Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I respect those guys for the amount of work they did, but most of it is lovely and suffers from 3.5's devotion to rules minutiae. I lost all interest when the site ground to a halt for what seemed like a year hammering out all the little nuances of their Defiling rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I don't think that's 3E-specific; it's a general problem with amateur RPG design.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, you're right, but 3E's "rule for everything" attitude did encourage it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There was the endless back-and-forth over half-giants too. Double hit-dice? Crippling level adjustment? Who can decide?!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Half-Giants are going to be refluffed Goliaths now, right?

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Attilla posted:

Half-Giants are going to be refluffed Goliaths now, right?

Yes, this is confirmed.

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet
maybe raam has cracked the process of making cyanide and uses it to dye their turbans, okay???

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Bieeardo posted:

There was the endless back-and-forth over half-giants too. Double hit-dice? Crippling level adjustment? Who can decide?!

Thri Kreen also got bickered over for an age, even after two official Thri Kreens came from WotC.

The Half Giants become Goliaths decision is a very good one.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Riidi WW posted:

maybe raam has cracked the process of making cyanide and uses it to dye their turbans, okay???
All people in Raam get that sensory shift wild talent and folks just see their turbans as blue.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The turbans are actually psionic symbiotes they allow to live on their head in exchange for looking fashionable.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
its an alien planet so there a source of blue dye that has no earthly analogue

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

they're blue like insect shells and bird feathers are blue, i.e. microstructures reflecting and refracting light, not chemistry

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
They are actually glowing blue due to the substantial heat applied to the turbans, but are heavily insulated on the inside to prevent it burning their templar wearers.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Vast underground mines of the remains of pre-desert sea-snails.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
The turbans are glass globes containing mercury vapor at a very low pressure. The color is actually the characteristic baby-blue glow of the most common energy level in the mercury's emission spectrum. (the electrons are raised to an excited state by psychic powers)

:science:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The turbans are in fact micro nuclear reactors glowing blue with Cherenkov radiation.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The turbans are blue because they're sad. :smith:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The turbans are blue because they are made of the sky. The sky is usually white or red or brown or something because the templars stole the original sky, dooming thousands to die in the harsh sunlight, in order to cut it into strips and wrap it around their heads so that they would look slightly more fashionable.

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

The turbans are actually yellow, everyone on Athas just has blue-yellow color blindness and can't tell the difference.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's the wastes for you...

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Belgoi-skin turban-cloth.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Aranan posted:

The turbans are blue because they're sad. :smith:

That's the wastelands for you...

edit: Esa es la tierra de basura por ti...

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I respect those guys for the amount of work they did, but most of it is lovely and suffers from 3.5's devotion to rules minutiae. I lost all interest when the site ground to a halt for what seemed like a year hammering out all the little nuances of their Defiling rules.

Bieeardo posted:

We posted:

about 20 posts debating whether Raam could have blue turbans.

Physician, heal thyself.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Squizzle posted:

Physician, heal thyself.

I don't think a jokey/nerdy debate about blue turbans on an internet forum is quite the same as someone actually spending forever trying to design a game because they're getting hung up on, say, the mechanics of blue turbans

I mean dark sun isn't out for 4e yet so there's plenty of time for very serious constructive discussion, turbans aside

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah we have months to work the blue turban thing out. Raam's ruler was the slayer of orcs, theres no more orcs, so that is proof that she has done at least one thing right in her lifetime. Turbans were, of course, traditional Green Age Raamian religious garb but the orc occupiers of Raam banned their wear. After the orcs were massacred, citizens took to wearing them again in honor of their new Queen and liberator. Thousands of years later, their religion is long forgotten but the turbans remain.

The turbans remain.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Also, City State of Tyr mentions at least two crops that are used to produce blue liquids either of which could presumably be used to make blue dye for fancy turbans.

Fake Edit: :goonsay:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

No. See the blue turbans and the religion that they symbolize are all part of the elaborate scheme Abalache has concocted to keep her citizens in line. There was never an orc occupation of Raam (orcs may in fact have been the original inhabitants of the city based on some of its oldest architecture), nor was there a religion that Abalache saved from the orcs.

Instead, Abalache instated the blue turbans as official religious garb because the Raamish traditionally perceived light blue as the color of the sky and therefor the color of heaven. Since she claimed a mandate from heaven to rule as Raam's Grand Vizier, she wanted the people to quickly associate her priests with heavenly power. The fact that they could perform miracles even after the sky turned the color of dust just served to reaffirm this connection.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

No. See the blue turbans and the religion that they symbolize are all part of the elaborate scheme Abalache has concocted to keep her citizens in line. There was never an orc occupation of Raam (orcs may in fact have been the original inhabitants of the city based on some of its oldest architecture), nor was there a religion that Abalache saved from the orcs.

Instead, Abalache instated the blue turbans as official religious garb because the Raamish traditionally perceived light blue as the color of the sky and therefor the color of heaven. Since she claimed a mandate from heaven to rule as Raam's Grand Vizier, she wanted the people to quickly associate her priests with heavenly power. The fact that they could perform miracles even after the sky turned the color of dust just served to reaffirm this connection.

You are all missing the point! The real question is how does the color of a turban affect the combat functionality of a a thri-kreen's arms and their natural AC after it's eaten and digested the turban and the poor bastard who was wearing it?

*Shuts down sight for a year to ponder this*

*Loves 3.5*

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
In fact, by wearing blue turbans they spite the dust-colored sky. Its the tenuous links to prior, lost cultures that make Athas such an interesting place.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That is the coolest hat ever.

ManMythLegend, the blue turban would give the wearer a +2 to save vs rods/poisons/psoriasis, so it should help protect the wearer from the Thri Kreen's bite.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

A blue turban is a terrible idea out in the wastes. Some giant scary bird thing will fly overhead and be all "whoa hey look at that little blue dot amidst all the brown, gonna eat that dot"

The guys not wearing blue turbans will just look on in disinterest as you are borne away, murmering, "that's the wasteland for you..." but then they will realize that your turban was probably worth more than all of their possessions combined and they will hatch an insane scheme to recover its remnants from the bird monster's nest and sell it, and then they'll die on the way there because they ran out of water

I really want to play Dark Sun now

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 22, 2010

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

That is the coolest hat ever.

ManMythLegend, the blue turban would give the wearer a +2 to save vs rods/poisons/psoriasis, so it should help protect the wearer from the Thri Kreen's bite.

But if it was consumed the amount of blue die needed to make that volume of fabric blue would lighten the carapace of the thri-kreen, and give it a blue tinge which would lower its stealth skill until it molted again.

*Furiously looks through tables for growth rate of average thri-kreen from the region around Raam.*

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Back to my original thought exercise, ie. flags and standards for the various city states:

My attention has shifted to Nibenay for some reason, so I went digging through the Ivory Triangle again. Lo and behold I came across this gem:

DM's Summary Card for Nibenay posted:

EMBLEMS
The royal seal is the Cilops, a gigantic centipede with one eye. Nobles and merchants use stylized images of the sorcerer-king, their ancestors, and themselves. Some use various creatures, real and fantastic, that come from Nibenese folklore.

Since Nibenay is totally not-China *wink wink*, my idea is to take a chinese/oriental style dragon like this:

and try to finnagle it into looking like a one-eyed centipede thing and then having it run lengthwise up a flag like this:

Click here for the full 350x873 image.

I know that style is more of a Japanese thing, but I think it adds a little variety to flag shapes and types and still keeps the asian styling. For colors I'm thinking grey background with the cilops being royal purple and green, but all of those are just kind of guesses since I couldn't find an official list.

My only real problem is trying to actually make an asian dragon look like a centipede thing. My current draft is unimpressive to say the least. Anyone else want to give it a shot?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

A blue turban is a terrible idea out in the wastes. Some giant scary bird thing will fly overhead and be all "whoa hey look at that little blue dot amidst all the brown, gonna eat that dot"

The guys not wearing blue turbans will just look on in disinterest as you are borne away, murmering, "that's the wasteland for you..." but then they will realize that your turban was probably worth more than all of their possessions combined and they will hatch an insane scheme to recover its remnants from the bird monster's nest and sell it, and then they'll die on the way there because they ran out of water

I really want to play Dark Sun now

Ahh, but the blue turban provides protection from the hot Athasian sun, so really this whole scheme is a product of sun fever.

Also, note the inherent social commentary in all this. Only the templars and those that control the means of destruction are afforded protection from the environment, while the slave and nomad castes must toil on without headwear. Wastelanders of the world unite!

quote:

Since Nibenay is totally not-China *wink wink*, my idea is to take a chinese/oriental style dragon like this:

I actually like the red yellow and blue of the dragon flag you posted as colors for Nibenay.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Ahh, but the blue turban provides protection from the hot Athasian sun, so really this whole scheme is a product of sun fever.

Also, note the inherent social commentary in all this. Only the templars and those that control the means of destruction are afforded protection from the environment, while the slave and nomad castes must toil on without headwear. Wastelanders of the world unite!

I actually like the red yellow and blue of the dragon flag you posted as colors for Nibenay.

I was thinking about a darker pallette to reflect on the whole "shadow king" aspect of Nibenay pre-Prism Pentad.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I couldn't leave this alone.

See,with a little creativity even Raam becomes less of a shithole. Nibenay ranks templars by their lack of clothing; Raam can measure by the size of their turban.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 22, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

I was thinking about a darker pallette to reflect on the whole "shadow king" aspect of Nibenay pre-Prism Pentad.

That's a good point, but it's already heavily reflected throughout the rest of Nibenay's society. Also, the yellow, red and blue can reflect that the city is built at the edge of the desert atop a series of hot springs. Yellow for sand, red for the heat, and blue for the water.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe they just grew blue cotton. You know cotton originally grew in a variety of colors? It wasn't until the 19th century the US outlawed all but the white cotton for growing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

greatn posted:

Maybe they just grew blue cotton. You know cotton originally grew in a variety of colors? It wasn't until the 19th century the US outlawed all but the white cotton for growing.

That tidbit of information isn't useful to anyone other than you unless you expand upon it, you know. Specifically, cotton grew in mocha, tan, gray, brown, black, mahogany, red, pink, blue, green, cream and white varieties. Colored cotton had shorter fibers unsuitable for industrial milling, so white cotton became dominant thanks to the industrial revolution and cheap dyeing.

Kerison fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 23, 2010

• Locked thread