Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Not very interesting: It was down to the Bridgestones or the Hankooks and I went with the RE760s.

I hope these last a lot longer than the stockers did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Frosty- posted:

I hope these last a lot longer than the stockers did.

Let me know how those go, because I want the 760s but I've been hearing real good stuff about the Hankooks. I'd love to hear a mileage update on these.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
What kind of crack is Bridgestone/Mazda smoking anyway? How are the lovely 190 treadwear rating tires that come stock supposed to cost MORE than the better RE760s?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some pics from the roof rack install using the built in mounting anchors

Click here for the full 1984x1488 image.

On another note, anyone know how to remove a silicone stain from the dash? I used that Garmin friction mount and it stained the dash. I tried scrubbing it but it's still there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Battle Cattle posted:

What kind of crack is Bridgestone/Mazda smoking anyway? How are the lovely 190 treadwear rating tires that come stock supposed to cost MORE than the better RE760s?

the same way that RE92s cost more than RE960as

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
There must be a large number of people who replace their tires with the same exact model simply because that's what came on the car. I saw $216 apiece and decided I wasn't doing that.

However; 18" wheels means you're in hell when it comes to tires no matter what. It bugs me that $151 was the cheap option but at three times the treadwear rating I feel like I should allow myself to have some hope.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Do you guys think that the extra pound per tire from the 760s will be noticeable compared to stock? (25/tire vs 24/tire)

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

I highly doubt it'll be noticeable. It seems like a negligible amount of weight. In any case my summer wheels are the 17lb Mazdaspeed/Rays numbers that each weigh like half as much as the stock wheels. Going from stockers on snows to the fancy wheels on new Bridgestones is going to be an improvement no matter what, and I'm just not going to have any recollection of what it was like last summer.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 5, 2010

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have any experience with the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires? Longest name ever, but I saw good reviews on them.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Bovine Delight posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires? Longest name ever, but I saw good reviews on them.

They're loving awesome, I use a set on my 380whp 300ZX and they grip like no one's business.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Method Loser posted:

They're loving awesome, I use a set on my 380whp 300ZX and they grip like no one's business.

How much mileage do you see out of them? Based on my experience, I wouldn't expect more than 10-15k miles before they're worn out. But grip and noise wise, they are amazing for the price.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

How much mileage do you see out of them? Based on my experience, I wouldn't expect more than 10-15k miles before they're worn out. But grip and noise wise, they are amazing for the price.

I get about 5k out of rears :v:
Maybe 12 from the fronts.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Method Loser posted:

+1 to that, they have tremendous grip. The other MS3's at the local meets have these and they're made purely for performance. I've driven the other guys cars and I do feel more confident around the turns on the Star Specs, but I wouldn't be able to tolerate the comfort/noise on a daily basis.

Also if anyone remembers that Car and Driver comparison vs the PS2's, here is the chart tallying the numbers.
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/0706c599ac2062b5edded8e6c0951cf5.pdf

I also recently heard about the Hankook Ventus R-S3's, which could be called the latest edition of the Ventus V12 Evo's. Supposed to be pretty drat good tires but may have a hard time finding them in the proper size for our car.
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-0911-hankook-ventus-rs3-tire-review/index.html

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
Well, just ordered RE760s in the stock size for $153.99/tire from Costco. Hopefully they last more than the 15k miles that the piece of poo poo stockers got.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In the past few days I've noticed my car will make a terrible noise when starting up. To me it sounds like the kind of noise something like a dying electric fan would produce. It isn't that because the sound only lasts maybe a second and then there's nothing. I'm assuming it must be this:

Mazda posted:

TSB: 01-043/07

MULTI-MODEL - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BK******742222 (produced before April 1, 2007)
2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 GG******109660 (produced before April 1, 2007)
2007 Mazda CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER******166945 (produced before April 1, 2007)

DESCRIPTION

When the engine is started, some vehicles may exhibit a loud ticking noise from the variable valve timing actuator at first start for a couple of seconds. This is caused by the lock pin of the variable valve timing actuator not fully engaging. Heat treatment has now been added around the hole of the variable valve timing rotor lock pin to prevent this from happening.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify customer concern.
2. Replace the variable valve timing actuator after the engine cools down. Refer to Workshop Manual section 01-10.
3. Do an engine flush and replace the oil filter with a new one to remove dust and metal particles from the engine.
4. Verify repair.

PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number: L3K9-12-4X0B
Description: Variable Valve Timing Actuator
Qty.: 1

WARRANTY INFORMATION

NOTE:
This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.
Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
Warranty Type: A
Symptom Code: 82
Damage Code: 9C
Part Number Main Cause: L3K9-12-4X0B
Quantity: 1
Operation Number / Labor Hours::XXC0YXRX / 3.2 Hrs. (CX-7), 3.3 Hrs. (Mazdaspeed3), 3.6 Hrs. (Mazdaspeed6)

Copyright © Mazda North American Operations
My car is in the affected range and has exhibited every single other problem for which there is a TSB, so it stands to reason. Anyone else noticed a rattle?

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 24, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hm, I haven't heard it at all on mine and I'm well within the VIN range on the MS3. Of course, I bought mine used, and I never have had a chance to go down to the dealer and get a printed record of TSBs taken care of on my car already.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Frosty, I had the same noise and I fell in the correct range for VIN and everything. I got rid of the car before it really started bothering me, but if I didn't live 65 miles from the nearest Mazda dealer, I'd have gotten it taken care of.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Has anyone heard of the TSB involving the cigarette lighters and phone chargers? My gf plugged hers in and when removing it pulled the metal part of the lighter out of the dash and then it snapped back in like a spring. Now the lights around it only light up half the circle. I looked on the mazda forums but for some reason the TSB sub-forum never updates and I only see four topics?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure if this site is totally up to date but check it out.
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/

I didn't see anything like what you said but it's a long list.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Hello everyone.

I'm looking to purchase a 2008.5 MS3. I have little experience with manuals, but I have access to several. I've heard that the MS3 manual is different than others. Fact? I'm looking for a daily driver that I can mod slightly (no rice) and autocross. This will be my first seriously fast car. My question is: Is this the car that I'm looking for? Also, is there anything that I should look for, positive or negative, in a MS3. Quirks that come with the car, good things, or things to be wary of.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Hello everyone.

I'm looking to purchase a 2008.5 MS3. I have little experience with manuals, but I have access to several. I've heard that the MS3 manual is different than others. Fact? I'm looking for a daily driver that I can mod slightly (no rice) and autocross. This will be my first seriously fast car. My question is: Is this the car that I'm looking for? Also, is there anything that I should look for, positive or negative, in a MS3. Quirks that come with the car, good things, or things to be wary of.

It's not different in any appreciable way that should make someone not overly familiar with manual transmissions wary. There's 6 speeds plus reverse, and the shift pattern may be a little different than what you may have learned to drive on, but you will figure it out in seconds. Is it the best shifter ever? No, it's a little rubbery with the stock bushings, but that's cheap and easy to fix.

Things to look for: don't buy mine? Any car you're looking at owning should hopefully have little pre-ricing done to it and be clean. Carfax etc. before you buy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The clutch on the MS3 is fickle. It's easy to let it out too quickly and stall it (my first test drive of a low-mileage '08 started with a few restarts), and at the same time if you're too slow with it trying to be smooth, it's easy to burn the clutch a bit when the revs start climbing.

Also, it will try to kill you and torque-steer you into every tree you see. This is part of the fun. :)

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Alright. Thank you! Bushings will be at the top of my list. Yeah, I've heard the torque steer can be pretty gnarly.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
A little bit of smoke on hard acceleration is normal, but watch out for oil smoke at idle. There have been reports of leaking turbo seals that make it puff a fair amount of smoke after warming up.

Also, torque steer is awesome. It's like a game!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Has anyone put bridgestone RE040s on their car? I put them on about 5000 km ago. The ones I put on are a little bit wide, 235/40r18, but they were very cheap (AU$1060) and have performed flawlessly.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

FlyingPotato posted:

Hell, I even get it a little on my Protege5. It makes me smile when it happens.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing out on when I'm driving my MS6, since it sends (some) power to the rear wheels. It's the closest to a FWD car I've ever driven for a decent length of time. No torque steer for me. :(

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

FlyingPotato posted:

A little bit of smoke on hard acceleration is normal, but watch out for oil smoke at idle. There have been reports of leaking turbo seals that make it puff a fair amount of smoke after warming up.

Okay, don't worry about the smoke. Got it. I've never had a car with torque steer, so this should be fun!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Quick Question.

Do I have to replace the whole front lower control arm to replace the ball join/bushings? That's what the FSM says...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tremek posted:

It's not different in any appreciable way that should make someone not overly familiar with manual transmissions wary. There's 6 speeds plus reverse, and the shift pattern may be a little different than what you may have learned to drive on, but you will figure it out in seconds. Is it the best shifter ever? No, it's a little rubbery with the stock bushings, but that's cheap and easy to fix.

Things to look for: don't buy mine? Any car you're looking at owning should hopefully have little pre-ricing done to it and be clean. Carfax etc. before you buy.

Speaking of bushings, anyone have recommendations? Also know if they'll void factory warranty?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Are there any good mats that will cover the back of a 2010 MS3, and if possible the seats when they are folded down?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

BexGu posted:

Are there any good mats that will cover the back of a 2010 MS3, and if possible the seats when they are folded down?

It won't cover it with the seats folded down but weathertech (https://www.weathertech.com) makes a pretty nice cargo mat.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Hello MS3/6 goons. I'm in the market for a MS3. I found an amazing 07 Grand Touring on Autotrader, 23k miles, tons of maintenance records in the Carfax, Nav ( which I hear is actually kind of awful) HIDs, the works.

Just one problem... the dealer sold it and didn't take it off of Autotrader, like two weeks later. Oh well, I'll find another.

My big question is for those of you coming from other cars, how do you deal with not having a sunroof? Is an aftermarket roof a viable option? My last 4 cars have all been VWs and I've loved them dearly. The expense of a new GTI versus a used or even new MS3 make it hard to go that route again. It would be my 3rd GTI.

The sunroof issue is just killing me.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Why is having a sunroof so essential to you?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SynMoo posted:

Hello MS3/6 goons. I'm in the market for a MS3. I found an amazing 07 Grand Touring on Autotrader, 23k miles, tons of maintenance records in the Carfax, Nav ( which I hear is actually kind of awful) HIDs, the works.

Just one problem... the dealer sold it and didn't take it off of Autotrader, like two weeks later. Oh well, I'll find another.

My big question is for those of you coming from other cars, how do you deal with not having a sunroof? Is an aftermarket roof a viable option? My last 4 cars have all been VWs and I've loved them dearly. The expense of a new GTI versus a used or even new MS3 make it hard to go that route again. It would be my 3rd GTI.

The sunroof issue is just killing me.

I had a sunroof in an older eclipse, it started to leak after I had the car for about 5 years, I vowed to not bother with another sunroof again. My 08.5 Speed3 has no sunroof and I don't miss it for a second.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I went from a Miata as a daily driver to the MS3. Not only do I not miss sunroofs (I'd rather have the headroom), I don't even miss the ragtop.

Of course, I still have the Miata so if I ever really do crave it, I can...but in that car it's mostly to get the headroom I'd never have with the roof up.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My old car didn't have a sunroof, but my MS6 does. I barely ever use it.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Are there any aftermarket companies making decent foglight replacements for the MS3? A rock decided it would be just dandy to smash all the way through my driver-side light.

Asked the dealer about replacement and (big surprise) it's loving expensive.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

CombatWombat posted:

Why is having a sunroof so essential to you?

I just enjoy having the sun and the wind etc when i'm carving through the twisties.

The same dealer has an used 09 on the lot with 10k on it. I've talked them down to $21,000. It's the Sport trim, but I was looking for the GT. I'm obviously incredibly picky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't get an aftermarket sunroof.