Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Curse of Recklessness was such a terrible idea, I'm amazed it took them so long to remove. I don't think I saw anyone use that spell for anything but griefing.

Edit: Oh poo poo new page. Uh.

In the Warcraft 3 mod DoTA (this probably works in HoN too) you can buy a courier. The courier is a cheap, 200 gold unit that only exists to haul around items for you. It has no way of defending itself, and only 200 odd health.

The character Tiny has an ability where he could toss either allied or enemy units at the enemy, to inflict damage to both the person tossed, and the enemies he hit.

Buy nothing but couriers and use them to toss at people. Both the enemy and allied teams get mad! Allied because you're basically worthless and stealing their kills, and enemy because you're killing them. With couriers.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Man that would be terrible.

Terrible.

On the other hand, I would love to hear that 11 year old with windows 98 and a 56k connection cry while I hotdrop reavers onto his ever-so-overdone gang of harvesting drones/scvs/probes. :smug:

I think Starcraft 2 has voicechat...

Then again, rage through text (I just got called... a "fckin cheaterbaby") is bloody awesome.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

The Supreme Court posted:

I think Starcraft 2 has voicechat...

Then again, rage through text (I just got called... a "fckin cheaterbaby") is bloody awesome.

I wish I was good enough in Starcraft to make people rage. :(

Although it does make other people rage when I do 2v2 and suck poo poo with some random teammate.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Endorph posted:

Curse of Recklessness was such a terrible idea, I'm amazed it took them so long to remove. I don't think I saw anyone use that spell for anything but griefing.
Actually CoR is a really useful spell in a lot of situations, and (at least when I was still playing,) in a large raid it would give a much higher ROI (dps-wise) than a damage over time curse, since the amount of armor class it reduced would give melee classes a large boost and most raid bosses' damage output calculations don't gain such a boost against a raid-geared Tank with dedicated healers when compared to the huge bump in strength that a murlock would gain from 100 Attack power.

And yeah, the fear immunity was one of the best parts of loving with people via Curse of Recklessness, since a great number of classes didn't really have any way to get monsters off of themselves except with fear. :D

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

5v3c compstomps without ally victory was probably the funniest thing in StarCraft since it essentially began a crazy witch-hunt every time the game didn't end.

What I remember most about those was everyone building 50 million carriers/cruisers/guardians no matter how weak the computer opponents were, just to be falsely secure from traitors.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Actually CoR is a really useful spell in a lot of situations, and (at least when I was still playing,) in a large raid it would give a much higher ROI (dps-wise) than a damage over time curse
Vanilla raiding was basically just blizzard griefing your entire guild.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

coyo7e posted:

Actually CoR is a really useful spell in a lot of situations, and (at least when I was still playing,) in a large raid it would give a much higher ROI (dps-wise) than a damage over time curse, since the amount of armor class it reduced would give melee classes a large boost and most raid bosses' damage output calculations don't gain such a boost against a raid-geared Tank with dedicated healers when compared to the huge bump in strength that a murlock would gain from 100 Attack power.
It's sentences like these that make me glad I never got into MMOs.
I really didn't understand more than a few words of that. :(

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better

Vib Rib posted:

The armor the boss would lose made the physical attackers do more extra damage than using your own damage spell would have done.

lovely level 3 enemies get more out of an 100 attack power bonus than a boss that takes 25 people to kill, thus giving level 3 players quite a shock when they lose 1/3 of their life every time the crab pinches them. :)

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Squirl posted:

The armor the boss would lose made the physical attackers do more extra damage than using your own damage spell would have done.

lovely level 3 enemies get more out of an 100 attack power bonus than a boss that takes 25 people to kill, thus giving level 3 players quite a shock when they lose 1/3 of their life every time the crab pinches them. :)

There was one boss where you could grief the entire raid over Curse of Recklessness though. Broodlord Lashlayer in Blackwing's Lair.

One of his instant attacks was calculated by a multiplicative value of his attack power, and giving him an extra 100 or so would translate into massive hits on your main tanks in a very short time, often times wiping out your tanks for the fight. Causing all 40 people to have to run through a gauntlet of respawning enemies and traps that make everyone walk slower. That part blew so much back in the day.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I used to play Rainbow six 3 Raven Shield quite a bit, and got pretty good at it. So to keep things interesting I'd come up with the funniest possible ways to kill people.

There was a map called Peaks, it was a classic snipers map, with snow, a few obstacles, long open distances, some hills, and that was about it. It boiled down to two sides of the map where teams would have sniping duels, until one side over powered the other and was able to get to the other side and hit the other enemies from behind.

I would do one of two things that would just piss people off, 1.) I wouldn't use a sniper rifle, or assault rifle, instead I'd just use an M1 shotgun with slugs. When I first started doing this it pissed my team off, they heard the pump shotgun go off, and would instantly get pissed that I was using such a poor choice of weaponry. That is until I got really good at it, then it started pissing the other team off. As they could hear what gun was shooting them, and if they didn't my name "M1SLUGMASTER" would tell them.

My other "grief" would be to use items that were not used very often on that map, most specifically c4. You could plant c4 anywhere on the ground, and remote detonate it from a safe location. Now I wouldn't hide in the cabin and c4 the entrance, I would put C4 out in the middle of the open field, in the dumbest places. And then watch from afar as my outnumbered team slowly lost their lives. Then as an enemy is searching for me they'd get inexplicably blown up in the open field. This was hard to pull off, but would just absolutely enrage people, on both teams. When someone is camping on a server, people would start being really careful about going into buildings and doorways in case of c4. But they NEVER check the ground on peaks, ever.

The other thing in that game that was hilarious was heartbeat pucks. There was a heartbeat sensor that people could put in their inventories, and they would use it normally to find where the last members of the opposing team were hiding. Now you could also equip heartbeat pucks, that would put out a false heartbeat signal, this was great for setting up elaborate traps. In raven shield it was pretty easy to just hide out in a secluded place and be the last man standing on your team, so I'd throw out heartbeat pucks in "usual" hiding spots, and then sit in an unusual hiding spot with a heartbeat jammer at my feet. On some maps there were rooms that people would not go into unless they saw a heartbeat in it. It was hilarious listening to footsteps of the enemies setting up to assault a heartbeat puck in an empty room. This method of drawing out the rounds to the full time limit would just make people so angry.

My best ever trap was on a map called Import/Export. From the red side, there is a two story building by the spawn that's very good for camping as some parts of it are almost impossible to hit with grenades. And there's also some really dumb alleyways no one ever checks in by the spawn. So I threw two HB pucks up there, along with C4 behind one of the doors and waited from across the street in the alley way. They never checked where I was because no one ever sits there, so took out their HBS and saw someone was upstairs!! Three of them rushed into the room to take me out and were all consumed by my glorious c4 trap. The fourth, and last player on their team saw that his team got killed in that room, so naturally he thought that's where I was. He slowly and cautiously made his way up the stairs, where he was shot from behind by me. The fact that there was no kill cam makes these traps all more hilarious, as a lot of times the other team still believes that you are in that room after they have been C4ed. Meaning they'll do the exact same thing next round.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

WoW is really quite simple, if you've ever been turned off from it by some sort of perceived difficulty.

But eh, end of derail.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I used to play Aces High II, an online WW2 MMO where you dogfight, go on bombing runs, etc. Basically its filled with older gents who have read every dogfight book, studied schematics and will generally fly with "HONOR". Honor in this game is not vulching (strafing planes that are just taking off or landing), head-on passes, stealing kills, crashing into other planes and camping vehicle spawns. All of the above are easy to do and can generally be done accidentally or for a tactic advantage to take an airfield - except one.

See in Aces High II, shooting down a plane would give you perk points. You use these perk points to fly rare airplanes like the Me-262. You are given a "kill" if your adversary crashes after you damage him, make him explode or he bails out of his airplane. Generally you're useless if you bail out as a chute and sometimes you might be able to take someone down with you. Assists on planes only get you a percentage of the perk point. Many of these guys try to get a bunch of kills so that when they land, in the text bar it'll say CAPTAIN NAZI LANDS 5 KILLS IN A 109 that is shown to all players. Name in lights sort of thing.

After playing for years I started to hate the game. Hate the people playing it, hate the graphics, the lovely system it uses for its servers, etc. I learned that you get the kill on an airplane if you give it the most damage, not if you sheered a wing off or wounded the pilot. I started to follow some of the top pilots.

At first it seemed like an accident. A plane with half a wing heading down to crash and it looked like it had both wings on it, so I pumped it full of 20mm cannon. Then saw the limping bomber belly-landing...so I strafed it. I started lighting up any wounded fighter that had definitely been taken care of and stole the kills.

You can't be kicked for it, you don't get banned for it, you just get called an rear end in a top hat, a jerk, etc. Threads get made about you, people start avoiding you, telling you to leave the arena, you get the idea.

Telling them Chuck Yeager did it in WW2 and that it was a viable tactic definitely would set them off.

I got a few challenges for 1v1's because of my escapades, honor and all that poo poo. Well I wasn't one to turn down chances like this. I'd tell them sure, meet me there at 9PM. We'll meet at 15,000ft. I wouldn't show up. Screw that, I got kills to be stealing!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But if it's a WW2 dogfight sim, why can't you suicide into people? Did they ignore the japanese kamikaze pilots?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

But if it's a WW2 dogfight sim, why can't you suicide into people? Did they ignore the japanese kamikaze pilots?

Kamikaze wouldn't be wasted on such an insignificant target as a fighter plane. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Orange Mage posted:

Kamikaze wouldn't be wasted on such an insignificant target as a fighter plane. :colbert:
But what if the war was fought only with fighter planes and bombers? :goonsay:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Endorph posted:

WoW is really quite simple, if you've ever been turned off from it by some sort of perceived difficulty.
Not difficulty, just that any high-end content seems to degrade into a slew of spreadsheets.

Also that heartbeat monitor stuff is hilarious and I've never even played Rainbow Six. The idea of some guy stalking into a room carefully after clearing the exits only to find it empty, then still having to do the same thing on the next room, just brings to mind a whole new level of frustration.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Recently in Minecraft I've been deleting a massive chunk of land below peoples stuff when they are inside / not paying attention. I keep the entirety of their stuff intact, they just came back to a giant crater.

One guy was building some shack ontop of a hill for a while. The trick is to start from the inside and work your way out so they can't tell you're eating away at the foundation. He said he was going to eat dinner or something so I sprung into action. A short time later his house was floating a good 50 feet in the air with the hill it was on missing.

Also hollowing out massive chunks of the underground so if anyone dares to dig 1 space down they'll just fall into a big rear end hole.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

slovach posted:

Recently in Minecraft

I thought Minecraft would be fun to grief but I didn't really have any ideas after this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Blarticus posted:

I thought Minecraft would be fun to grief but I didn't really have any ideas after this:

Neither does anybody else, on most servers.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CPColin posted:

Neither does anybody else, on most servers.

Back when your hacked client worked and people could replace blocks with air clientside, I hosed with a fair few people. The thing with replacing blocks with this client is that it only happens client side, so I could "replace" blocks with air that I could walk through, but everyone else would just see a wall. I found an underground room that people were working on in some server and started deleting blocks on a 3x3 floor space in the room. No admins were on to check who was doing it, and this was when hacks were still a novel concept, so after a while of fruitlessly trying to fill in this 3x3 space and having it repeatedly deleted, they just assumed the map was glitched.

Beyond that, though, the only griefing you can do in minecraft is delete random poo poo (overdone), make swastikas (overdone), or piss people off by talking a lot (surprisingly easy).

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 10, 2010

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Besides, wrecking someone's house or pixel art in Minecraft is about as entertaining to read about as "I shot my own teammate in Counterstrike".

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
How to piss off your faction and make friends with the enemy in WoW:

1: Buy yourself a set of humble looking civilian clothes. One of those Indian Jones style leather hats can really pull this look together.

2: Equip them and join WSG. Enable walk mode and take a leisurely stroll to the horde base, ignoring any fighting.

3: For added effect, spam /mourn as you go. If attacked, be sure to /cower.

Alternately, equip a full set of level 60 PvP gear and feign obliviousness in the newer battlegrounds. Constantly demand to know what year it is.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hobo Siege posted:

Alternately, equip a full set of level 60 PvP gear and feign obliviousness in the newer battlegrounds. Constantly demand to know what year it is.

Bonus points for full blue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bonus bonus points for making a back to the future reference.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

In the original Starcraft, I began griefing at a young age in the 7v1 or 6v2 comp stomp maps. You may know them as vile dens of treachery, intrigue, and backstabbing hilarity. What you originally thought was going to be an easy win turns into a prolonged diplomatic debacle, as each player forms factions and accuses the others of backstabbing.

I took advantage of this hostile environment at age 11 or 12, and while I didn't always turn off Allied Victory and plunge the game into an endless shithole, I certainly enjoyed it when it did.

The game begins by everyone dogpiling the computer, who is easily killed. Theoretically everyone now wins and can go home. Unfortunately it usually became a huge arms race and build up because one person had disabled the win condition and stalemated the game. Everyone began to build up to protect themselves from the traitors.

When this happened, I would usually not bother to build up, I would instead try to piss off the other players until they started killing each other or me.

My tactics:

Marine Congo Line: I built a large number of basic infantry units and tell them to follow each other in a daisy chain formation, and then parade them around the map.

Beer Depots: I built as many Supply Depots as possible all over the map, especially in allied bases, and told everyone they dispensed beer. Bonus points for blocking critical points or having paranoid allies destroy the harmless buildings for no reason.

USS Enterprise: I float an (or multiple) Engineering Bay (defenseless building with the ability to float) around the map and roleplay the voyage of the USS Enterprise. Sometimes I would even hide Medics underneath it to provide harmless special effects such as "Fire Phasers! (optical flare) and "Teleport!" (restoration)
These usually got shot down by pissed off people.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
That kind of reminds me of a story I had from WoW. In vanilla there was a quest that gave you an item that turns you into a Furbolg, you were supposed to cast the item and "sneak" into some furbolg base to finish the quest, but the quest wasn't any part of a major chain so we just ignored the completion and kept the item.

Eventually when WSG was introduced, me and a friend would go in, cast furbolg spells on ourselves and, if we could, grab the Enrage pickup because it made you like 50% larger and we'd run to the enemy base. Being part of a rather small server and part of one of the biggest/"best" alliance guilds a lot of the bigger/"best" horde guilds knew us and talked on vent quite often. So we'd set up little "escort" missions where our well-geared, horde buddies would absolutely stomp our teammates while escorting giant Furbolgs across the stage.

We were both rogues, so if we every got into a map without horde buddies, we'd furbolg ourselves and stealth around the map ambushing people. You could attack with the spell active and it wouldn't dispel, only if you got hit would it go away. But 2 high-powered ambushes and/or a cheapshot with furbolgs wildly swinging flaming daggers was hilarious, and there was rarely anything they could do that would dispel our disguises.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
The Second Life stuff in this thread looks hilarious, I tried it myself but it was a little confusing. Basically I would love if someone could write out the easiest way to become one of those giant spiders, is that free? I love the idea of just wandering about bothering people as one.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Back in the day I used to play this game Graal Online. It was pretty much an MMO zelda clone run on player created content. Since new stuff was being created and found all the time it made it a prime ground for griefing.

My most memorable moment was when I used flawed level design combined with general stupidity to lock hordes of people in a room. Basically there was a player house known as the Jesus Freaks hangout, it was nothing spectacular as the only things to note in it were that it had an interactive tennis (pong) court in it, a decorative prayer room, and it was flagged as a no-pk zone (meaning you couldn't damage other players and sword/item keys were locked out.

Now the prayer room caught my eye as there was only one door to get in/out of and it was only big enough for a single character to fit through at a time. Combined with the no-pk nature of the house you could stand there all day and not be knocked out of the way.

After testing my theory with some guildmates I found that it worked perfectly with an added bonus, when new players came into the the room it usually took a few seconds for the client to syncronize player positions and collision detection meaning that I could stand in the doorway and players could walk right by me but couldn't get out after the level completely loaded.

Theory tested I sent my broadcast, "New Heart container found, bring 10,000 rupees to the jesus freak's prayer room and say 'heart' while standing against the back wall". Several people called me on my bullshit but after having a few friends and guildmates backing me up we started to get a steady flow of people showing up. As I stood there in the doorway I tried to keep leading them on telling them that lag is messing up the scripts or that they were standing in the wrong place. Eventually some got bored and tried to leave and were shocked to realize that they were trapped. When they asked me to move I just turned on an AFK emote and refused to reply back, my private message notifications pretty much exploded and the whole room was burning with pubbie hatred as they could neither hit me nor use items like the warp ring to get out. Even while this was happening some people who were showing up late were still trickling through the door all the while people were screaming at them to stop and that it was a trap.

Eventually a GM got called and they demanded that I be banned for this. The majority of GMs on this game were notoriously lazy or didn't give a gently caress and technically I wasn't breaking any rules so the only response the GM gave was, "There is an 'unstick me' command, use it". the room of crybabies suddenly shut up to queue up to be unstuck since it requires you to not move or speak for 30 seconds in order to work. An unintended side effect of this was that unlike the warp rings the unstick me command places you in the game's first non tutorial zone. Coincidentally this was also one of the biggest killing ground for pkers in the game, meaning every person who used the unstick me command ended up being killed during the zone loading or even being hunted down if they managed to load fast enough, ensuring that they lost all the money that they brought with them for the "Quest" upon death.

I did this a couple more times over a series of weeks and every time people would still fall for it up until I realized that the jesus freak's house was listed the level update log. Lo' and Behold a teleport panel was added to the corner of the room along with a sign explaining how to get out if you are trapped. For the remaining time that I played that game I took pride in the fact that a level had to be altered because of my actions.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KGBAgent185 posted:

There was one boss where you could grief the entire raid over Curse of Recklessness though. Broodlord Lashlayer in Blackwing's Lair.

One of his instant attacks was calculated by a multiplicative value of his attack power, and giving him an extra 100 or so would translate into massive hits on your main tanks in a very short time, often times wiping out your tanks for the fight. Causing all 40 people to have to run through a gauntlet of respawning enemies and traps that make everyone walk slower. That part blew so much back in the day.
I posted an account of what happened to my guild during a raid in BWL, earlier in this thread. The hijinx ensued inside "the loving whelp room," and maybe part of the guild leader's reaction was due to the stress of the whelps. Or not. :laugh:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post346336089

fakeedit: I seem to've mixed up the zone names in my original post, oh well. BRS and BWL's entrances were so close together that I always mix them up these days.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm constantly furious playing EvE online. You guys were right.

loving gatecamps :argh:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

coyo7e posted:

I posted an account of what happened to my guild during a raid in BWL, earlier in this thread. The hijinx ensued inside "the loving whelp room," and maybe part of the guild leader's reaction was due to the stress of the whelps. Or not. :laugh:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post346336089

fakeedit: I seem to've mixed up the zone names in my original post, oh well. BRS and BWL's entrances were so close together that I always mix them up these days.

Technically Blackwing's Lair is contained within Blackrock Spire, but that's semantics. They did away with the whole, have to clear an instance halfway before you can zone into a raid before they implemented that raid.

This isn't the WoW forum though, so a griefing post:

Um... In college, my roommate was horrid at Counter-Strike, and my buddy down the hall once had me go over there to fight my roommate and one of his buddy's in 2v2. I kept hearing from down the hall "This is bullshit, gently caress that headshot was total luck" while my buddy next to me goes "Dude, I told you, shoot at his feet, let him win a few."

My only response, a bit too loud "I'm trying, but the AK kicked and randomly hit him in the head, I can't try to lose any harder without it being obvious!"

My roommate didn't play CS with us for 2 weeks after that.

Not a very good griefing story, but it's all I got. Almost every game I play multi-player I'm either lovely at, or the creative griefing I see is just too genius to rip off (TF2).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Playing CS is great for "griefing". A lot of it isn't really griefing but more of just dumb luck making other people frustrated. One of my friends has some pretty bad luck in CS, I swear. One day on aim_ak_colt he got headshotted all the way across the map by someone who was really bad as that person was standing up from crouch and starting to run. The bullets went middle of the map, my friend's head, sky.

Another time, on dust2, my friend was AWPing mid from the boxes by the top of the ramp and I rushed into mid as CT with just a deagle. I heard him miss me so as I ran into the door, I just turned 90 degrees, fired one shot full on running, and ran into lower B. It was so random I didn't even realize I killed him until I heard him yelling over Vent about how incredibly random and unlucky that was. I could only laugh because I just fired one shot and it was so quick that I didn't even see what I shot (at) on my screen.

Spamming spam spots on train, nuke, etc was so much fun when you know the spots to spam and the other players don't realize they're spam spots. But I guess that doesn't truly qualify as griefing.

Using x-spectate while at a LAN was pretty fun, though. Kind of weird though because there's sort of a half second of lag (even though it's on LAN). Still fun though.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Actually speaking of TF2, I just remembered a little grief I occasionally do every now and then.

When you're a spy class disguised as an enemy, you are randomly assigned a name from the enemy team so that when enemies mouse over you, they think you are that person. Sometimes though the actual person with that name might spot you and you'd get caught out.

Because of this, people are really jumpy when they see someone with the exact same name as them who is also the same class since they'll think they're an enemy spy. Now if you try to change your name to one that already exists in game, it'll be proceeded with a number on the end, but this is easily avoided by adding a trailing space on the end of the name.

It's just a matter of changing your name to theirs, changing to the same class as them and then standing in front of them for a little while. Once they have your attention, they'll usually call out "Spy!" thinking you're an enemy spy and start chasing/shooting at you, wondering why none of their shots are doing damage. Once they figure out what's going on though, most of them are good sports about it, but a few times I've had people getting very distraught at what's just happened, screaming into their mics and and saying "you'll be VAC banned for stealing my name!"

One time I happened to be doing this to someone who again started threatening to get me VAC banned while I responded in text chat with "<their name> : im gay" every time they said something which led to them getting very angry over the mic. A couple other people who were already in game actually started playing pre-recorded voice clips of the same guy I happened to be griefing getting angry at other people, calling them immature or whatever which sent him into further rage until he eventually quit the server. It was a pretty surreal experience, griefing someone only to have two have strangers on the internet start griefing the same person with stuff they'd prepared earlier.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Having just gotten access to a PS3 again, I had forgotten how easy it is to grief people in Home. Just find someone with the fanciest clothes that is having a conversation with someone and stand next to them. Helps if you've made a horrifying gargoyle of a character. They get irrationally angry that you're "eavesdropping."

Case in point, I did this to some guy wearing a dumb looking, but clearly expensive, angel outfit chatting with some "girl." I was using my homeless Lyle Lovett outfit, and the guy was typing at me in all caps to go away and talking about these damned "home noobs." Apparently he reported me, saying "the next time he logs in he'll be banned." For what I don't know.

Edit: I was not banned.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 11, 2010

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Having two PC's right next to each other and a mate who lived down the street who had a similarly evil sense of humor made for many a fun time at other peoples expense. We had tons of fun with Desert Combat (a mod for BF1942), but one of the best tales I have is as follows:
There was an admin playing who my mate didn't like much, and because the admin was sniping near the enemy base, my mate decided the best thing to do was get in a humvee and park it right near him then jump up and down next to him to give his position away. Instead of saying anything about this the admin promptly kicked my mate, and because the server was full (and his spot quickly taken by someone who was probably on auto-retry) he couldn't get back in. Now I didn't like the admin either and decided I should do something about it.

The punish command was so easily abused in that game: just wait for a teammate to be driving past you and jump infront of them at the last minute, you get killed but will respawn quickly enough, you type punish into the console and they wont be respawning very quickly at all after they die - repeat 3 times and they get kicked.

So I decided that's what I would do to this admin. After seeing him jump into the drivers seat of a humvee, I jumped onto the bonnet (with the intention of walking off the front once he was up to speed), instead of telling me to get off he got out and shot me, "well that first teamkill was easy". Punish #1

Later I try and do the same thing, but he's wise to my intentions so he gets out and jumps into another another humvee nearby and drives off before I could get infront of it. After a few more failed tries I realize a better way to do this - in this map there's only one road which is basically a circle with the arab base along the top, and the american base along the bottom, on both sides of the circle theres a small building that the road runs very close to - I add the admin to my "buddy list" (which makes their icon appear bright green on my map) then wait behind one of the buildings for him to drive by, I run out and get flattened. Punish #2

After he dies and realizes I punished him again he says this:
ADMIN: fuzz, stop doing that or I will ban you for distrupting the game!

"Right, gotta make this last one quick and unexpected". I see him jump into a humvee, so I jump into another, there's no point trying to give chase because all the cars in this game have a low top speed which they hit almost instantly, so I head in the opposite direction around the circle. Once we are infront of the enemy base I see him in the distance, he's still in the humvee, and going full tilt straight toward me, realizing you get out of the left side of the humvee I aim a little to the right of him, and just as we are about to pass each other I jump out with such good timing I get flattened in midair (which I had to - if I hit the ground first I would have suicided from the fall at high speed), as fast as I can I bring up the console and type punish - he get's booted, and because my mate is still on auto-retry waiting for a spot to clear so he can get in, he gets in before the admin can.

Obviously the admin only has privileges for executing commands from within the game (no access to the server) because I continued to play until I got bored without getting kicked or banned.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

searo74 posted:

When this happened, I would usually not bother to build up, I would instead try to piss off the other players until they started killing each other or me.

My tactics:

Marine Congo Line: I built a large number of basic infantry units and tell them to follow each other in a daisy chain formation, and then parade them around the map.

Beer Depots: I built as many Supply Depots as possible all over the map, especially in allied bases, and told everyone they dispensed beer. Bonus points for blocking critical points or having paranoid allies destroy the harmless buildings for no reason.

USS Enterprise: I float an (or multiple) Engineering Bay (defenseless building with the ability to float) around the map and roleplay the voyage of the USS Enterprise. Sometimes I would even hide Medics underneath it to provide harmless special effects such as "Fire Phasers! (optical flare) and "Teleport!" (restoration)
These usually got shot down by pissed off people.

Every few years a friend and I get the itch to BS some comp stomps. He would antagonize people and I would play straight man.

He did something like your Beer Depot thing but with far, far more effectiveness.

He would build nothing but Overlords until the unit limit was reached. He would then send hundreds and hundreds of them to one person's base and rally them all to one unit in a huge pile, and then kill the unit they were rallied to. This causes the Overlords to slowly spread out, eventually covering the entire base.

This would make it really hard for the victim to get anything done, and if they started attacking the overlords they'd make themselves out to be the BSer.

Usually we just did it psychologically, accusing random people of being the BSer, especially if they weren't talking. Or he'd directly antagonize people by attacking with units to "test if they were allied" to get them to attack him and then hopefully have everyone attack that person for being the BSer.

My favorite example of this was a game where on multiple occasions in one game we got multiple people to attack him, which in turn caused other people to attack one of them. The people attacking my friend were then convinced to stop attacking him as one of them was killed. By the end of the game EVERYONE had unallied him at least once convinced he was the BSer only later to re-ally with him.

Then there was stupid poo poo we'd do where we'd build nothing but firebats or scouts or vultures, or cannons just to see what would happen.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Don't really grief much, but I guess this sort of counts.

I remember me and my cousins were playing Halo on xbconnect. I used to capture the flag in blood gulch and get close to our base to capture it, but I would purposely run extremely slowly into the base. My teammates would get very pissed as my character slow motion ran with the flag. They usually wound up killing me and capturing it themselves. Sometimes I would hide in a cave with the flag, and run very slowly back and forth with my cousin protecting me from teammates and enemies alike. The game would never end and people would get pissed off because the flag needed to be returned before a new capture could occur.

Final Fantasy XI:

Being a white mage was awesome in this game. You could be as much of a dick as you wanted to, yet people would still invite you because healers were so rare. I used to join groups and then abandon them whenever I wanted, leaving them in dangerous areas that they couldn't walk out of without my aid. White Mages can cast sneak and invisible to get parties into dangerous areas without initiatiating a battle. Since you pretty much couldn't defeat anything near your level without a group after level 15, the healer was necessary. Often times, if there was a player that annoyed me, I would just leave him there to die and laugh as I turned invisible and snuck away. When I decided to quit this game I did a lot of griefing with my white mage that final month.

World of Warcraft:

I didn't do this, but my cousin did. A fairly common Auction House scam. He would find an obscure but worthless item up for auction and that there were very few of. He would buy them all (and spend less than 100 gold), and then put one of them up for auction for 1000 gold. Then with an alt would ask to buy the same item for 2000 gold. People would buy it thinking they could sell it and make a quick 1000 gold profit. But when they were about to sell it to him, he would log out saying that he had to go and he'll buy it later. So now the victim is stuck with a worthless item that he just spent 1000 gold on.

Before a patch made this impossible there was also the backspace scam. In WoW you can trade gold for items with other characters directly, but backspace the last digit right before accepting the trade. So, for example, you offer to buy an item from someone for 1000 gold. The person opens a trade, you put 1000 gold in your side of the trade window. Seeing that you have the money ready, the person selects accept. Right before accepting you backspace the last 0. So you wind up buying the item for 100 gold instead of 1000. It was awesome because often times the hapless victim wouldn't even know they got duped. And when they do find out and say "WTF, you only gave me 100!", you can reply with a sly "You snooze you lose," and hop away laughing. Great griefing trick.

edit:
The backspace scam in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaAhE6e8Ne4

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 11, 2010

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Fuzz1111 posted:

Having two PC's right next to each other and a mate who lived down the street who had a similarly evil sense of humor made for many a fun time at other peoples expense. We had tons of fun with Desert Combat (a mod for BF1942), but one of the best tales I have is as follows:

Hilarious story, thanks.

Sonny_Crockett
Jun 1, 2000
I got banned from a friendly fire CS server on 9/11/2002. We were playing Oilrig and the admin (who was on my team) kept calling for a "moment of silence" for 9/11. It took several rounds of arguing, and "C'mon guys!" gave way to "I'm going to ban anyone who fires a shot next round." so everybody finally agreed to do it. That round I happened to spawn right next to him on the very top of the rig; I snuck up behind him with the knife and about halfway through the "moment" I typed "NEVAR FORGET!" and stabbed him in the head repeatedly. It took him longer to ban me than I expected, he was probably having trouble typing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Sonny_Crockett posted:

I got banned from a friendly fire CS server on 9/11/2002. We were playing Oilrig and the admin (who was on my team) kept calling for a "moment of silence" for 9/11. It took several rounds of arguing, and "C'mon guys!" gave way to "I'm going to ban anyone who fires a shot next round." so everybody finally agreed to do it. That round I happened to spawn right next to him on the very top of the rig; I snuck up behind him with the knife and about halfway through the "moment" I typed "NEVAR FORGET!" and stabbed him in the head repeatedly. It took him longer to ban me than I expected, he was probably having trouble typing.

Hah
I was playing cs on 9/11/01, twas a very strange experience.

• Locked thread