Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hubis posted:

Posting this for Hammer Floyd to drool over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPZrAPfOwn0

Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

Are you aware exactly how much money this clip is going to cost me? Seriously, that drone bass is something I've wanted to muck around with for AGES. Not to mention the awesome synth keyboard sound. That's...just...Mmmmmmm.

Towel please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dan Hollis posted:

I am new to guitars, so I'm wondering if software like this simply replaces real pedals or does it enhance the gear you already have? Should I just forego buying effects pedals and buy something like AT3 instead? If so, how does the sound output work, a computer acting as a pedal between the guitar and your amp or are you playing right off your computer speakers?

I've just recently started messing with this stuff, so my experience is quite limited. The software is supposed to work as an alternative to spending thousands of dollars on hard to find pedal's and amps. If you have a good sound card/usb/firewire audio device you should be able to plug your amp in, or plug it right into a pa. You are also quite able to use your computer speakers or headphones. IK and Native Instruments both make pedal controls with USB audio input/output right on the controller. The cool thing about this is that you can plug your guitar right into your pedal, link the controller to whatever effect you want and rock out.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

The Fool posted:

I've just recently started messing with this stuff, so my experience is quite limited. The software is supposed to work as an alternative to spending thousands of dollars on hard to find pedal's and amps. If you have a good sound card/usb/firewire audio device you should be able to plug your amp in, or plug it right into a pa. You are also quite able to use your computer speakers or headphones. IK and Native Instruments both make pedal controls with USB audio input/output right on the controller. The cool thing about this is that you can plug your guitar right into your pedal, link the controller to whatever effect you want and rock out.

Eh, I dunno. I've been playing and gigging for a long time, and I'm very wary of going the amp sim route live. I can see doing the AxeFx-Atomic amp combo, or even something like a POD into the PA. But I'm not really comfortable having a laptop on stage and running that into a PA.

Personally I like stuff like AmpliTude for home recording. But I'm an amps and pedals kind of guy when it comes to actually playing with other people.

Now, this is all just my personal preference. Plenty of musicians achieve great sounds by doing the laptop + amp sim thing. King Crimson and John McLaughlin spring immediately to mind.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

Are you aware exactly how much money this clip is going to cost me? Seriously, that drone bass is something I've wanted to muck around with for AGES. Not to mention the awesome synth keyboard sound. That's...just...Mmmmmmm.

Towel please.

Electro-Harmonix is one of the best pedal companies out there. The only company I think you can say is anywhere near as creative or innovative is Zvex, but Zvex hasn't quite had the impact on music that EHX has.

[/EHXboner]

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Gorilla Salsa posted:

[/EHXboner]

EHX I LOVE YOU!!!!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Epi Lepi posted:

EHX I LOVE YOU!!!!

This was literally my pedalboard 2 months ago:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
All I have right now is a Deluxe Electric Mistress, and a Big Muff Pi with Tone/Wicker. Hoping to get more after the semester ends.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Epi Lepi posted:

All I have right now is a Deluxe Electric Mistress, and a Big Muff Pi with Tone/Wicker. Hoping to get more after the semester ends.

Heh...small fry. :smug:

Of that collection, I only have my SMMH, which fulfills something like $1000 in pedals' duties for only $150 (price I got it for.) My Holier grail, which will have to be ripped from my cold, dead fingers. And my Big Muff Pi, which would just be idiotic to get rid of. Technically I have the Q-Tron, but I'm trying desparately to sell it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

And my Big Muff Pi, which would just be idiotic to get rid of.
You really really need to try the Fuzz Factory.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

iostream.h posted:

You really really need to try the Fuzz Factory.

I've been thinking about it. I'm not wild on the crazy, self-oscillating poo poo it does, but if it can do a "BMP with more clarity" thing, I'd certainly be willing to buy one. I love my Wah Probe to death, you'd have to rip it from my cold, dead hands as well.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Fuzz Factory is like as far from a Big Muff as you can get and still be fuzz.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Epi Lepi posted:

Anybody know where I could find a mod online to add a tone wicker to my Big Muff? It's the classic one, not the Russian clone.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

dancehall posted:

Fuzz Factory is like as far from a Big Muff as you can get and still be fuzz.
It CAN be as far from that, or you can make it sound almost exactly the same, just better. Granted, I've only had mine for a couple of weeks now, but still.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So what's the point of the send/receive thing on my amp?

It seems I can hook up my effects there or just guitar->effects->amp

What's the difference?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

rt4 posted:

So what's the point of the send/receive thing on my amp?

It seems I can hook up my effects there or just guitar->effects->amp

What's the difference?

The effects loop sits in between the preamp and power amp sections of your amplifier.

You can think of your preamp like another effect in the chain. If you want to change the sound before the preamp, put it between the guitar and amp. If you want to change the sound coming out of the preamp, put it in the loop.

Also, your effects loop might be series or parallel. Series acts like you would expect it to, one after the other. Parallel lets you blend the effects in the loop together with the dry signal.

edit: Also, rack effects (as opposed to stompboxes) are usually designed with line level signals in mind instead of instrument level signals, which is why you'd want to put them in the loop.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 1, 2010

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

plester1 posted:

The effects loop sits in between the preamp and power amp sections of your amplifier.

You can think of your preamp like another effect in the chain. If you want to change the sound before the preamp, put it between the guitar and amp. If you want to change the sound coming out of the preamp, put it in the loop.

I've always wondered, you can buy tube distortion pedals with tubes in them - are these basically an amp's preamp? If so, why can't you say, buy an AC30 or AC15, Tiny Terror, Valve Jr etc "preamp pedal" like you can tube distortion pedals? Get all the relevant guts of a $900 amp for $180 and run it through to your $200 amp, spend the other money on more gear. It looks like Justin reviewed one made by Mesa few years back but even then then he said they'd been out of production for quite a while.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 2, 2010

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The EHX 22 Caliber is a pedal-based power amp. They also have a product called the LPB2ube that basically adds some extra gain stages to your preamp. Damage Control also makes two pedal-style preamps: the Demonizer and the Womanizer.

You can also buy rack-mounted preamps from almost anyone, from Behringer to Marshall and Mesa.

edit: But if you're really loaded just buy tons of amps and mix and match their pre/power amps. I think Matt Pike from High on Fire used to put a Soldano SLO into a Matamp, and I believe the guitarist from Rosetta uses a hot-rodded Marshall JCM2000 into a Sunn Model T. There's probably a gazillion examples of this.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 2, 2010

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Hadlock posted:

I've always wondered

Not quite the same. Unless you're running it into a power amp only, which is really unusual, it's still going through the amp's preamp. You'd have to do some serious shopping and spending to do a decent mix and match. On the upside, you'd end up with a badass Jerry Garcia-type rig, but technology nowadays is good enough you can customize your tone plenty with pedals.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

plester1 posted:

The EHX 22 Caliber is a pedal-based power amp.

That reminds me of the Noisy Cricket amp... and oh look, they've got a tube preamp prototype in the works now for about... $20 more than the ehx .22 ...must...not..buy.

Bypassing the existing preamp doesn't bother me too much, I've got a hobbyist mixer board that works perfect for recording. The dry signal it provides is... dry.

Rackmount preamp? :monocle: :googles:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CalvinDooglas posted:

Not quite the same. Unless you're running it into a power amp only, which is really unusual, it's still going through the amp's preamp. You'd have to do some serious shopping and spending to do a decent mix and match. On the upside, you'd end up with a badass Jerry Garcia-type rig, but technology nowadays is good enough you can customize your tone plenty with pedals.

Technically a double post, but spaced a day apart: Couldn't you run a separate preamp through an amp's effects loop in? Or is that what you're describing, daisy-chaining say, an AC-30's effects loop out into a (picks a random amp) Marshall JCM800 effects loop in?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Pretty much what Tech 21 has been doing as of late, but it doesn't have to be tube to get great tube sounds. The Tech 21 Character Series pedals can be run in your chain or can drive a power amp as its pre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyqIh99P2Q "Leeds" (Hiwatt)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKLgKJQV_g "Oxford" (Orange)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZw2a17KYGY "US Steel" (Mesa Rect.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP2Eq-jjqU0 "British" (Marshall)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Qn_rNuvn8 "Liverpool" (Vox)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKoMpeWlYag "California" (Mesa Mark)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 2, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CalvinDooglas posted:

Not quite the same. Unless you're running it into a power amp only, which is really unusual

Not for bassists!

I do this currently with my VT Bass pedal into my old Ampeg B2R's Power Amp In.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Technically a double post, but spaced a day apart: Couldn't you run a separate preamp through an amp's effects loop in? Or is that what you're describing, daisy-chaining say, an AC-30's effects loop out into a (picks a random amp) Marshall JCM800 effects loop in?

Yeah, you can do exactly this.

You can also mix and match pre and power amps in software amp emulators like AmpliTube and Guitar Rig, which is cheaper than actually buying an AC-30 and a JCM800.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I played around with Amplitube about a year ago and either my computer isnt fast enough (2.4ghz core2duo, 4gb ram) or the software hasn't developed enough that I can strum the guitar and hear the chord with no noticable delay. Maybe you can get used to it. I dunno.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I played around with Amplitube about a year ago and either my computer isnt fast enough (2.4ghz core2duo, 4gb ram) or the software hasn't developed enough that I can strum the guitar and hear the chord with no noticable delay. Maybe you can get used to it. I dunno.

I don't know what audio interface you're using, but its round-trip latency can be a big contributing factor to the audible delay. I don't have any experience with Amplitube, but I figure that if you want to use it as an effect box for live playing, you need to have an interface with minimal latency.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hadlock posted:

Not enough info to diagnose the problem but I'm going to guess that your issue is that you don't have an audio interface capable of extremely low latency, or you don't know how to configure your audio interface for extremely low latency. In the former case there are some good and inexpensive options tailored specifically for instruments, I can help you if you are interested; in the latter, don't feel too bad, the whole process is not entirely straightforward until you are used to it and then it feels second nature enough that you accidentally look :smug: when you're just trying to help people.

So, what kind of audio interface are you using?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sure I'd love to hear your suggestions. I've got a cheap XLR mic plugged into a xenyx 802 plugged into a beringer UCA202 on it's own USB bus; everything else (mouse, keyboard, game controllers etc) are on the other USB chip on the motherboard or simply unplugged to minimize latency. I forget exactly what I've done software side, but I have XP SP3 and may have overclocked my USB bus at one point to 500mhz for my usb m-audio keyboard (which works well). M-audio fast track USB says latency is currently at 128.

I just booted up Amplitube 2 Live to give it a listen again and I'd say there's not much lag, but it sounds like the amount of delay/echo you get if you dropped a heavy book in an empty garage. Wikipedia says "Slapback echo uses a longer delay time (seventy-five to 250 milliseconds)" and it's slightly longer than a slapback echo. If I were to guess I'd say it's between 300 and 500ms of lag mic->mixer->uca202->computer->uca202->mixer->headphones.

Edit: I plugged my audio capture device into my linux laptop and loaded up JACK, it says latency of 46.4ms

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 3, 2010

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

What kind of audio drivers are you using for the interface? Does it have an ASIO driver, and are you using that?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Also your recording software (assuming you are using Amplitube as a VST plugin) should tell you your latency in that application.

It looks like the UCA202 does have ASIO drivers available at http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx -- both native drivers by Behringer, and 3rd party ASIO4ALL drivers, you might want to try out both of them to see if one gives noticably better latency.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good eye, I'll give those ASIO drivers a shot and report back. Thanks!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I just got an Electro-Harmonix POG2, and I'm looking for interesting settings any of you guys have come up with. I've only had a couple of hours to dick around with it since I got it, but so far I've come up with a decent 12-string sound, a Jack White/whammy pedal sounding lead tone, and various over the top organ sounds with the varying amounts of attack delay and Q. It's a pretty intimidating pedal at first with all those knobs and buttons, so any help would be awesome.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Drifter287 posted:

So I just got an Electro-Harmonix POG2, and I'm looking for interesting settings any of you guys have come up with. I've only had a couple of hours to dick around with it since I got it, but so far I've come up with a decent 12-string sound, a Jack White/whammy pedal sounding lead tone, and various over the top organ sounds with the varying amounts of attack delay and Q. It's a pretty intimidating pedal at first with all those knobs and buttons, so any help would be awesome.

Make a bunch of different presets, play a big, open chord and tap the preset footswitch as fast as you possibly can.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Also record it so we can hear you experiment

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
send it to me and I'll let you know if I come up with anything good

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Looking for a good psychedelic octave/fuzz sound. Have fuzz, need octave. Is my best bet picking up a POG/MiniPOG or just a dedicated Octafuzz like the Fulltone? (Yes, the Fuzz Factory does a bit of octave fuzz, but not as pronounced as I'd like).

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

iostream.h posted:

Looking for a good psychedelic octave/fuzz sound. Have fuzz, need octave. Is my best bet picking up a POG/MiniPOG or just a dedicated Octafuzz like the Fulltone? (Yes, the Fuzz Factory does a bit of octave fuzz, but not as pronounced as I'd like).

Get a dedicated Octave Fuzz. I have the Voodoo Labs Proctavia, and it's splendid.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Get a dedicated Octave Fuzz. I have the Voodoo Labs Proctavia, and it's splendid.
Damnit. Of course I don't actually have an issue with this, I just kind of feel like 3 fuzzes (and 2 overdrive/distortions) are a bit much.

Anyone know anything about the Fulltone? There's one near me that's cheap as gently caress right now, although I generally LIKE Voodoo Labs stuff.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
The POG is a pretty awesome thing to have around. But if you're gonna go dedicated octave fuzz and feel a little nuts spending so much, a lot of people love the cheap-as-hell Danelectro French Toast.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

dancehall posted:

feel a little nuts spending so much
Nah, it's not that at all, I just don't want to become a TGP'er or something. 'Oh well THIS is my fuzz pedal for rainy Wednesdays.' (Edit- This sounded much funnier in my head.)

I probably still WILL add a POG or something for some of those cathedral/organ type swells and stuff anyway.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

iostream.h posted:

Damnit. Of course I don't actually have an issue with this, I just kind of feel like 3 fuzzes (and 2 overdrive/distortions) are a bit much.

My personal rule of thumb is one of every category of distortion. That is:
  • Overdrive (as in a Tube Screamer)
  • Distortion (as in a Barber Dirty Bomb)
  • Fuzz (as in a Big Muff Pi)
  • Octave Fuzz (as in a...well you know.)

iostream.h posted:

Anyone know anything about the Fulltone? There's one near me that's cheap as gently caress right now, although I generally LIKE Voodoo Labs stuff.

The fulltone was going to be my original choice, but I had a GAS attack for an octave fuzz with only ~$80 to my name so I went with the still-very-well-regarded-but-not-nearly-as-cool-looking Voodoo Labs. It's supposedly the exact same schematic as the original tychobrahe Octavia, but I really don't give a poo poo about that kind of nonsense.

iostream.h posted:

Nah, it's not that at all, I just don't want to become a TGP'er or something. 'Oh well THIS is my fuzz pedal for rainy Wednesdays.' (Edit- This sounded much funnier in my head.)

TGP can be loving ridiculous when it comes to this stuff, you've got a long way to go. Really, nobody needs TWO Fulltone OCDs on their board, especially not when they have a Catalinbread DLS, a Klon, etc.