Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Bisse posted:

Woli can't take punches for poo poo.

You are probably correct with this theory. But that doesn't make it any less of a silly way for Ippo to win.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Ytlaya posted:

Oohhh, so that's what was up with the chair thing. I think you're right about that indicating that he's a total puss about getting hit with anything.

Now I'm sad because this is what will happen, and Ippo being smacked around will have even more pointless then I had previously thought. At least he could've lost, while blaming it on his challenger attitude.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

trucutru posted:

He is good at boxing because he spent all his time playing with monkeys! That gave him true monkey powers like defying gravity. When a punch is about 15 cm away from hitting him he, somehow, can retract the arm he's punching with and hit Ippo with his other arm before the hit connects. He has gimmicky super monkey powers.

... and he jumps around like the idiotic monkey-man caricature he is (and loves bananas)

haha I was about to do a sternly worded serious reply to this then I just laughed out loud yeah the dude's a loving caricature all right who am I even kidding.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I think you all are forgetting the fact that being unconscious in Ippo only makes you stronger. Woli's going to finally take one of Ippo's punches and then gain Gorilla strength or some poo poo. The fight will end 39 chapters after that

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

aggllmmmmmmmmmwdhjkkjdfdafjkjjjfqfnnnnnnnnmmruhgagjkacvnaLKCmawohhhhhhhhhhhh *WHAM*

I.. I did it Coach.. I breathed the same air as him 5 times..

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, but waaayyy back before Ippo fought Suwamara, Suwamara got in a street fight with a bunch of guys. One of them threatened to call the cops, and Suwamara stuck his hand in the guy's mouth. What the hell did he supposedly do to the guy?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If you open your fist in someone's mouth you will supposedly permanently disfigure if not kill them.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR4BpqG_rfk

Posting this as an example of how quickly a fight can change when one fighter can take a punch and the other can't.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Oohhh, so that's what was up with the chair thing. I think you're right about that indicating that he's a total puss about getting hit with anything.

I hope it's a call to million dollar baby.

Why you ask?

Cuz I hope the bell rings, ippo keeps punching unconsciously, and knocks woli into the stool paralyzing him.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Tezcatlipoca posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR4BpqG_rfk

Posting this as an example of how quickly a fight can change when one fighter can take a punch and the other can't.

Well what do you know.

DamnGlitch posted:

I hope it's a call to million dollar baby.

Why you ask?

Cuz I hope the bell rings, ippo keeps punching unconsciously, and knocks woli into the stool paralyzing him.

After all, everyone Ippo has fought has been permanently injured :v:

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
I hope the referee just pulls out a gun and straight up shoots Woli.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just realized that Japanese shonen manga really have a gigantic hard-on for people who are "naturally talented" and can beat the living poo poo out of people who have trained rigorously for years.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Monaghan posted:

I just realized that Japanese shonen manga really have a gigantic hard-on for people who are "naturally talented" and can beat the living poo poo out of people who have trained rigorously for years.
Not as big as their hard-on for people who have no talent other than taking ridiculous amounts of punishment despite their wimpy appearance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Doomclown posted:

Not as big as their hard-on for people who have no talent other than taking ridiculous amounts of punishment despite their wimpy appearance.

You are supposed to sympathize with anyone who gets beaten to a pulp. That's why villains tend to go down in under 5 successful attacks after beating the hero into a bloody mess. That is somewhat less true for Ippo of course, in that there are very few if any actual villains other than Mori.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I feel like Ippo is the perfect example of the flaws of shonen. Even a great, pure, simple story like Ippo's gets dragged out and repeated ad nauseum, and it's hard to imagine anyone getting excited about hitting the reset button Ippo's progress before every match and making him the UP AND COMING CHALLENGER.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Chinaman7000 posted:

I feel like Ippo is the perfect example of the flaws of shonen. Even a great, pure, simple story like Ippo's gets dragged out and repeated ad nauseum, and it's hard to imagine anyone getting excited about hitting the reset button Ippo's progress before every match and making him the UP AND COMING CHALLENGER.

I don't disagree with this, I think it can be saved though. Shift away from Ippo. He's completely boring and needs to re-conceptualized. He needs to grow up, badly.

A while ago, characters like Date had the spotlight. Even though it's the shonen genre, Date's arc was an interesting in-depth peak at an older boxer, struggling with defeat, his own identity, and maintaining a family. It was surprisingly mature for HnI, especially given that he ultimately lost. I wish I knew of other manga that pulled that off. Any recommendations?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

I don't disagree with this, I think it can be saved though. Shift away from Ippo. He's completely boring and needs to re-conceptualized. He needs to grow up, badly.

A while ago, characters like Date had the spotlight. Even though it's the shonen genre, Date's arc was an interesting in-depth peak at an older boxer, struggling with defeat, his own identity, and maintaining a family. It was surprisingly mature for HnI, especially given that he ultimately lost. I wish I knew of other manga that pulled that off. Any recommendations?

Are you specifically looking for a shounen and/or sports manga? Because there are a lot of manga that deal very well with mature themes/characters, just kinda tough to find them in this particular genre.

Hunter X Hunter is pretty good at having compelling villains with interesting backstories, if you haven't read that. Worst art ever though, to the extent where the more poorly drawn chapters honestly have you wondering how they got past an editor. Even when it's good it's still pretty mediocre. Makes up for it though with plot.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Ytlaya posted:

Are you specifically looking for a shounen and/or sports manga? Because there are a lot of manga that deal very well with mature themes/characters, just kinda tough to find them in this particular genre.

Hunter X Hunter is pretty good at having compelling villains with interesting backstories, if you haven't read that. Worst art ever though, to the extent where the more poorly drawn chapters honestly have you wondering how they got past an editor. Even when it's good it's still pretty mediocre. Makes up for it though with plot.

Thanks, I'll check it out for sure! I'm trying to keep an open mind. Just compelling writing and complex characters sound good. Like many on the forum, popped my cherry on Berserk and was never able to find a replacement/new addiction.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Chinaman7000 posted:

We also need more Aokimura and drag them out of comedy relief duty.
Kimura vs Mashiba was seriously one of the best fights in the series.

On other news, i started reading Baki again, jumped forward a few chapters and what do i get?

Insanity. That's what i get.

I admit, the old karate guy punching out a villain with the stump of his hand was pretty cool but this is pretty much the weirdest loving thing i've ever read

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Jedah posted:

I've been considering translating Tarou, which I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's not a perfect series, and it's definitely not a perfect boxing series, but it's the best boxing series I can think of when it comes to juggling day to day life and the career of a pro boxer.

In it, our main character, who is younger than Ippo:

- Has what most of us would consider a normal job, and has to deal with lovely co-workers.
- Is shy, but manages to have sex with a girl. More than once.
- Has to deal with the lovely side of boxing. Feeling like crap the next morning after a fight, but having to wake up and go to work. Getting discouraged after losing important fights. Like, oh say, your debut match. Getting discouraged after realizing your own weaknesses.

In addition, his rival--who actually looks similar to Woli--has to deal with poo poo like racism in his part time job, and gets a huge chunk of the series not just related to his requisite tragic past, but also his day to day life and hopes for his future in addition to his own love story. (Which is interesting because he was also a borderline racist caricature in the very beginning, like almost all foreign boxers in boxing series.)

That's not to say it completely lacks ridiculous elements--from what I remember without pulling out my volumes, the world champ has a tattoo on his back that changes color when he's "serious"--only it's easier to overlook them because of the solid base and lack of "opponent of the week" style narrative in favor of a series that develops its core cast of characters so that you care about what they do and what happens to them, whether it's inside the ring or outside of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A good seinen boxing manga sounds great after all this bullshit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

musouka posted:

I've been considering translating Tarou, which I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's not a perfect series, and it's definitely not a perfect boxing series, but it's the best boxing series I can think of when it comes to juggling day to day life and the career of a pro boxer.

In it, our main character, who is younger than Ippo:

- Has what most of us would consider a normal job, and has to deal with lovely co-workers.
- Is shy, but manages to have sex with a girl. More than once.
- Has to deal with the lovely side of boxing. Feeling like crap the next morning after a fight, but having to wake up and go to work. Getting discouraged after losing important fights. Like, oh say, your debut match. Getting discouraged after realizing your own weaknesses.

In addition, his rival--who actually looks similar to Woli--has to deal with poo poo like racism in his part time job, and gets a huge chunk of the series not just related to his requisite tragic past, but also his day to day life and hopes for his future in addition to his own love story. (Which is interesting because he was also a borderline racist caricature in the very beginning, like almost all foreign boxers in boxing series.)

That's not to say it completely lacks ridiculous elements--from what I remember without pulling out my volumes, the world champ has a tattoo on his back that changes color when he's "serious"--only it's easier to overlook them because of the solid base and lack of "opponent of the week" style narrative in favor of a series that develops its core cast of characters so that you care about what they do and what happens to them, whether it's inside the ring or outside of it.

This sounds awesome. It's always kinda bothered me how Ippo's life outside of his matches is almost entirely ignored.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
I think I spent too much time on this... but it's the only way I can see this fight ending the way I want!

Click here for the full 477x712 image.

Click here for the full 446x720 image.

Click here for the full 385x616 image.

Click here for the full 604x476 image.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:swoon: Oh, the Hawk fight...!

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Big L, send these to Mori. If this goes through, you will have single-handedly saved this manga.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Jedah posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out for sure! I'm trying to keep an open mind. Just compelling writing and complex characters sound good. Like many on the forum, popped my cherry on Berserk and was never able to find a replacement/new addiction.

Vinland. loving. Saga.

It's everything good about Berserk without all the godddamn fairies. Literally everything.

(Also Claymore, GantZ (I always say GantZ), maybe Freesia, definitely everything Urasawa, Hoshi no Samadare... there's a billion things out there yo.)

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

holy poo poo. Vinland's artwork is ridiculously similar to Berserk's on the level of quality :psyduck: And the creator is the goon who did Planetes. Much oblige for pointing this out :neckbeard:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Big L posted:

I think I spent too much time on this... but it's the only way I can see this fight ending the way I want!

Click here for the full 477x712 image.

Click here for the full 446x720 image.

Click here for the full 385x616 image.

Click here for the full 604x476 image.

Oh look it's how the fight should have gone if Woli had more to his character than just "REALLY GOOD"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

apekillape posted:

Vinland. loving. Saga.

It's everything good about Berserk without all the godddamn fairies. Literally everything.

(Also Claymore, GantZ (I always say GantZ), maybe Freesia, definitely everything Urasawa, Hoshi no Samadare... there's a billion things out there yo.)

And Inio Asano stuff and stuff by whoever the dude is who does Ciguatera is even better than any of those, and that's saying a lot since I'm a huge Urasawa fan. Those series are good enough to be considered great by people who don't read any manga (though Urasawa also falls into this category, his manga also have a small degree of manipulative lost-ish mystery/revealing components to them that drop him just slightly below stuff like Punpun or Ciguatera).

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i think i would have kizzed if the fight ended that way in one round and takamura ran to the ring yelling about how ippo stole his style or something

:negative: oh god this manga is so bad

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

KidDynamite posted:

i think i would have kizzed if the fight ended that way in one round and takamura ran to the ring yelling about how ippo stole his style or something

I disagree. Any manga that allows that to be a possible outcome is awesome.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Ytlaya posted:

And Inio Asano stuff and stuff by whoever the dude is who does Ciguatera is even better than any of those, and that's saying a lot since I'm a huge Urasawa fan. Those series are good enough to be considered great by people who don't read any manga (though Urasawa also falls into this category, his manga also have a small degree of manipulative lost-ish mystery/revealing components to them that drop him just slightly below stuff like Punpun or Ciguatera).

BY THE AUTHOR OF HIMIZU?!?

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

An Outland Dish posted:

I disagree. Any manga that allows that to be a possible outcome is awesome.

Have you actually read this manga? That was never a possibility. Ippo has won what, two fights in his entire career without getting beaten bloody first? And neither of those opponents were hyped as geniuses beforehand.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Serious Frolicking posted:

Have you actually read this manga? That was never a possibility. Ippo has won what, two fights in his entire career without getting beaten bloody first? And neither of those opponents were hyped as geniuses beforehand.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Three opponents, actually :eng101:

1) His "no eyebrows" opponent (numbah two).
2) The Dempsey Roll introduction.
3) God-mode against the wonderboy guy that was supposed to wrap up his time as a Japanese champ. Karasawa? I forget the name.

And it's a shame there aren't more :( Let Ippo's focus drift to personal life on occasion and have boxing take a back seat. Y'know, have him doing it but no OMG MUST TRAIN FOR DAYS FOR HIS SUNDAY PUNCH. Maybe more stuff with Kumi and Mashiba. Always interesting :v: Albeit rare :negative:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

page not found posted:

Three opponents, actually :eng101:

1) His "no eyebrows" opponent (numbah two).
2) The Dempsey Roll introduction.
3) God-mode against the wonderboy guy that was supposed to wrap up his time as a Japanese champ. Karasawa? I forget the name.

And it's a shame there aren't more :( Let Ippo's focus drift to personal life on occasion and have boxing take a back seat. Y'know, have him doing it but no OMG MUST TRAIN FOR DAYS FOR HIS SUNDAY PUNCH. Maybe more stuff with Kumi and Mashiba. Always interesting :v: Albeit rare :negative:

He's in a rut. His relationships with people haven't moved forward in years, nor has his career. It's sort of hosed up he's entered some sort of time stasis where the status quo is always maintained, and frankly the bland usual 'ippo' isn't as interesting as growing and changing like... you know, most of the series was.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

He's in a rut. His relationships with people haven't moved forward in years, nor has his career. It's sort of hosed up he's entered some sort of time stasis where the status quo is always maintained, and frankly the bland usual 'ippo' isn't as interesting as growing and changing like... you know, most of the series was.
I thought you were talking about Mori, until you said Ippo by name :v: Personally, I loved the training arcs. Ippo learns a new move or perfects his technique. Et cetera.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

page not found posted:

I thought you were talking about Mori, until you said Ippo by name :v: Personally, I loved the training arcs. Ippo learns a new move or perfects his technique. Et cetera.

It hasn't really changed his game so it's pretty pointless in retrospect. He sucks. It's kind of like a retarded kid with an invincibility cheat claiming he's awesome at doom or something.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The problem with training arcs is that after 2(or even 0), you know he probably learned some UNUSABLE DANGEROUS ONE SHOT attack, and then you have to go through 3 chapters of Ippo being beat up until he's desperate enough to try it(and then miss, and then try and win).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

The problem with training arcs is that after 2(or even 0), you know he probably learned some UNUSABLE DANGEROUS ONE SHOT attack, and then you have to go through 3 chapters of Ippo being beat up until he's desperate enough to try it(and then miss, and then try and win).
I think there needs to be some training to redeem Kamogawa's worth. For the past two fights at least, he hasn't been any help whatsoever as a Coach or a second. In my opinion, that is :v: