Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
18th century agribuisness itt

edit: SNIPE

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The blue is a mineral-based dye derived from azurite. They are wasting a huge potential resource of valuable copper deposits to make their turbans blue.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Speleothing posted:

The blue is a mineral-based dye derived from azurite. They are wasting a huge potential resource of valuable copper deposits to make their turbans blue.

Aside from azurite being toxic, the heat from skin and the open air fades its color.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kerison posted:

Aside from azurite being toxic, the heat from skin and the open air fades its color.

magic color-fast bleach

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Which makes them require more azurite to dye their turbans, leading to a vicious cycle and the downfall of Raam. I think we've got it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

This whole conversation reminds me of the civilization in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that collapsed due to a runaway shoe economy. :v:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm telling you people that it's belgoi-skin suede.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

High ranking templars wear the bells as charm bracelets.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

And on the third day he said let their be the Nibenese flag, and it was ok but still pretty sloppy:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I like it except for the writing. Writing does not exist in public on Athas. Simply putting the name or motto of the city state on the flag would be seen as an encouragement or enticement to literacy amongst the underclasses and a huge breach of the social order.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

On second thought, you're right. I've been laboring under the assumtion all of these years that reading was permitted amung the nobility and upper-upper class. After rereading some stuff though you're right, it's forbidden for everyone. My bust.

Anyway, here is an updated version:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I'm pretty sure nobles are allowed to read and write, but they're the only group outside the templar caste that can. Technically, the merchants aren't allowed to be literate, but they kind of have to be because of the record keeping necessary to run a large trading dynasty. This is sometimes used by the templars as an excuse to crack down on a trading house they are displeased with, but not too often because the cities need the merchants if they are to survive.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
roleplay as an illiterate mentat who is also the founder of a trading dynasty

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

He lost it when his chief rival hired a powerful psion to steal his trade secrets.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
Yeah, templars and the nobility are permitted literacy while merchants are only allowed ciphers for the keeping of accounts.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The confusion comes when you start talking about Merchant Houses as opposed to just merchants. I was under the impression that most of the Houses were also noble families and thus could conduct written business with each other unlike just your regular free man tradesman with a shop somewhere.

The way I see it just because literacy is outlawed doesn't mean you wouldn't see words displayed prominently. Especially in official areas like on government buildings and such. A slave might not be able to read, but he may be able to recognize the string of symbols that means "Nibenay" or "Urik".

Also Nibenay in particular might have a different relationship with the written word then most other city states. The Shadow King actually keeps a legion of "scholar slaves" locked in his basement that are not only literate, but also given access to ancient documents to read, translate, and write about for various and sundry sinister purposes. I'm not saying he's going to start a Book-It program, but I don't think it would be out of the question to see his name/city name/nick name on official city stuff like flags.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

From The Wanderer's Journal, original boxed set, pp. 13-17:

The Templars posted:

Templars are the guardians of reading and writing. Because knowledge is power, and the most efficient way of passing on knowledge is through writing, no one but templars and nobles are permitted to read and write. One of the most sacred duties of the templar bureaucracy is to prevent knowledge of this art from spreading beyond their own ranks and that of the nobility. Most kings have authorized them to execute on the spot anyone else demonstrating knowledge of these critical skills.

The Nobility posted:

Like the templars, the nobles are permitted to read and write, and they are usually equally vigilant about protecting this critical secret.

The Freemen posted:

But if a freeman cannot pay his debts, exhibits knowledge of reading, writing, or magic, or undertakes some other forbidden activity, he is judged to be in violation of the king's edicts. The templars have the right to (and almost certainly will) seize him and sell him into slavery. This practice is a source of considerable income to many templars.

Merchants posted:

Technically, merchants are not permitted to read or write, but they are allowed to keep accounts. I should note that most houses have highly developed methods of "keeping accounts." For all practical purposes, most merchants can both read and write in the secret language of their houses. Not surprisingly, jealous templars spend a considerable amount of energy trying to prove to the king that the keeping of accounts is, in fact, a form of reading and writing.

Slaves, Artists posted:

In most cities, it is common practice to secretly teach valued [artist] slaves the art of reading and writing, so that they may read the words of the masters and record their own observations for owner's next of kin (this is how I came by the art myself). For the artists, there is only one drawback to this privilege: popularity is a fickle thing, and most artists fall out of favor within a few years of their success.

When that happens, those who have been taught how to read and write suffer one of two fates: their owners either have them executed for knowing how to read and write, or they are sent to the gladiatorial pits as fodder. It is no wonder that many artists, upon sensing their popularity beginning to wane, plan elaborate escapes and flee into the desert as I did.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

You know, for the flag project, Veilied Alliance might be useful. Its breakdown of the Alliance in various city-states also includes miniature "CIA Fact Book"-type profiles of each of the original boxed set's seven city-states. One of the items: emblems. Urik's, for instance, are all...Hamanu! His face, him "in battle dress", etc.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Squizzle posted:

You know, for the flag project, Veilied Alliance might be useful. Its breakdown of the Alliance in various city-states also includes miniature "CIA Fact Book"-type profiles of each of the original boxed set's seven city-states. One of the items: emblems. Urik's, for instance, are all...Hamanu! His face, him "in battle dress", etc.

I wish you had brought this up a week ago.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

I wish you had brought this up a week ago.

Contrary to all evidence here, I don't have all of Dark Sun memorised, and I don't do regular re-reads of Dark Sun books. But, yeah, sorry about that timing. :3:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I don't know what happened to my supplements. All I have left are the two boxes and the first cycle of adventure modules. :froggonk:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I stole them, in the dead of night.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

You motherfucker!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

So what you're saying is that you have both, at one time or another, owned and read various books. An act contrary to our God-King's laws, and forbidden to all freemen?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I don't get Dark Sun.

The concept of post apocalyptic fantasy is intriguing in itself, and a lot of the lore is pretty neat.

But DS seems to pretty much be all these horrible grognardy elements of past editions wrapped up in one setting.

I mean, the whole planet is pretty much the poster-child of a 2E-style deathtrap, where the players aren't heroes, or even in any way heroic, just poor mooks trying to avoid arbitrarily dying. And muls manage to make the half-orc rape baby backstory look downright pleasant.

I guess its because it was before my time.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I mean, the whole planet is pretty much the poster-child of a 2E-style deathtrap, where the players aren't heroes, or even in any way heroic, just poor mooks trying to avoid arbitrarily dying. And muls manage to make the half-orc rape baby backstory look downright pleasant.

I'd contest this with an argument that the older editions of Dark Sun made themselves: if the world is so unremittingly harsh that most people only give a poo poo about survival and the bad guys are mostly running the show, doesn't that just provide greater opportunities for heroism and make a character who performs heroic deeds stand out even more? The notion has never been that heroism, changing the status quo, or carving out your own kingdom is impossible, it's simply very difficult. If you think player characters dealing with greater environmental and social adversity is equitable to Tomb of Horrors, I dunno what to say. A good story in Dark Sun is about the destruction and renewal of people's hope, not their physical body.

I think some people conflate the notion reinforced repeatedly in 3E and 4E that player characters are special people for better or worse with the notion that player characters should always succeed at everything and nobody should ever die.

EDIT: How do you feel about Dark Heresy and the other Warhammer RPG lines?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Read "A Princess of Mars" and set your brain to the first time you watched Star Wars.

It'll make more sense then.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Because the PCs are extraordinary people. They can change the world.

(And it's not post-apocalyptic, it's dying earth. Semantics! :parrot:)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

So what you're saying is that you have both, at one time or another, owned and read various books. An act contrary to our God-King's laws, and forbidden to all freemen?

Didn't you notice my blue turban. I am a high templar of Raam.

quote:

I don't get Dark Sun.

But the players are heroic. It's a world where the bad guys won a long time ago. Any attempt to break their control or eke out a more pleasant existence is an act of heroism. Dark Sun is great because even the most trivial act of heroism is a great challenge and something to be honored. If you play it as "survive this horrid shithole for as long as you can", you're doing it wrong. The campaign is more, "you're the only hope left, and the whole world is against you."

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

PeterWeller posted:

The campaign is more, "you're the only hope left, and the whole world is against you."
Dark Sun is very much a one generation campaign world. Your PCs at the end of the campaign don't retire and open a bar someplace and then fifteen years later in another village a few hundred miles away you start a new campaign set in the same universe that the first PCs adventured around in (for one thing the world is tiny). The fact that there were PCs before changes Dark Sun too much for it to continue being Dark Sun.

If you want to run a second game in Dark Sun, especially if the first group of characters made it out of Heroic tier, let alone into Epic, you'll basically need to rewind everything to the starting conditions again.

Basically imagine it like Dragonlance if Dragonlance didn't suck and PCs were the actual important people instead of their crappy Expanded Universe knock-offs. The party gets to decide what happens to the world instead of going on a sightseeing tour through other people's accomplishments and NPCs.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Norglyfe is correct. To see what he's talking about, one just needs to read the Revised Boxed Set. After the heroes of the Pentad saved the world, it was no longer a world you wanted to adventure in.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But you could totally go surfing so long as a tentacled shark didn't harsh on your waves!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'd contest this with an argument that the older editions of Dark Sun made themselves: if the world is so unremittingly harsh that most people only give a poo poo about survival and the bad guys are mostly running the show, doesn't that just provide greater opportunities for heroism and make a character who performs heroic deeds stand out even more? The notion has never been that heroism, changing the status quo, or carving out your own kingdom is impossible, it's simply very difficult. If you think player characters dealing with greater environmental and social adversity is equitable to Tomb of Horrors, I dunno what to say. A good story in Dark Sun is about the destruction and renewal of people's hope, not their physical body.
See, this is what I would think. But whenever I read these discussions (elsewhere, at least), the general vibe given off is that if you're playing anything other than amoral self-serving psychopaths (compared to regular D&D parties, even) and manage to make some sort of positive change, you're doing it wrong. I'll concede the point, though, since this just seem to be me reading the wrong stuff.

It doesn't help that when something like this happened in canon, it apparently ruined the setting.

Edit: Know what? ignore that poo poo. You guys are starting to sell me on this now.

quote:

EDIT: How do you feel about Dark Heresy and the other Warhammer RPG lines?

System-wise, I found they handled the whole "incredibly deadly" thing much more gracefully than D&D ever did.

As far as setting goes, though, Dark Heresy is about as grimdark. But the WH40k universe is huge, and it really never lets go of the theme that you're doing all these horrible things for the good of humanity. Corruption aside, WFRP isn't too different from a standard fantasy setting except with added racism.

The big thing for me, though, is that both of those also have a sense of humor to go with the darkness.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Actually, with the conclusion of the first 4e Adventure path, "Scales of War," the official party line seems to be that a party of level 30 characters who ascend to their Epic Destiny will fundamentally change the world.

For Example (Scales of War ending spoiler): After the PCs kill Tiamat, Bahamut takes them on a tour and shows them that they haven't just killed the Goddess, they've actually KILLED Greed, Envy, and Treachery. Misers give away their extra gold, People stop being jealous of their siblings, etc. It's kinda weird.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

But you could totally go surfing so long as a tentacled shark didn't harsh on your waves!

My favorite thing about Mind Lords of the Last Sea was the part about what happens when the characters see their first rain storm. They ended up codifying that an abundance of fresh, cool, water gently falling from the sky would mesmerize them and they would just stand their staring at and needed to make a save to move along. And since if you're mostly naked, like Dark Sun characters tend to be, and stand out in the rain for long enough you'll catch a cold so they then made up rules for having a cold.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

Dark Sun is very much a one generation campaign world. Your PCs at the end of the campaign don't retire and open a bar someplace and then fifteen years later in another village a few hundred miles away you start a new campaign set in the same universe that the first PCs adventured around in (for one thing the world is tiny). The fact that there were PCs before changes Dark Sun too much for it to continue being Dark Sun.

If you want to run a second game in Dark Sun, especially if the first group of characters made it out of Heroic tier, let alone into Epic, you'll basically need to rewind everything to the starting conditions again.

Basically imagine it like Dragonlance if Dragonlance didn't suck and PCs were the actual important people instead of their crappy Expanded Universe knock-offs. The party gets to decide what happens to the world instead of going on a sightseeing tour through other people's accomplishments and NPCs.
Okay, this I can get behind. It sounds so much better if I think of it along the same lines as Eberron where the intention is to give a setting and everything afterwards is up to the group.

I was under the impression that it was one of those Forgotten Realms-style metaplot run monstrosities. The novels and the fact that I've only seen it played like that didn't help that misconception.

Muls still bug the hell out of me, though

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Muls still bug the hell out of me, though

Why? They fit the setting perfectly, origin and all.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Why? They fit the setting perfectly, origin and all.

Eh, just a personal peeve.

They take a trope from the Half Orcs that I've never been particularly fond of and make it several times worse.

Well, at least they're not fetishized.

yet

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Eh, just a personal peeve.

They take a trope from the Half Orcs that I've never been particularly fond of and make it several times worse.

Well, at least they're not fetishized.

As far as I know muls predated half-orcs by quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

As far as I know muls predated half-orcs by quite a bit.
Huh?

Older than 1st edition?

• Locked thread