Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
By 08.5 they had the bugs worked out - stuff like busting motor mounts. There is a smoking turbo issue, but I don't think it was ever part of a recall or considered a real problem.

Standard stuff applies - lovely intake/exhaust mods, riceboy cosmetic mods, etc. They're actually pretty stout cars that are fully capable of handling the power they are able to put down.
52K miles is sky high, but it's a safe bet that those are highway miles so you don't have to worry about a lot of wear and tear due to frequent starts.
Off the top of my head I can't think of any common problems. Could be the cars are still too new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kynetx posted:

By 08.5 they had the bugs worked out - stuff like busting motor mounts. There is a smoking turbo issue, but I don't think it was ever part of a recall or considered a real problem.

Standard stuff applies - lovely intake/exhaust mods, riceboy cosmetic mods, etc. They're actually pretty stout cars that are fully capable of handling the power they are able to put down.
52K miles is sky high, but it's a safe bet that those are highway miles so you don't have to worry about a lot of wear and tear due to frequent starts.
Off the top of my head I can't think of any common problems. Could be the cars are still too new.

Thanks, ya I know the miles are kinda high, there's really limited selection of 08.5/9 speed3's around here. I'm going to test an '10 speed3 as well after the 08.5 since the dealers are right next to each other. I figure if I can get the price down under 15k then that'll make up for the higher miles.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

RE: Tires

The ones on this list are reasonably priced. I used these to help me decide on the Hankook Ventus V12's when I hit about 21.5/22k last August. They definitely handle much better than the stockers. Chose them because at the time, Hankook had a nice rebate plus I like that they are one of the quieter tires on that test yet still have solid, above average performance. The Star Specs are most commonly recommended by other local Speed3 drivers for pure performance if you really don't care about noise/comfort. The RE760's are a good suggestion if you're seeking a comfortable ride.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mattfl posted:

I'm going to look at an 08.5 speed3 tomorrow. What are some things I should be looking at to make sure it's ok? It's got 52k miles on it and they are asking 17.5 which is way way to high, thinking about low balling them down to like 13.5/14.5. Any major things I should be on the lookout for when I test drive it?

The CD player if it's a GT. Turn the volume up around 32-35 (something in that range). If you hear a large change, then it probably needs replaced with the newer unit. Also the rear end clunks sometimes because of the rear sway bar nuts aren't tightened. And if it's cold where you are, the struts making terrible noises is normal. Otherwise, check if it's been modded, even though it sounds like it's out of warranty with the miles already.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well, of course after I test drove it I had to have it! So here it is!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 22, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wrong color but good choice all the same. Congrats!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wrong color but good choice all the same. Congrats!

Black Mica is awesome, what is the correct color? :)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Pearlescent White is the poo poo. I wish my speed6 was white instead of boring old gray.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mattfl posted:

Black Mica is awesome, what is the correct color? :)

True Red, the one I've got, duh :v:

Changed the oil in mine yesterday and sending a sample to Blackstone to see if 7k intervals really are safe for me.

I also noticed a very strange thing. The Mazda emblem on the top of my intercooler cover is all warped (half of it has peeled up) and is losing its chrome. Anyone know where I can buy another?

Edit: I also outdragged an RX8 on the freeway onramp a little while ago. Suck on that, RADL! :toot:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mattfl posted:

Image isn't working but congrats! I have a black 2008.5 GT. Enjoy it.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

air- posted:

RE: Tires

The ones on this list are reasonably priced. I used these to help me decide on the Hankook Ventus V12's when I hit about 21.5/22k last August. They definitely handle much better than the stockers. Chose them because at the time, Hankook had a nice rebate plus I like that they are one of the quieter tires on that test yet still have solid, above average performance. The Star Specs are most commonly recommended by other local Speed3 drivers for pure performance if you really don't care about noise/comfort. The RE760's are a good suggestion if you're seeking a comfortable ride.

What size Star Specs do they put on? I couldn't find them in factory sizing? Given the 760's review in that list, I'm not sure I want them as much anymore. The Hankooks were also on my "maybe" list - but, again, given the review they have moved up in choice I think.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably 225/40R18? I have that size on the Hankook Ventus RS2 (discontinued but the RS3 is available, :gay: flames and all) and absolutely love the tires.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have some 215/45/18 Pirelli P Zero Nero All-Seasons (longest tire name ever, christ) on there. I imagine the 225 fits on the stock rim just fine?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Like they should have been the factory size.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Like they should have been the factory size.

They are on the '10 MS3s I think. Although they may be 225/40/18 now. I can't really complain though, I got this car at 16k miles and they had thrown a new set of tires on for me. Imagine the stock ones were pretty much gone.

Went to look at an SRT6 Crossfire once and the tires were completely bald. Test driving that thing was fun.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

You guys are all loving stoned. Cosmic Blue Mica is the manliest* available color.

Any wheel recommendations? I'd like to go to a 16" for (eventual) money and weight savings.

* Also least likely to get you noticed when driving a little too fast.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Sublime Process posted:

What size Star Specs do they put on? I couldn't find them in factory sizing?

I had Discount Tire match someone online on the Ventus V12's, and they ordered them in stock size.
225/40 should fit fine. May actually be cheaper too.

Kynetx posted:

Also this. Very much so!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Cosmic blue is like a gray for people who wanted to get a non-boring car but couldn't quite make the jump to an actually interesting color. It's also drab and ugly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think the blue would be weird with the red trimmed seats, especially if it's the leather trimmed GT seats.

Black Mica w/ super dark tint. :cool:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Bovine Delight posted:

I think the blue would be weird with the red trimmed seats, especially if it's the leather trimmed GT seats.

That's an odd thought. Well, you can't see the paint from the inside of the building and to see the red trim on the seats you can't have a tint and.... strange.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

That's an odd thought. Well, you can't see the paint from the inside of the building and to see the red trim on the seats you can't have a tint and.... strange.

Just wouldn't appeal to me to have a blue car and red and black seats. Thats all.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

Kynetx posted:

You guys are all loving stoned. Cosmic Blue Mica is the manliest* available color.

Any wheel recommendations? I'd like to go to a 16" for (eventual) money and weight savings.

I actually want to paint my Protege5 a brilliant green. The grey/black interior should work nicely with it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Bovine Delight posted:

Just wouldn't appeal to me to have a blue car and red and black seats. Thats all.

"Building"? Why the gently caress did I say "building"? Must be the meth.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

"Building"? Why the gently caress did I say "building"? Must be the meth.

That, and I sure as hell can see the paint on the hood and fenders from my driver's seat.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wish they had the yellow from the Protege5 still around :(

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]

mattfl posted:

Just out of curiosity what price were you able to get this beast for? Congrats!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

lmnt posted:

Just out of curiosity what price were you able to get this beast for? Congrats!

They were asking 17.5 for it. I wound up paying 16k out the door with an 50k extended warranty that covers just about everything. There were literally less then 5 speed3's within 100 miles of me and they were all priced about the same.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

Bovine Delight posted:

Wish they had the yellow from the Protege5 still around :(

I saw three of them around here the other day. One was riced out with a black ("carbon fiber"?) hood (with scoop!) and a fart cannon. It made me sad.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think he means he wishes they offered that color on their new cars.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have any experience with a roof rack on the MS3 or the regular Mazda3? I am wanting a Yakima or Thule. Mostly for kayaks but bikes too. I read on another forum they see almost a 9 mpg reduction on the highway. It can't possibly be that bad, could it? I'm getting around 25 combined mpg, about 60/40 hwy/city, right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

God loving damnit. Someone tried to siphon gas from my MS3 today while I was at work and bent the poo poo out of that little flap just inside of the filler neck.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

CombatWombat posted:

I think he means he wishes they offered that color on their new cars.

I know. I just had to share a story about how it made me sad to see a Protege5 that had been tarted up like that when it could have been so pretty. I guess it wasn't really the most logical jump in conversation.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Found a guy parting with a Yakima roof rack system which is perfect except just need to replace the landing pads. Should be a steal.

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006
Credo quia impossibile est
A dyno day over at cp-e that took place last month..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jy47lbxfI

a quick video that I put together of it - wish I could get more footage but I run the dyno(work at cp-e).

anyone who is local - please stop by!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I put this Yakima rack I bought off Craigslist on today. Used the built in mounting brackets under the rain gutters. Haven't got a fairing yet, but jesus christ does it need one. Hit about ~50 and it sounds like you're about to take off.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

essequamvideri posted:

A dyno day over at cp-e that took place last month..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jy47lbxfI

a quick video that I put together of it - wish I could get more footage but I run the dyno(work at cp-e).

anyone who is local - please stop by!

Local to what? Where are you?

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006
Credo quia impossibile est
sorry!

The DC metro area..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought these things were supposed to piss fuel into the oil like nobody's business? Maybe I just drive mine right because I just got my Blackstone results back for my 7300 mile interval (added half a quart at about 5000 miles) and the wear numbers are almost identical to my 4400 mile interval. TBN is still at 3.2, and anything over 1.0 is good. Fuel percentage is still under 0.5%.

For anyone interested, I'm running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30, and Mazda OEM filters, and I drive the thing about 50 miles round trip to work daily. I flog the hell out of it when I get the chance, but a lot of those miles are just steady state cruise at 74 MPH.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I was under the impression that the oil dilution was correlated to short trips where the vehicle rarely gets a chance to come to operating temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The way I read it on the various Mazda forums, they did it no matter how you drive it...clearly that's just not the case.

I'll stick with 7500 mile intervals, since that's the longest factory recommendation, until the powertrain warranty is up, which is only another two changes anyway. Then I'll try for 9k.