Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

God I've got a hole box of fuses upstairs then! :haw:

The jokes write themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
So first ride of the year and have good news to report on the vibrating handle issue. Things are vastly improved now that everything is dialed in. On my ride home though I noticed that my tail light only lights on braking. Its not lit up as a running light. Being that its dark and living in an apartment I'll have to look closer in the morning but I was thinking perhaps someone here would know where best to start looking. Its an 86 Katana. I don't think its a double bulb setup but I haven't had need to change the bulb since owning it so I am not sure. Fuses maybe but I would have thought the tail light to be on a single fuse; so either working or not working. Any thoughts oh wise goons?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

The jokes write themselves.

:smug:

Shipwrek, it's probably just a single burned out filament in a dual filament bulb. Replace and ride :)

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
If I were to update my clutch (which I've felt slipping a little), can I get away with the friction plates andthe springs, or do I need to add the clutch plates to that list as well?

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
so is it bad that I just let my registration expire instead of paying the smaller fee that says I won't ride it? I finally stopped being lazy and got it running right so I can sell it, but it's been expired for like 6 months. Is it enough of a pain to re-register that people will avoid it?

edit: uh, should probably mention that I'm in California.

Watommi fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 20, 2010

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So it was finally nice enough and I had time to work on the bike a little bit today. It looks like my battery is toast, and either the starter relay or starter motor is on it's way out. Every now and then I'll hear the relay click and the starter will turn the motor over. Most of the time I'll just hear a click from the relay and nothing. (Using a car battery obviously)

The service manual said to then hook power straight up to the starter itself to see if it's the relay or the motor, which I was about to do when I noticed a bit of gas leaking. Thank god I noticed the smell and checked, I don't want to burn my bike down!

I started pulling off the fairings to figure out where the leak was coming from, I pulled off the vacuum line from the petcock and gas starts pouring out of it. Quite a bit, actually. Old bikes can be such a pain in the rear end :(

Requesting an explanation of how a vacuum operated petcock works.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 21, 2010

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Watommi posted:

so is it bad that I just let my registration expire instead of paying the smaller fee that says I won't ride it? I finally stopped being lazy and got it running right so I can sell it, but it's been expired for like 6 months. Is it enough of a pain to re-register that people will avoid it?

Buying a vehicle without current registration isn't too big a pain in the rear end unless it's been expired a long time. It may make it harder to sell though. As a buyer I'd assume the seller doesn't care about the bike and proll'y hasn't treated it well. From a confidence perspective, it's part of the difference between buying a bike and a basket case.

That may not be your situation, mind you, just the impression I've always had of expired title sales.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Watommi posted:

Getting it registered is pretty painless, when I did mine I just told the lady at the DMV I wanted to register this bike under my name, gave her the title, got charged $200 and that was that. They will be liable for any fees and penalties though, so that might influence how much someone wants to pay.

Also, it is illegal to park something that is not registered on public streets in California.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Requesting an explanation of how a vacuum operated petcock works.

A valve open when it gets sucked on, end of explanation.

It might be that varnish and crud has jammed it open, but more likely it's just broken and you need a new petcock. They can be a bit expensive, but there's nothing like the feeling of turning a new one.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Or just get a petcock repair kit. They are usually less than twenty bucks and come with a replacement diaphragm, rubber bits, and o-rings. Just note how everthing comes apart and pay attention to where the slot faces. I buy mine from http://www.z1enterprises.com

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Does anyone have a guide to help me paint my gas tank+rear seat cowlings? I tried and it didn't work out and I'm getting different guides from google searches.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I should probably write that up sometime. Most of the trick is your prep work, and keeping the stuff clean as you work. And a lot of the process is boring drudge work.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Near as I can tell, there are three rules to good painting.

1. Paint is 90% prep work. If your sanding, cleaning and priming aren't up to snuff, the final finish will not come out nicely. Imperfections are amplified by paint, so the better your base, the better the finish.
2. Go lightly. You could save time by doing it in one heavy coat, but then runs and drips are what you get. It's far easier to put many, light coats then having to strip and repaint. Hell, when I was doing my frame, I ended with eight coats of primer on it before I was satisfied.
3. Take your time. Obey your drying and recoat times, lest terrible things happen.

And pick up a piece of metal to practice on. Hell, something like a shovel would work, just work until you can get a good finish on it, than try the real thing.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah my dad and I rushed it. My tank and cowling paid the price :( It's not messed up or anything but we're going to have to sand it and start over.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chairon posted:

2. Go lightly. You could save time by doing it in one heavy coat, but then runs and drips are what you get. It's far easier to put many, light coats then having to strip and repaint. Hell, when I was doing my frame, I ended with eight coats of primer on it before I was satisfied.
Not as important for base coat, but clear coat NEEDS to go on wet.

Adjust your gun and do test sprays on a piece of draped paper. Touch the trigger once, and you should get a very even cigar shape that fades consistently with no speckling. When painting, get a light and shine it at the tank (cowling), and view from an angle--this way you can see exactly where you're painting and how wet you're spraying.

Prep work is pretty much the whole job. Spray on different colors of primer so you can see high and low areas while sanding. You can spray a very light layer on top to especially see areas that are too high and low. Start out with a heavier grit sandpaper, and work up to the paint spec.

I can't stress this enough: use a paint system and stick to it. It doesn't really matter what it is, but manufacturers spend millions of dollars on research and development of this stuff, it's meant to work with the products it was designed to work with. Using PPG Deltron basecoat? Use PPG Deltron clear, catalyst, and reducer as well. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Make sure you wear gloves before each coat, and clean it down with paint prep. A single fingerprint can gently caress with the paint.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 22, 2010

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
What do you mean by clear coat needs to go on wet? The only problem we had was the clear coat. We put it on a bit thick in some spots and it ran so we let it dry then sanded it down again and repainted. Problem is why didn't fully dry it or something and the paint bubbled up and cracked in a few areas.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whiteboy posted:

What do you mean by clear coat needs to go on wet? The only problem we had was the clear coat. We put it on a bit thick in some spots and it ran so we let it dry then sanded it down again and repainted. Problem is why didn't fully dry it or something and the paint bubbled up and cracked in a few areas.
It needs to go on wet (meaning relatively thick application) otherwise you get orange peel, or roughness. If you're not seeing either of these, then you're probably spraying it fine.

If the paint is bubbling up, it generally means you've contaminated the surface somehow. Those cracks you're talking about (if I'm assuming correctly about what you mean) is a sign of the paint lifting, which is due to lack of adhesion. Always wear gloves and lightly degrease the surface before every coat. Also, like I said, make sure all your products are designed to work with each other.

If you get runs, you don't necessarily have to start over. If otherwise the paint is applied correctly, after drying you can usually wet sand clear with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper and rub it out with polishing compound. If you break through the clear coat you'll have to start over though--careful around the edges!

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 22, 2010

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah we actually did wetsand it to smooth it down but we don't have a polisher to make it nice and smooth. After sanding it down with the fine grit sandpaper we tried to do another clear coat. That's how we got the peeling and such. This whole thing is a terrific learning experience, but one stressful enough to make me want to never do it again.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
What about when you paint a bike matte? Are there matte clearcoats?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Looking at getting some new sport touring tires for the F2, 120/60/17 front 160/60/17 rear, I mainly do commuting riding, so a tire with good life is fairly important, as is general all purpose use, I ride in the rain occasionally. :)

I am thinking of the Michelin Pilot Road 2
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/10985/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Road-2-Front-Tire.aspx

Or possibly the Pirelli Sport Angels

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/23638/ITEM/Pirelli-Angel-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx

Any ideas on what would be best? All tires that i'm looking at seem to be roughly the same price, and i'm guessing it doesn't really matter too much since they're all great tires these days.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Go the Pilots.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've got Pilot Road 2 (dual compound) on my Pegaso. Compared to the old squared off Pirelli Diablos that came off, it's night and day. The bike leans in really easy but feels really linear throughout the lean angle. Masses of grip, and in a wet cold emergency stop, the tires didn't lock up at all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

infraboy posted:

Looking at getting some new sport touring tires for the F2, 120/60/17 front 160/60/17 rear, I mainly do commuting riding, so a tire with good life is fairly important, as is general all purpose use, I ride in the rain occasionally. :)

I am thinking of the Michelin Pilot Road 2
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/10985/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Road-2-Front-Tire.aspx

Or possibly the Pirelli Sport Angels

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/23638/ITEM/Pirelli-Angel-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx

Any ideas on what would be best? All tires that i'm looking at seem to be roughly the same price, and i'm guessing it doesn't really matter too much since they're all great tires these days.

Can't go wrong with either, go for what's best pricewise.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ari.gato posted:

What about when you paint a bike matte? Are there matte clearcoats?
They make matte clearcoats, and they make flattening agents for clearcoats. Thing is, if you're gonna paint it matte, you might as well go with a single stage.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Dolphin posted:

They make matte clearcoats, and they make flattening agents for clearcoats. Thing is, if you're gonna paint it matte, you might as well go with a single stage.

I'm retarded. What does "a single stage" mean?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Color and Gloss are in one coat, as opposed to a flat base + a glossy clearcoat.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
If you're going with flat black, spray on bedliner is even easier. Clean -> Sand -> Clean -> 1st coat -> 2nd coat. As a bonus, the stuff is super rugged and paint repair consists of a quick spray.

http://faq.ninja250.org/index.php?title=Why_truck_bedliner_is_the_best_paint_for_your_bike&redirect=no&printable=yes&printable=yes

To all their own though.

edit: I was able to do all of my fairings and my tank in one day, it looks great. Admittedly I need to touch up a few bits, but it's short work nonetheless.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

ari.gato posted:

I'm retarded. What does "a single stage" mean?

Over simplified it means all-in-one paint. Removes the need for base coat/clear coat. For the most straight forward simple paint I have done my last two bikes with tremclad metal/rust matte paint. Cheap, tough as nails and available everywhere. Still have to do several light coats and all the prep work! Those cannot be skipped!

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

shipwrek posted:

Over simplified it means all-in-one paint. Removes the need for base coat/clear coat. For the most straight forward simple paint I have done my last two bikes with tremclad metal/rust matte paint. Cheap, tough as nails and available everywhere. Still have to do several light coats and all the prep work! Those cannot be skipped!

Excellent. Thanks for the info and nice job on your tank.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Question: is Rustoleum ok to use? I'm balls deep in a gas tank patch job for a 1980 Honda CB 650 and all I need to do is match the almost-glossy black that covers the rest of the bike.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

MrKatharsis posted:

Question: is Rustoleum ok to use? I'm balls deep in a gas tank patch job for a 1980 Honda CB 650 and all I need to do is match the almost-glossy black that covers the rest of the bike.

I have used Rustoleum a couple times and didn't care for it as much mostly because I find it doesn't stand up to getting gas spilled on it as well as the Tremclad. Doesn't melt off or anything but etches a little.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Dubs posted:

installing carb... chat thread

Actually questions,

2. ... Questions thread.

Q2,
I pulled my fairings today and found some evidence of fuel in my airbox.
What causes this to suddenly appear after nearly 2 years of use? I checked it not long ago.

Somebody loving with the throttle and flooding it while parked? Flooded start? Backfire on start? crazy lean carb settings all of a sudden? petcock stuck open?

edit: like this.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 23, 2010

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

How do people go about doing work on your bikes when you don't have a garage? For example I live in a townhouse in inner city Sydney, I park on the street and do not have rear lane access to my backyard. If I want to get the bike into the backyard I'd have to attempt to get it through the front gate, up the stairs (only one or two) to the front door, then wheel it through the house to the backyard. Do I just find a friend who has space I could use (none come to mind as they all live in the inner city too) or just go to a local park and set up shop in the carpark, or just pay someone else to do it?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Aargh posted:

How do people go about doing work on your bikes when you don't have a garage? For example I live in a townhouse in inner city Sydney, I park on the street and do not have rear lane access to my backyard. If I want to get the bike into the backyard I'd have to attempt to get it through the front gate, up the stairs (only one or two) to the front door, then wheel it through the house to the backyard. Do I just find a friend who has space I could use (none come to mind as they all live in the inner city too) or just go to a local park and set up shop in the carpark, or just pay someone else to do it?

How big is your living room? When I bought the SV I was stuck in an apartment that didn't allow people to work on cars in the lot. I put down some cardboard and wheeled the bike inside.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Aargh posted:

minor stuff like chain lubing, washing, installing bits like ram mounts or whatever I do in the street, otherwise I put it in the shop for anything else.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Aargh posted:

I work at a university and work on my bike in the carpark on the weekends. No one is around and I doubt anyone would care if they were. Obviously you are going to have some limitations working on it in a space that you do not control. However, simple stuff like oil change, chain lube, etc is easy enough. Find a parking lot that is only used m-f and set up shop for a few hours on a sunday morning when no one is out and about.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dubs posted:

Q2,
I pulled my fairings today and found some evidence of fuel in my airbox.
What causes this to suddenly appear after nearly 2 years of use? I checked it not long ago.

Somebody loving with the throttle and flooding it while parked? Flooded start? Backfire on start? crazy lean carb settings all of a sudden? petcock stuck open?

edit: like this.

Fuel spills running down the tank and hitting the filter?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ohwandernearer posted:

I work at a university and work on my bike in the carpark on the weekends. No one is around and I doubt anyone would care if they were. Obviously you are going to have some limitations working on it in a space that you do not control. However, simple stuff like oil change, chain lube, etc is easy enough. Find a parking lot that is only used m-f and set up shop for a few hours on a sunday morning when no one is out and about.

My Uni had a policy of no working on anything that involved fluids. So changing brake pads was ok, but changing oil wasn't. The guys were pretty nice about it though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Aargh posted:

I just do it and apologize later, or find a friend. (sklnd)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Aargh posted:

My first apt in L.A. didn't have off street parking so I had to work on the street. It's a bit frustrating at first, but pretty soon you build yourself a mobile toolkit and get pretty good at it. The more complex stuff can be a bit more time consuming, but like everyone else said, the basics: brakes, chain lube/clean, etc isn't a problem. For the bigger jobs, I'd follow Z3n's advice. Find a M-F parking lot and setup shop for the afternoon. It's even more fun when you have friends who ride so you can make a day of it.