Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm seriously considering buying a flat where there's no parking either on the street or on the property, only on side streets around various corners.
Does anyone else have to cope with this? It's the only real stumbling block with the place. Right now I park right outside my flat and I pass the bike even if I'm walking somewhere and not using it. I'm not sure how I feel about not having the bike in visual range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
After I got a new battery for my bike, I wasn't careful with the vent tube, and some fluid ended up dripping on to my swingarm, eroding the paint and rusting a couple spots. I was going to repaint it (and obviously make sure that the tube is routed properly), but I was wondering if there's a particular type/brand of paint that will stand up better than the generic metals spray I used last time. I was thinking POR-15, but that stuffs a bit pricey.

edit: Anyone know a ballpark figure for how much powdercoating would cost, or if that would even be cost effective?

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 28, 2010

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alright, the monster is straight up pissing me off now. I've checked everything I can possibly think of; fuel line, fuel pump, spark, compression, belts and rockers, and took down one of the carbs which had no obvious problems. Everything should work just fine, and it still won't run. Anyone have any ideas as to why my bike would suddenly die and not run at all?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Well I'm not sure if this is really possible but I had gotten a cb500t to run after it had been sitting for God knows how many years. The guy I had fixed it up for wanted to take it for a test ride. We snugged up the chain and made some other adjustments. He jumped on it and put it into gear and it backfired and died. That was that. I could turn it over and almost get it started but it never ran again. I tried everything. (new points, plugs,valves, starting fluid, etc). It ended up getting sold for parts.

The guy that got the motor said that the chain must have been too tight because the crankshaft was bent. Hmm I mean I guess that might explain why the kick starter had been harder to kick after it died. Personally I just blame it on the cb500t being a super lovely design. (plastic cam chain guides? A cam chain as long as a drive chain?)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

Alright, the monster is straight up pissing me off now. I've checked everything I can possibly think of; fuel line, fuel pump, spark, compression, belts and rockers, and took down one of the carbs which had no obvious problems. Everything should work just fine, and it still won't run. Anyone have any ideas as to why my bike would suddenly die and not run at all?

What'd you fix last before it died?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Smirk posted:

I've noticed on my Hornet that when I let the clutch out in neutral, I can feel and hear what I presume is stuff spinning in the gearbox. Is this normal?

599s are notorious for a loud clutch in neutral. If it goes away when you pull the clutch lever in, it's perfectly normal.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
This is not exactly motorcycle specific, but whatever.

After doing a few things to the carbs on my XJ650, they have understandably gotten way the gently caress out of sync, to the point where it's unrideable. Now I know how to sync carbs (mostly...) and I have a manometer so tech isn't really the issue. The issue is overcoming circumstances.

The problem is I have a full time job and a 6 month old baby. This gives me about 15 minutes every few weeks to mess with the bike. What makes the situation impossible is that the "idle" is so bad now that it spends most of its time at 4000+ RPM. This means I can't work at night due to the noise. Which basically means I can't work on it at all, because night is all I have.

I'd like to be able to run the bike in the garage with the doors closed, which means routing some kind of hose outside. Is good old foil dryer hose sealed with some r12 fiberglass a reasonable setup for this or is that a fire/CO poisoning hazard? I searched around a bit for examples of this but the search terms are all pretty generic and I didn't find anything useful.

(Also- yes I admit I should probably pull the rack and bench sync them again)

tl;dr: help me run my old rat bike in the garage without killing myself.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
My girlfriend signed up for the MSF, and I can loan her some of my gear. What she doesn't have are a pair of boots for the course - everyting over the ankle she has is heeled.

She basically only needs a pair of something for the course, she doesn't know if she'll actually stick out and get a bike. Suggestions - cheap & returnable? Wal-Mart maybe?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ammanas posted:

My girlfriend signed up for the MSF, and I can loan her some of my gear. What she doesn't have are a pair of boots for the course - everyting over the ankle she has is heeled.

She basically only needs a pair of something for the course, she doesn't know if she'll actually stick out and get a bike. Suggestions - cheap & returnable? Wal-Mart maybe?
Comedy option

She may not stick with a motorcycle after that.
Hell, she may not stick around as your girlfriend after that.

But if she does....hubba hubba!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AnnoyBot posted:

This is not exactly motorcycle specific, but whatever.

After doing a few things to the carbs on my XJ650, they have understandably gotten way the gently caress out of sync, to the point where it's unrideable. Now I know how to sync carbs (mostly...) and I have a manometer so tech isn't really the issue. The issue is overcoming circumstances.

The problem is I have a full time job and a 6 month old baby. This gives me about 15 minutes every few weeks to mess with the bike. What makes the situation impossible is that the "idle" is so bad now that it spends most of its time at 4000+ RPM. This means I can't work at night due to the noise. Which basically means I can't work on it at all, because night is all I have.

I'd like to be able to run the bike in the garage with the doors closed, which means routing some kind of hose outside. Is good old foil dryer hose sealed with some r12 fiberglass a reasonable setup for this or is that a fire/CO poisoning hazard? I searched around a bit for examples of this but the search terms are all pretty generic and I didn't find anything useful.

(Also- yes I admit I should probably pull the rack and bench sync them again)

tl;dr: help me run my old rat bike in the garage without killing myself.

You can sync them by eye, just make sure they're open roughly the same amount, you can use a feeler gauge if you have one. I've done it by eye before. Then from there you can fine tune the sync. You need to get it idling before you try and sync it though. Syncing won't fix anything unless someone has seriously hosed up your carbs, it's just a way to smooth out low end throttle response. There is nothing you can do to get the carbs "out of sync" to the point where the bike won't run unless you mess with the sync screws a whole bunch.

Ammanas posted:

Anything that covers the ankle is fine...can she pick up a cheap pair of chucks or anything? Maybe something she'll wear one day in the future?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

What'd you fix last before it died?

Only thing I can think of that I fixed is the solder on the turn signal switch broke loose, so I re-soldered that. I've done a few cosmetic modifications, but that was electronics and nothing that should've killed the bike that quick.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ammanas posted:

The soles will probably have too much wear after the class to return them, but yeah a cheap pair of boots from Walmart will be just fine so long as they cover the ankle. Hell, hi-tops would probably do it, but boots would be better.

Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and get regular boots now. Is there really any chance that she won't want to ride after taking the class?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Only thing I can think of that I fixed is the solder on the turn signal switch broke loose, so I re-soldered that. I've done a few cosmetic modifications, but that was electronics and nothing that should've killed the bike that quick.

Can you get it to run with starter fluid? You could have spark but the timing could be out. If it runs on starter fluid, you've got a fuel delivery problem, if it doesn't run there, then it's time to start looking at the engine.

Can you put a duc 180 degrees out of timing? Where it's sparking on the exhaust stroke rather than the compression stroke?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Linedance posted:

I'm seriously considering buying a flat where there's no parking either on the street or on the property, only on side streets around various corners.
Does anyone else have to cope with this? It's the only real stumbling block with the place. Right now I park right outside my flat and I pass the bike even if I'm walking somewhere and not using it. I'm not sure how I feel about not having the bike in visual range.

Get comprehensive/theft insurance or buy a good lock and find something sturdy to lock it to. Basically all you can do. Really, anyone that has a bike whos loss would be a seriously crippling financial hit should have theft insurance.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

The throttle grip should slide right off after you unhook it. The left one - just cut it off with a box cutter.

I've used sex lube to get a grip off. It works well enough if you give it a little time to seep in. After you get it off you can just wash the residue off easily...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Can you get it to run with starter fluid? You could have spark but the timing could be out. If it runs on starter fluid, you've got a fuel delivery problem, if it doesn't run there, then it's time to start looking at the engine.

Can you put a duc 180 degrees out of timing? Where it's sparking on the exhaust stroke rather than the compression stroke?

I took one of my dad's suggestions and put gas in a spray bottle then sprayed it into the carb while trying to start it, and it would start firing a little. I think I need to just take the carbs to someone who knows what to look for, because it's the first carb I've broken down and I must be missing something.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Get comprehensive/theft insurance or buy a good lock and find something sturdy to lock it to. Basically all you can do. Really, anyone that has a bike whos loss would be a seriously crippling financial hit should have theft insurance.

yeah, I've always carried comprehensive, even if not for the crippling financial hit, just for the crippling pain in the rear end it mitigates. I had another look and where I'd park the bike is actually pretty secure in my mind. Plus my local dealer/shop is practically across the street so I can always pop in and get a new one!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What is everyone's opinion on hard vs. soft luggage? I'm looking to get at least a tail bag for the SV because I am sick of carrying a backpack/laptop bag everyday. I have a tank bag which I really like and will continue to use but am now looking for something to put on the back of the bike.

Primary use would be hauling the laptop to/from work but I plan to do some road trips this summer where I will need to bring clothes and supplies. I don't ride two up and don't plan on doing much if any so I have considered buying a extra rear seat pan and hard mounting a hard bag to that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I say hard bags are where it's at. 2 side mount givi/other saddlebags are where it's at. Or a single top box if you do a lot of lane splitting.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

NitroSpazzz posted:

What is everyone's opinion on hard vs. soft luggage? I'm looking to get at least a tail bag for the SV because I am sick of carrying a backpack/laptop bag everyday. I have a tank bag which I really like and will continue to use but am now looking for something to put on the back of the bike.

Primary use would be hauling the laptop to/from work but I plan to do some road trips this summer where I will need to bring clothes and supplies. I don't ride two up and don't plan on doing much if any so I have considered buying a extra rear seat pan and hard mounting a hard bag to that.

I prefer hardbags. They're sturdier, waterproof, and I think they look better.

However, they're also heavier, can't be overloaded, and more expensive.

v:shobon:v

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
So I got my multimeter today and I'm looking up online how to use it, but can anyone here clarify to make sure I'm doing it right?

What mode I need to use, and which socket does the red probe go in?

http://www.dansdata.com/images/caselight/multimeter440.jpg

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Hey guys, want to know a cool way to prevent weeks worth of frustration over electrical problems?

Make sure the ignition didn't come unplugged from the harness.

I'm the biggest retard, ever, ever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hayden. posted:

So I got my multimeter today and I'm looking up online how to use it, but can anyone here clarify to make sure I'm doing it right?

What mode I need to use, and which socket does the red probe go in?

http://www.dansdata.com/images/caselight/multimeter440.jpg
To answer your questions anyway (I have the same multimeter): Use 20V on the upper left. This is the voltmeter up to 20 DC volts. You want the bottom socket unless you have a really high circuit to test, which you don't on a bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hayden. posted:

So I got my multimeter today

34 minutes later...

hayden. posted:

Hey guys, want to know a cool way to prevent weeks worth of frustration over electrical problems?

The multimeter saves the day again.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Doctor Zero posted:

I prefer hardbags. They're sturdier, waterproof, and I think they look better.

However, they're also heavier, can't be overloaded, and more expensive.

v:shobon:v

i like hard top case that stays semi permanently attached, and then soft saddlebags when needed.

When i go off road, i'll usually take the hard case off and just bungie a duffel bag to the rack.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hard is the way to be :pervert: as everyone else has been saying but they can be pricey and if you don't use them all the time well... I have had no troubles with my Gears softbags and one of those waterproof turnover top duffle bags strapped to the seat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, if you can afford hard luggage, I don't think anyone is going to argue you off it. It's definitely pricey, though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Hard luggage has a bit of a disadvantage in that it can flat out break in the middle of a trip if you drop it on its side. Hard for soft luggage to break beyond repair with the use of zip ties and rope. Soft luggage also gives you a bit more wiggle room in what you can fit inside.

Besides that, and price, hard luggage is the way to go.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sounds like hard luggage it is, thanks for all the opinions. Time to start shopping for bike stuff...again:hfive:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

hayden. posted:

Hard luggage has a bit of a disadvantage in that it can flat out break in the middle of a trip if you drop it on its side.

Pelican Superiority! I still need to rig up a breakaway system though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

blugu64 posted:

Pelican Superiority! I still need to rig up a breakaway system though.

Just realized we have 3 very similar cases in the storage room and about 50 in the warehouse. Luggage found.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Send one my way, yo.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Wow. From $130 in "Airline Carry-on" size? Really?

Awesome.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jabs posted:

Wow. From $130 in "Airline Carry-on" size? Really?

Awesome.

awesome until you realize they're heavy as gently caress and by the time you've packed an overnight bag and some dainty underthings in it, you've reached the weight limit (not that that's ever stopped anyone before).

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Linedance posted:

awesome until you realize they're heavy as gently caress and by the time you've packed an overnight bag and some dainty underthings in it, you've reached the weight limit (not that that's ever stopped anyone before).
It's a carry on. No weight limit there, except what you can hoist into the overhead bin.
(it should fit under the seat, too, though, so even if you can't...)

edit: Says it's 12 pounds (13.6 with foam), so useful load is still 38-63 pounds if you're checking it (depending on if your airline is 50 or 75# limit before charging you extra, or extra extra...).

double edit: Jendywo just flew out to California with her 27x21x14 bag stuffed FULL (she's staying 2 months), and it was 49.5 pounds. I think you'd be hard pressed to get a carryon 35% of that size up to that kind of weight.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 3, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

hayden. posted:

Send one my way, yo.

I'm going to talk to the warehouse guys and see if we could stand to get rid of a few. They were used for shipping old hardware. They are air/water tight, have lockable latches, and come with a ton of foam inside. I've stripped a few out for various projects before.

Will see if I can buy/grab one off the shelf and give it a try. If it turns out we have spares and people are interested they would pry be pretty cheap and indestructible.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm going to talk to the warehouse guys and see if we could stand to get rid of a few. They were used for shipping old hardware. They are air/water tight, have lockable latches, and come with a ton of foam inside. I've stripped a few out for various projects before.

Will see if I can buy/grab one off the shelf and give it a try. If it turns out we have spares and people are interested they would pry be pretty cheap and indestructible.

I am interested for sure.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Same, I'd definitely be interested as well.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I really like the 1550 size cases. Not too big, but large enough to carry a lot of poo poo in. (2-3 six packs.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm in for one or two boxes if they become available.