Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yeah, Half Orcs have been around since 1E; they were swept under the rug for most of 2E.

On the subject of Muls, it's funny that of the two Mul main characters in The Prism Pentad, one of them is born of a romantic relationship between a human woman and a dwarf man. So just because forced breeding is the origin for most Muls, it doesn't have to be the origin for all Muls. Additionally, I think forced breeding isn't as cringe inducing as rape, and it brings with it a neat character motivation: "I want to find my parents."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I was not aware that half-orc was a standard race for 1E. I thought that was 3E invention.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Okay, this I can get behind. It sounds so much better if I think of it along the same lines as Eberron where the intention is to give a setting and everything afterwards is up to the group.

I was under the impression that it was one of those Forgotten Realms-style metaplot run monstrosities. The novels and the fact that I've only seen it played like that didn't help that misconception.

Muls still bug the hell out of me, though
It's been done both ways (unfortunately), but it sounds like the 4th Edition version is going to stick pretty closely to the Eberron model of worldbuilding.

Also: Don't read D&D novels. Your life will be better in every way if you spend your time reading anything else.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, Half Orcs have been around since 1E; they were swept under the rug for most of 2E.

On the subject of Muls, it's funny that of the two Mul main characters in The Prism Pentad, one of them is born of a romantic relationship between a human woman and a dwarf man. So just because forced breeding is the origin for most Muls, it doesn't have to be the origin for all Muls. Additionally, I think forced breeding isn't as cringe inducing as rape, and it brings with it a neat character motivation: "I want to find my parent."

Is the whole "The mother almost never survives past delivery" bit just some fanon thing?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PeterWeller posted:

On the subject of Muls, it's funny that of the two Mul main characters in The Prism Pentad, one of them is born of a romantic relationship between a human woman and a dwarf man. So just because forced breeding is the origin for most Muls, it doesn't have to be the origin for all Muls. Additionally, I think forced breeding isn't as cringe inducing as rape, and it brings with it a neat character motivation: "I want to find my parents."

Forced breeding IS rape

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Drox posted:

Forced breeding IS rape

Its like rape but for both people involved.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

It's not in either box sets' description of the Mul. In fact, the revised box notes that Muls have existed as long as Dwarfs and Humans have intermingled, implying that their origin is much more like that of Half Elves than Half Orcs.

On the other hand, Neeva was the biggest bad rear end of that series, and her uterus was probably one of the few sources of iron left on Athas.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Hm, I'm getting the feeling I've been mislead by some 3E fancruft on the pregnancy part at least.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Drox posted:

Forced breeding IS rape

You're right. It was silly of me to say that.

Edit: As for mom's survivability. I think the canon line is it's very difficult on the mother. Which, of course, most creepy nerds take to mean, "mom dies in a splatter of blood and afterbirth."

Double edit: Also, it's ironic that people dwell on the rape part of the Half Orc origin and ignore that arguably D&D's most famous Half Elf, Tanis from Dragonlance, is the child of rape.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 25, 2010

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I'm beginning to think much of my initial dislike of Dark Sun can pretty much be blamed on athas.org.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
There is plenty of crazy poo poo going on, I wouldnt say mul breeding is the worst of it. Slavery in every form, cannibalism, genocide.

Cheapness of life is the theme. Life has little value, no rights and no respect on Athas. Tanis's origin in Dragonlance was a source of shame and something that made him different from the rest of the setting. In Dark Sun no one would care.

That's the wasteland for you.

PeterWeller posted:

On the other hand, Neeva was the biggest bad rear end of that series, and her uterus was probably one of the few sources of iron left on Athas.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

According to a single source I am aware of in 2E (the second Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium appendix), human mothers bearing a mul have a 40% chance of surviving pregnancy and, if they do so, a 40% chance of surviving the birth.

This is really dumb gygaxian naturalism that I am comfortable assuring you that 4E will ignore, and simply mention--if anything--that it's very difficult and often lethal for a human mother to bring a mul to term, without making it explicitly an 84% mortality rate.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

So I'm finally reading through the Veiled Alliance for the first time ever, and holy crap is full of useful information. I could give two shits about the Alliance itself, but the write-ups for the city states are great. I wish I had known this a decade ago! :psyduck:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PeterWeller posted:

Double edit: Also, it's ironic that people dwell on the rape part of the Half Orc origin and ignore that arguably D&D's most famous Half Elf, Tanis from Dragonlance, is the child of rape.

B... but I thought all Half-Elves were the product of a beautiful elf maiden finally realizing that human men like me were much more brilliant and handsome...

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Zombies' Downfall posted:

B... but I thought all Half-Elves were the product of a beautiful elf maiden finally realizing that human men like me were much more brilliant and handsome...

Elf-Human love is like Harold and Maude

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I always figured it was more likely that elf males saw human females as libertine amazons because elves live so long and are so damned boring that they probably have sex like once every decade or some poo poo, so obviously any woman who wants sex as often as once a month or even once a week is a total nymphomaniac.

meanwhile an elf guy manages to talk a human woman into bed and she leaves him shortly thereafter because he won't stop quoting beautiful elven poetry to her and it's just fruity gibberish as far as she can tell and it's really goddamn annoying

eleven years down the road-

human: "uhhh yes, your father was, uhh, a brave warrior and we were, ahem, very much in love. he was, um, killed by a terrible dragon but the dragon died from its wounds"

halfelf: :swoon: I WANNA BE AN ADVENTURER LIKE DAD

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Half-elves breed true. Their resemblance to both humans and elves is purely coincidental.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Male Man posted:

Half-elves breed true. Their resemblance to both humans and elves is purely coincidental.

They kind of imply this about half-orcs in 4E too, which weirded me out. Like being "first-generation" makes you anomalous enough for it to be an entire background concept unto itself, and most half-orcs are the children of two half-orc parents or something.

EDIT: None of which even begins to approach the question of why Half-Elf and Half-Orc racial bonuses in 4E have respectively absolutely nothing and very little to do with their parentage. Does it make me a Gygaxian Naturalist to wonder why Half-Elves are more resilient to illness and injury than either Humans or Elves? Hybrid vigor?

Baku fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 26, 2010

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
What book talks about cannibal halflings? The ones in the original boxed set are just curious normal halflings! I want tiny dudes with sharpened teeth leaping out of trees to eat you.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

What? The Wanderer's Journal, the first fluff book from the first boxed set, describes them as cannibals. Read the sections on the Forest Ridge and Raiding Tribes. The section on Urik mentions the halfling unit that Hamanu hires for terror actions against his enemies.

Also, the stat bonuses for Half Elves are supposed to reflect the resilience and force of personality the Half Elf in question develops as an outcast youth. Why Half Elves are all outcasts in their youths is just D&D being D&D.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

yeah honestly you'd think with humans being willing to hang out with elves and halflings and all kinds of crazy dudes they'd see half-elves and be like "wow slightly prettier humans with neato pointy ears, you can hang out in our clubhouse!!"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

yeah honestly you'd think with humans being willing to hang out with elves and halflings and all kinds of crazy dudes they'd see half-elves and be like "wow slightly prettier humans with neato pointy ears, you can hang out in our clubhouse!!"

Yeah the half-elf hatred is fairly nonsensical and obviously based on real world fear of the HALF-CASTE transplanted into a much less racist setting. Half-orcs being hated makes a lot more sense, at least if you're playing orcs as inevitably Chaotic Evil elemental savages.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I can see the ones staying in elf society getting the kid spock treatment, but that's about it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

yeah I mean half-elves are humanlike in physique but a little leaner and more graceful, with exotic features. basically some random human guy could run into a half-elf and think, "what a handsome foreigner!" but then notice his ears and say, "oh, silly me, he's a half-elf. what a handsome half-elf!"

there's literally no reason for any ordinary human to look down on half-elves except for profound and deep-seated racism, and even then the shared characteristics are pretty convincing. you'd have to be getting into some hardcore apartheid fear-of-miscegenation poo poo before humans would refuse to associate with half-elves

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PeterWeller posted:

What? The Wanderer's Journal, the first fluff book from the first boxed set, describes them as cannibals. Read the sections on the Forest Ridge and Raiding Tribes. The section on Urik mentions the halfling unit that Hamanu hires for terror actions against his enemies.
Oh, okay. I haven't opened the Wanderer's Journal yet--the Rulebook part of the set describes them as looking like wise and beautiful children who are concerned with inward spiritual connections or some such thing.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Aranan posted:

Oh, okay. I haven't opened the Wanderer's Journal yet--the Rulebook part of the set describes them as looking like wise and beautiful children who are concerned with inward spiritual connections or some such thing.

The feral tribes of halflings are cannibalistic, especially in/around the Ringing Mountains. Traveling halflings or ones you'd find in the city aren't going to be the same.

El Rodento
Feb 12, 2007

STUPID GOD DAMN SKELETON ARMY BASTARDS I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT THE-
In 4E half-elves don't default to hated outcasts. :eng101:

The Player's Handbook posted:

Ultimately, half-elves are survivors, able to adapt to almost any situation. They are generally well liked and admired by everyone, not just elves and humans. They are empathetic, better at putting themselves in others’ shoes than most.

edit: of course, this is Dark Sun we're talking about, sooo...

El Rodento fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 26, 2010

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

PeterWeller posted:

Also, the stat bonuses for Half Elves are supposed to reflect the resilience and force of personality the Half Elf in question develops as an outcast youth. Why Half Elves are all outcasts in their youths is just D&D being D&D.

Pretty much, it's not like there's a whole lot of species mixing in the real world (I mean, the definition of species is pretty much "population that doesn't breed with anything else"), and one of the best examples is a mule, which pretty much have superior characteristics to either parent.

Plus old-school 3e and before half-elves are boring as gently caress. "Wow, I can get the crappy benefits of elves and half of some of the good benefits? Sign me up!" is a sentence I have never heard uttered. Muls (and 4e crossbreeds) are at least interesting for their uniqueness.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Aranan posted:

They are, their cultures and traditions go back thousands of years. Halflings have a great respect for their own race and would never harm another of their kind.

Too bad that doesnt extend to any other race. The barbarians of the wastes are fair game. Literally.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Half-elves have a con bonus because they're full of hybrid vigor! :eng101:

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet
It really bothers me that the halflings are described as cannibals. They're clearly not!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In the sense of eating their own kind, no, they're explicitly not. But in the sense of being man-eaters, yes, they totally are. Don't fall into etymological fallacy!

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet

Squizzle posted:

In the sense of eating their own kind, no, they're explicitly not. But in the sense of being man-eaters, yes, they totally are. Don't fall into etymological fallacy!

We don't call tigers "cannibals", we call them "man-eaters." Dark Sun halflings are man-eaters.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Tigers are beasts. Halflings are thinking, society-forming, and have language--and are physically extremely humanlike besides. There's a usage distinction along those lines.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Angry Diplomat posted:

humans don't generally hang out with elves in dark sun though, they have their own society and even the non-nomadic ones mainly intermingle with humans to trade with/steal from them

Angry Diplomat posted:

yeah I mean half-elves are humanlike in physique but a little leaner and more graceful, with exotic features. basically some random human guy could run into a half-elf and think, "what a handsome foreigner!" but then notice his ears and say, "oh, silly me, he's a half-elf. what a handsome half-elf!"

there's literally no reason for any ordinary human to look down on half-elves except for profound and deep-seated racism, and even then the shared characteristics are pretty convincing. you'd have to be getting into some hardcore apartheid fear-of-miscegenation poo poo before humans would refuse to associate with half-elves

the only way I can make sense of this post is if I assume you have just never heard of real-world racism, goddamn

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

yeah dark sun is really its own thing, I was mostly complaining about goofy dms who think being a half-elf is a great reason for every npc ever to look down on a character

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the only way I can make sense of this post is if I assume you have just never heard of real-world racism, goddamn

real-world racism is usually predicated upon and triggered by visible characteristics such as skin color, though there are exceptions to this which range into intolerance of other cultures (its own beast entirely). there is a difference between a white guy looking at a black guy and getting nervous and a white guy looking at another white guy and then noticing that he has slightly pointy ears. racism is often bound up quite strongly in the fear of the "other" but if a hypothetical race has almost exactly the same characteristics as yours it is much easier to overcome that instinctive fear, assuming it occurs at all. this is especially true since half-elves are usually pretty good at blending in and working their way into peoples' good graces

also D&D's racism has very little to do with skin colour and everything to do with being significantly physically different, like being made of rocks or having a bull head or being an immortal scary angel man. it's especially illogical to think that half-elves, the most humanlike race other than humans, would be highly likely to draw scorn from humans given that humans are very often described as going everywhere and seeing everything and talking to everyone and generally being curious and ambitious to the point of recklessness. joe peasant isn't going to be afraid of half-elves, he's going to be afraid of orcs and minotaurs and goblins and loving harpies or something

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

Tigers are beasts. Halflings are thinking, society-forming, and have language--and are physically extremely humanlike besides. There's a usage distinction along those lines.

'Cannibals' is just plain incorrect, since they don't eat their own kind. 'Anthropophages' would do if you just didn't feel like using 'man-eaters,' but there's no getting around 'cannibals' being the wrong word. What is this 'etymological fallacy' and does it mean the same thing as 'using English correctly'?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

humans don't generally hang out with elves in dark sun though, they have their own society and even the non-nomadic ones mainly intermingle with humans to trade with/steal from them

This is it exactly. Dark Sun Half-Elves, are too human to be elves and thus can't be trusted by them, and way too elven to be trusted by humans so that's out.

They generally end up with their human parent though because humans are probably the most tolerent of the races on Athas. That's not saying much though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gomi posted:

'Cannibals' is just plain incorrect, since they don't eat their own kind. 'Anthropophages' would do if you just didn't feel like using 'man-eaters,' but there's no getting around 'cannibals' being the wrong word. What is this 'etymological fallacy' and does it mean the same thing as 'using English correctly'?

The etymological fallacy is the belief that historical meanings or etymologically-derived meanings have any bearing on what a word means (or, more bizarrely, "should" mean) in modern usage. People who claim that "decimate" can only mean "eliminate one part in ten of" instead of its modern usage, "wreak significant (or near-complete) destruction upon" are falling to the etymological fallacy.

The first page of Google results for etymological fallacy has a small handful of very informative links, but it looks like most of the rest are mostly religious studies content or paywalled journal articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

The etymological fallacy is the belief that historical meanings or etymologically-derived meanings have any bearing on what a word means (or, more bizarrely, "should" mean) in modern usage. People who claim that "decimate" can only mean "eliminate one part in ten of" instead of its modern usage, "wreak significant (or near-complete) destruction upon" are falling to the etymological fallacy.

The first page of Google results for etymological fallacy has a small handful of very informative links, but it looks like most of the rest are mostly religious studies content or paywalled journal articles.

The whole notion of that fallacy is in itself fallacious, since etymology is not an essential structure but rather one as protean as language itself is, and that is intimately and causally linked with meaning. New phonemes are invented and cannibalised from popular usages as often as those usages themselves are popularised.

'Cannibal' for 'creature that eats people', or even 'thinking creature that eats people', is by no means a common or even very popular usage. To claim otherwise wouldn't be descriptivist, it'd be pigheaded.

• Locked thread