Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Whelp, I just ordered my Manhattan GMAT study books. I am really rusty so I am going to take 3-4 months of daily study to hopefully score a respectable score.

I suck so hard on tests like this...

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Don Wrigley posted:

Would you mind posting your gmat,gpa,work experience? My nephew is planning on business school, and he has told me that Georgetown is one of the places he's looking at.

It's a great school, I really hope I get in. Even then, I won't be able to afford to go unless I get a good scholarship. I was also looking at Yale, Carnegie Mellon, UVA, and some European schools.

GMAT 710
Undergrad GPA 2.95 (from a competitive school)
Work experience: 5 years in local government

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Do MBA programs give scholarships? For some reason I always assumed that they didn't give away much money.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Omits-Bagels posted:

Do MBA programs give scholarships? For some reason I always assumed that they didn't give away much money.

Yes, they do, though I don't know how they compare to other programs.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
Howdy all.

I have a question for the MBA grads and current student: has the job situation improved for you all?

I know at the beginning of this thread, which coincided with the financial crisis, that b-schoolers were complaining that job prospects were pretty bleak. Predictably, the slump affected pretty much all other grad students, but especially law students.

Now, I'm a law student, and I know for us that the employment upon graduation situation is very, very bleak. There are some systemic factors in the legal industry that leads me to believe that the industry is in a free-fall from which it will not recover, despite the expected wave of boomer retirements.

One of the systemic factors screwing over us future lawyers is the gross oversupply of law schools. There's been a proliferation of MBA programs too, but I wonder if there's been as much of an impact on employment prospects for you guys as a result.

Is it still true that if you go to a top-20 or so MBA program that you can pretty much rest assured that you can get a job? This was a strong selling point for my current law school (Georgetown), as law schools are also rank-obsessed and if you graduated from the top 50% of the top 14 national schools, you were all but certain to land a good mid-large law firm job. Not true anymore, even Harvard grads are having trouble getting hired because no one's dumb enough to pay hundreds of dollars an hour in fees for some freshly graduated associate to do doc review.

At least anecdotally, my friends in the MBA program here doing fine, but the law students are hosed. How bad/not bad is it for you guys, and if it is indeed bad now, do you expect things to eventually improve?

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Tyro posted:

GMAT 710
Undergrad GPA 2.95 (from a competitive school)
Work experience: 5 years in local government

And you didn't get in? Man, MBA programs must be getting ultra-competitive. I'd rather not tell my nephew about that one--even though it is just anecdotal.

Super Locrian
Jul 3, 2003
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

Don Wrigley posted:

Would you mind posting your gmat,gpa,work experience? My nephew is planning on business school, and he has told me that Georgetown is one of the places he's looking at.

I just got rejected from Georgetown. I had a 700 GMAT, 4.0 in my MS in Finance, but a 2.1 in my BS in Math, which is probably what held me back. I have 3 years of experience at a mid-sized financial services company.

Tell your nephew that for Georgetown, international experience and foreign language ability is HUGE. It's an entire page of their application. Also tell him to not have a 2.1 in undergrad.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Super Locrian posted:

I just got rejected from Georgetown. I had a 700 GMAT, 4.0 in my MS in Finance, but a 2.1 in my BS in Math, which is probably what held me back. I have 3 years of experience at a mid-sized financial services company.

Tell your nephew that for Georgetown, international experience and foreign language ability is HUGE. It's an entire page of their application. Also tell him to not have a 2.1 in undergrad.

Sorry you got rejected. I'm surprised given your MS GPA and your GMAT. Did you have an interview? I was just asked to schedule one so I did but I have less than two weeks to prepare for it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Super Locrian posted:

How quantitatively rigorous were your MS Finance courses? Also, how the gently caress did you get in to a MS Finance program with a 2.1 BS Math GPA? (not being condescending, honestly curious because I had a lovely UG GPA as well)

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...
The majority of MS finance programs I've looked into require a lot of math (usually through differential equations for admission) but there are a few that don't require heavy quantitative skills for admissions that I've found. Vanderbilt, maybe Villanova, and BC (though they usually require work experience) are the ones that come to mind.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Super Locrian posted:

He has a 750 and a 3.0 and experience as a software engineer (taking my advice to get out of that field :) )... not quite a 2.1, but certainly nothing to get super excited over. I'll let him know about the international stuff.

Super Locrian
Jul 3, 2003

Mandalay posted:

How quantitatively rigorous were your MS Finance courses? Also, how the gently caress did you get in to a MS Finance program with a 2.1 BS Math GPA? (not being condescending, honestly curious because I had a lovely UG GPA as well)

The MSF courses were pretty quantitative. I only got into the program because I had a math degree (which they told me bluntly), and because my first semester I enrolled as a non-degree status student (which you don't need to be officially accepted for) and earned As. But granted, its pretty un-loving-believable that any program took me with a 2.1.

If you want to make yourself more attractive to admissions committees despite your low undergrad GPA, you should try the same route--enroll as a non-degree status student in some grad level courses at a local university (if possible) and make sure to get some As. I think it goes a long, long way, and in your essays you can say something like "I screwed around as an undergrad but I've matured". This is basically the approach I took, and I got some decent offers from some mid-tier MBA programs (rankings in the 20s - 50s.)

And Don Wrigley, I would think with a 750 and software engineering experience, your nephew could feel pretty confident about Georgetown.

EDIT: Tyro, I was asked to schedule an interview, so I scheduled a date and then they had to move it, and then they said they would contact me, and they never did. I called a couple times and it took them weeks to get back to me both times, so at the end I just said "gently caress it", I got into my top choice program anyway.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
I've started looking at programs recently and I was hoping for some advice.

I am nearing the end of my undergraduate now, and have realized I don't want the liberal arts PhD I was originally planning on pursuing.

I've got leadership experience presently, but it is all at less than classy jobs. 3 years supervising a diner, 2 years anthropology club president, training position for interns at Disneyworld, things like that.

My office jobs thus far haven't really escalated beyond entry level stuff.

Would applying to MBA's with strong letters of recommendations and a high GMAT be silly? Should I try to work my way up the corporate ladder a bit first?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Micgael posted:

I am nearing the end of my undergraduate now, and have realized I don't want the liberal arts PhD I was originally planning on pursuing.

I've got leadership experience presently, but it is all at less than classy jobs. 3 years supervising a diner, 2 years anthropology club president, training position for interns at Disneyworld, things like that.

Would applying to MBA's with strong letters of recommendations and a high GMAT be silly? Should I try to work my way up the corporate ladder a bit first?

Definitely get some full time work experience first, don't over qualify yourself by having an MBA but no experience unless you are confident you know somebody that'll hook you up with a job upon graduation.

Shnitzel
Jan 16, 2006
Mr. Pibb + Redvines = Crazy Delicious
So I'm reading through this thread, but I have a weird question that I was curious if someone could give some insight on;

I'm currently an undergrad BFA majoring in Graphic Design with an emphasis on Identity Branding at an art and design school in the Bay Area. I realized about halfway through my undergrad that as opposed to the microscopic nature of visual branding I would like to be involved in the larger picture, i.e. branding and marketing.

I decided that I would like to pursue business school in marketing, however I have some unusual questions that I can't seem to find reliable answers for:

1) My school, being an art school, offers no business related major, and no business related classes (rudimentary quantitative math, basic entrepreneurial and business ethics). I read in the OP that you don't necessarily have to have majored in a business related field, but I will have little to no classes that are considered to be the pre-req for an MFA. How do I overcome this, am I relegated to being conditionally accepted?

2) I am also considering working post-grad for a few years, however the jobs that I would be landing would be in businesses such as design firms, with an emphasis on developing creative assets as opposed to more theoretical marketing and the such, would that be at all relevant to a business school admissions officer?

3) Is this just a stupid idea in general? Art school is so radically different than a state/private institution (ungh I know because I transferred) in many regards including grading, industry involvement and overall administration, that I don't know if applying to business school coming from such an school would be an act in futility, or have you ever met anyone who has accomplished this? e: I'm a first generation college attendee, first generation immigrant and a minority so hopefully that amps my admittance steeze somewhat... :respek:

I have the drive and desire, I mainly decided to go into graphic design because I enjoyed problem solving and operating in a team environment, as well as creating things. At the time I didn't yet really understand larger business and marketing concepts, if I could go back I would have majored in marketing, however that's in the past and I'm just trying to see what my options are as it stands.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Shnitzel posted:

So I'm reading through this thread, but I have a weird question that I was curious if someone could give some insight on;

I'm currently an undergrad BFA majoring in Graphic Design with an emphasis on Identity Branding at an art and design school in the Bay Area. I realized about halfway through my undergrad that as opposed to the microscopic nature of visual branding I would like to be involved in the larger picture, i.e. branding and marketing.

I decided that I would like to pursue business school in marketing, however I have some unusual questions that I can't seem to find reliable answers for:

1) My school, being an art school, offers no business related major, and no business related classes (rudimentary quantitative math, basic entrepreneurial and business ethics). I read in the OP that you don't necessarily have to have majored in a business related field, but I will have little to no classes that are considered to be the pre-req for an MFA. How do I overcome this, am I relegated to being conditionally accepted?

2) I am also considering working post-grad for a few years, however the jobs that I would be landing would be in businesses such as design firms, with an emphasis on developing creative assets as opposed to more theoretical marketing and the such, would that be at all relevant to a business school admissions officer?

3) Is this just a stupid idea in general? Art school is so radically different than a state/private institution (ungh I know because I transferred) in many regards including grading, industry involvement and overall administration, that I don't know if applying to business school coming from such an school would be an act in futility, or have you ever met anyone who has accomplished this? e: I'm a first generation college attendee, first generation immigrant and a minority so hopefully that amps my admittance steeze somewhat... :respek:

I have the drive and desire, I mainly decided to go into graphic design because I enjoyed problem solving and operating in a team environment, as well as creating things. At the time I didn't yet really understand larger business and marketing concepts, if I could go back I would have majored in marketing, however that's in the past and I'm just trying to see what my options are as it stands.

You're not really clear here, are you talking about an MBA or changing your undergrad course of study? If you're talking MBA you absolutely should get some work experience first (I'd say 3 years minimum). Hell one of my majors in undergrad was studio art. But I did get at least statistics, research methods, etc. (no college level calculus though). Maybe take summer courses in some quant subjects at another school to beef up your academic chops?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Micgael posted:

I'd say no, based on the visits I did in October to NYU and Columbia. (And I live in Vancouver, BC - so believe me, I asked a lot of questions.) I attended student tours, meet-and-greets, and school presentations alike, and here's what applicants like you and I need to know:

THERE IS NO AVERAGE BUSINESS SCHOOL STUDENT. MBA programs at those schools take in people from all walks, ages, and experience levels; some come fresh out of undergrad, though that's rare and they usually have something going for them, like lots of volunteering and internships under their belts. Most schools just want full-time work experience (and that can mean going from one temp job to another for a consistent period).

But let's get back to you: based on what I learned in New York, applying to MBA programs with strong letters of recommendations and a high GMAT is the polar opposite of silly; add in the fact that you do have some management experience and you're as strong a contender as anybody under 30-35. Hell, with your experience and high GMAT you'll be ahead of me, for sure. Admissions officials are adamant about looking at the whole picture: GMAT scores, experience, letters, AND your essays (don't neglect those).

Keep in mind I'm just a fellow applicant, but really I don't see any reason why you'd get declined, other than overcrowding of students going back to school due to no job prospects. (I'm expecting that to happen to me, honestly.)

Shnitzel
Jan 16, 2006
Mr. Pibb + Redvines = Crazy Delicious

Tyro posted:

You're not really clear here, are you talking about an MBA or changing your undergrad course of study? If you're talking MBA you absolutely should get some work experience first (I'd say 3 years minimum). Hell one of my majors in undergrad was studio art. But I did get at least statistics, research methods, etc. (no college level calculus though). Maybe take summer courses in some quant subjects at another school to beef up your academic chops?

Yeah, pursuing an MBA. I'm about a little over a year out from getting my undergrad, but I wanted to get an idea about what to look out for/pursue

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot
reposting, in case this was missed before (although i get the impression that most of you are applicants/students)

dividebyzero posted:

Howdy all.

I have a question for the MBA grads and current student: has the job situation improved for you all?

I know at the beginning of this thread, which coincided with the financial crisis, that b-schoolers were complaining that job prospects were pretty bleak.

and...

dividebyzero posted:

Is it still true that if you go to a top-20 or so MBA program that you can pretty much rest assured that you can get a job?

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

I'm at Columbia. Our bulge bracket finance and consulting students have done remarkably well. Although banks took fewer students over the summer, many had 100% retention ratios for full time.

That said, students in investment management, marketing, and "other" category are only starting their hardcore recruiting now so its a bit early to say.

I got my dream job so maybe my outlook is a bit rosy.

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

Carfax Report posted:

I'm at Columbia. Our bulge bracket finance and consulting students have done remarkably well. Although banks took fewer students over the summer, many had 100% retention ratios for full time.

That said, students in investment management, marketing, and "other" category are only starting their hardcore recruiting now so its a bit early to say.

I got my dream job so maybe my outlook is a bit rosy.

Thanks a lot for this. I was positive that consulting students wouldn't fare too well, but it's interesting to see that this was not the case.

I would love any and all additional examples, anecdotal or otherwise.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

dividebyzero posted:

Thanks a lot for this. I was positive that consulting students wouldn't fare too well, but it's interesting to see that this was not the case.

I would love any and all additional examples, anecdotal or otherwise.

Us and Wharton are pretty strong with consulting firms so we may not be representative of the majority of the top-tier; our '09 class had 46 people in McKinsey according to school documents.

There was one major consulting firm which took 0 new hires for the 2010 class, but they were the exception.

That being said, a good percentage 2010 grads who wanted to go into consulting did not get full-time job offers, but that's because consulting was overloaded. What happened was that in fall 08, when the financial meltdown happened, many of the people who got into the MBA program that wanted to be bankers instead went into consulting recruiting thinking it would be an easier job market than finance. But there are only so many consulting jobs out there and consulting firms couldn't handle the sheer numbers of people recruiting.

Still, things work out. One of my friends who recruited for consulting in the fall didn't get an offer but took a nice job at American Airlines.

edit- the areas that are still hosed these days are S&T, PE, and VC but we're not a school known for PE/VC so that may just be our situation.

Carfax Report fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 2, 2010

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 29, 2013

dividebyzero
Jun 26, 2006

by angerbot

Carfax Report posted:

edit- the areas that are still hosed these days are S&T, PE, and VC but we're not a school known for PE/VC so that may just be our situation.

I have no idea what these mean :shobon:

sludge
Feb 18, 2001
dog will hunt
I'm looking for your guys thoughts on which schools I should target. I have worked in the advisory/valuations practice at one of the Big Four accounting firms for nearly three years. I know that this position isn't a good long term fit for me and feel that to transition into "real finance" I will need an MBA. A lot of the partners at my firm have degrees from Chicago (sadly not the one I work under). Additionally I know that my firm has a relationship with Wharton.

I haven't taken the GMATs yet. My GPA was a 3.50 (more like a 3.75+ if you ignore freshman year).

Given all this, what schools are realistic targets? Geographically I would like to be either in Chicago or on the east coast. My top picks personally are Chicago, Wharton, and Stern/Columbia/Sloan. I currently specialize in real estate, if that matters, so I would also be partial to Haas. (I know that Wharton and Columbia have well regarded RE programs as well.. not sure whether my specializing in RE gives me an edge.)

Additionally, I feel like I'm sort of an "average" candidate, even though from an objective perspective I've done well professionally and academically. What advice do you have to someone on differentiating one's application and building one's narrative when my background, to me, doesn't seem so attention grabbing?

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

dividebyzero posted:

I have no idea what these mean :shobon:

Sorry. Sales and Trading, Private Equity, Venture Capital.

sludge posted:

Additionally, I feel like I'm sort of an "average" candidate, even though from an objective perspective I've done well professionally and academically. What advice do you have to someone on differentiating one's application and building one's narrative when my background, to me, doesn't seem so attention grabbing?

One of my good friends at school worked at E&Y for quite a while and now is one of the people in charge of the Real Estate Association at Columbia. Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch.

sludge
Feb 18, 2001
dog will hunt

Carfax Report posted:

One of my good friends at school worked at E&Y for quite a while and now is one of the people in charge of the Real Estate Association at Columbia. Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch.
I'd appreciate that. I don't have PMs but my throwaway email address is sludgely at gmail dot com.

Super Locrian
Jul 3, 2003

sludge posted:

I'm looking for your guys thoughts on which schools I should target. I have worked in the advisory/valuations practice at one of the Big Four accounting firms for nearly three years. I know that this position isn't a good long term fit for me and feel that to transition into "real finance" I will need an MBA. A lot of the partners at my firm have degrees from Chicago (sadly not the one I work under). Additionally I know that my firm has a relationship with Wharton.

I haven't taken the GMATs yet. My GPA was a 3.50 (more like a 3.75+ if you ignore freshman year).

Given all this, what schools are realistic targets? Geographically I would like to be either in Chicago or on the east coast. My top picks personally are Chicago, Wharton, and Stern/Columbia/Sloan. I currently specialize in real estate, if that matters, so I would also be partial to Haas. (I know that Wharton and Columbia have well regarded RE programs as well.. not sure whether my specializing in RE gives me an edge.)

If you are able to talk about significant public service experience (volunteering, etc), foreign language ability, and/or significant international business experience, you will be able to differentiate yourself.

Presence
Jul 29, 2006
I am a second year journalism and history double major at a Canadian university and I am interested in looking at an MBA way down the line, specifically for public relations and marketing. Can anyone tell me about Canadian universities with a good specialization program in these fields?

Also, I realize my undergrad degree won't mean much once I graduate, but I am currently working part-time for a communications office at the university, and I hope to hold an editorial position for the school paper in the fall. I figure I'll be looking at temping a lot once I graduate, but I plan to work at my job on campus through the summer and next fall, hopefully until I graduate, as there is some opportunity for advancement. Is this smarter than trying to get a summer internship with a company?

I guess I'm just trying to gauge how useful working part-time in a related field (or at least I'll be able to market it as such on my resume) is as opposed to applying for a full-time internship in the field.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Wrote the GMAT on Saturday. Awaiting the marks on the essays; despite going to Kaplan, my learning disability with abstract mathematics made the quatitative section kick my rear end. Initial score? 380. :(

Maybe I can still get in to a program...if my application essays are great. I'll definitely mention my diagnosed learning problems with math. Can't be cynical.

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery
^^^ Did you take it untimed?

Application question: should I use a one-page professional resume or could I still use the longer cv thing I've sent to MS programs?

Anyone have insight into Baruch? I'm applying to their MS in Marketing, but the admission standards sound exactly the same as the MBA.

GregNorc posted:

Can I get into an MBA program without college level calc? (assuming decent GMAT and some work experience)

I've only looked at a few schools, none of them highly ranked overall, but the tops of their specialty, and they all allow you to sub GMAT scores for calc.

The Rising Suun fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 9, 2010

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
But is it realistic to expect a high GMAT with little quant experience?

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

GregNorc posted:

I hadn't taken anything other than basic calc my freshman year of college (which was something like 6 years before I applied), and was godawful in math my whole life. But I went to Princeton Review, got tutored on the quant, and rocked it. Just gotta put the effort into it.

Carfax Report fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 9, 2010

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
on the GMAT:
Step 1: Buy the "The Official Guide for GMAT Review" by the Graduate Management Admission Council. Get the 11th edition.
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GMAT-Review-11th/dp/B002BWQ4JG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1265728448&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Step Two:
http://www.khanacademy.org/gmat.jsp

Go there. This guy has a Harvard MBA. He works through every math problem in the book above and then he posts everything on youtube. I thought it was nice to see how he worked every problem and he really explains all his steps.

You'll still want to get your standard Princeton Review type book to learn some strategies and for extra practice.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Omits-Bagels posted:

on the GMAT:
Step 1: Buy the "The Official Guide for GMAT Review" by the Graduate Management Admission Council. Get the 11th edition.
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GMAT-Review-11th/dp/B002BWQ4JG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1265728448&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Step Two:
http://www.khanacademy.org/gmat.jsp

Go there. This guy has a Harvard MBA. He works through every math problem in the book above and then he posts everything on youtube. I thought it was nice to see how he worked every problem and he really explains all his steps.

You'll still want to get your standard Princeton Review type book to learn some strategies and for extra practice.

I vote this goes in the OP (so I can find it in a year).

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

GregNorc posted:

The quant section doesn't cover anything beyond high school math; it's mostly arithmetic, algebra, and geometry, with some basic statistics thrown in. You'll see probability and combinatorics if you're doing well.

I took calc freshman year of college, brushed up on GMAT math for an afternoon, and ended up with a 49Q.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008
So are there ANY schools out there offering MBA online and not being completely crap/U of Phoenix-like? What's a good place to see some reviews? I was thinking of just getting the latest ranking and then looking at top schools specifically but there must be an easier way because googling just gets me links but no third party opinions/reviews so far. :negative:

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

The Capitulator posted:

So are there ANY schools out there offering MBA online and not being completely crap/U of Phoenix-like? What's a good place to see some reviews? I was thinking of just getting the latest ranking and then looking at top schools specifically but there must be an easier way because googling just gets me links but no third party opinions/reviews so far. :negative:

James Madison University has one but they still make you meet in Reston, VA for the first and last session of each class. I wouldn't recommend it unless you lived near the area or your company would comp you for traveling.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Hello again, seems we're about due for a bump anyway, being so close to final deadlines and notifications, so here we go:

It seems that one of my last options for starting an MBA this year would be to apply to the Rady School at UCSD. However, prior to beginning my search of schools I had never heard of Rady...but of course had heard of the popular places (Wharton, NYU, Berkeley, etc.) that the OP mentions in detail of having better flair/marketing than other schools, and so on. So, I figure this thread is as good as any to ask if anybody knows of any Rady/UCSD grads on a personal level, what they had to say, all that.

I visited San Diego a few times as a child, loved it, would like to go back, but if UCSD has a word-of-mouth rep for being a mediocre or party school (which apparently can happen at state colleges) that's obviously something that concerns me. This is a "Do it right or don't do it at all" endeavor and I'd be leaving Canada to do my MBA, so of course I want to get as much info as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Agent Escalus posted:

Hello again, seems we're about due for a bump anyway, being so close to final deadlines and notifications, so here we go:

It seems that one of my last options for starting an MBA this year would be to apply to the Rady School at UCSD. However, prior to beginning my search of schools I had never heard of Rady...but of course had heard of the popular places (Wharton, NYU, Berkeley, etc.) that the OP mentions in detail of having better flair/marketing than other schools, and so on. So, I figure this thread is as good as any to ask if anybody knows of any Rady/UCSD grads on a personal level, what they had to say, all that.

I visited San Diego a few times as a child, loved it, would like to go back, but if UCSD has a word-of-mouth rep for being a mediocre or party school (which apparently can happen at state colleges) that's obviously something that concerns me. This is a "Do it right or don't do it at all" endeavor and I'd be leaving Canada to do my MBA, so of course I want to get as much info as possible.

Looks like the first class was in Fall 2004, which would explain why nobody has really met a UCSD MBA. FWIW, undergraduate school is pretty good though--I'd say it's the third best UC behind UC Berkeley and UCLA.