Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

justFaye posted:

All in all I think it is going well, but it's going to take a while to get them all fully socialized. Really can't rush these sort of things. I recommend introducing the scent of each party to the other as much as possible before doing face-to-face socialization. Perhaps you could put the rabbits elsewhere and let the cat explore whatever rabbit space they will be sharing in the future to smell everything and leave his/her own scent, so then the rabbit will smell it once returning to the area (with the cat somewhere else).

Thanks for the advice! The rabbit has calmed down about the cat smell on us, so we're going to gently progress with more cat smelly items. The vet responded to my e-mail telling us to wait at least a week and be careful about the cat around the bunny, telling us to clip the cat's nails and recommending that the cat be on a leash when they're first introduced. Frankly, I'm more worried about the rabbit attacking the cat, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
My rabbit has been racing around more lately and doing more binkies, it's awesome.

He's getting pretty old so I figured the age thing was reducing his mobility, but it's nice to see him still running around.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Purple_slug posted:

Oh umm hey! I've never, ever owned a rabbit before and neither has my roommates.. but we got one yesterday!

Congrats! Rabbits are awesome. Since you guys say you've never owned a rabbit, permit me to be a bit nosy - what sort of habitat do you guys have worked out for the rabbit? What's his diet like?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

angelicism posted:

I take a lint roller to my buns.

They hate it but half a roll of sticky paper later they've finally stopped spraying fur everywhere. For the time being.

This is genius; I just tried it and it was just the thing to grab all that loose fur near their butt. Brilliant.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Bagleworm posted:

This is genius; I just tried it and it was just the thing to grab all that loose fur near their butt. Brilliant.

If you don't have one, I highly suggest a Furminator deshedding brush. We can build another rabbit from all the loose fur this thing pulls off. Our rabbit loves brushings though, so it's very easy to use it on him.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
I just tried vaccuuming Bowser. It didn't go very well.

The Furminator works great on my cats but does nothing for Bowser. It just sort of combs all the loose fur into nice rows. Stupid silky bunny fur! :mad:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

My bun's new favorite toy is a hand towel. Before it was a piece of fabric but we took it away when he was pulling it apart and didn't know what it was made of. This one says 100% cotton, is that safe for him if he ends up chewing on it?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

CampingCarl posted:

My bun's new favorite toy is a hand towel. Before it was a piece of fabric but we took it away when he was pulling it apart and didn't know what it was made of. This one says 100% cotton, is that safe for him if he ends up chewing on it?

If he chews on it? Sure. If he ingests it? No. Any fabric can cause a bowel obstruction and kill him.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

SO. I recently adopted a little terror black lionhead and named him S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe pronounced Sammy for short). He's really adorable but not so bright. He eats random crap off of the floor to make me nervous, and this past week escaped from his cage 3 times.

Here he is burning down a house:

Here's a shot of his cage that I originally built for him:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

and his new cage:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Since he escaped from his cage a few times, his nose looks kind of strange, like he possibly cut it while escaping. Should I do anything about it? I know it's probably not safe to put neosporin on it but is there any sort of organic type of thing I could safely put on his nose?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Melicious posted:

If he chews on it? Sure. If he ingests it? No. Any fabric can cause a bowel obstruction and kill him.

Hmm, I dont think he ingests it. I'd really hate to take it away from him though. Is there anything similar I can give him that would be safe if he did ingest it?

Possibly related, he has an old phone book he digs at that I think he is may be ingesting just recently. I'm pretty sure that is safe but want to double check.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
You know, mine eats paper like it's going out of style.

Let's get people to chime in on this...is it ok to let them eat plain paper? Portia will eat about a sheet of printer paper every 2-3 days. She has plenty of fresh hay, water, greens and a good appetite but just really seems to enjoy paper. Her poop looks normal and I don't see any signs of constipation. Thoughts?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Bunway Airlines posted:

Let's get people to chime in on this...is it ok to let them eat plain paper? Portia will eat about a sheet of printer paper every 2-3 days. She has plenty of fresh hay, water, greens and a good appetite but just really seems to enjoy paper. Her poop looks normal and I don't see any signs of constipation. Thoughts?

The paper you buy for your printer is bleached and treated with lots of chemicals, you know. I can imagine if some of that stuff built up over time it could be bad for your bun.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bunway Airlines posted:

Cilantro likes to nibble on my wife's students' papers they turn in for her class. She's got no incisors so she gums them until they're soggy and then tears pieces off with her lips. :3:

We usually chase her off or move them when we notice, but she's eaten maybe a good 2 or 3 square inches at a time if left unchecked.

Before she had her teeth removed, she once ate a nice delicate pattern in my folded pay stub. :10bux::hf::3:

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'm no rabbit lover but I have a problem. My next door neighbour (UK) has a rabbit that she lets have free run of her back garden. The thing is totally unobjectionable except that it wants to eat its way through a particular part of my fence. There's a dirt patch on her side where this rabbit has scrabbled its way through to my property. All I want know is, AM I WITHIN MY RIGHTS TO GIVE THIS BUNNY A SCRATCH ON THE HEAD AND WISH IT A GOOD DAY???

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Rapacity posted:

I'm no rabbit lover but I have a problem. My next door neighbour (UK) has a rabbit that she lets have free run of her back garden. The thing is totally unobjectionable except that it wants to eat its way through a particular part of my fence. There's a dirt patch on her side where this rabbit has scrabbled its way through to my property. All I want know is, AM I WITHIN MY RIGHTS TO GIVE THIS BUNNY A SCRATCH ON THE HEAD AND WISH IT A GOOD DAY???

Haha you think it'll just sit there and take it. Good luck with that!

Seriously if you want to lure it over, have some little tidbits of dried papaya or bananas or something and you'll really make its day.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Bunway Airlines posted:

I think mine could eat a whole roll of toilet paper in a day if I let him. But I don't, because I can't imagine the bleach does a lot of good. I will however let him eat some boxes if the cardboard has little to no glue or ink or bleach in it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Paterson loves my boyfriend. I kind of hate how quickly and well they bonded. Paterson hardly lets me touch him but when the bf is over he's all headbutting him and pushing against his hand for pets. If I go over to try to pet him? We get the feet flick :gonk:

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

DS at Night posted:

I think mine could eat a whole roll of toilet paper in a day if I let him. But I don't, because I can't imagine the bleach does a lot of good. I will however let him eat some boxes if the cardboard has little to no glue or ink or bleach in it.

My first rabbit (well my parents really) ate an entire leather belt save like 4 inches of it, sans the buckle, in one night. She was a son'ofa'bitch, basically invincible.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mine's also eaten part of my shoes, however when it comes to eating leather I tend to take extra care he doesn't ingest too much.

I don't want him developing a taste for flesh.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
My vet said newsprint was actually pretty good for them, since moves through the gut and, err, all comes out in the end.

And Camille can top any "my rabbit eats crazy poo poo" story in this thread. She chewed the wings off a firefly before.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Bean posted:

My vet said newsprint was actually pretty good for them, since moves through the gut and, err, all comes out in the end.

Newsprint isn't treated with the same harsh bleaches and chemicals as white printer paper, so I imagine it's much safer in that regard. I would just be careful about offering ANY animal actual printed newspaper unless you know that your local paper uses soy-based inks.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Bean posted:

And Camille can top any "my rabbit eats crazy poo poo" story in this thread. She chewed the wings off a firefly before.
Did she catch it like a cat?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Laughing Man posted:

Did she catch it like a cat?

I would pay to see a bunny swat at bugs with their legs :xd:

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.
I have a question about owning a bunny. I've tried to read as much as possible to see if it's already answered, but this thread is really long! So if it's a repeat question, please forgive.

I know they can be trained to use a litterbox. But for instance, if I get home from work, let the bunny out to roam the apartment with me and play in another room...if it has to go to the bathroom will it get away from me and go all the way back to the other room into it's cage to use the litterbox? Or do I need to see about how often it goes to the bathroom and make sure it's gone recently before letting it out of the cage for a while? Thanks for the help from you bunny owners. I am really excited about becoming one myself soon!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Blakles posted:

But for instance, if I get home from work, let the bunny out to roam the apartment with me and play in another room...if it has to go to the bathroom will it get away from me and go all the way back to the other room into it's cage to use the litterbox?

Usually not, but what you do is, keep a couple spare litterboxes ready, and place them around the room where the rabbit is playing so that he's never far away from one. You can buy cheap plain cat litterboxes boxes for like $2 each so getting 4-5 extras is not a huge investment.

You can't just wait till he goes and then let him out, because they pretty much poop ALL THE TIME. They more or less just trickle poo out their asses non stop.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

alucinor posted:

Usually not, but what you do is, keep a couple spare litterboxes ready, and place them around the room where the rabbit is playing so that he's never far away from one. You can buy cheap plain cat litterboxes boxes for like $2 each so getting 4-5 extras is not a huge investment.

You can't just wait till he goes and then let him out, because they pretty much poop ALL THE TIME. They more or less just trickle poo out their asses non stop.

I was surprised to hear this because my bunnies are very good about going back to their cage to use the litterbox, even if they're in another room. They have never peed out of their cage and only poop out of their cage territorially.

I didn't realize this was uncommon!

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.
Wow. Bagleworm, I'm hoping your experience is the more common one and alucinor's is the exception! My husband and I have been researching and seriously considering getting an adult Holland Lop (we don't want to deal with the puberty stage).

Any one else want to chime in on their bunny's pooping habbits? I don't know if I could deal with a bunny if they "trickle poo out their asses non stop".

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
My buns weren't particularly fantastic about using their litter box at home, but now that they're spending a few months with my parents, they haven't taken a single movement outside of the litter box. Don't know what that's about.

In their case it's not so much a "constant trickle" as it is that a few spare poos will occasionally pop out.

I'd say that it's a good idea to have a few spare litter boxes around, because it will help with their training, and you won't have to worry about them finding their way back to litterbox number one.

I wouldn't worry about the spare poos that do pop out, because they are, barring any irregularities, rather small and hard. It's the straying wee-wees you want to watch out for. (But again, spare litter boxes should solve that problem)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Blakles posted:

Wow. Bagleworm, I'm hoping your experience is the more common one and alucinor's is the exception! My husband and I have been researching and seriously considering getting an adult Holland Lop (we don't want to deal with the puberty stage).

Any one else want to chime in on their bunny's pooping habbits? I don't know if I could deal with a bunny if they "trickle poo out their asses non stop".

Rabbit crap is like little dark brown marbles. Easy to clean up, you can just pick it up.

My rabbit occasionally drops a few around the places he likes to sit. It's all territorial, you can't help that. I can tell he does hop into his litterbox for the bigger bowel movements. And never ever pees outside of his box.

I think a way of having the least stray poops is not moving your furniture around much, not having friends or pets stay over for more than a day, and keeping their cage clean.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So long as your bun is healthy the rabbit poop should be firm and not-wet, and have no real smell. Best case scenario is that you have wood panel or tile flooring, so you can give the floor a good wipe after you pick it up and use it as fertilizer. Then again polished wood flooring is slippery to their fuzzy little paws and they may not like running around there.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Blakles and I got the approval of the landlord to get a bunny :unsmith:

Unfortunately, we were several hours late on the bunny we wanted. Somebody else is putting the deposit on him today. We decided to look at Lionhead rabbits instead of Lops. We found this little guy at a local breeder, but unless something falls through, the other guy will get him :smith:

We found this little guy at a different place. Waiting on a response to the email we sent:

Hope he's still available!

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Ehud posted:

We found this little guy at a local breeder

Please please please consider adopting from a rescue instead of buying from a breeder. You would probably be surprised at how many homeless rabbits there are in shelters. If you look around, you can probably find a Lionhead.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

candeh posted:

Please please please consider adopting from a rescue instead of buying from a breeder. You would probably be surprised at how many homeless rabbits there are in shelters. If you look around, you can probably find a Lionhead.

Ditto this. There are a retarded amount of Lionheads in rescue right now, because they're the goldendoodles of the rabbit world. They're new and fancy and everybody thinks they're SO CYOOTE :swoon:. Basically any cutesy breed like lops and lionheads will be heavily over-represented in rescues because people think they're adorable babies right up until they coat everything in piss and eat their hardwood floors.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

candeh posted:

That was our first idea. We looked at our local shelter and they didn't have a single rabbit. If anyone knows somewhere besides the Greenville Humane Society that is supposed to have lionhead bunnies within driving distance of Greenville, SC, we'd check em out.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 8, 2010

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

That was our first idea. We looked at our local shelter and they didn't have a single rabbit. If anyone knows somewhere besides the Greenville Humane Society that is supposed to have bunnies within driving distance of Greenville, SC, we'd check em out.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/SC134.html has 4 holland lops and a mini rex. They're less than 2 hours away.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TN559.html has a ton of lionheads, they are about 4 hours away.

This lionhead is in Wilmington NC, and she'd be willing to do a distance adoption if you'd drive to her. She may also have people willing to help with transport.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

alucinor posted:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/SC134.html has 4 holland lops and a mini rex. They're less than 2 hours away.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TN559.html has a ton of lionheads, they are about 4 hours away.

This lionhead is in Wilmington NC, and she'd be willing to do a distance adoption if you'd drive to her. She may also have people willing to help with transport.

Thanks for the links. We definitely want to do something that helps out an animal. We contacted the breeder with the white and black lionhead and found out they are moving to Virginia and are struggling to get rid of the bunnies before moving. So they've got the bunnies discounted to like $25 since they can't take them to Virginia with them and don't want to have to put them in a shelter.

But yeah, I completely understand why Pet Island has a shelter-first mentality. Hopefully this situation doesn't make any of you think less of us if we end up going with the breeder that is moving. It's still helping out an animal that is shelter bound. We anticipate needing help once we get the bunny and don't want PI upset with us!

Ehud fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 8, 2010

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
In addition, it's a bit of a drive but Charmeck Animal Control (in Charlotte, NC) is constantly overrun with rabbits. They get in a lot of lionheads and lops and we can never pull them all. (They also spay/neuter, which is awesome for a real AC).

I personally met that Lionhead in Wilmington at a rabbit adoption event 3 weeks ago, and it is an awesome sweet and :3: bunny. I was going to take one of our bunnies and try to do a switch-eroo, but I think they'd notice. :( She's truly a diva.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Bagleworm posted:

I was surprised to hear this because my bunnies are very good about going back to their cage to use the litterbox, even if they're in another room. They have never peed out of their cage and only poop out of their cage territorially.

I didn't realize this was uncommon!

+1

Mine are very good about it. I have one box in the kitchen of my three story townhouse and they never have accidents. Mine were both spayed and neutered young however and I keep the box clean with a lot of hay in it. I find that rabbits really don't get good with box habits until you make the box the place that they eat hay as well. Mine have to go inside the box to eat so they can't accidentally miss or go outside the box.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Ehud posted:

Thanks for the links. We definitely want to do something that helps out an animal. We contacted the breeder with the white and black lionhead and found out they are moving to Virginia and are struggling to get rid of the bunnies before moving. So they've got the bunnies discounted to like $25 since they can't take them to Virginia with them and don't want to have to put them in a shelter.

But yeah, I completely understand why Pet Island has a shelter-first mentality. Hopefully this situation doesn't make any of you think less of us if we end up going with the breeder that is moving. It's still helping out an animal that is shelter bound. We anticipate needing help once we get the bunny and don't want PI upset with us!

It's not about anyone here being upset with you. But the fact is that responsible breeders don't do what this breeder is doing - breeding animals with no contingency plans and no homes waiting, and then "discounting" them to get rid of them quickly. Selling this rabbit to you is most likely not their last act as a "breeder".

This does not mean that we won't try to help you with your new companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ehud posted:

PI doesn't hate breeders, it hates bad ones. Also I think in general shelters are overlooked when people think about getting a bunny for a pet. I had no clue they had rabbits in shelters before reading this thread(came for bunny pics, bunny education was an unexpected bonus). These guys just want to help you! :3: