Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tofu Injection posted:

Has anyone here seen American Movie? Is it any good?

It's one of my favorite movies ever. I have no idea why. Actually, there are tons of reasons why, and they all have nothing to do with every other movie I've liked.

I've seen it probably five times, and I was pretty surprised that I caught maybe one or two of the American Movie references brought out in that highlight reel. Then again, they were pretty subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
This "Angry Video Game Nerd" guy really just needs to chill out. I mean, playing games should be about just doing what you want to do, and if you enjoy screaming at the television, that's fine. Sonic's favorite things to do are running fast and eating chili dogs, and that's just him I guess, which is fine, but he always makes a point to stop and enjoy the scenery every now and then, and forget his worries, forget all about Robonik (or Dr. Eggman if you wish, it's all cool). Sometimes that means looking over the rolling purple hills of Marble Zone, or sometimes, when he's somewhere such as Oil Ocean, he likes to just forget about the giant oil rigs and spills polluting the ocean, and just focus on the simple things, like the sunset, or the way light reflects over the distant waves. Just focus on the things that makes him happy, and once you get down to it, isn't that really what it's all about?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
there is absolutely no excuse for that thing being 20 minutes long

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Well sure. But if you don't want to watch it all, you don't have to. Nobody's making you watch it.

Besides, maybe the guy likes to make long videos. Maybe he had 20 minutes to kill while waiting for a friend to arrive and decided, "Hey, I'll make a video!"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

My only problem with the HVGN is that he doesn't really know quite enough about games to make the types of videos that he does. It's great that he loves really awesome games like Rocket Knight, but before you make a video, play Sparkster so you can properly reference it.

The thing I like about the AVGN is that hes so knowledgeable about the games he reviews. And on the flip side, I can't stand his movie reviews because they're pure opinion pieces that tend to lack enough knowledge to really be doing the type of reviews he's doing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Super Ninja Fish posted:

If he's not a troll, then he's really really stupid for acting like he's speaking for everyone when the majority appeared to love the episode.

"Respect your fanbase, dude"

Come on, he's either a troll or mentally retarded.

I've dealt with this problem before and I don't believe anyone should have to clarify an opinion is theirs alone it's a bit of a given.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Darko posted:

My only problem with the HVGN is that he doesn't really know quite enough about games to make the types of videos that he does. It's great that he loves really awesome games like Rocket Knight, but before you make a video, play Sparkster so you can properly reference it.

The thing I like about the AVGN is that hes so knowledgeable about the games he reviews. And on the flip side, I can't stand his movie reviews because they're pure opinion pieces that tend to lack enough knowledge to really be doing the type of reviews he's doing.

He doesn't review the movie, he reviews the experience the movie gives you, basically. Which is exactly what he does with his game reviews. He talks a bit about the development team, and maybe the history of when the game was released, and then after that, he goes into a full-on rage about how bullshit this lovely loving game is. And most of the time, they ARE lovely loving bullshit games.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Darko posted:

horse poo poo

o hay my name is darko (dorko lol) I am an authority on everything from video games to movies. Real life? no thank you I'd prefer a quasi nerd-monkitudinal way of life. Women are not a subject I prefer to dwell on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

This is the best LP I've seen

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Darko posted:

He knows a fuckton about Godzilla and obscure horror movies.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Alright this is so close to being amazing. Just a bit better (smoother radio guy voice, more philosophizing) and then put the LPs round the clock on a public access channel.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

psymonkey posted:

o hay my name is darko (dorko lol) I am an authority on everything from video games to movies. Real life? no thank you I'd prefer a quasi nerd-monkitudinal way of life. Women are not a subject I prefer to dwell on.

What the hell?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Darko posted:

What the hell?

You just got owned scrublord :c00l:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

^^^ I think he's like referencing my 2001 "Internet persona" or something, which is odd since it's really out of nowhere.

Gammatron 64 posted:

He knows a fuckton about Godzilla and obscure horror movies.

What I meant was, he tends to know a lot of pure facts, but falls kind of short on knowledge of the artistic portion. This works great for games, where the art is mostly purely technical, but for film, it's not what I prefer to be focused on. Since my favorite things in film often deal with cinematography/direction or subtext (ie. I prefer Nolan's Batman movies not because of 'what happens' in the movie, so much at how he films it), his film reviews don't speak to me like a lot of his game reviews do.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Darko posted:

What I meant was, he tends to know a lot of pure facts, but falls kind of short on knowledge of the artistic portion. This works great for games, where the art is mostly purely technical, but for film, it's not what I prefer to be focused on. Since my favorite things in film often deal with cinematography/direction or subtext (ie. I prefer Nolan's Batman movies not because of 'what happens' in the movie, so much at how he films it), his film reviews don't speak to me like a lot of his game reviews do.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you there. His reviews focus more on the entertainment aspect versus the artistic aspect. His views on the movies he reviews are often somewhat simplistic observations and almost childlike, but not usually incorrect. This doesn't necessarily make them bad, per se, just not what you're interested in. I usually find them entertaining.

And honestly, aside from the first one, Godzilla movies aren't exactly very artistic. People don't generally watch slasher flicks for their art, either... Man, I enjoy the Coen Brothers and Wes Anderson as much as you probably do, but I also love watching dumb poo poo with explosions, too.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

the Bunt posted:

My favorite is "If there's any way to describe just how rear end this game is...it's very rear end."

I think my favorite (just because the punchline was so unexpected and jokes like that always strike me funny) is one from the Godzilla review. "I think William Shakespeare put it best when he said...[long pause]

...'gently caress it.'"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite quote was from the Nightmare on Elm Street video, and it was something along the lines of:

"And you'll see here that Freddy Krueger has claws in this picture even though he's not wearing his gloves. Now, I think I actually have an explanation for this. I think the developers...

...nah, they just hosed up." *continues playing game*

Actually, most of my favorite moments are where he says something very matter-of-factly, then directs his attention back to the TV in a very deliberate motion and kind of purses his lips. Don't know why but that poo poo always slays me.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

wa27 posted:

I really liked it. I think it's available for streaming on Netflix if anyone wants to check it out.

Now that you mention it, I went and looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it was an actual documentary about an actual film? I had always assumed it was a mockumentary. :crossarms:

No way, I own Coven on tape! Lots of people thought it was a fake doc, but right after I saw it I ordered Coven straight from Mark himself. It's really great, in a weird, budget way.

It's sad to me that he wasn't able to be more productive, because that short showed a lot of promise. He just has a really rough life and it's tough to work on movies.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

wa27 posted:

I really liked it. I think it's available for streaming on Netflix if anyone wants to check it out.

Now that you mention it, I went and looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it was an actual documentary about an actual film? I had always assumed it was a mockumentary. :crossarms:

Yup. Mike and Mark pop up in various stuff here and there. They had a Family Guy cameo a couple years ago and did a couple NFL commercials, just to name a few.

The movie was on Youtube (legally) a little while ago, but I don't see it on there anymore. It's worth hunting down regardless.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

hcreight posted:

Yup. Mike and Mark pop up in various stuff here and there. They had a Family Guy cameo a couple years ago and did a couple NFL commercials, just to name a few.

The movie was on Youtube (legally) a little while ago, but I don't see it on there anymore. It's worth hunting down regardless.

THe main American Movie ordering site looks like it's down, but this looks like the official deal right here too:

https://www1034.ssldomain.com/0tv/webshop/index.cfm

If it's still part of the initial run, then the copy will be signed by Mark. If you get a copy signed by Mark, you can feel good knowing that you helped him break even on the project!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

the Bunt posted:

there is absolutely no excuse for that thing being 20 minutes long
sometimes you need to take it easy, no need to feel pressure when strolling through the land of earth slash mobius

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

New AVGN: SwordQuest

It's a pretty good one, but not as good as the last. It's not one of his typical angry rants, which he seems to be straying away from more and more. I kinda miss them. :(

wuwu
Apr 5, 2009
Watching that Swordquest video makes me wish they finish the series so we can all pool in and try to get that sword....

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The best part of this video is the orchestral version of the AVGN theme. :3:

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 18, 2010

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I agree that the lack of "angry" kinda sucked, but I still loved the episode. I thought it was much better than the Ninja Gaiden one (which was okay, but I didn't care much for it).

The contest seems like it would've been awesome if they finished it. That would've been something I would've killed to get involved in if I were around (and old enough to know what to do) when that was going on. I'd love to see them remake/finish the series with comic book and all (although the internet might make it easier for people to cheat since you could just Google answers to clues).

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Wow, I had never heard of Swordquest before, but that was just an awesome episode.

The orchestral nerd theme was pretty hot too.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Now that's the kind of episode I like, ones that talk about parts of video game history I never knew about. I'd love to know what exactly happened to those unclaimed prizes and I wouldn't mind seeing the two that were won and what the people won them are up to today.

Orthodox
Oct 5, 2003

Republicans posted:

Now that's the kind of episode I like, ones that talk about parts of video game history I never knew about. I'd love to know what exactly happened to those unclaimed prizes and I wouldn't mind seeing the two that were won and what the people won them are up to today.

The dude who won the Chalice is a 39 year old never been married computer programmer with a huge scifi obsession.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Josip Broz Tito posted:

The dude who won the Chalice is a 39 year old never been married computer programmer with a huge scifi obsession.

So, he's more than likely a goon, then?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Republicans posted:

Yeah this episode was really interesting and much more entertaining than watching someone gently caress up at Ninja Gaiden. I didn't know any of this poo poo existed.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
The thing about the AVGN is that he would much rather be making horror movies than video game movies. You can definitely see it in his work. It's sad that the only thing that people seem to care about that he makes, he himself doesn't really want to do in the first place. The way I interpret some of his interviews is that he is rather embarrassed by all the attention his nerd videos have brought.

Having said that I really liked the nerd videos more than the rest of his stuff.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
This was a god drat awesome episode, because I *had* Swordquest: Earthworld when I was a kid, and being, like, 8, I I had no idea what the gently caress when I was playing it. I had *no* idea what those number were for. Seeing this really closed a very confusing chapter of my gaming history.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

captain innocuous posted:

Having said that I really liked the nerd videos more than the rest of his stuff.

Check out Rocky Jumped a Park Bench, or any of his Godzilla reviews, he's much more interested in the subject and it shows in a good way.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
I'm pretty sure that this contest is part of the reason Atari went bankrupt. I love the fact that Atari put out this elaborate and expensive contest at a time when the company itself was going under. The hilarious blunders of Warner-Atari are numerous and legendary, but this has got to be one of the most incredible.

"Guys, no one's buying video games anymore. What do we do?"
"How about we create like some sort of medieval fantasy quest with real prizes?"
"I like it. What are the prizes?"
"Real medieval-style trinkets made of gold! With diamonds and rubies and real shiny things!"
"Won't that be expensive?"
"Yeah, but that's kind of the point. Who wants a cheap trinket as a prize?"
"Okay, I guess...we can always make the money it's gonna cost for these prizes back on these ten million copies of Pac-Man. That's a sure-fire seller! With all the money we're paying Spielberg for the E.T. license, it drat better well be."

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 18, 2010

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I had heard about this event before but didn't know the details. Really interesting video, and I loved the "epic" AVGN theme!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I had heard about this event before but didn't know the details. Really interesting video, and I loved the "epic" AVGN theme!

As plenty of others have said, he's straight at his best when he's either being passionate or analytical about something. A dash of AVGN anger never goes amiss, but it's not a main course by itself.

His Castlevania multi-review, the Godzilla retrospective, this one, etc - all great stuff. Even some games he's horribly frustrated by like Street Fighter 2010, instead of getting all cartoon-angry, he picks it apart and says exactly how it could have been improved and identifies and analyzes every gameplay flaw. It's good stuff and I wish he'd do it more.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
Echoing some statements already in this thread, I think his videos, like SwordQuest, are far more entertaining than the random cussfests. With that being said, I think his videos are great when he doesn't completely overdo it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Annoying Reveler posted:

Echoing some statements already in this thread, I think his videos, like SwordQuest, are far more entertaining than the random cussfests. With that being said, I think his videos are great when he doesn't completely overdo it.

Or use retarded characters like the poo poo pickle or nerdy turd.

Or have Mike Matei do anything that requires him to talk.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I like when he plays older games and tries to interpret low-res sprites.

So you're catching knives with a uh... turkey club sandwich

But agreed with everyone, when he does things like this episode where he analyzes games and gets into it, he's fantastic. Him swearing for a while is so "eh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I've watched some HVGN videos and found them OK in terms of hearing about some mildly obscure but highly playable games. But, somehow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4iHDYJNSbs just makes me cringe so hard. I don't know what it is exactly, maybe I see it as some sort of lovely fan service to an almost non-existent crowd and it somehow enforces the bit too self-important image I have of the guy. Anyways, I still find him a lot more bearable than the hundred other guys like him.

• Locked thread