Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Chairon posted:

Curing(In this instance) is just heating then cooling. You would get it all painted, hook it up, get it up to temp and leave it there, nice and hot for a bit, let it cool down, do it again and repeat this for whatever the paint says. It's an important step, without it the paint would start flaking off.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Dubs posted:

DN 01 is a scooter.

You have to wonder about Honda these days, when they blow their quirky wad on poo poo like the DN01 and the Rune.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gnomad posted:

You have to wonder about Honda these days, when they blow their quirky wad on poo poo like the DN01 and the Rune.

You shut your gob, the Rune is sweet. :colbert:

The Fury on the other hand ... :raise:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

You shut your gob, the Rune is sweet. :colbert:

The Fury on the other hand ... :raise:

Heresy! The Rune is a rolling monument to all the bad psychosis of the early 2000's, with the glittery massive too much is never enough design pathology, while the Fury is bike refined, distilled to the bare essence.

I still say, for a company that brought motorcycling to the casual America riding public beyond the 1%'rs, Honda has lost its way. Or maybe the public has lost its way. Honda, where is my Varedero?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
The latest issue of Motorcyclist says the Fury is actually selling really well, enough that they are coming out with three additional Fury models next year. I guess a lot of guys care about impressing random people who don't know much about bikes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Gnaghi posted:

The latest issue of Motorcyclist says the Fury is actually selling really well, enough that they are coming out with three additional Fury models next year. I guess a lot of guys care about impressing random people who don't know much about bikes.

Huh. Well I guess I was wrong about that. I figured it wouldn't catch on since a easy riding (no pun intended) chopper as pretty much an oxymoron.

but...

Gnomad posted:

Heresy! The Rune is a rolling monument to all the bad psychosis of the early 2000's, with the glittery massive too much is never enough design pathology, while the Fury is bike refined, distilled to the bare essence.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome my massive "too much is never enough" design pathology is. :haw:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't apply to helmets, bro. Exchange the full face for a little brain bucket unless you wanna look like those fags on crotch rockets.

I also wear a full face helmet and gloves on my kikker and want to make the pipe a little quieter. I think I fail at the whole "biker" thing. :(

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 6, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Why would my GSXR get 26 MPG? It has a Hindle exhaust, and not sure what the carbs are like, but it runs great and has no indication of running rich or lean.

Thing is, the first fill up it got 30 MPG, the next one got 26. I do a few full throttle accelerations and twisty roads, but I kind of expected 35+. Is this.. normal?

Edit: Last fillup 33

MrZig fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 6, 2010

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gnomad posted:

Honda, where is my Varedero?

In Canada, at the special dealers.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

MrZig posted:

Why would my GSXR get 26 MPG? It has a Hindle exhaust, and not sure what the carbs are like, but it runs great and has no indication of running rich or lean.

Thing is, the first fill up it got 30 MPG, the next one got 26. I do a few full throttle accelerations and twisty roads, but I kind of expected 35+. Is this.. normal?

Edit: Last fillup 33

GSXR what?

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

She was your regular kinda dame.. Then she put me into a deep beta freeze..
Soooo it looks like my bike (Honda CB750 C, if it matters) is spurting out gas from the overflow tubes any time I'm on the accelerator. The tank isn't full at all and I have no clue what it would be. Any ideas?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
OK, need some advice:

1) Bike: 1980 Honda CB650. Problem: Won't charge the battery.

2) I got stranded about 50 miles from home yesterday, had to get a tow. Brought the battery inside and gave it a full charge. It rides fine as is, as long as I take the battery out at night and hook up my charger to it.

3) Checked grounds and fuses, everything seems fine there.

4) The real mystery: I replaced the regulator/rectifier with another unit that came with the bike (got a bunch of extra electrical parts included when I bought it). As soon as I turned it on, smoke started billowing out of the housing where the alternator lives. Turned it off, switched back to the old regulator/rectifier, and no smoke from the alternator housing.

5) What the gently caress?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Jack the Smack posted:

GSXR what?

D'oh. 1989 GSXR 750.

I may have found the reason. It's using oil at a rate of 3/4 a quart every 500 KM, and when I shift it at higher RPM's I notice a distinct puff of blue smoke come out of the tail pipe. This isn't good.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

MrZig posted:

D'oh. 1989 GSXR 750.

I may have found the reason. It's using oil at a rate of 3/4 a quart every 500 KM, and when I shift it at higher RPM's I notice a distinct puff of blue smoke come out of the tail pipe. This isn't good.

A blue flame is a sign of oil burning. Sadly it sounds like a top end engine rebuild may be needed, those seals are decades old and will need replacement.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Mr Yuck posted:

Soooo it looks like my bike (Honda CB750 C, if it matters) is spurting out gas from the overflow tubes any time I'm on the accelerator. The tank isn't full at all and I have no clue what it would be. Any ideas?

check the float bowl, float needle. could have something in it, could be misadjusted or stuck.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

MrKatharsis posted:

OK, need some advice:

4) The real mystery: I replaced the regulator/rectifier with another unit that came with the bike (got a bunch of extra electrical parts included when I bought it). As soon as I turned it on, smoke started billowing out of the housing where the alternator lives. Turned it off, switched back to the old regulator/rectifier, and no smoke from the alternator housing.

You may have already let the magic smoke out and your alternator is now empty. There are people here who can guide you through the process of adding the new wire containing the smoke, but anythime the magic smoke gets out, that is a bad thing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MrKatharsis posted:

OK, need some advice:

1) Bike: 1980 Honda CB650. Problem: Won't charge the battery.

2) I got stranded about 50 miles from home yesterday, had to get a tow. Brought the battery inside and gave it a full charge. It rides fine as is, as long as I take the battery out at night and hook up my charger to it.

3) Checked grounds and fuses, everything seems fine there.

Hmmm. See if you can find a place to test your battery. It might just be a bad battery.

I'd also invest in a multimeter (:10bux:) and ensure that your regulator / rectifier is working properly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Oh poo poo, forgot my won question:

Are motorcycle shocks really, really hard to compress? Or do I need new ones?

I changed the bushing on one of the shocks and I couldn't compress the shock enough to get it back on the bike. I had to do some really scary poo poo with a car jack (yes, I need a bike jack, but regardless) in order to get the wheel to drop enough that I could compress it about 1 mm, which is all I can manage to do. Even with the thing off the bike and me putting all my weight on it, I couldn't make it compress like I can car shocks.

So, is there a trick (short of putting it on a lift) or a tool I can do to the other one, or do I need to replace them?

Another clue may be that I can't seem to adjust the preload on them, so maybe they're just all hosed up. I have the tool, but no amount of muscle will budge the fuckers.

('99 Valkyrie Interstate)

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I want to start doing my own maintenance. I don't have any mechanical experience. Is there a good book to get me started on understanding how a bike works, and how to troubleshoot common issues?

I have a maintenance manual for my bike, but I need something more basic. For example, I don't really know what carbs do.

orthod0ks fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 8, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

orthod0ks posted:

I want to start doing my own maintenance. I don't have any mechanical experience. Is there a good book to get me started on understanding how a bike works, and how to troubleshoot common issues?

I have a maintenance manual for my bike, but I need something more basic. For example, I don't really know what carbs do.

Manuals made by Haynes or Clymer are dead-easy to use even with no mechanical experience. As far as a general overview of how bikes work, there's always https://www.howstuffworks.com but the best idea is to just read up on forums and stuff. Last year I knew nothing about bikes and reading the forum here helped a great deal. Having people describe their problems and how they fixed them really helps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh poo poo, forgot my won question:

Are motorcycle shocks really, really hard to compress? Or do I need new ones?

I changed the bushing on one of the shocks and I couldn't compress the shock enough to get it back on the bike. I had to do some really scary poo poo with a car jack (yes, I need a bike jack, but regardless) in order to get the wheel to drop enough that I could compress it about 1 mm, which is all I can manage to do. Even with the thing off the bike and me putting all my weight on it, I couldn't make it compress like I can car shocks.

So, is there a trick (short of putting it on a lift) or a tool I can do to the other one, or do I need to replace them?

Another clue may be that I can't seem to adjust the preload on them, so maybe they're just all hosed up. I have the tool, but no amount of muscle will budge the fuckers.

('99 Valkyrie Interstate)

They'll be difficult, but they shouldn't be impossible. Could the threads of the preload adjuster be messed up?

And it sounds like the shocks are somehow screwed up...they shouldn't be that difficult to compress, even on a bigass touring bike.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

They'll be difficult, but they shouldn't be impossible. Could the threads of the preload adjuster be messed up?

And it sounds like the shocks are somehow screwed up...they shouldn't be that difficult to compress, even on a bigass touring bike.

:sigh: That's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately it'll be a while until I replace them since even aftermarkets are retardedly expensive. :smithicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If they're still off the bike, I'd try pulling the springs and seeing how bad they are. I suppose if the bike is heavy enough you may not be able to compress them by hand...most of mine would compress at least a little, but I've never dealt with a big touring bike shock before, the ZZR is only 600 pounds.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
I was at the autoparts store recently and came across something called liquid gasket. I was wondering, is this a suitable replacement for something like a cut rubber gasket I would buy from bikebandit, or is it used as a supplement?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyone know an online tire store that will do cheap shipping to (or within) Canada?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Anyone know an online tire store that will do cheap shipping to (or within) Canada?

SWMototires will ship to canada, but I'm not sure if it'll be expensive or not.

Also, have you considered your local dealership? Some of the local dealerships do tires at cost...I picked up a rear dunlop D606 for 70$, which is 15-30$ cheaper than I could find it anywhere else.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was going to ask where I could find a POR15 tank repair kit in Toronto or Guelph, but looks like I found the answer myself online.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

where are you located? Rider's Choice in Toronto used to do untouchable deals on tires but I don't think they ship.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

ari.gato posted:

I was at the autoparts store recently and came across something called liquid gasket. I was wondering, is this a suitable replacement for something like a cut rubber gasket I would buy from bikebandit, or is it used as a supplement?

I've used that stuff in place of the valve cover gasket on my old truck and it worked fine. However, that was a 22re, so I probably could have used Elmer's glue and never known the difference.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Phy posted:

Yes. From Quebec, extremely cheap tires & shipping.

http://www.petes-superbike.com/

Highly reccomended.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

So my CBR 600 F2 is acting funny. First, details on the bike: it's a 1994, 10k miles, everything seems in okay condition. I bought it about a month ago.

First problem is, it's hard to start. It's running an aftermarket exhaust and it's definitely running lean. To get it to start, I have to give it WOT while cranking with full choke and usually it'll start within 15 seconds or so. However, some mornings, even warm ones, it'll nearly run my battery down before starting. Also, it does this weird thing where once it starts, it only runs at idle with WOT for about 20 seconds (if I let off the throttle it'll die), and then eventually it'll rev up and I can warm it up normally with no throttle from there. Again, this seems independent of outside temperature.

Secondly, I know cam-chains are a popular fix for this bike. Mine doesn't make any cam-chain noise when I warm it up from being cold and run it, but if I turn it off, and then turn it back on while it's still warm, it'll make a pretty annoying clacking sound which I'm guessing is the cam-chain for about a minute before it goes away and everything's back to normal.

Edit: Even the cranking is weird. If I push the starter with no throttle, it'll crank and turn over the engine for a few seconds, but then the engine won't want to turn over until I give it throttle.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 9, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ari.gato posted:

It's supposed to be used as a supplement unless a job specifically calls for it (like in some car differentials that don't have gaskets). Personally if there's a gasket available, I'd just use that.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

First problem is, it's hard to start. It's running an aftermarket exhaust and it's definitely running lean. To get it to start, I have to give it WOT while cranking with full choke and usually it'll start within 15 seconds or so. However, some mornings, even warm ones, it'll nearly run my battery down before starting. Also, it does this weird thing where once it starts, it only runs at idle with WOT for about 20 seconds (if I let off the throttle it'll die), and then eventually it'll rev up and I can warm it up normally with no throttle from there. Again, this seems independent of outside temperature.

Sounds like the classic 'carbs need cleaning/balancing' too me. Had similar issues with my Katana. Try the seafoam route first then depending on the mods that have been done by the exhaust you may want to have a balancing done.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Werds

If you were having a carb problem it wouldn't go away after the bike was started/warmed up. Have you taken the battery out and had it tested/made sure it was fully charged? Normally four stroke engines don't like being given gas when they are started.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ari.gato posted:

I did use it to replace a gasket on my girlfriend's $700 Honda Elite 80 scooter. It did the job great and the scooter never had any problems. Would I use it on anything more expensive that had an easily available rubber gasket? Probably not.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

n8r posted:

If you were having a carb problem it wouldn't go away after the bike was started/warmed up. Have you taken the battery out and had it tested/made sure it was fully charged? Normally four stroke engines don't like being given gas when they are started.

I had to get a new battery for the bike, so that's not a factor. The charging system works, etc. I suspect that the exhaust is making the bike run lean. Would that cause it to want throttle while being cranked?

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

n8r posted:

It did on mine. Wasn't that the carbs were clogged though. The mods (and god knows what else the PO had messed with) made to the bike messed up the ratios and made it hard to start. Once it got going and warmed up it would run fine although; as it turns out after having a jet kit done, that it now has way more power.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

So my CBR 600 F2 is acting funny. First, details on the bike: it's a 1994, 10k miles, everything seems in okay condition. I bought it about a month ago.

Secondly, I know cam-chains are a popular fix for this bike. Mine doesn't make any cam-chain noise when I warm it up from being cold and run it, but if I turn it off, and then turn it back on while it's still warm, it'll make a pretty annoying clacking sound which I'm guessing is the cam-chain for about a minute before it goes away and everything's back to normal.

Edit: Even the cranking is weird. If I push the starter with no throttle, it'll crank and turn over the engine for a few seconds, but then the engine won't want to turn over until I give it throttle.

There's definitely something wrong with the fueling on the bike...You shouldn't have to give it wot while cranking to get it to run, I've seen some really stupid poo poo done in order to get around carb problems, like opening the sync adjusters on the 2 carbs with clogged pilot jets all the way out to get the thing to idle. :downs:

Sounds like you need the carbs cleaned, and gone through.

Also, my F2 makes a relatively loud rattle at when it's just starting up and at low throttle openings until it picks up some RPM. It's got a properly adjusted manual CCT as well, so it's not that, I think they're just kinda noisy at low RPM.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I had to get a new battery for the bike, so that's not a factor. The charging system works, etc. I suspect that the exhaust is making the bike run lean. Would that cause it to want throttle while being cranked?

You have a new battery but you've cranked with it a bunch and almost drained the battery. Maybe when you first got the bike the gas was a bit old or something - who knows. Bike charging systems are generally pretty crappy and won't recharge a battery very well if you get it close to drained. Charge the thing and put it in, mess around starting it with a shut throttle but at different choke positions. In my experience messed up carbs have other effects beyond just difficulty starting. You may have some plugs that are pretty borderline as well. Pulling carbs out of that bike will be a bit of work and I'd try the easy solutions first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Wondering about tires. The PO of my bike did just about everything on the cheap. :argh:

My mechanic has informed me that my current tires suffer this same condition so I am wondering: whats the difference? They feel as good as any other tires I have ever had on both dry and wet conditions in my opinion. No wobble or balance issues. Length of life perhaps? Uneven wear? Thoughts?