Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhgr posted:

Do Cork please :allears:
We actually are. The plan is to promote the team and hopefully for people in other parts of the country to set up other clubs so we can get a small league going. Current plan is Belfast, Cork, Galway, Waterford/Kilkenny I think. We'll be doing weekends away in April/May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

irlZaphod posted:

We actually are. The plan is to promote the team and hopefully for people in other parts of the country to set up other clubs so we can get a small league going. Current plan is Belfast, Cork, Galway, Waterford/Kilkenny I think. We'll be doing weekends away in April/May.
So you're actually fairly good, then? Where is it you're playing in Leeds when the tournament rolls around?

The Lemons play bottom of the league this evening, so I'm rather looking forward to it. If we can pick up another 3 points we've doubled our previous season's best!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cragz posted:

So you're actually fairly good, then? Where is it you're playing in Leeds when the tournament rolls around?
Uh, no, not really. :( We just finished bottom of the league, I think we got 1 point. Our main problem I think is consistency, too many people don't show up to matches every week. Plus we lost a couple of players a few months ago (including our keeper) because of GAY DRAMA and have drafted in some new players, who are actually quite good to really good.

I don't know where in Leeds the tournament is taking place, sorry. :( Hopefully we'll be able to do well enough in that, we have 2 5 a side teams going into it so one will probably have our best players, the other will have the rest of us.

Cragz posted:

The Lemons play bottom of the league this evening, so I'm rather looking forward to it. If we can pick up another 3 points we've doubled our previous season's best!
Good luck!

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

5-3 victory over 'golden monkeys' last night. YEAH!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Winning is fun. My futsal team lost 5-4 to a last minute goal against the only team we've beaten all season, and after we peppered their goal with shot after shot somehow not managing to score more. :(

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Scikar posted:

Winning is fun. My futsal team lost 5-4 to a last minute goal against the only team we've beaten all season, and after we peppered their goal with shot after shot somehow not managing to score more. :(

I play in two bottom half of the table teams, when we get a win it's pretty exciting. Our problem is that we've got to many players and the difference between our better players and our worst players is pretty vast, with our best team on the pitch we're definitely good enough to compete with the best teams in the league, but as soon as we sub some of our other guys on we start to leak goals.

It's not really a big deal because we're just out for a bit of fun, but it can be a tad frustrating going off the field with the scores close then coming back on after they've blown out..

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Looking into buying new boots for artificial turf. Do you have any recommendations on some cheap quality stuff?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If you've already got boots that you like for normal grass I would get the same ones with an astro sole. There's no real technology advancements for the astro sole so it's not like you're missing out on anything, and it's more important that they fit well. For what it's worth the Puma Kings I got about a month ago were worth every one of the relatively few pounds I paid for them, but the inner elastic sock in them which attaches to the tongue pinched the outside of my foot slightly at first, and my old boots used to do the same, so try them in a shop if you've never had a pair before and want some.

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

irlZaphod posted:

Good luck!
Would you Adam & Eve it? Not only did we win last night (8-4, for the record - I scored*!) but I'm almost certain we played against an all gay team. Have a look at your tournament information and see if "FC Foleys" are on the list.

hughsieblingwish posted:

Our problem is that we've got to many players and the difference between our better players and our worst players is pretty vast, with our best team on the pitch we're definitely good enough to compete with the best teams in the league, but as soon as we sub some of our other guys on we start to leak goals.
I know this feeling all too well. We definitely have tiers of players, a couple right at the top end and a few (who can barely kick a ball without a few seconds' concentration) at the bottom. We can turn up on certain days and edge out the top sides in our division, yet on others we'll get thrashed by shitters. Long term goal is to get everyone up to a fairly decent standard; we'll see how that goes!

Scikar posted:

For what it's worth the Puma Kings I got about a month ago were worth every one of the relatively few pounds I paid for them
Seconding Puma Kings. Best pair of "all-surface" boots I've owned in some time. Like Scikar says, there's an inner-elastic sock which is a fairly tight fit at first. I went for half a size bigger than I'd usually buy and it's a perfect fit.

* I have a reputation for laying the ball off to team-mates when I should be having a pop at goal. My assist rate is through the roof, but I average about three goals a season (14 games). Need to work on that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cragz posted:

Would you Adam & Eve it? Not only did we win last night (8-4, for the record - I scored*!) but I'm almost certain we played against an all gay team. Have a look at your tournament information and see if "FC Foleys" are on the list.
Hmmm no, I think the team hosting it there are called the Yorkshire Terriers. The list of teams is mostly just towns/cities. I have found out that it's taking place in South Leeds Stadium, Middleton Grove.

Congrats on the win though, and for scoring. :)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

hope this snow and stuff fucks off soon, it's nearly time for 7 a side again. Which I much prefer over 5's

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

irlZaphod posted:

Hmmm no, I think the team hosting it there are called the Yorkshire Terriers. The list of teams is mostly just towns/cities. I have found out that it's taking place in South Leeds Stadium, Middleton Grove.
SLS (Now called the John Charles Centre for Sport)! We "train" there on a weekend. I say train, really I mean gently caress about and whinge when anyone suggests doing exercise or repetition practice.

Whilst the (council owned) stadium & 5s courts are in fairly good nick, the area they're situated in is somewhere in the midst of "Beeston", "Hunslet" and "Belle Isle" (AKA Beirut). It's the Mos Eisley of the North of England, so be aware! This probably contributes to the reason it's £11 for an hour's court time. We brave the gangs for our fix.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Well there will be over 100 of us there so I think we'll manage any local gangs. ;)

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hughsieblingwish posted:

I play in two bottom half of the table teams, when we get a win it's pretty exciting. Our problem is that we've got to many players and the difference between our better players and our worst players is pretty vast, with our best team on the pitch we're definitely good enough to compete with the best teams in the league, but as soon as we sub some of our other guys on we start to leak goals.

It's not really a big deal because we're just out for a bit of fun, but it can be a tad frustrating going off the field with the scores close then coming back on after they've blown out..
I can't remember if I've asked this or not, but when and where do you play?

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

irlZaphod posted:

Well there will be over 100 of us there so I think we'll manage any local gangs. ;)
The gangs part was rather tongue in cheeck. What I was saying, in a round-about way, is "It's an utter poo poo hole". :)

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's nice to get a goal and a win together.

I've also come to the conclusion that the reason I score a lot less than the other core players on the team is because I'm the only who can play an incisive pass so if I get too far forwards we stop getting the ball near their penalty area. All the more reason to work on my dribbling (incidentally I beat 3 players to get my goal today). :)

Although if anyone has any tips for movement and positioning when playing up front that would be helpful. It's obvious that when our 11s team gets running I'm going to be playing attacking midfield most of the time but I'd like to be able to fill in as second striker or winger when necessary. When I'm playing in midfield I never have trouble picking out a run but when I try to make the same runs I just exhaust myself without seeing the ball, any tips on where I might be going wrong?

Scikar fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 5, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Scikar posted:

Although if anyone has any tips for movement and positioning when playing up front that would be helpful. It's obvious that when our 11s team gets running I'm going to be playing attacking midfield most of the time but I'd like to be able to fill in as second striker or winger when necessary. When I'm playing in midfield I never have trouble picking out a run but when I try to make the same runs I just exhaust myself without seeing the ball, any tips on where I might be going wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0OCe7qUMY

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Welp, so much for the cup. Drew 2-2 thanks to a dodgy penalty, drew 3-3 thanks to falling asleep at the back, lost 4-3 to the same and had one of our players injured for the trouble, then lost 5-2 to the eventual winners. We didn't come last in our group though, and those guys won 7-0 in the semis so I think we were unlucky with the draw more than anything. Highlights: successfully nutmegged one team's otherwise solid defender, turned the 5-2 guys' entire team inside out in one run. Low points: completely fluffed the shot afterwards in both cases.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

I can't remember if I've asked this or not, but when and where do you play?

I play in two leagues, both mixed - Sunday night and Wednesday night. Both are run by the same group - super 5's. The Sunday night league is based at Collingwood Secondary College, the facilities are pretty low grade but it's a bit unpleasant if you're playing the late game on Sunday during summer it's a sweat box. On Wednesday's I play at Princess Hill Secondary, which is much nicer and brighter. Generally reffed by better quality ref's during the week.

I occasionally play in an all man league run by Futsal Oz in Brunswick. That's taken quite seriously; during my last game one of the guys from our opposition was red carded for repeatedly threatening the ref and then making a 'throat-slit' gesture at him after he'd made a call he didnt agree with.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I played a defender in my first outdoor game last week. I got a yellow card for a dangerous tackle, I almost ruined a goal we scored due to being offsides (the ref allowed the goal after speaking with the linesman) and I ruined a scoring opportunity on a corner kick due to handling it.

On our last indoor game (same team) last night I got a hat trick.

In lieu of that our captain has decided to move me up from defender to striker.

We'll see what happens. :raise:

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

hughsieblingwish posted:

I play in two leagues, both mixed - Sunday night and Wednesday night. Both are run by the same group - super 5's. The Sunday night league is based at Collingwood Secondary College, the facilities are pretty low grade but it's a bit unpleasant if you're playing the late game on Sunday during summer it's a sweat box. On Wednesday's I play at Princess Hill Secondary, which is much nicer and brighter. Generally reffed by better quality ref's during the week.

I occasionally play in an all man league run by Futsal Oz in Brunswick. That's taken quite seriously; during my last game one of the guys from our opposition was red carded for repeatedly threatening the ref and then making a 'throat-slit' gesture at him after he'd made a call he didnt agree with.

Hey I am looking to play more indoor, I normally keep but would rather play outfield let me know if you need any more players (been playing indoor at Kensington, in Kew and with some backpackers at Albert Park)

Also let me know if you want to play mens on Wednesday nights because our lovely team always needs players.

This goes to any other Victorians.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hughsieblingwish posted:

Oh yeah, you play in the city. I play out in the burbs at an inline hockey rink cum futsal court at Reservoir (actually it's the closest to international size in the state - the state futsal team have trained there recently). As a result of the size you get a lot more time on the ball where I play than anywhere else I've seen.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
never buy these gloves http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/prodinfo.asp?DPID=PDS-006-001-462&DEPT=6&BRAND=1

i'm a beginning keeper (played my first scrimmage today), and they're already falling apart. there's a hole on the index finger that goes all the way through. they also make my hands sweat big time. climacool is a scam! i've used them 3 times.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

just bought these badboys: http://www.tst.no/Store/sport/?mode=shop&func=details&fid=1171&print_id=0

was going to get a pair of adidas boots but i got these ones for £20 so i picked them up instead. excited to try them out tonight.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do I play a striker in outdoor?

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

the posted:

Are you fast?

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Two ways you could play. You could either be the fast guy who gets balls kicked over the top to him the entire time, and 28 out of 30 times you lose possession or dont get it, 2 out of 30 you actually get it and get a good shot off, 1 out of 30 you score. You would pretty much just stand on the last defender and make diagonal runs over his shoulder looking for the ball.

The other way is to play like a real forward. Try to diagonally get behind defenders (make a run at a defenders left shoulder and run behind him). Its the hardest run for a defender to handle and if your team is moderately decent they will be able to play you through pretty often. Check back whenever your team has possession and you see space you can step into to receive the ball. If you play a less predictable style (check back sometimes and make long runs other times) teams will have a tough time defending you.

Also dont be the forward who will never work at all defensively, I'm not saying be standing in your own 18, but if you turn the ball over you need to try to win it back.

Obviously other skills are important like finishing, headers, ability to cross etc. but those are things at our age your probably not going to work on at the park by yourself.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
In order to learn how to play football, you watch more football.

Watch clips of the great strikers and mimic.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Scikar posted:

If you're playing like a true winger don't try anything fancy. You're not Leo and CR9 so trying to flick and trick in is going to be hard as hell, so just stay a step away from the touchline a lot. 'Winger' is just an offensive oriented wide midfielder at an amateur level, you know? So stick out wide, work on your crossing a lot, learn to cross in different ways (its surprising how many technically decent kids I know can't seem to put the ball on the ground when crossing if the pressure is on) and don't get frustrated easily. That's actually a big one.. anyone in the center is going to have a few options to pass to a lot of the time, and as a winger you're gonna be gunning down a lane a lot for no reason. But when you do get the ball finally if you make your run right and don't panic you'll be in a great position to grab an assist.

Every time I've ever played 'Second Striker' I've played it a lot like CAM. Little less tracking back though.. learn to play with your back to the goal, make sure you're stronger than the guy marking you, jump really high to slip it on to the CF.. oh and work on one-touch passing a lot. With your back to goal you're gonna have a lot of trouble turning sometimes.. a quick sweep to a winger or back to a midfielder really fucks with the defense so have a decent understanding with your CMs, so you can tap it back to them for their through-ball.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

First practice of the season tomorrow. I'm so horribly unfit it's going to be a disaster.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

tbp posted:

If you're playing like a true winger don't try anything fancy. You're not Leo and CR9 so trying to flick and trick in is going to be hard as hell, so just stay a step away from the touchline a lot. 'Winger' is just an offensive oriented wide midfielder at an amateur level, you know? So stick out wide, work on your crossing a lot, learn to cross in different ways (its surprising how many technically decent kids I know can't seem to put the ball on the ground when crossing if the pressure is on) and don't get frustrated easily. That's actually a big one.. anyone in the center is going to have a few options to pass to a lot of the time, and as a winger you're gonna be gunning down a lane a lot for no reason. But when you do get the ball finally if you make your run right and don't panic you'll be in a great position to grab an assist.

Every time I've ever played 'Second Striker' I've played it a lot like CAM. Little less tracking back though.. learn to play with your back to the goal, make sure you're stronger than the guy marking you, jump really high to slip it on to the CF.. oh and work on one-touch passing a lot. With your back to goal you're gonna have a lot of trouble turning sometimes.. a quick sweep to a winger or back to a midfielder really fucks with the defense so have a decent understanding with your CMs, so you can tap it back to them for their through-ball.

Yeah I know what the positions are about. My passing and crossing is absolutely not a problem and I've been working on aggressive dribbling every week so that's really starting to improve, it's how to make runs and find space that I need help with because there isn't an obvious way to train it.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Scikar posted:

it's how to make runs and find space that I need help with because there isn't an obvious way to train it.

this is the by far the trickiest part of playing up front. but if you master it you're gaining a huge advantage.

first of all, timing is crucial and you also need to read and recognize the movements of both the defenders and your teammates. be unpredictable, but always available. move around all the time, swith positions and be a constant annoyance to the defenders. i like to go wide or go deep towards to halfway line so i become someone elses responsibility to take care of, confusing the defenders that are supposed to mark me out.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

the posted:

Here are some cool Nike apps...

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=332116195&mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/app/id347001310

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

Yeah I know what the positions are about. My passing and crossing is absolutely not a problem and I've been working on aggressive dribbling every week so that's really starting to improve, it's how to make runs and find space that I need help with because there isn't an obvious way to train it.

Diagonal runs across defenders into space, that's the kind of runs to make. If you don't have the ball you don't want to be running at a defender, you want to be running across him. Make the defender make a decision to follow you, or step up and try to play you offside, or pass you off to another defender. A stagnant forward is a useless forward.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Scikar posted:

Oh hm my mistake.

Really I guess I can't say much more than watch more football I guess. I could try to explain what I would do to find space but it probably won't come out right. I guess I'll try anyway.

Like I said as a winger especially at an amateur level you're not going to be doing anything fancy. Be quicker than the fullback and just run to the corner flag, you'll find the space well enough and in that case its up to the rest of the team to make your run worthwhile. Its kind of funny because that's such basic advice though that I feel like an idiot telling you, I'm sure you knew that 'running fast and crossing' is a good idea. If like you said you've been working on dribbling.. a quick start/stop run can make a good deal of space actually, especially if their wide-mids don't come back to double you. Sprint to the corner, hit the breaks and drop back to recieve a pass. Your fullback will still be on the backfoot but a lot of time (at least I think so) its tough to turn in that situation and start your move up.

SS is similar again too. Actually thats probably the best way to make space. I'm a lazy gently caress and don't do it as much and wait for the ball to come to my feet even if I'm marked and hope for the best, but if you make a run like a striker and then cut back to get a pass from a mid then you're going to have a yard of space to flick it on, which is really useful.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Didn't get time to warmup today :negative:

Legs are loving killing like a bitch. Always warmup, always.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

identikit posted:

Didn't get time to warmup today :negative:

Legs are loving killing like a bitch. Always warmup, always.

I got kneed in the calf and almost cried my cramp was so bad I'm also A Gigantic Pussy

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

tbp posted:

I got kneed in the calf and almost cried my cramp was so bad I'm also A Gigantic Pussy

Got absolutely taken out today. Thank gently caress the astro I was playing on was bouncy as gently caress. Would've hosed my knee seven ways to Sunday on my home pitch. Manned up and didn't show any pain when it happened... until I sat in a hot bath. Hip is also killing. Refs never give any cards for obvious fouls and infractions just bullshit stuff like me kicking the ball back to where the original offence was. wtf?

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

identikit posted:

Got absolutely taken out today. Thank gently caress the astro I was playing on was bouncy as gently caress. Would've hosed my knee seven ways to Sunday on my home pitch. Manned up and didn't show any pain when it happened... until I sat in a hot bath. Hip is also killing. Refs never give any cards for obvious fouls and infractions just bullshit stuff like me kicking the ball back to where the original offence was. wtf?
Is your team's name Arsenal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

identikit posted:

What position do you play?