Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
The more I listen to miaou, the more I realize they feel like a huge mashup of different post-rock or post-rockish bands.

Without really pointing at particular songs, I've listened to some that sounded a lot like The Six Parts Seven, some that sounded like Mono, some like The Album Leaf (his instrumental songs), some like My Bloody Valentine... And pretty much all of Make These Things Alright sounds like Air.

That said, I actually much prefer Happiness to their other albums. All Around Us is good but the songs don't feel like they stand out as much, and Make These Thing Alright is really too ambient too my liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I have no one to go see Mono with and I don't want to go on my own :(

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I have people to go see mono with, but no money :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Surely between us we can solve both problems!

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
I have tons of money and loads of friends but I dont like mono that much

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.
I have a few friends and some money but I am still deaf from the last time I saw Mono.

Market Fresh
Feb 13, 2010

SlowlyChoking posted:

I have a few friends and some money but I am still deaf from the last time I saw Mono.

Probably well worth it, right? I'd kill to see them live..

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
I have friends, I have money, but Mono never loving come to Ireland. Not even once before I actually found out about them so I could live in regret for the rest of my life (GY!BE :argh:)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
"no one listens to post rock but losers that have no friends."

drat, youtube commenters, that poo poo's coldblooded.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

"no one listens to post rock but losers that have no friends."

drat, youtube commenters, that poo poo's coldblooded.

Reminds me of when I went to see 65dos, and Gay For Jonny Depp were supporting.

"Raise your hands if you're single"
*most people raise their hands*
"Just what I expected, it is a post-rock gig afterall"

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Reminds me of when I went to see 65dos, and Gay For Jonny Depp were supporting.

"Raise your hands if you're single"
*most people raise their hands*
"Just what I expected, it is a post-rock gig afterall"

Club Academy? I was there :D

Seriously dawg you and I should go to some gigs. In fact, my own band is playing in Preston soon (The Aircrash Bureau), you should come down.

We're like Mogwai and early Biffy Clyro and EITS and you know all the regular poo poo. It's really hard to not be formulaic. :(

Andre Weed 420
Feb 19, 2007

by angerbot
Anyone live in Memphis want to go see Caspian in Nashville? I neeed a ride ;)

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

thehustler posted:

Club Academy? I was there :D

Seriously dawg you and I should go to some gigs. In fact, my own band is playing in Preston soon (The Aircrash Bureau), you should come down.

We're like Mogwai and early Biffy Clyro and EITS and you know all the regular poo poo. It's really hard to not be formulaic. :(

I live in Bristol now dude :( heading home this weekend to see Errors + Worriedaboutsatan in Lancaster though!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I live in Bristol now dude :( heading home this weekend to see Errors + Worriedaboutsatan in Lancaster though!

Was going to go to that but I can't, I'm paintballing :(

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Paintballing in the evening?
That sucks, I'm shooting there too.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I saw Mono, they were amazing, and anyone who doesnt like them is a dirty hippie communist pedophile.

Also, I took my girlfriend because all my friends like Ke$ha. Did the same with EITS on Valentines Day (!). And she loved it. And I didnt look like a loner. So, easy solution for you goons that have girlfriends.

Both of you.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone heard the new Efterklang? Pitchfork reviewed it today with like a 5.9 or something. I'm usually the first to stick up for Pitchfork, but the album is actually quite good.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Are there any other bands out there like Toe, te' or Mouse on the Keys? Other than Miaou that is, just checked them out and they rule

LazerLemurz
Aug 11, 2009

Iraff posted:

Anyone heard the new Efterklang? Pitchfork reviewed it today with like a 5.9 or something. I'm usually the first to stick up for Pitchfork, but the album is actually quite good.

They gave their new CD a 5.9?! That's outrageous! I love that album, though their past works are better. -1 to Pitchfork.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

LazerLemurz posted:

They gave their new CD a 5.9?! That's outrageous! I love that album, though their past works are better. -1 to Pitchfork.

Even a 5.9 on Pitchfork's scale is probably fine, so don't worry about that. I mean, you pretty much have to be Animal Collective for Pitchfork to give a poo poo about you these days.

Also, I highly doubt my girlfriend would approve of EITS as a Valentine's Day date, much to my chagrin.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
EITS isn't really romantic anyway since bros are going 'WOOOOOOOOOO' during every quiet part.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Paintballing in the evening?
That sucks, I'm shooting there too.

No, over the weekend but I was away for all of it, it was down South.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

dk2m posted:

Are there any other bands out there like Toe, te' or Mouse on the Keys? Other than Miaou that is, just checked them out and they rule

There's another Japanese band named Euphoria that you might like. I'm not too familiar with them but I believe the following track comes from their album "Silence in Everywhere" so if you like it then I guess you could check out that album first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDVRJmv3FZg

As well, another Japanese band called Lite that you might be interested in. I'd say they're closer to Toe or Te' than Miaou (haven't heard Mouse on the Keys so I can't judge that) but more on the technical side of things. Their latest full-length, Phantasia, is great and I highly recommend it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc1yD9H7Rb8

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 3, 2010

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

homewrecker posted:

There's another Japanese band named Euphoria that you might like. I'm not too familiar with them but I believe the following track comes from their album "Silence in Everywhere" so if you like it then I guess you could check out that album first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDVRJmv3FZg

You can download their latest album, "Fluidify", from their official site (free):
http://www.euphoria-sound.com/index.html

Only listened to the first couple of tracks, but it's pretty good so far

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well, finally relented and bought a Mono ticket plus a night in a hotel near the venue, so I'm committed to going on my own.

If anyone here sees this and is going, then please make yourself known and we'll have a party!

Edit: Brudenell Social Club, Leeds.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Just bought my ticket to go see A Silver Mt Zion in Dublin on the 18th! I'm loving pumped for this show, I can't wait to hear the new material live.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

65daysofstatic posted:

Truth is, we might never make a record as good as Street Hassle by Lou Reed. But, we did some maths, and worked out that the next best thing would be to put out our next album on Hassle Records. They said yes. That was brave of theme. Have a look: HASSLE RECORDS.

This record, as we have already told you, is gonna be called ‘We Were Exploding Anyway’.

It’s what happened when we went up the mountain, and never came down again.

Here’s the release dates:

- UK and Europe will be April 26th.
- Japan will be April 28th.
- Rest of the world TBC. (but it’s coming your way, for sure)

There’s gonna be a lot more information about this over the next few weeks, as you’d expect. Pre-orders, bundles, news about the deluxe first edition (just wait till you see the artwork…)

Can't loving wait :neckbeard:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Rhgr posted:

Can't loving wait :neckbeard:

Didn't realise you were a goon. Haven't seen you around atpr for a while!

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Didn't realise you were a goon. Haven't seen you around atpr for a while!

Who are you? :O

And yes, I just got tired of every thread about a band turning into either A) Dustin trolling B) I BET UR IN THE BAND LOL or C) Someone tries to be witty and the thread turns into a circlejerk :(

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rhgr posted:

Who are you? :O

And yes, I just got tired of every thread about a band turning into either A) Dustin trolling B) I BET UR IN THE BAND LOL or C) Someone tries to be witty and the thread turns into a circlejerk :(

Oh hey. :3

I haven't been there for a while either. Or for very long, for that matter.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Jan posted:

Oh hey. :3

I haven't been there for a while either. Or for very long, for that matter.

Sigh, now I feel really bad for not knowing who the two of you are! I didn't really think ATPR and SA shared the same demographic at all :iiam:

Twoiism fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 4, 2010

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Rhgr posted:

Sigh, now I feel really bad for not knowing who the two of you are! I didn't really think ATPR and SA shared the same demographic at all :iiam:

Well like I said, I didn't post for long. Mostly before I registered on SA, and while I was working boring night shifts on my summer co-op. I was making a thousand paper cranes out of used company stationary and posted about that once or twice, although I eventually stopped at a hundred.

On ATPR I was, surprisingly enough, Jan. I had this for an avatar:

and my posts mostly consisted of one liners punctuated with :3, which annoyed Dustbindk. Therefore I like to think I contributed.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Jan posted:

and my posts mostly consisted of one liners punctuated with :3, which annoyed Dustbindk. Therefore I like to think I contributed.

I remember you now! And yes, anything that pissed him off was contributing :patriot:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
I got into post-rock really hard in 2004 or so, and GY!BE is still one of my all-time favorite bands. Actually, I list that first movement of Storm as my favorite song ever. It was very influential the very first time I heard it (I would have been... 15 at the time, wow). Even though I'd had my mind blown by a few classic albums before, I'd never heard anything quite so formless and wonderful. I think it is the most important "holy poo poo" moment in my music listening experience and shaped a lot of what I look for in music.

But I fell out of post-rock mostly after 2006 or so. I still pick up on things I feel I missed (I only just listened to Set Fire to Flames' Sign Reigns Rebuilder maybe 6 months ago, which I'd always meant to try) and I keep up with Sigur Ros mostly. But Mogwai got irritating and Explosions In The Sky never sounded quite as incredible as they did on their first 3 albums, and I was busy getting distracted by all sorts of other new and old music, so I haven't heard any new post rock in a long time.

I've always assumed everything since then by newer bands has been really derivative, with younger bands coming up and just droning about or trying to play Explosions with more expectancy than heart. I suppose by "expectancy" I mean there's a lot of pretense, with a newer post-rock band's name being the presumptuous This Will Destroy You as opposed to the descriptive Explosions in the Sky, who famously had their first demos sent to a record label by a friend with a note saying "this totally loving destroys".

I think post-rock was more charming before it knew how powerful everyone thought it was. Not because I get less indie-cred for listening to it, but because it felt more innocent and precious. It's hard to give credit to bands who hopped on later.

So I guess I've come to this thread hoping for a few big suggestions. Are the recent Do Make Say Think albums worth checking out? Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn is one of my favorite albums ever still, did they keep that up? Have Mogwai gotten better since stumbling a bit after Mr. Beast?

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 4, 2010

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

androo posted:

So I guess I've come to this thread hoping for a few big suggestions. Are the recent Do Make Say Think albums worth checking out? Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn is one of my favorite albums ever still, did they keep that up? Have Mogwai gotten better since stumbling a bit after Mr. Beast?

'You, You're A History In Rust' is enjoyable, quite folky in places too, I really like it but I didn't care much for 'Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead' (the only other album of their's I have) so make of that what you will.

I think the new Mogwai is up their with their very best. The first listen through I was really disappointed, but after a few plays through it may now be my favourite. 'Thank You Space Expert' is just gorgeous and I can't get enough of the part where the piano comes in around the 4:00 minute mark of 'I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead' and the song swells.

Agree with you about how derivative a lot of post rock bands are. My favourites are usually bands who are a little different like 65dos (for their use of glitchy samples) and Red Sparowes (well, their more wall-of-sound things like 'Alone and Unaware...')

shmee fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 4, 2010

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

androo posted:

Do Make Say Think have added vocals to a few songs, but are still consistent as hell. Mogwai have only released one album since Mr. Beast, called The Hawk is Howling. Personally I loved it, but opinions seem to be varied.

Good Post Rock albums since 2006 in no particular order.

Enjoy Eternal Bliss by Yndi Halda. Think happy GY!BE, utterly mindblowing

JXIII by Johnnytwentythree. I am loving horrible at writing descriptions, but to me, this is the quiet loud of EITS meets the epicness of Godspeed.

Everything ever released by Caspian. If you're disappointed with Mogwai in recent years, you'll love these guys.

Easily Misunderstood by The Samuel Jackson Five. Happy, upbeat, fun, jazzy. Forget being one of the best post rock albums of the past decade, this is one of the best albums ever, period.

You'll probably like The Evpatoria Report and The Pirate Ship Quintet also, and I'm sure other nice people will throw in stuff you've missed :3:

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Rhgr posted:

:ssh:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Ah, thanks so much for the quick responses. I'll definitely give those a listen soon.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Rhgr posted:

Ozstrike, sup.

Just got a ticket for Mono in London. ASMZ are playing the next night in Bristol. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.
Tomorrow I'm getting tickets for Mono in Milwaukee. Too bad it's not until the end of May which sucks. Anyone else going?