Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

From what I read of a translated script of 884 it does sound at least kind of like a turning point.

Ippo accomplishes his goal of touching Woli 5 times. At the very least he's confident in his own progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ippo's just happy 'cuz he totally tapped that :smuggo:

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Shinjobi posted:

884: DON'T loving BOTHER

Raws out, and I don't think that needed any spoilers.

This does, though: If Ippo can last a few more brain shattering punches, he's managed to at least touch Woli again. I think we might see something retarded like a counter punch, or just a sacrificial blow.

I WILL poo poo A KIDNEY SO I CAN GRAZE HIS HAIR

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Woli could just run around the room and win off of points. This match is pretty dumb. Just give up.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I would love it if this turned out to be a hallucination caused by too many punches to Ippo's head, and he was actually in a coma since his fight with Sawamura.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just dropping by for my weekly: gently caress this fight in the goddamn balls comment.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Gravity? That image perfectly encapsulates this fight I think.

gently caress this fight in the goddamn balls. God I wish I knew how this was faring in Japan because it's like a slow suicide reading it..

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Infinitum posted:

God I wish I knew how this was faring in Japan because it's like a slow suicide reading it..

Hajime no Seppuku.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Heh, only been in 3 matches :smug:.

joats fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 15, 2010

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Infinitum posted:

gently caress this fight in the goddamn balls. God I wish I knew how this was faring in Japan because it's like a slow suicide reading it..

2ch hates it, from what I've seen. (Their reactions are pretty much the same as here, just in Japanese.)

Then again, 2ch hates everything.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Wow, lot of activity in this thread of late. I'll need to take a look at a few of the stories discussed here.

As for 884. Ya, so the touching of Woli is going to become a point for how Ippo recovers. I don't much enjoy watching Ippo learn to box while he gets wrecked. Also, you'd think if Woli's corner was so good that they would notice Ippo's "attack" idea and warn Woli against it.

I think I agree with Mr. Deathy. This series has been going on way too long.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I think I agree with Mr. Deathy. This series has been going on way too long.

No the series has been going along fine. This FIGHT has been going on way too long.

Someone posted some stats earlier and it's the longest fight the series has seen and it doesn't even look halfway done. The worst part of it is that there is absolutely no tension in it.
Just Ippo getting loving schooled by Woli.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The 21 was a typo, should have been 12 but that was like six weeks ago so 18-19 now. Sawamura had the longest at 22 but I doubt this fight will end in three chapters. The biggest problem like you said; that it's either boring and/or frustrating.

Globular Fellow
Sep 5, 2006

by Fistgrrl
It'd be cool if it turned out that first time Ippo almost hit woli he actually smashed his brain and woli's in a vegetative state right now and this is all his dream

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Anyone else hoping that Ippo just happens to be a young wolverine? So the next time he touches Woli, he'll literally cut his heart out. Then, he and his coach escape to America under the names of Logan and Xavier. Yeah. That'd be awesome. Except that would mean that Woli would come back as Sabertooth, and we all know what that means...

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

An Outland Dish posted:

Anyone else hoping that Ippo just happens to be a young wolverine? So the next time he touches Woli, he'll literally cut his heart out. Then, he and his coach escape to America under the names of Logan and Xavier. Yeah. That'd be awesome. Except that would mean that Woli would come back as Sabertooth, and we all know what that means...

Dude, if anyone in Hajime no Ippo is Sabertooth it's Sendoh.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I've been reading this comic for the last few weeks, and I just finished Aoki's title fight. I rarely laugh that much in any comic outside of One Piece. It's just about the halfway point, but does this comic remain this good all the way into the late 800's, where you guys are?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

KittenofDoom posted:

I've been reading this comic for the last few weeks, and I just finished Aoki's title fight. I rarely laugh that much in any comic outside of One Piece. It's just about the halfway point, but does this comic remain this good all the way into the late 800's, where you guys are?

I asked this earlier and I got a very depressing "no".

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Infinitum posted:

No the series has been going along fine. This FIGHT has been going on way too long.

So you don't think it would've been better if Ippo had a few less title fights, started fighting Pacific champs much earlier (while Morikawa wasn't quite so fresh out of ideas) and was already getting close to a fight with Martinez by now?

I mean at this point it seems like the Coach would still call Ippo a million years too green to fight Martinez or something equally stupid.

I think the series is going to be way, way overlong when it finally finishes because I keep in mind Takamura's ridiculous goal too and the fact he isn't halfway there yet.

Not that Takamura's goal isn't awesome but gently caress, how long will that take, seriously. It's already been like 5-6 years or something in real life time since he fought Eagle.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Well, the main snag in comparing this to Martinez is that Woli is 100% unorthodox. Ippo is trained to a comfort zone, and once he is taken out of that, he freaks the hell out until he adjusts (usually requires a few hard blows to the head). Martinez, whilst being a physical freak akin to Woli, is perfectly textbook. He doesn't spring around all strange-like. I'm not saying that Ippo would stand up well to Martinez easily, but just bear this in mind. Woli, in spite of being a horrible character in a badly played-out fight, is supposed to be fighting outside of the box, so to speak.

I still say he is horrible though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New chapter is out.

Woli is boxing upside down from the ceiling.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Already? Whoa. They normally don't scanslate until the darn weekends.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Infinitum posted:

New chapter is out.

Woli is boxing upside down from the ceiling.

That's fake. Actually, Woli looked at the full moon through a window and turned into a giant ape.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

KittenofDoom posted:

The series is a lot easier to tolerate in large chunks. There are still a lot of neat fights, they just don't seem to be against Ippo anymore. If you ever catch up I suggest you don't try to follow the weekly release and just wait a few years to pick it up again.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Dudley's new Super Street Fighter 4 Ultra looks familiar...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IcWff8yu8s

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

canoshiz posted:

Dudley's new Super Street Fighter 4 Ultra looks familiar...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IcWff8yu8s

Just saw that, pretty awesome. Don't forget this one, literally called "Corkscrew Blow", a nod to Date's Sunday Punch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7EXUK5KAFA
The 3rd Strike version was way less cheesy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I take back anything bad I said about Slam Dunk. The final match is loving amazing, and Inoue knew exactly where to end it. I practically poo poo myself at The left hand is just for holding the ball...

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I powered through 20'th Century Boys while waiting for the new chapter, so I can recommend that if Ippo winds up disappointing again. Which it will.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

As another unneeded diversion, Ippo's terribleness has pushed me to go read Eyeshield 21 for the first time to get my sports-manga fix, and it certainly has a lot of the humor, charm, and COMEBACK SPIRIT. I guess Slam Dunk is my next reading material.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
Still cannot find where the new chapter is, anyone help me out?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Flying High posted:

Still cannot find where the new chapter is, anyone help me out?
Hit up westbound.proboards.com and head in to the chapter discussion area. That's where the raws pop up first and foremost :v:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I've actually stopped reading the chapters and I just read the spoilers/reactions in this thread. It's more entertaining to be honest.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I've actually stopped reading the chapters and I just read the spoilers/reactions in this thread. It's more entertaining to be honest.

Yeah this is me too. I read the raw description and look at particularly heinous pages that are posted.

EDIT: I've also taken to saying 'at least it's better than the new ippo' every time there's anything even resembling boxing going on. IE: stilt boxing in jackass, the boxing scene in BSG etc

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

watch this. imagine woli in the blue trunks. smile.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
885 is out:
http://hotfile.com/dl/29473410/acfc30f/Hajime.zip.html

Also using this post to promote a little music remixing I did from the anime. Swapped out the music and it changes the whole dynamic of the scene.
Arnie vs Miyata:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydjBXrudIII
And my favorite one, Date vs Martinez:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75pW8OTNr4A

Jedah fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 22, 2010

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Wow, you can literally loop this chapter over and over again and it will be the same thing. What does that say about this fight?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Maybe this is just filler while he plots out Ippo's entry to the world stage and this is the author's idea of filler? That's plausible right? ...guys? :smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think an anime filler opponent could possibly be this bad. Well, maybe if Woli's siblings appeared and were annoying little shits to Ippo before the match. There are only so many ways this arc could have been worse.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I honestly believe Woli is going to overexert himself with his jumping around and nonstop punching. He will fall victim to his own style, and then it'll just be 6 taps from Ippo to topple him.

This is going to be worse than it sounds.:smith:

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Shinjobi posted:

I honestly believe Woli is going to overexert himself with his jumping around and nonstop punching. He will fall victim to his own style, and then it'll just be 6 taps from Ippo to topple him.

This is going to be worse than it sounds.:smith:

http://www.strimoo.com/video/14179682/Ken-Shamrock-Vs-Kazuyuki-Fujita-Pride-10-Veoh.html

Ippo is Kazuyuki Fujita, Woli is Ken Shamrock.

CALLING IT NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Very subtle hint of Woli on a downward turn on page 14-15. Miguel is all :confused: because Woli shuffles his foot. Basically, he's almost out of gas and is slowing down. Also, though, he told his coach a page or so earlier that he is done holding back. Basically, he's "bored" with Ippo.

Also, Coach says he's throwing in the towel if Ippo goes down. The ref is also, of course, not too keen with Ippo's state in the fight. Was hoping something would happen this week (haw haw haw :smith:), but there are some indicators of something going on next time.

God drat you Mori.