Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Bloody hell, is 883 out scanlated anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I predict that Ippo's mother will jump into the ring and reveal herself as a legendary female luchadore. She will easily dispatch Woli and then train Ippo from scratch in the art of mexican wrestling. In this new world Ippo will discover a new love interest... err, rival I mean, in Mashiba's long lost brother who looks exactly like him.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

tazman posted:

Bloody hell, is 883 out scanlated anywhere?
Nope.

((Just bookmark that page and look back on occasion. When you're able to use the image as a link, that means the new chapter is up :v:))

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

page not found posted:

Nope.

((Just bookmark that page and look back on occasion. When you're able to use the image as a link, that means the new chapter is up :v:))

I got a trojan warning from one of the banners on that thread. Fairly warned be thee says I.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

apekillape posted:

I got a trojan warning from one of the banners on that thread. Fairly warned be thee says I.
:psyduck: I've used the site for over a year with no issues.

For getting the raw off of a better upload site (ie: Mediafire), head to westbound.proboards.com and hit up their thread.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

page not found posted:

:psyduck: I've used the site for over a year with no issues.

For getting the raw off of a better upload site (ie: Mediafire), head to westbound.proboards.com and hit up their thread.

It's most likely nothing to do with the site itself, they just sign up for an advertising service and that company handles rotating the banners. Iframe and Javascript exploits are brain-dead simple to throw into that kind of system though, and no one reports them for weeks if at all because, well, people are lazy.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Soth posted:

http://www.strimoo.com/video/14179682/Ken-Shamrock-Vs-Kazuyuki-Fujita-Pride-10-Veoh.html

Ippo is Kazuyuki Fujita, Woli is Ken Shamrock.

CALLING IT NOW.

So that means Martinez is Overeem or Wanderlei? :smith:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I finished Slam Dunk, I didn't really enjoy it as much as you guys. Since I read Bakuman I'm kind of an expert on how Jump works, so it's pretty clear in the series where the editor was like, "You're canceled." My main problem was with the pacing of everything. The games were pretty fun in the beginning, but soon it seemed like it would take 20 chapters to run 2 minutes off the clock. I'm glad comics these days don't use terrible pacing like that

:smith:

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Sir Lucius posted:

Since I read Bakuman I'm kind of an expert on how Jump works, so it's pretty clear in the series where the editor was like, "You're canceled."

Slam Dunk has been repeatedly voted the best manga of all time, to this very day. He could have run it longer than Berserk if he wanted to.

What the hell are you talking about?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I was kind of joking around, but it seemed like the series was planned out longer than it ran. Maybe it wasn't cut, but the author definitely ended it early.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
edit: beaten. Anyways: how the gently caress did he end it early when the story is about 2 rookies giving the guys about to graduate a chance at finally reaching their baketball dreams? Just because they didn't win some title doesn't mean they didn't reach their goal.

Sir Lucius posted:

I finished Slam Dunk, I didn't really enjoy it as much as you guys. Since I read Bakuman I'm kind of an expert on how Jump works, so it's pretty clear in the series where the editor was like, "You're canceled." My main problem was with the pacing of everything. The games were pretty fun in the beginning, but soon it seemed like it would take 20 chapters to run 2 minutes off the clock. I'm glad comics these days don't use terrible pacing like that

:smith:

I don't think Slan dunk was cancelled by the editor. That poo poo sold like crazy. Even now the deluxe editions ell pretty well. It even had the record for the most sold manga volume before One Piece came around. The story ended when it had to end.

(The pacing is also great but that's just a personal opinion kind of thing)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 23, 2010

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Sir Lucius posted:

I was kind of joking around, but it seemed like the series was planned out longer than it ran. Maybe it wasn't cut, but the author definitely ended it early.

You're completely missing a huge point in Slam Dunk.

It was never a cliche story about "Winning the Championships!". It's all about them coming together as a team and finally getting a chance to give their all.

Them losing after they beat the highest ranked team in the country is like, a footnote. It doesn't even matter, and I think the story's actually a lot better for it. It's about the characters attaining personal excellence and not having to look back wondering what might have been. They finally got to see exactly what they were made of, and when they put everything they had on the line they did succeed way beyond expectation.

If you don't understand at least that, then I gotta say your life is kinda lovely yo.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
So the giant Freshman from the other school was just a red herring?
Also, the part I didn't like about the comic wasn't the main cast -- that was easily the best of the series. It's when it would take a chapter in the middle of the game and go into some opponents back story. What's the point of building that kind of stuff up and then never using it?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
You just know Hajime No Ippo has taken its true dive when the story is uneventful enough that just reading posts about Slam Dunk in this Ippo thread are getting me interested. Don't care for basketball much, though. Personally, I've switched to Grappler Baki, which is great. I needs me a good new fightin' manga.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

For anyone who's "stopped" or "taking a break" from the series, out of curiousity, would a Takamura title match in the future be enough to get people reading again? Is there anything that would draw you back to the series now?

I mean I can understand why people would quit now but I'm interested if it's for good or just until some good poo poo goes down again.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mr. Deathy posted:

would a Takamura title match in the future be enough to get people reading again? Is there anything that would draw you back to the series now?

Sure, lots of things would get me feeling passionate about the series again. Just a quick few:

1) Ippo loses (as he should) to Woli.
The Coach takes a seriously hard look at himself and his training style and decides that he needs to refine it if the kid is to survive at the world stage. The Coach and Nekota reunite, teaming up together to make Ippo a true world stage contender. Ippo's boxing style evolves and rapidly changes for the better.

2) Sawamura trains a young talented boxer.
Sawamura pours all of his soul & boxing skills into a savage, young, misunderstood youth, who proceeds to have a death-match with Itagaki. Itagaki loses his cockiness once and for all when the first round begins and the up-and-coming boxer uses the new refined "Bullet" punch with devastating results.

3) Takamura has a real fight with a powerful contender.
None of this joke poo poo anymore, Takamura needs a challenge. He should fight the equivalent of Manny Pacquiao, a boxer with genuine strength and skills. No gimmicks. Takamura has to fight well beyond his current level in order to win the match.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

As much as I typically raise a brow at how folks "think the manga should go", I find myself favoring Jedah's recommendations.

1) Ippo's rebuilding would be phenomenal. Maybe goes on hiatus to train for a while and comes back to rip apart a world contender who wanted to use him as a sacrificial lamb of sorts (ie: Rocky 1). He stops being so drat stupid in his fights and comes across people who have raw strength and stamina. No more of this "dodging everything" character-type. It's just irritating. Knowing Mori's style, though, Ippo would seem like a god in the ring for his comeback match. Then he'd suck again for every match after that.

2) This would be a nice foil, since Mashiba helped train Itagaki to a degree. Sawamura stands opposite him and it'd be nice to bring up someone who is as much as if not more of a monster than he was.

3) Gimmicky fights are what Mori pulls out to see fresh and unique. I'd rather have a line of fighters like Vorg and Sendo compared to poo poo like Woli/Saeki/etc.

I really hope he's getting his rear end paddled by fans for this bullshit.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I like Jedah's suggestions. I'm personally just sick of gimmick fights or in the extreme, things that plainly don't make sense/push reality. The whole Woli fight has been an exercise in watching him do improbable things, while "he's a monkey" gets repeated ad nauseum.

I'd also like Ippo to show a bit more competence in his fights. Maybe a little back and forth between himself and his opponent. Just watching him get beat to poo poo for pages isn't very exciting, and it makes any turn-around seem forced. He can be losing a fight without it being completely one-sided.

More good fights for Takamura wouldn't be unappreciated either. I've never had much interest in any of the side-characters besides that.

VV I'll give you that one. But those two don't interest me as characters that much.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 23, 2010

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I've never had much interest in any of the side-characters besides that.
Still, you've gotta admit that Aokimura's title matches were pretty awesome :v:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 883 scan out

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

so all we got from this chapter was "woli likes to box"

Christ, I'm on the edge of my seat here!

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Vagrancy posted:

Chapter 883 scan out
MIYATAWOLI KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN :gay:

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Did that chapter seem like it was about 4 pages to anyone else?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ah so THIS was the challenge he was waiting for!

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?

Monaghan posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Monaghan posted:

Ahem. Woli AND Ippo like to box.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine
You know what? gently caress it. I quit. I am quitting this fight. Someone tell me when it's over.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

BOrangeFury posted:

You know what? gently caress it. I quit. I am quitting this fight. Someone tell me when it's over.

It's over! Come back! :buddy:

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

BOrangeFury posted:

You know what? gently caress it. I quit. I am quitting this manga. Someone tell me when it's over.

That seems a bit more accurate at this point. I didn't know it was possible to make the overall quality sink this low after just a few chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

An Outland Dish posted:

That seems a bit more accurate at this point. I didn't know it was possible to make the overall quality sink this low after just a few chapters.

Let's be fair, it didn't have that far to fall after Gedo.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Let's be fair, it didn't have that far to fall after Gedo.

It's been building a basement so it can fall further.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
The Dwarves of Mori delved too greedily and too deep.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

New raw is up.

Basically, Woli knocks the piss out of Ippo some more, and Ippo continues fapping his fist against Woli's rock hard body :v: He then nails a full-on blow which Woli blocks (of course) and sends him in to the corner. Ippo charges Woli who is all :3: because the corner is his forte. He bounds off the ropes, gets around Ippo, and cold-cocks him. Ippo's head also raps against the corner padding. Last panel is Coach going all NUUUOOOOOOOGHHHHHHH with the towel in hand, preparing to throw it.

gently caress you again, Mori.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

page not found posted:

gently caress you again, Mori.[/spoiler]

I don't know why you're saying this. Right now, I get the feeling that Ippo is actually going to lose. Isn't that what most of you think now?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Not when they have the towel as a cliffhanger. It'd get done Date-style mid-chapter or to wrap it up. Mori does cliffhangers lately in a way that it WON'T go the way it looks. Besides, Ippo doesn't even take downs anymore for fear of marketability or some poo poo :colbert: No way he loses, in spite of how that could help.

But if he lost, we'd definitely see Woli again. I don't want that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I honestly don't know which outcome would be worse at this point.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just don't like that Ippo may lose to such a gimmicky fighter. If he fought a guy that was completely better than him in an exciting boxing match, I wouldn't mind that at all. But the fact that he second loss may come at the hand of a racist caricature who can defy gravity is really disappointing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

page not found posted:

Not when they have the towel as a cliffhanger. It'd get done Date-style mid-chapter or to wrap it up. Mori does cliffhangers lately in a way that it WON'T go the way it looks. Besides, Ippo doesn't even take downs anymore for fear of marketability or some poo poo :colbert: No way he loses, in spite of how that could help.

But if he lost, we'd definitely see Woli again. I don't want that.

So who do you think is going to catch the towel when the Coach tries to throw it in?

Monaghan posted:

I just don't like that Ippo may lose to such a gimmicky fighter. If he fought a guy that was completely better than him in an exciting boxing match, I wouldn't mind that at all. But the fact that he second loss may come at the hand of a racist caricature who can defy gravity is really disappointing.

BUT HE'S A GENIUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

page not found posted:

New raw is up.

Basically, Woli knocks the piss out of Ippo some more, and Ippo continues fapping his fist against Woli's rock hard body :v: He then nails a full-on blow which Woli blocks (of course) and sends him in to the corner. Ippo charges Woli who is all :3: because the corner is his forte. He bounds off the ropes, gets around Ippo, and cold-cocks him. Ippo's head also raps against the corner padding. Last panel is Coach going all NUUUOOOOOOOGHHHHHHH with the towel in hand, preparing to throw it.

gently caress you again, Mori.

can you rehost it to non-rapidshare?

edit nevermind it finally let me

EDIT: haha holy poo poo. Lose? He might loving die in there, for real

Swamp Zero fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 28, 2010