Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
I'd be interested as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm in for one or two boxes if they become available.
1-3 here, I think.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

hayden. posted:

Send one my way, yo.

ari.gato posted:

I am interested for sure.

Z3n posted:

Same, I'd definitely be interested as well.

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm in for one or two boxes if they become available.

laymil posted:

I'd be interested as well.

Jabs posted:

1-3 here, I think.

Ah poo poo what have I done... They are looking into it for me, I know we have shelves of the things that haven't been used for years. Will let everyone know what prices would be as soon as I can, also will get dimensions.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Ah poo poo what have I done... They are looking into it for me, I know we have shelves of the things that haven't been used for years. Will let everyone know what prices would be as soon as I can, also will get dimensions.

Add another one to the list.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm guessing shipping to Denmark etc. would be horrible, but if not, write me down as a definite "maybe" :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would also like a box or two.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
Yeah if there a good price, I would be interested in a couple of pelicans too.
I know how to utilize them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've already got sidecases :(

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

hayden. posted:

Hard for soft luggage to break beyond repair with the use of zip ties and rope.

Action shot!

The entire top seam was ripped. Held my gear for another 1000 miles.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Just cut the old grips off my bike and put on some new ones using hairspray on the inside. Stuck them on, got them lined up right and came back in an hour to check on them. They still wiggle around, what should I do? Is there another thing I should of used to get them on+act as glue?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Whiteboy posted:

Just cut the old grips off my bike and put on some new ones using hairspray on the inside. Stuck them on, got them lined up right and came back in an hour to check on them. They still wiggle around, what should I do? Is there another thing I should of used to get them on+act as glue?

You probably used too much hairspray. I've used epoxy or JBweld to install them. Means you can't reuse them, but they don't move around then :)

When I've overdone it with the lube, I've had good luck with a skinny screwdriver + a shop towel jammed up the grip to sop up the extra.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Whiteboy posted:

If there's a motorcycle shop near you, most of them sell grip glue for like $5. I've used it on my bike before, and I'm about to do it again this weekend. Can't reuse the grips, but it seals tight like a virgin midget.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Z3n posted:

You probably used too much hairspray. I've used epoxy or JBweld to install them. Means you can't reuse them, but they don't move around then :)

When I've overdone it with the lube, I've had good luck with a skinny screwdriver + a shop towel jammed up the grip to sop up the extra.

JBWeld? Doesn't that stuff pretty much turn to concrete?

ari.gato posted:

If there's a motorcycle shop near you, most of them sell grip glue for like $5. I've used it on my bike before, and I'm about to do it again this weekend. Can't reuse the grips, but it seals tight like a virgin midget.

Yeah I've got to get some because I just used the air hose in my left grip and it came right off. The grip on my throttle is sticking well enough that I'm not going to mess with it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Just safety wire your grips. Also don't let the glue get down to the end of your grips because they will glue your throttle tube stuck. Just a little right on the starting part of the grip.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Random question: How close are the Superbike homologation specials -- specifically, the Ducati 1098R/1198R -- to the actual race machines? I figure they're a lot more similar than, say, my neighbor's Camry and Kyle Busch's Sunday ride.

Also, Ducati "street" superbike vs. Hayabusa: Which is faster? The Duc supposedly has 5 more horses and a bit less weight, the 'Busa is the "fastest production bike." Is this some fuckery with how many are built and Ducati not wanting to draw attention to themselves, or does the Suzuki have better aero? (In the real world, I'm pretty sure the Italians would win, because every Hayabusa I've seen has been piloted by a big fat guy, and the one guy I've known who owned a Ducati was tall but trim.)

Lastly, how crazy would it be for a short guy like me to ride a Ducati on the street? Just from a handling-the-bike perspective, on the three days a year it's not in the shop. (I'm the same 5'6"ish as Ducati's race jockeys, but they don't have to stop for traffic lights.)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Uh, you're not supposed to use glue or lubricant. You use just plain tap water. That way it can evaporate after you're done installing the grips.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Delivery McGee posted:

Random question: How close are the Superbike homologation specials -- specifically, the Ducati 1098R/1198R -- to the actual race machines? I figure they're a lot more similar than, say, my neighbor's Camry and Kyle Busch's Sunday ride.

Also, Ducati "street" superbike vs. Hayabusa: Which is faster? The Duc supposedly has 5 more horses and a bit less weight, the 'Busa is the "fastest production bike." Is this some fuckery with how many are built and Ducati not wanting to draw attention to themselves, or does the Suzuki have better aero? (In the real world, I'm pretty sure the Italians would win, because every Hayabusa I've seen has been piloted by a big fat guy, and the one guy I've known who owned a Ducati was tall but trim.)

Lastly, how crazy would it be for a short guy like me to ride a Ducati on the street? Just from a handling-the-bike perspective, on the three days a year it's not in the shop. (I'm the same 5'6"ish as Ducati's race jockeys, but they don't have to stop for traffic lights.)

If you are as new to riding as you sound from this post you probably should start with a bike that won't actively try to kill you

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

niethan posted:

If you are as new to riding as you sound from this post you probably should start with a bike that won't actively try to kill you
I should've expected that. It's more idle curiosity/writing project ideas than actually wanting/being able to afford anything mentioned. Don't worry, the most powerful thing I'm considering getting on in the foreseeable future is a Triumph Bonneville. I was just wondering how the big bastards stood up to the hype. I know from Hunter Thompson and the friend I mentioned that Ducatis are murderous beasts. I'm sure as hell never turning the key on one, but could a short person with riding experience and a death wish get away with daily-driving a Superbike?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 4, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

I know from Hunter Thompson and the friend I mentioned that Ducatis are murderous beasts.
Not all Ducatis are superbikes. The lower-range Monsters, for instance are only mildly homicidal.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Delivery McGee posted:

Between the Duc WSBK jobs and a streetie? For the engine, different pistons (lighter and 2 ring v 3), re-balanced crank, bit of head work and cams, gearbox ratios and better electronics. Chassis wise, different forks, shock, brakes, wheels (16in not 17in), bigger tank and then the usual racebike mods.

Really, apart from the frame and engine block and cases, WSBK bikes just look theor road going counter parts.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Really, apart from the frame and engine block and cases, WSBK bikes just look theor road going counter parts.

The 1198R is closer to the WSBK than anything else. That's why it's 3X the cost of an R1.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

n8r posted:

Just safety wire your grips. Also don't let the glue get down to the end of your grips because they will glue your throttle tube stuck. Just a little right on the starting part of the grip.

What? You shouldn't be gluing the throttle grip. :psyduck:

Yeah, hairspray works, but you only need a little. You might be able to get away with white glue too, but I haven't tried.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Delivery McGee posted:

The Hayabusa is really the fastest production bike. It has great aero, and makes a poo poo ton of power. The 1098 is strong too, but its not as fast in a straight line due to aero, and engine differences.

On a track, however it would be a different story.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Throttle grip stayed on well enough that I'm not messing with it and I used hairspray for that. The other one is the one I need to go pick up some grip glue for. How in the hell would tap water work?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Whiteboy posted:

Throttle grip stayed on well enough that I'm not messing with it and I used hairspray for that. The other one is the one I need to go pick up some grip glue for. How in the hell would tap water work?

It lubes it enough to let it slip on, then it dries and friction should keep it on. If your grip isn't snugger than ... (I can't think of any euphemisms that aren't horribly inappropriate) ... so snug you can hardly get it on the bars then something's wrong.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Phat_Albert posted:

The Hayabusa is really the fastest production bike. It has great aero, and makes a poo poo ton of power. The 1098 is strong too, but its not as fast in a straight line due to aero, and engine differences.

I'd imagine different gear would help, too, right (I really don't know)?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^^^^^most bikes off the showroom floor are geared stupid tall and are aero limited, not gearing limited.

Whiteboy posted:

JBWeld? Doesn't that stuff pretty much turn to concrete?

Yeah I've got to get some because I just used the air hose in my left grip and it came right off. The grip on my throttle is sticking well enough that I'm not going to mess with it.

Yeah, it does. But you just need a very small amount, anything will work that can provide temporary lube to overcome the friction. n8r's got it right though, safety wire is where it's at. I should have thought of that, I've done it plenty of times before, but never because they were moving around, just as a safety measure.

Delivery McGee posted:

Busa will be faster in a straight line in the hands of 90% of riders...it's got a longer wheelbase, a wider spread of power, and will be a lot more forgiving in terms of gear choice. The 1198R is gonna be a monster, shorter wheelbase, much lighter, much more prone to wheelies and stoppies, and a lot faster steering.

In the corners, the safe money is on the Duc, thanks to being drat near 200 pounds lighter.

You could absolutely daily drive a Ducati superbike. You'd only get one foot down at stoplights, so you'd have to be careful, but I know a number of guys who have dailied 999s, 1098s, 848s, and any other superbike you could dream of. A stoplight is the minority of your time on the motorcycle, and there's options like boots with big soles to help you reach the ground, or cutting down your seat.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Whiteboy posted:

Water works as a lubricant too.

Delivery McGee posted:

There are tons Ducatis. Are you trying to ask how riding a sport bike, super bike, or hyper sport would be like on city streets?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The seat height on monsters is pretty short. I ride a '99 M900 and can get both toes on the ground, and I'm 5'6" too. Something like an air-cooled 696 wouldn't be too bad for a beginner bike, if you don't mind paying a ridiculous amount to service it.

Edit: Decided to look it up, a 2000 M600 puts out about 51 hp with a seat height of 29 inches.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 4, 2010

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

So something odd is happening with the beemer. When I ride in the cold the turn signal kill switch stops working. Every other button works on the bike.

When I first pull out of the garage (attached to the house so it remains warmer than the outside) everything works. The other day it was 45 and the button worked when I left the house, stopped working mid ride, and when the day warmed up the button functioned again.

Any ideas? I looked at my Clymer manual for ideas but got nothing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tipped posted:

So something odd is happening with the beemer. When I ride in the cold the turn signal kill switch stops working. Every other button works on the bike.

When I first pull out of the garage (attached to the house so it remains warmer than the outside) everything works. The other day it was 45 and the button worked when I left the house, stopped working mid ride, and when the day warmed up the button functioned again.

Any ideas? I looked at my Clymer manual for ideas but got nothing.

Can you make it work or stop working by pressing on the wiring harness/etc? Sounds like an intermittent short.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Riding a Ducati superbike on the street will kill you 100% of the time.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You most definitely glue the throttle side:
http://www.renthal.com/File/grip_support.asp

It's amazing how solid a well glued/safety wire grip can feel compared to one that is not safety wired.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Stupid question, but how do you safety wire a grip?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Too lazy to re-host but this pic shows pretty well how you want to do it. This is the underside of the grip:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3445/3264310087_62e5a3d47e_b.jpg

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Time for the KLR 650 problem of the week:

I took it out for a 10 minute ride today, and at the end the bike wouldn't idle. I could hold the throttle open a fair bit and it'd keep it going. I also couldn't restart it again without going WOT. Limped it back home.

Any idea what to look for? The dash lights and tachometer were going crazy for a bit, but that was fixed from another loose cord, and I don't know if they're related.

Is it possible it's due to too much oil? I may have topped it off a bit high.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

n8r posted:

You most definitely glue the throttle side:
http://www.renthal.com/File/grip_support.asp

It's amazing how solid a well glued/safety wire grip can feel compared to one that is not safety wired.

Huh. I've helped two friends replace grips and I don't remember having to glue them. :iiam:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

On a street bike where you aren't hanging onto the bars and going WOT all the time I could see getting away without gluing grips. On a dirtbike or a track bike you need to do something to keep them from twisting around.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

n8r posted:

Too lazy to re-host but this pic shows pretty well how you want to do it. This is the underside of the grip:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3445/3264310087_62e5a3d47e_b.jpg
That really just shows the grip, and some wire, but doesn't really explain what's going on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

That really just shows the grip, and some wire, but doesn't really explain what's going on there?
Lay the safety wire over the grip, snip the ends down to an appropriate length, and the twist the ends down so that the safety wire is drawn tight into the grip. Then foldthe tail over and pound it into the grip.