Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Kerison posted:

Those swords are clearly iron. Obsidian swords look nothing like that; they look like this:

Edit: Changed to a better picture.

drat it, you're right. Having no easier image to blatantly steal from to get the shape of an obsidian sword I'll probably just pull the sword thing entirely. I think it will work without them decently enough.

Edit: I might try it with your ninja edit picture...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
that lion looks a lot better than the first one. I'm still partial to the lion's head as dark sun thing but you've got something there

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Urik of the third kind:

Did my best to finnagle the obsidian swords into it without them looking like total rear end, but they were a tough shape to get my amateur hands around.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Iron Swords could symbolize the kingdom's wealth and military might.

E: NVM, you already changed it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Kerison posted:

Yeah, I have a couple pages of Gygaxian naturalism-style research on the climate and saltiness of an Athas-style Dying Earth because I'm enough of a nerd to want to know what color dyes are available, what the alcohols are made from, and what their diets are like.

For example, I didn't know anything about the herby Roselle plant, but Athasians would make a sweet tea out of it, eat it like spinach, and use it in medicine (to heal wounds, to treat hypertension, as a diuretic, etc.).

It should be noted that just because a crop could grow there does not mean that they happen to have it.

World history might well have turned out rather differently if the horse had happened to naturally inhabit the Americas, and both the potato and cotton were huge boons to Europe and (I think) Asia when brought over from the Americas.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Hodgepodge posted:

It should be noted that just because a crop could grow there does not mean that they happen to have it.

If you assume a Dying Earth that at one point had all of those crops, it is reasonable to expect that over millennia of agriculture and migration during the Green and Brown Ages, they're just about anywhere in the world you feel like having them.

Obviously Athas is not Earth so you can exclude real world plants at your leisure, but I can tell you one thing, Hodgepodge: Athas is a potatoless land.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Kerison posted:

Obviously Athas is not Earth so you can exclude real world plants at your leisure, but I can tell you one thing, Hodgepodge: Athas is a potatoless land.

Yeah, imagine having potatoes would significantly change things, unless suppressed as a crop but then undoubtably a sorcerer-king would want it to feed their armies, etc. etc.

Anyway I am sure they blew it all up at the end of the blue age, lifeshaping it into something else or something.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Kerison posted:

But there might be something that's close, except that the root is 30 feet in diameter covered with horrible fanged mouths.

"Potato patch" is synonymous with terrible death in the wasteland, my friend. Now pass the water skin and let us speak on how we will fetch a fair price for these miserable excuses for slaves.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 20, 2010

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
All druids and rangers should have to kill and drink the blood of their animal companion to survive.

Also: Where's all the kank talk?

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

jigokuman posted:

Also: Where's all the kank talk?

One word: escamoles.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kanks are awesome. Not only are they giant ants, but they make honey, and you can ride them!

Edit: You can't eat them, though. Immediately upon death, their flesh begins to emit a terrible and nauseating stench.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 20, 2010

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

PeterWeller posted:

Edit: You can't eat them, though. Immediately upon death, their flesh begins to emit a terrible and nauseating stench.

Which annoyed me when I first read it and annoys me now, given the history of entomophagy in just about all the areas Dark Sun draws influence from. All these giant bugs and they're not eaten? Nonsensical Western ethnocentrism, I say.

PeterWeller posted:

emit a terrible and nauseating stench.

This doesn't keep people from eating durian! Well, not all people anyway.

Kerison fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 20, 2010

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Kerison posted:

This is doesn't keep people from eating durian! Well, not all people anyway.

This is me trying Durian:

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

I actually kind of liked it. I just make that face whenever I try something with an unfamiliar taste or texture (and have now learned to let people know this in advance so they aren't offended).

Anyhow, if I can try something that smells like that at a party, I'm sure people would eat it in the wasteland.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PeterWeller posted:

Kanks are awesome. Not only are they giant ants, but they make honey, and you can ride them!

eat them alive

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Liesmith posted:

eat them alive

that's the wastelands for you

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
What's this? Why, it's a list of real-world boozes derived from that earlier crop list: beer, whiskey, rakshi (millet liquor), vodka, tuzemak (beet rum), boza (wheat liquor), lāgbī (date palm wine), wine (date, fig, guava, jambul), maotai (sorghum liquor), oguro (coconut palm wine), hong zao jiu (jujube wine)

There'd also be a sort of tej (Ethiopian for mead) made from kank honey and the succulent-related boozes like tequila, mezcal, and pulque from Athasian cacti.

(If this poo poo isn't interesting I'll stop posting it, I'm just doing it anyway and figure, why not share?)

ManMythLegend posted:

Urik of the third kind:

Since nobody's said anything I'll add that this is a helluva lot better than what you started with, and I think it looks pretty alright.

Kerison fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 20, 2010

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kerison posted:

Since nobody's said anything I'll add that this is a helluva lot better than what you started with, and I think it looks pretty alright.

Yeah it's got all the elements he wanted, looks simple enough to put on a badge but isn't childish, I'd say it's pretty ideal

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kerison posted:

(If this poo poo isn't interesting I'll stop posting it, I'm just doing it anyway and figure, why not share?)
Well, it's definitely in the vein of "All brownies can cast Know Alignment at will, and in a brownie lair there will be a 25% chance of immature brownies; roll 1d4 to determine the age group of each" but on the other hand, I have the biggest loving :awesome: for Gygaxian Naturalism

Problem is, my players are so piss-poor that if I tried to describe the bazaar of wonders they'd be like, "whatevs, I stab the nearest templar"

But I love that world-building stuff.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Well, it's definitely in the vein of "All brownies can cast Know Alignment at will, and in a brownie lair there will be a 25% chance of immature brownies; roll 1d4 to determine the age group of each" but on the other hand, I have the biggest loving :awesome: for Gygaxian Naturalism

The nice thing about the age we live in is that I can put together a list of boozes in an hour of watching the Olympics while using Wikipedia and the Internet. Imagine doing that sort of exercise in Gygaxian naturalism before internet research.

P.S. curling is literally the best thing

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I watch curling religiously every olympics, and this year the Norweigians really took it up a notch with their awesome pants

but before the internet it was still easy to do the booze thing, lots of people have bartending books. Just flavor them so tehy are made from bug juice or cactus sap.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Liesmith posted:

Just flavor them so tehy are made from bug juice or cactus sap.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ManMythLegend posted:

Did my best to finnagle the obsidian swords into it without them looking like total rear end, but they were a tough shape to get my amateur hands around.

This is awesome. I could see one for each city:
draj - aztec theme
balic - greek crown of ivy
nibenay - asian bas-relief theme
gulg - trees, wild animals, crossed wooden spears
raam - no one cares about raam

Awesome because a player looking at these instantly gets the cultural reference and theme of each city.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ritorix posted:

This is awesome. I could see one for each city:
draj - aztec theme
balic - greek crown of ivy
nibenay - asian bas-relief theme
gulg - trees, wild animals, crossed wooden spears

Awesome because a player looking at these instantly gets the cultural reference and theme of each city.

This was exactly my goal. It would be super sweet if some folks in there threw some of these together for general use later.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ritorix posted:

I was gonna be all :argh: but then,

everything that has ever been written about Raam posted:

The city-state of Raam is located east of Urik and is one of the largest and most chaotic cities in the Tablelands. It also has one of the most mixed populations. Ruled by the sorcerer-queen Uyness, “Orc Plague.” Raam is filled with chaos and armed
camps divided among various struggling factions. Above all other cities, Raam is fixed with a rigid caste system.
:smith:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

tendrilsfor20 posted:

I was gonna be all :argh: but then,
:smith:

Yeah, in the revised box Raam is literally the dumpster fire of the Tablelands.

Dead Sorcerer-Monarch? Check
Violent Civil War? Check
Virulent Plague? Check
Horrible Undead Monster All Up In Your Business? Check

All in all, it's a tough time for the Raam Tourism Board.

Also this:

Raam's Veiled Alliance posted:

The turbulent conditions in Raam haven’t made it any easier for the city’s Veiled Alliance. The preservers continue to operate in secret, but the contacts they once had in all levels of government have been lost. Nanda Shatri (female human/20th-level preserver, 8th-level psionicist/LG) continues to lead the Alliance and still seeks to become an avangion so that she can help restore Athas’s lost vigor. However, beyond the vague rumors that Urik’s Alliance had created such a being some years back, Shatri is no closer to her goal than she was a decade ago. She has considered siding with one of the armed bands in order to assure the safety of her people, but she has yet to determine which band to approach. Her reluctance to make a decision might be her undoing, for the Prophets of Dregoth have begun making overtures to the Alliance that the members find very appealing. In fact, the Prophets have also promised that Dregoth can help Shatri with her research into the avangion transformation process—a promise that she is seriously considering accepting.

Uh-oh, speghetti-o's.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, in the revised box Raam is literally the dumpster fire of the Tablelands.
The concept of "the most hosed-up place in the world, even by Athasian standards" is just too :psypop: to consider

ManMythLegend posted:

deals with Dregoth
I see no way this can end badly; go for it Shatri! :ironicat:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kank's are good eating while they're alive, but how long can one expect a mount to survive on Athas?

That's why you should get and erdlu or inix. Tastes like chicken.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Raam is a such a poor waste of a second fiddle city. In the original box, it's a mere red herring for the metaplot. And of the cities, it's arguably the most hosed by that metaplot, even though it's the only city not seen in the Prism Pentad. The epic battle that determines its fate is a mere speedbump for the heroes, and it happens in some random field.

Raam is truly the rear end end of the Tablelands.

Oh, and in The Cerulean Storm, Raam's troops are described as wearing green over yellow, and her officers wear light blue turbans. And Abalache Re legitimizes her rule by saying she is the divinely appointed vizier of some higher power. Maybe that can give you some ideas to work with for a Raamish flag.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

PeterWeller posted:

light blue turbans.

Pfft, like Raam has a source of indigo dye to make blues.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

They purchase it at exorbitant rates, crippling the city's economy and furthering its social collapse.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'd like some clarification.

I was looking at the different existing (i.e. pre-4e) Dark Sun material out there and there's a bit more than I thought. Is this boxed set the main one that everyone is taking most of the information from? I know there was a revised set/book/something that I glanced at earlier and it was completely different (peaceful halflings? bah!).

Basically, I want Dark Sun info. Aside from the novels, what old materials should I read to hold me over?

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Aranan posted:

I'd like some clarification.

I was looking at the different existing (i.e. pre-4e) Dark Sun material out there and there's a bit more than I thought. Is this boxed set the main one that everyone is taking most of the information from? I know there was a revised set/book/something that I glanced at earlier and it was completely different (peaceful halflings? bah!).

Basically, I want Dark Sun info. Aside from the novels, what old materials should I read to hold me over?

Yes, that's the good boxed set. Also, Dune Trader and Dragon Kings.

And Elves of Athas isn't bad.

edit: can't believe I left off Slave Tribes

Kerison fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 21, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slave Tribes is also a good book. Since most of the villages scattered about the Tyr Region were founded by ex slaves, it provides a lot of good material about the smaller settlements in the region. City State of Tyr is also worth reading if your interested in the way that city works post Kalak.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ivory Triangle gave the detailed treatment to Nibenay and Gulg. Full maps, surrounding areas, culture and lots of Gygaxian microdetail. It's another good place to set a campaign, especially if you want templars and the threat of a shadowy-but-aloof sorcerer king.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Awesome, thanks guys. I want to start up a little game and I don't want to wait until the 4e materials are released. I figure I can brush up with some of these books and just dive in.

Dystopian Rhetoric
Oct 18, 2006

ironically, the comedy arms race ...

Kerison posted:

Pfft, like Raam has a source of indigo dye to make blues.

woad could be used to make it rather inefficiently, grows in desert conditions!

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Dystopian Rhetoric posted:

:monocle:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Dystopian Rhetoric posted:

There you go! Raam devotes its fields to growing woad to make into dye to make turbans for its templars. Civil unrest ensues.

Also, Ivory Triangle was excellent and really brought that area to life, but I was bummed Draj and Balic never received that kind of treatment. They were really characterful cities, and would make excellent bases for a trading house style campaign.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm echoing others, but I want to throw in my votes for, besides the first boxed set: Dragon Kings, Slave Tribes, Dune Trader, Veiled Alliance and The Ivory Triangle boxed set. All three are great looks at the Tablelands from the perspectives of slavery, trade, and preserving magic (respectively).

If you can find them, the Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium Appendix I (black and white, loose pages designed for insert in a binder) and Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium II (color, squarebound) are both very good, in different ways. The first volume is a good set of Athasian wildlife, spanning what would be in 4E all three tiers, but weighted much more strongly toward heroic through mid-paragon. You get a very good sense of Athas as a tremendously dangerous, difficult, and sheerly brutal place to live. The second volume skews more toward the paragon and up, with a lot more of the "cosmic" or supernatural Athas, with various elemental entities, psurlons (See a couple of pages ago for my :spergin: thereon.), powerful undead, etc. Note that this second volume is post-revision, and so has a lot of inane Rajaat poo poo that the 4E set will, god willing, be ignoring or expunging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's a crapshoot, but there's a bunch of free stuff (including a campaign guide), all updated to 3.5 for free on http://athas.org

• Locked thread