Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I have a line on a newer BMW R1150R for $2300. If maintainance records are up to date and the bike looks good is this a good deal? It will be my first bike but I have some family that love BMW motorcycles and they are pretty good at fixing their own. Trying to get info soon as it's time sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mcqueen posted:

I have a line on a newer BMW R1150R for $2300. If maintainance records are up to date and the bike looks good is this a good deal? It will be my first bike but I have some family that love BMW motorcycles and they are pretty good at fixing their own. Trying to get info soon as it's time sensitive.

Should be a good deal, ex-police bike? Those things see a lot of abuse, but if you've got family who can help you out you'll be ok.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Mcqueen posted:

Very good deal price wise, what sort of mileage does it have? Expect to replace the clutch around 60-70K, which is a pricey fix. You should also check for surge at walking speed.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

Should be a good deal, ex-police bike? Those things see a lot of abuse, but if you've got family who can help you out you'll be ok.

It's black so I doubt it? Trying to get more info now. But thanks for the help so far!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
The R1150R is the 'naked' bike. It's the R11xxRT that's the touring bike, and the R11xxRTP is the police bike.

Jump on that thang, that's pretty much a steal for *any* BMW bike. If it's in truly horrible shape, you could probably part it out and still make your money back, and then some. I could sell *just* the engine and transmission from the R1100RS and make back the $1500 I have in mine.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

kylej posted:

I love wearing ridiculous motorcycle gear. It's another element of the enjoyment I get from riding. I'll stop at a grocery store just to buy a bottle of water or some other poo poo I don't need. Cranky old housewives and little kids can't comprehend what they're looking it. It's great.

SRSLY. I will purposefully take the bike to do errands around town even if the car would be way faster (once you count getting geared up), just because it's an excuse to wear some of the most ridiculous outfits ever made.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Tsaven Nava posted:

SRSLY. I will purposefully take the bike to do errands around town even if the car would be way faster (once you count getting geared up), just because it's an excuse to wear some of the most ridiculous outfits ever made.

Heh, yep. Been there, done that. Who cares what the box jockeys think anyway? They are the major reason we need to armor up in the first place. Usually I don't even take off anything but my gloves and flip up my visor, at least for the short stops.

Besides, kids love it. Any chance to undo some of TV's Evil Biker image seems like a good idea to me.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Yeah, my helmet is a flip-face, so I'll usually flip it up and take off the gloves. If I'm inside for a period of time I'll probably take the helmet off.

I think I listed that in my "Things you love the poo poo out of while riding". Walking into a shop or someplace wearing some absolutely outrageous clothing, and having everyone stare at you like you're some kind of a weirdo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tsaven Nava posted:

Walking into a shop or someplace wearing some absolutely outrageous clothing, and having everyone stare at you like because you're some kind of a weirdo.

:D

Honestly, grown men and women dressing up in brightly-coloured leather outfits and riding around on fundamentally unstable and aggressive looking contraptions is a bit odd. The way you move around on a bike completely exposed and unrestrained and the sheer acceleration power further boggles most peoples' minds.

At least, that's the impression I get from my family and colleagues etc.. I poo poo you not, my dad actually told me that anything driving around on only two wheels is just plain wrong and that bikes (of all kinds) shouldn't be able to function the way they do.

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

She was your regular kinda dame.. Then she put me into a deep beta freeze..
Well, I've been scanning craigslist like a madman for a couple years and finally found a bike that I can afford on my college student salary. It's an '81 Kawasaki 305 CSR for $700 OBO and just needs a new battery according to the ad. It never said how many miles that it had, but obviously I'll check that out when I go to see it.

Is there anything I need to look for besides the condition of the tires? I'd like to learn to work on it myself.. Hopefully it's not too complicated for a beginner. I don't think I'd have any trouble riding it, since I've been riding dirt bikes for several years and have taken the MSF course.

Here's the picture that was included on the ad. Everything I've seen of them have been beautiful.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Mr Yuck posted:

Well, I've been scanning craigslist like a madman for a couple years and finally found a bike that I can afford on my college student salary. It's an '81 Kawasaki 305 CSR for $700 OBO and just needs a new battery according to the ad. It never said how many miles that it had, but obviously I'll check that out when I go to see it.

Is there anything I need to look for besides the condition of the tires? I'd like to learn to work on it myself.. Hopefully it's not too complicated for a beginner. I don't think I'd have any trouble riding it, since I've been riding dirt bikes for several years and have taken the MSF course.

Here's the picture that was included on the ad. Everything I've seen of them have been beautiful.

If you're serious about the bike, and all it needs is a new battery, buy a battery and bring it with you when you inspect the bike. Hook the battery up and see what happens.

"Just needs a new battery" is often code for "Battery is shot, and everything else might be as well because I haven't started it in two years"

That said, that looks like an excellent bike to start on! Enjoy the hell out of it.

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

Tsaven Nava posted:

If you're serious about the bike, and all it needs is a new battery, buy a battery and bring it with you when you inspect the bike. Hook the battery up and see what happens.

"Just needs a new battery" is often code for "Battery is shot, and everything else might be as well because I haven't started it in two years"

That said, that looks like an excellent bike to start on! Enjoy the hell out of it.

I just might have to do that.. He said that he usually jumps it and it runs well, but it's definitely good to be skeptical in these situations.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Mr Yuck posted:

I just might have to do that.. He said that he usually jumps it and it runs well, but it's definitely good to be skeptical in these situations.

If possible, also bring a multi-meter and if the bike does start off a jump, check the system voltage while it's running. The stator/alternator/magneto/doohicky that makes electricity might be bad instead of just the battery.

Have him start the bike off a jump (with the old "bad" battery in it), and with the bike running at idle check the voltage. Should be 12.8-13.4v. Rev it to ~2000rpm, voltage should go to between 13.8v-14.4v.

If it's no in these ranges, or jumps around, there's something up with the charging system, which could have killed the battery. It's not an automatic reason to refuse the deal, but it's reason to knock a bunch of money off the price.

Also, if you have time for a lot of reading: Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

Yeah, my helmet is a flip-face, so I'll usually flip it up and take off the gloves. If I'm inside for a period of time I'll probably take the helmet off.

I think I listed that in my "Things you love the poo poo out of while riding". Walking into a shop or someplace wearing some absolutely outrageous clothing, and having everyone stare at you like you're some kind of a weirdo.

I personally think color-matching your gear with your bike looks a little goofy unless your bike is white or black. I do love me a flat black bike with all black gear, though. Or a white bike with black gear, or vice versa. Hell, black gear looks good with everything.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tsaven Nava posted:

My favorite is walking into a gas station with my helmet on to pay when the clerk isn't paying attention. When they turn around / look up the little :wtc: jump they do is hilarious.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tsaven Nava posted:

If possible, also bring a multi-meter and if the bike does start off a jump, check the system voltage while it's running. The stator/alternator/magneto/doohicky that makes electricity might be bad instead of just the battery.

Have him start the bike off a jump (with the old "bad" battery in it), and with the bike running at idle check the voltage. Should be 12.8-13.4v. Rev it to ~2000rpm, voltage should go to between 13.8v-14.4v.

If it's no in these ranges, or jumps around, there's something up with the charging system, which could have killed the battery. It's not an automatic reason to refuse the deal, but it's reason to knock a bunch of money off the price.

Also, if you have time for a lot of reading: Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

You're probably going to have to rev it higher than 2k to get charging voltage out of it...my rule is 3k RPM or 1/3rd of total RPM, whichever is higher.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I just got a call from a local dealer that I was browsing at a while back.

He has a new 2009 KLR650 for $4500 and a new 2009 DL650 for $6200.

I really like the V-Strom, and have been looking around for them on craigslist and the like. There are almost none on the market though around me. I also like the KLR, but since I would use a bike for commuting more than anything else, I don't know if that would be a good choice.

The KLR doesn't have a fuel gauge, isn't fuel injected and is single cylinder. I am assuming it would be a lot less smooth. Any comments on that?

This would be my first bike that I own, though last summer I had a good amount of time to practice and learn on my roommate's FZ6. I also had a good amount of time in Vietnam riding Minsks around.

I am also debating if getting a murdercycle is a good idea. I am a very conservative rider, but it is still a risky endeavor. Especially if you do it on a day to day basis (which I would want to do). I love riding, but I also like having all my parts intact.

Any comments would be appreciated :)

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

Well, the seller just posted a new CL ad lowering the price to $500 firm, adding that it needs a "lite tuneup". I should probably take it to my local service shop and have them do a check-up, shouldn't I?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mr Yuck posted:

Well, the seller just posted a new CL ad lowering the price to $500 firm, adding that it needs a "lite tuneup". I should probably take it to my local service shop and have them do a check-up, shouldn't I?

"Lite tuneup": It's only been on fire once or twice! :downs:

Do you have someone mechanically experienced who could help you check it out? Sometimes a seller's "lite tuneup" means "engine rebuild, wiring harness, and replace the carbs while you're at it because they've become a solid block of varnish and rage. Sometimes it means it needs an oil change and some plugs. It's hard to tell the 2 apart unless you know what you're looking for.

If you don't have a friend who can look it over, I'd pass and save a little more and find a good, running bike to start with. You could take it to a shop, if you can find one that'll do an inspection on a bike like that, but you'll end up spending money on that and chances are it needs at least 1200$ in work if you do it via shop time.

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

Z3n posted:

"Lite tuneup": It's only been on fire once or twice! :downs:

Do you have someone mechanically experienced who could help you check it out? Sometimes a seller's "lite tuneup" means "engine rebuild, wiring harness, and replace the carbs while you're at it because they've become a solid block of varnish and rage. Sometimes it means it needs an oil change and some plugs. It's hard to tell the 2 apart unless you know what you're looking for.

If you don't have a friend who can look it over, I'd pass and save a little more and find a good, running bike to start with. You could take it to a shop, if you can find one that'll do an inspection on a bike like that, but you'll end up spending money on that and chances are it needs at least 1200$ in work if you do it via shop time.

That's pretty much what I thought. I don't have any friends near me that could come check it out at the moment, so it looks like I'll have to pass... It sucks living in a college town in Idaho where the only bikes for sale are new R6's recently crashed by frat guys or Harleys. Is an older Yamaha so much to ask for? :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hm. Contacted this guy. The fact that he has extra fairings is a bit odd, but the price is right.

http://vfrworld.com/classifieds/bikes-for-sale/p2366-98-vfr.html

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I really like the V-Strom, and have been looking around for them on craigslist and the like. There are almost none on the market though around me. I also like the KLR, but since I would use a bike for commuting more than anything else, I don't know if that would be a good choice.

The KLR doesn't have a fuel gauge, isn't fuel injected and is single cylinder. I am assuming it would be a lot less smooth. Any comments on that?

I am also debating if getting a murdercycle is a good idea. I am a very conservative rider, but it is still a risky endeavor. Especially if you do it on a day to day basis (which I would want to do). I love riding, but I also like having all my parts intact.

If you've got a budget of that much, you could always do a fly-n-ride. Poke around the Flea Market at ADVrider, you can get all sorts of gently-used Wees that are farkled to the hilt for $4-$5k. The bikes are pretty bulletproof so while it's a little bit of a gamble buying site unseen, almost everyone at ADV is incredibly honest and trustworthy and not in any way might be an axe murderer.

In the grand scheme of things, $150 for a plane ticket isn't much, and it's an excuse for a road trip! :D

And yes you should get a motorcycle. Maybe take the Intermediate MSF course (since you already know how to work the bike's controls), make sure you're geared up and practice safe riding habits, and you should make it to old age with all of the parts you came with.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
There's a bike/ATV/PWC dealer around the corner from my house, and they have the following things piquing my interest:

99 Ninja 250 - 1400km - $2399
08 Ninja 250 - Green (931mi. - US import looks like); Red (8500km) - $3999
around 5x 08 GS500s :swoon: - 2km (yes two km. - I think it's either a factory refurb demo or it never moved in 2 yrs) - $4999

Some tough decisions to make :ohdear:

Sharp_angus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 21, 2010

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Tsaven Nava posted:

If you've got a budget of that much, you could always do a fly-n-ride. Poke around the Flea Market at ADVrider, you can get all sorts of gently-used Wees that are farkled to the hilt for $4-$5k. The bikes are pretty bulletproof so while it's a little bit of a gamble buying site unseen, almost everyone at ADV is incredibly honest and trustworthy and not in any way might be an axe murderer.

In the grand scheme of things, $150 for a plane ticket isn't much, and it's an excuse for a road trip! :D

And yes you should get a motorcycle. Maybe take the Intermediate MSF course (since you already know how to work the bike's controls), make sure you're geared up and practice safe riding habits, and you should make it to old age with all of the parts you came with.

I have been, the DL650s are like non-existent on the used market. $6200 though is a good deal for a 2009 new, and I might be able to talk them down more. The local bike show was two weeks ago, so if they still haven't sold it they probably want to be rid of it.

What fees do you think I will have on top of the offer price?

I also know you have a DL650, how have you liked it so far?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I have been, the DL650s are like non-existent on the used market. $6200 though is a good deal for a 2009 new, and I might be able to talk them down more. The local bike show was two weeks ago, so if they still haven't sold it they probably want to be rid of it.

What fees do you think I will have on top of the offer price?

I also know you have a DL650, how have you liked it so far?

Really? When I was looking (a couple months ago) there was a slew of them, even local to me. Even more of them in the south. Could be that we're coming up on the bad time to be trying to buy a bike?

Don't put up with ANY fees besides what the dealer is legally obligated to charge, and even then they have wiggle room on those. They're going to try and tack on all sorts of Assembly fees, Dealer Prep fees, Delivery fees, and none of them mean jack poo poo. It's just a way of being able to put a tantalizingly low price on the bike's sticker, and then raising the price up once you go to sign.

There's no getting around paying Tax, Title, and License, but the dealer can lower the price of the bike enough to not make those matter. When you're making offers on the bike, make it clear that you want to be out-the-door for that price. Having cash in hand is always a good move, everyone loves cash and is likely willing to fiddle with the numbers a bit more if you've got it.

I'm sure others can chime in a lot more in terms of advice buying a new bike.

As for my opinion on it? I <3 it so big. The stock seat is kinda hard and the pegs are too high for my liking, but both those are easily fixable and I do have kind of silly-long legs.

My only real complaint about the bike is with the Happy Trails bags that I got with it, you tend to slam your ankle on the corner when you go to swing you leg over the seat.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Tsaven Nava posted:

Really? When I was looking (a couple months ago) there was a slew of them, even local to me. Even more of them in the south. Could be that we're coming up on the bad time to be trying to buy a bike?

Don't put up with ANY fees besides what the dealer is legally obligated to charge, and even then they have wiggle room on those. They're going to try and tack on all sorts of Assembly fees, Dealer Prep fees, Delivery fees, and none of them mean jack poo poo. It's just a way of being able to put a tantalizingly low price on the bike's sticker, and then raising the price up once you go to sign.

There's no getting around paying Tax, Title, and License, but the dealer can lower the price of the bike enough to not make those matter. When you're making offers on the bike, make it clear that you want to be out-the-door for that price. Having cash in hand is always a good move, everyone loves cash and is likely willing to fiddle with the numbers a bit more if you've got it.

I'm sure others can chime in a lot more in terms of advice buying a new bike.

As for my opinion on it? I <3 it so big. The stock seat is kinda hard and the pegs are too high for my liking, but both those are easily fixable and I do have kind of silly-long legs.

My only real complaint about the bike is with the Happy Trails bags that I got with it, you tend to slam your ankle on the corner when you go to swing you leg over the seat.
I'm 6'-3" so I also have silly-long legs as you say. AS far as looking for a used DL650, I have been searching everywhere online and the closest I have found is one in like Florida (I live in Baltimore).

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I'm 6'-3" so I also have silly-long legs as you say. AS far as looking for a used DL650, I have been searching everywhere online and the closest I have found is one in like Florida (I live in Baltimore).

That's an easy ride. If it were out in California I might say that's questionable, but really, if the price is good and the bike has all the farkles you'd want yourself already on it, $90 for a plane ticket, plus a couple nights worth of hotel rooms isn't a bad gig.

Bundle up, call it a short vacation if you must, and go for it :)

Also, if you have long legs, there's a couple of options for lowering the footpegs, and you can get a seat off a DL1000, it's about 1" taller. Suzuki also makes an even taller touring seat that's a total of 1.8" taller then the stock DL650 seat.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Tsaven Nava posted:

That's an easy ride. If it were out in California I might say that's questionable, but really, if the price is good and the bike has all the farkles you'd want yourself already on it, $90 for a plane ticket, plus a couple nights worth of hotel rooms isn't a bad gig.

Bundle up, call it a short vacation if you must, and go for it :)

Also, if you have long legs, there's a couple of options for lowering the footpegs, and you can get a seat off a DL1000, it's about 1" taller. Suzuki also makes an even taller touring seat that's a total of 1.8" taller then the stock DL650 seat.

But I am looking at $5k for a bike in southern Florida with 10k miles on it versus a brand new one for $6k plus taxes and title two miles away. After you add up hotels, airfare, taxi fare, vacation time and most importantly the risk of buying and riding an unknown bike across five states, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

Found a different bike. This time it's an '81 Honda CB750-C Custom that looked pretty pristine aside from old break fluid and a few little scratches on the tank paint. It comes with both the owners and service manual, saddle bags, windscreen and maybe a battery charger too. I need to go back and look at the mileage on it, but it was supposedly always garaged.

Looking at the blue book value, I think the $1700 he's asking is a bit steep... I'm thinking about low-balling with 1300 in cash.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Cheesemaster200 posted:

But I am looking at $5k for a bike in southern Florida with 10k miles on it versus a brand new one for $6k plus taxes and title two miles away. After you add up hotels, airfare, taxi fare, vacation time and most importantly the risk of buying and riding an unknown bike across five states, it just doesn't seem worth it.

Yeah, that's hard to justify. Then again you could see how much you could talk down the Wee in Florida, or if it's really farkled up (hard bags, center stand, all that stuff) it might be worth it. Besides, it's an excuse to ditch winter for a few days :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Well, if you can wait, I've seen a few pop up on Craigslist here in DC a few times not too long ago.

EDIT: Craiglook shows me one in Maine, one in Philly, one in Albany, and a few more that are much closer than Florida.

http://craiglook.com/motorcycles.html?q=dl650

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 22, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Found out I'm not going to have health insurance in 2 months, may not be getting a bike in that case :smith:

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The new KLR's switched from the old plastic fairings, so dropping them is a lot messier. That alone encouraged me not to consider anything '08 and newer. (That and being a cheapskate).

I still regret not buying a pre-1985 Minsk, crating it up with a bunch of parts, and shipping it to myself.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Got an extra room you could crash in in Tampa on your way up after March 6, just sayin'.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
As update: started on a CB250 in 2008, rode that for a year, moved to DC and bought a 2001 Triumph Bonneville 790cc for around $4K.

Minor wipe-out in fall that did little to the bike except bust the shift lever, but it left me a little bike-shy and by the time I was ready to get back on I hit some repair issues trying to drill-out the broken bolt, then hit a string of bad winter weather, and then in January got suddenly deployed to Afghanistan.

So now my Triumph is sitting in storage at my uncle's house, broken lever fixed but carbs clogged from sitting, and with a few minor scratches from the fall. Pissed at myself, as the paint was perfect prior to that.

In any case, the Triumph was fun and steady on the open road, but not much fun to drive around town in DC compared to my little CB250. Plus I don't like having a bike where I worry about getting the paint scratched up. Further, Triumphs aren't too rare in DC, and I want a little more character. Another factor is that the aftermarket for Triumphs is a little sparse.

My current thought is to sell my Triumph, as I have a coworker going home before I do who really wants to buy mine (I figure I'll swallow several hundred bucks for the scratches I put on it). What I'm looking to get in its place, whenever I happen to get back from Afghanistan mid-2010 or early 2011, is to buy a UJM somewhere around the 500cc, 50hp, 350lbs mark. A casual glance seems to indicate that the old 1970s Honda CB500T, or the 1990s CB500 Twin, might suit. Not sure about the CB500 Four, as more carbs to clean sounds annoying, and it's a heavy bike at 420lbs (vs 450 for the 790 Triumph).

I'm thinking to buy one as beater but functional as I find it, put on some M-bars and bar-ends, paint it matte black if it needs paint, maybe stencil on some Arabic calligraphy, and make assorted rat-bike mods (not to include putting in poser artificial dents). I figure I'll end up with a bike just powerful enough for basic highway work, but nimble enough to be fun in the city, and that will be more quirky and less yuppy. And hopefully more Honda-reliable, as the Triumph was a little finicky.

Does this sound like a workable plan?

On a minor sidenote, the buddy who wants to buy my Triumph might want to trade his current bike towards mine. It's a restored, clean, and running 1981 Yamaha XS400. I dimly recall I was warned off that model at some point in this thread, but I might be thinking of the similar Kawasaki.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

On a minor sidenote, the buddy who wants to buy my Triumph might want to trade his current bike towards mine. It's a restored, clean, and running 1981 Yamaha XS400.

I had one of those and it was a fun little bike. Pretty perfect for what you are describing you want. I can't imagine what there might be to warn you off of. It's not fast by any means, though. Top end was 70 or maybe 80. If you aren't doing more than very short highway hops though, should be fine.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
The Aprilia I was going to pickup got stolen out from under me so I'm looking for something else now. Mainly something moderately modern (likely salvage titled) for under $3000.

So talk me into or out of this guy:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1611143573.html

Yamaha 2003 FZ1, 19K miles, new tires, runs great, needs windshield, salvage titile, $2,700 offer/trade.

I'm guessing I can prob walk away with it for $2500.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nah, I'd pass. Too much money, not enough bike. The FZ1s took an engine that was really top end biased and lopped it off. It doesn't really feel like a literbike. Are you in the bay?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Doctor Zero posted:

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

On a minor sidenote, the buddy who wants to buy my Triumph might want to trade his current bike towards mine. It's a restored, clean, and running 1981 Yamaha XS400.

I had one of those and it was a fun little bike. Pretty perfect for what you are describing you want. I can't imagine what there might be to warn you off of. It's not fast by any means, though. Top end was 70 or maybe 80. If you aren't doing more than very short highway hops though, should be fine.

Hmmm... Looked into it a little, and the XS400 weighs a solid 400lbs and only gets 35hp. The Honda CB450 is of similar weight but puts out 43hp with a claimed 110 mph.

But looking at the 1990s CB500 Twin, it puts out a whole 57hp at 374lbs, and the older 1970s CB500T (also twin) does 42hp at 430lbs.

Looking at all the numbers, the 1990s CB500 looks to be really powerful but a good chunk lighter than the others. Plus hopefully fewer electrical and other maintenance issues than a 1970s bike. Only problem appears aesthetic; the 1990s CB500 is swoopier than I'd like:

I like the funkier look:

I dunno, if I get a good deal on a cosmetically-beat 1990s CB, can I just rip off some fairings, get a more brutal look?

Are there any funky Kawasakis or Yamahas from the 1980s-ish period I should consider, which also have a low seat height and are under 400lbs?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Nah, I'd pass. Too much money, not enough bike. The FZ1s took an engine that was really top end biased and lopped it off. It doesn't really feel like a literbike. Are you in the bay?

Yeah, live in Oakland, work in Cupertino. Next for the chopping block:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/1609024598.html

2001 Honda CBR 929 RR
Salvage title(everything is straight)
17,200 miles
$2700

I'd probably strip the plastics and street fighter it eventually so don't think I care about the extra stuff he has.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Yeah, live in Oakland, work in Cupertino. Next for the chopping block:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/1609024598.html

2001 Honda CBR 929 RR
Salvage title(everything is straight)
17,200 miles
$2700

I'd probably strip the plastics and street fighter it eventually so don't think I care about the extra stuff he has.

Those are REALLY good bikes. The only problems that spring to mind are the typical honda R/R and CCT failures, although mine had 49k on it when I sold it with zero problems, besides an ejected spark plug (reinstalled it, no problems, probably wasn't torqued correctly). If it's got the valves adjusted, it should go for an easy 32k, probably closer to 48k, before they need to be touched again.

They're also stupid fast. I sold mine because I got tickets like it was my job on the drat thing. Most of the mods he has listed will rob you of midrange, which is the best part about that engine. Mine had the engine stock, pipe stock, PC3 for the stock exhaust/K&N, and all of the flapper valve stuff in it, and it had the world's flattest torque curve. 136 HP, 86 foot pounds of torque at peak.

If I were to buy another, my mod list would be respringing and revalving the front end, wave rotors, and then you could ride the hell out of it for essentially forever. If it were a daily, a bar kit.

Monster engine, fantastic chassis, just a wonderful bike all around. Very, very easy to ride stupid fast.

I paid 3600$ for mine with upgraded suspension, 36k, wave rotors, a slipon (which I pulled and sold), a PC3, plus some other odds and ends. It was a great motorcycle, I'd still have it if it didn't get me in trouble with the cops. If you've got some self control, I'd go for it...try and get him a few hundred lower on principal, 2700$ isn't a great price, but the 929 is a great, very underrated motorcycle. I met a lot of people who had owned them and loved them when I had mine and most of them sold them for 2 reasons: Too easy to get in trouble on, and just a little too uncomfortable. They're good for sportbikes, but still not quite comfortable.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Nah, I'd pass. Too much money, not enough bike. The FZ1s took an engine that was really top end biased and lopped it off. It doesn't really feel like a literbike.

I'm going to disagree with you on that. It's a split personality bike. Up until about 8K, it feels like a well mannered bike with plenty of grunt, you don't have to rev the tits off it to get it moving like a 600-and in the upper reaches of the powerband it gets very serious very quickly. Like power wheelie serious. It may be too much money for a bike with a salvage title but bike wise, it's about all most sane people would ever need.