Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Well, if you want 1080p, the HD20 is 1080p and the AX200 isn't. And very few (mostly data/presentation) projectors carry DVI anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, there's no DVI connections on most projectors I looked at recently, but I just bought a 5m DVI-HDMI cable for about €15, it works perfectly.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My father heard about something he said was called an XY colour profile or something. I can't find any hard info about it, but is there a good 1080p projector out there with this feature?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How do you guys feel about delivered projectors versus picking them up at a store? Is the packing usually satisfactory? Are there certain online vendors with poor reputations for packing?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How do you guys feel about delivered projectors versus picking them up at a store? Is the packing usually satisfactory? Are there certain online vendors with poor reputations for packing?

I've bought both of mine online with no issues. Packaging is what you would expect with any electronic device.

To be honest, if you bought one from a local place, it probably got beat around just as much since it was shipped there, too.

I got my last one from projectorpeople.com and it was a smooth transaction with no issues. I've never had any problems where I had to try to get warranty or anything so I can speak to that.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I bought mine from a cheap online store and the packaging was very good.

Besides, I wouldn´t know where to buy a projector otherwise, without driving for half a day.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Boz0r posted:

My father heard about something he said was called an XY colour profile or something. I can't find any hard info about it, but is there a good 1080p projector out there with this feature?

I have no idea what that is. Color is measured in x/y coordinates, so that could mean anything. If you just want a 1080p projector with good color, anything $2000 and up is going to be pretty close to D65 straight out of the box, and the rest is a matter of fine tuning.

Projectors come in the same boxes regardless of where you buy them. The manufacturer sends them to retailers (online or b&m) in large, sealed, heavily-padded-and-styrofoamed cardboard boxes. They're designed for shipping. You'll be fine.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I need to get a new projector for work.

• Budget is <$1000, lower is better
  • Usage will be PowerPoint and software demos/training for small groups of 5-15 people
  • XGA (1024x768)
  • Reasonable brightness, it doesn't have to work well with full-on ceiling lights but shouldn't require pitch black either
  • Reasonable portability, I'll be setting it up and tearing down for each use, but not lugging it around on buses or planes
  • Some ability to zoom for more flexibility in positioning
  • VGA input, and VGA pass-through would be nice to have
  • No preference between DLP or LCD, or manufacturers

Some of the models I've been looking at so far are the NEC-NP41 $650 after rebate, Optoma EX330 $840, and BenQ MP626 $785. Any comments on those or other appropriate models would be appreciated. Thanks!

rakuen.now
Dec 23, 2009

Boz0r posted:

I'm pretty sure he meant xvYCC, or x.v.Color, which pretty much has a larger gamut than sRGB, which results in more vivid colors. This was supported in HDMI 1.3, so I'm assuming most projectors should support this by now, but I'm not sure.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Just wanted to post in here that Tiger Direct has the Optoma HD20 for $999 and you can get 15% cashback through Bing making it $850. No tax and free shipping.

Pretty good price on a nice projector.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

King Hotpants posted:

Distance is related to screen size and nothing else. At 12' exactly you will get a picture between 97" and 107" diagonal. Just be aware of the projection angle - tilting projectors sucks rear end and makes everything look bad.

Larger distance also means a dimmer picture too.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Not always true.

On projectors with long zoom lenses, using the telephoto end of the range (smallest picture at a given size) will cut lumen output pretty significantly. But on a projector with a 1.2 or 1.3 zoom lens, you wouldn't notice.

There's also more to that than just "farther away = dimmer picture." If a projector is too close to the screen, sometimes the light hits it at too wide of an angle, so you get light scatter. The best bet, if you can do it, is to use the middle of the zoom range.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Picked up a PLV Z60 after reading through this thread for a while, thanks for all the info ya'll have posted. It should be here in another week and even picked up a screen.

a sawing motion
May 15, 2009
So after waiting a while and checking Craigslist every so often, I've stumbled upon two different projectors for under $100. The first one is going for $100 and, according to the seller, is in perfect condition with a couple minor scratches on the case.

The second projector is going for $85. It's a PLUS Piano HE-3100 DLP Projector, which, to my understanding, used to cost around $3000.

I was hoping someone would be able to ID the first projector for me so I could look it up to compare the two, but now that I have a second choice, maybe someone more knowledgeable about either of these would be able to give me their two cents?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Has anyone ever rebulbed a lamp before? Sim2 wants some where in the neighborhood of 6-700dollars for the entire lamp housing assembly for my Ht300. I have figured out what lamp/bulb it uses and it looks like I would just be able to pull out the entire reflector and connect the old leads to the new one.

I would gather that replacment bulbs typically don't last as long as factory due to the QA of them.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

a sawing motion posted:

So after waiting a while and checking Craigslist every so often, I've stumbled upon two different projectors for under $100. The first one is going for $100 and, according to the seller, is in perfect condition with a couple minor scratches on the case.

I was hoping someone would be able to ID the first projector for me so I could look it up to compare the two, but now that I have a second choice, maybe someone more knowledgeable about either of these would be able to give me their two cents?

I don't know what the first one is, and the second one was made in 2002. They're both pretty lovely. I mean if they're just toys, that's fine, but they are going to look pretty bad compared to anything made since then.

The PLUS used to cost around $1200, but it is 848x600 (which is not a native resolution used by anything at all), has very low light output (especially with the used lamp you'll be getting), crappy contrast and awful color. Getting replacement lamps is also going to be fun.

Unless you don't care at all and are just buying these for fun, I vote Pass.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I need to get a new projector for work.

• Budget is <$1000, lower is better
  • Usage will be PowerPoint and software demos/training for small groups of 5-15 people
  • XGA (1024x768)
  • Reasonable brightness, it doesn't have to work well with full-on ceiling lights but shouldn't require pitch black either
  • Reasonable portability, I'll be setting it up and tearing down for each use, but not lugging it around on buses or planes
  • Some ability to zoom for more flexibility in positioning
  • VGA input, and VGA pass-through would be nice to have
  • No preference between DLP or LCD, or manufacturers

Some of the models I've been looking at so far are the NEC-NP41 $650 after rebate, Optoma EX330 $840, and BenQ MP626 $785. Any comments on those or other appropriate models would be appreciated. Thanks!

I haven't used any of those brands lately, but I can def. recommend the Epson 826W.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...IwAg#ps-sellers

We use these in classrooms with widescreen aspect on the computers and they look pretty good. Price is right. It's a bit odd to attach to a ceiling b/c it needs a spider-arm universal mount, but it looks like that won't be an issue for you. You can use VGA, but it's also USB capable, which is especially nice for hooking up to a laptop in the office.

I get them delivered to my workplace whenever I need them. The packaging is satisfactory. Only once did one arrive damaged, but that was a heat sensor problem that didn't come from being dropped or something. In general, it's good to try to buy from a local shop. That'll come in handy if you want to get it fixed, esp when it's still under warranty.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 11, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm saving up now to buy a 1080P projector in December for Christmas, I figure I'll be able to bank about $2500. Looking for a 100" picture. My goal is to use it for movies on the weekends, maybe a little gaming from my PC for the novelty. I don't use my consoles much anymore. I have a regular TV for everyday watching. I should be able to control the ambient light well, and block out most of it.

What kinds of terms do i need to learn about researching for the projector itself. What about terms for the screen. I don't mind paying for a good screen if it will help the picture quality. Any really great resources for learning about projectors?

a sawing motion
May 15, 2009
Thanks, King Hotpants. Yeah I was just gonna buy them for shits and giggles to see if I would use a projector enough to justify buying a decent one, but they both had problems. The first one apparently doesn't actually work (just inferring this from the fact that I asked to see it work in person and the guy stopped talking to me) and the second one needed a new bulb. So I guess the hunt continues.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

RightHonourableHolt posted:

I haven't used any of those brands lately, but I can def. recommend the Epson 826W.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...IwAg#ps-sellers

I ended up going with the NEC NP41 since it was a good deal with the rebate, and it's small, light and bright. I was awfully tempted to get a short throw model, but I didn't want to risk it with my company's budget situation.

So far the NP41 has been great. The auto-focus feature is pretty handy. Only thing I've been missing so far is a button to blank the screen on the remote. Oh well, not bad for $650.

Boxbot
Jul 4, 2007
I'm thinking about buying the Epson HC8100 for movies and gaming. I was originally considering purchasing one of the 1000$ 1080p projectors but the additional features of the 8100 sold me. The higher brightness will be good for gaming in my living room which doesn't have great light control (movies would be at night). Also it has a large lens shift and zoom range which I think will help in my living room (long with very high ceilings). I can get it from projector people right now for 1500$ with mail in rebate.

What do you guys think? Is upscaling lag still an issue with newer projectors or with this projector in particular? I don't want my games to be unplayable. Is this worth the extra 500$ over the 1k projectors?

This will be my first projector, actually my first home theater purchase. Is there anything I'm missing?

Boxbot fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 25, 2010

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Nope, you're not missing anything. The HC8100 is a fantastic projector. You're going to love it.

Boxbot
Jul 4, 2007
Great, thanks Hotpants!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
The Optoma HD66 is out and it's billing itself as 3d capable. Read through the AVS forum thread and projector central review (both positive) but I'm still not sure what to make of it. Does anyone know how likely it is to support the blu ray 3d format later this year? It sports a 1.4 hdmi port and supposedly can handle 2x1080p streams at 24fps but I'm not up on the format situation.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Right now I have a Optoma HD70 and I got a stupid good offer from someone to buy it off me for more than it's worth. I'm now looking at either a Optoma HD80 or a Mitsubishi HC3800 to replace it. I like the idea of the HD80s 6x color wheel, but I haven't noticed the rainbow effect people talk about, is it the type of thing once I have the HD80 I'll notice and wonder how I ever used a 4x wheel or is it more a videophile type thing? I'm leaning much more toward the Mitsubishi because it's the most recently released budget DLP projector out there with specs that seem to mostly surpass the HD80 for around 1000$ less.

My limit's around 3000$ if anyone happens to know of another projector that just blows these away, but I'm not really looking for something crazy. Budget's not really a problem, but I don't like paying an extra 1000$ for negligible improvements. I'm set on DLP and 1080P though. I have a light controlled room and it'll never be used with ambient light around.

Everything I've read says the Mitsubishi blows the Optoma HD20 away which was the very first replacement projector I looked into.

Edit:
And holy poo poo Amazon has the HC3800 on sale right now for 1,200$ and it comes with a rebate for a free extra lamp. Someone warn me why I shouldn't buy this tonight.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 14, 2010

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
The only real reason to get a 6x wheel is if you can still see rainbows on a 4x wheel.

Buy the HC3800.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

craig588 posted:

Edit:
And holy poo poo Amazon has the HC3800 on sale right now for 1,200$ and it comes with a rebate for a free extra lamp. Someone warn me why I shouldn't buy this tonight.

They do??
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-HC3800-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B002PIPPUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266270906&sr=8-1

electronics expo has it for $1257 after shipping.

i would just buy it from circuit city with 15% off... it makes the thing only 1150 bucks

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1866629

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 15, 2010

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The price started going up again and now the sale's over I think. Thanks for that CC link though!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Some Best Buys are clearing out their stocks of Optoma HD65s to make room for the HD66. I found one for 479 in florida (it was the last in stock for that store).

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Some Best Buys are clearing out their stocks of Optoma HD65s to make room for the HD66. I found one for 479 in florida (it was the last in stock for that store).

I just picked one up in Minnesota for $399. The store was out of stock, but they shipped it in from another.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
After reading these last two posts and wanting to replace my free 10+ year old business projector, I hit my local Besy Buy. They are only clearing out their HD65s for like ~$550 here in SW FL. Wish I could get those better deals!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Dolemite posted:

After reading these last two posts and wanting to replace my free 10+ year old business projector, I hit my local Besy Buy. They are only clearing out their HD65s for like ~$550 here in SW FL. Wish I could get those better deals!

In SW FL I saw one for 475 so it's not hopeless.

So can I just tack up some blackout cloth for a screen or what?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

If you're going to do blackout cloth, just make a simple frame out of 1x4's. They're cheap and when you stretch it tight like a canvas, you'll get a much better picture than if you just have it hanging loose.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Where in SW FL are you? I'm in Sarasota and both of my Best Buys actually didn't have any HD65s left.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
It was the Spring Hill store north of Tampa.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks for the heads-up. I stopped by my local Best Buy first for giggles. I saw they one one HD65 left. I tried to see if they would mark it down to $399. Couldn't get the management to budge that low, but they did give it to me for the $475 price other Goons are managing to get.

Man, this projector is AMAZING. Coming from a 2000 model business projector from Compaq, this thing is a night and day difference! This projector is as bright and colorful as my LCD monitor and TV!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I got an open box hd65 for $330 before tax from BB today. Tonight ill set it up and see if its screwed up somehow.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Those are all pretty good deals, although I assume the prices in dollars are all pre-tax? Euro prices are always after tax which makes them seem more expensive in general. Prices for projectors also seem to fluctuate more than those for most other electronics, from what I can tell. Might have to do with the low demand for them.

I'm curious how well it works to project on a white sheet, does anyone have any tips on this? Image quality is already pretty good on my wall, but there's always room for improvement, yet I can't really justify spending an additional €200 or so on a screen.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah, the $479 I paid is pre-tax. Final out the door price was a little north of $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phineas Rhyne
Dec 24, 2009
I picked up the hd65 at my local BB (Northern California) for $399. It was the display model with no remote, last one they had, but such is life. Also of note is the $199 protection plan for the projector; while I'd normally never buy an extended warranty, this one comes with one free bulb replacement within 4 years.

• Locked thread