fuse box only to realize it's just a tiny plastic thing. Here was one of the fuses:

I tried jump starting bike from a car so maybe I hosed it up. I don't know if it looks this way because it's toast or because it's 15 years old. The other one looked pretty clear. This one has chalky white stuff and a weird brown splotch.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ari.gato posted:

Guh, I'll take it apart this weekend to check it out. I'm hating my roommate right now. She better be ready to pony up the cash for this. Lucky for her I'm not charging labor.

Explain to her that touching someone else's bike without asking is like fondling their SO.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

So I got my KLR battery fully charged, yet still no lights will come on. I had accidentally disconnected a wire in the process but I believe they're all firmly reattached now.

I searched around for a fuse box only to realize it's just a tiny plastic thing. Here was one of the fuses:

I tried jump starting bike from a car so maybe I hosed it up. I don't know if it looks this way because it's toast or because it's 15 years old. The other one looked pretty clear. This one has chalky white stuff and a weird brown splotch.

It's toast...replace the fuse and you should be good to go.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Z3n posted:

It's toast...replace the fuse and you should be good to go.

Nonsense, wrap it in a tinfoil gum wrapper and be done with it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

Nonsense, wrap it in a tinfoil gum wrapper and be done with it.

Just jam a small key in there! :haw:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sick a nail in it, thats like a 900 amp fuse!!

Really though, ditch the glass fuses and wire in some automotive blade fuses. Unless you're building a concours restoration, you owe it to yourself to save the frustration of glass fuses.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Z3n posted:

Just jam a small key in there! :haw:

.22LR cartridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

.22LR cartridge

God I've got a hole box of fuses upstairs then! :haw: