Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tsaven Nava posted:

I personally would show up with $6200 in cash in your pocket, and maybe another $300 stashed somewhere else on you. Sales guys hear "I'll be paying cash" and "I'll be buying gear" all the time, and I think they probably write it off.

Having a giant wad of green IN YOUR HAND, in their eyesight, changes the nature of the game completely. If they still won't budge at all, maybe offer $6500 out the door.

Again, having the cash in your hand is pretty key, IMO.

This, but also don't be afraid to ask to talk to the sales manager directly. The sales guy might try to get you to spend more, but the sales manager doesn't get a commission directly off the sale, so he might be willing to negotiate more. He's the one that ultimately approves the sale anyway.

e: Also, what's the sales tax rate where you are?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's because your bigger bike doesn't have any of the HP that's supposed to go with a bigger bike. Hop on a 430 pound 600CC supersport, and then hop on a 440 pound 1000cc supersport and you'll see why in that context, bigger is better ;)

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Doctor Zero posted:

This, but also don't be afraid to ask to talk to the sales manager directly. The sales guy might try to get you to spend more, but the sales manager doesn't get a commission directly off the sale, so he might be willing to negotiate more. He's the one that ultimately approves the sale anyway.

e: Also, what's the sales tax rate where you are?

6%

Essentially, it was

- $6299 for bike
- $630 for freight/setup
- $90 for dealer title
- $180 for MVA fees and setup
- $425 for tax

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Again, the Freight/Setup fee is BS, don't ever agree to pay something like that.

The only thing that matters is the out-the-door price, don't worry about ANYTHING else. They can play with their numbers however they want, the only thing you need to pay attention to is how much is coming out of your bank account.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Went to look at a 1993 FZR 600 with friends today, supposedly fell off a platform onto a tool box, which trashed the fairings, so the current owner bought it to fix it up for his daughter but now she's got another bike so he's selling it in streetfighterish condition. Doesn't look great but it passed inspection has new tires and seem technically sound. It has 50000km and he wants 800€ for it. Thing is the bike didn't start. Engine was turning around, but didn't start burning poo poo, lights were all working tho, and from time to time you'd hear a cylinder or two trying to get going. Also bigass backfires out the exhaust. What is this description symptomatic for though? My first thought was spark plugs, dude wants to put new spark plugs in and talk to us tomorrow, supposedly it started up instantly a couple days ago. Could it be something else, more serious?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

niethan posted:

Went to look at a 1993 FZR 600 with friends today, supposedly fell off a platform onto a tool box, which trashed the fairings, so the current owner bought it to fix it up for his daughter but now she's got another bike so he's selling it in streetfighterish condition. Doesn't look great but it passed inspection has new tires and seem technically sound. It has 50000km and he wants 800€ for it. Thing is the bike didn't start. Engine was turning around, but didn't start burning poo poo, lights were all working tho, and from time to time you'd hear a cylinder or two trying to get going. Also bigass backfires out the exhaust. What is this description symptomatic for though? My first thought was spark plugs, dude wants to put new spark plugs in and talk to us tomorrow, supposedly it started up instantly a couple days ago. Could it be something else, more serious?

Ah yes. :airquote: But it was running just fine 10 minutes before you get here, honest! :airquote: That's up there with :airquote: All it needs is a battery! :airquote:

1. Don't even think about it until it really is running in your presence unless you want to gamble on doing major work.
2. Bring someone who knows bike repair with you when you go back.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah obviously not gonna buy it without it running.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Doctor Zero posted:

1. Don't even think about it until it really is running in your presence unless you want to gamble on doing major work.

Amending this to: Don't even think about it until its running in your presence after you watched it start from cold (ie, can touch headers with bare hands)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Know this, that seller was probably trying like Hell to get it running before you got there. To hear that it was backfiring without actually starting is loving freaky. Usually you have unburned fuel hitting hot pipes or some poo poo which causes a backfire. I betcha valves are loving toast or it's firing out of sequence. Of course people smarter than me prolly have a better clue.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
That whole story sounds flaky to me. Fell off a platform onto a toolbox and took out the fairings? Both sides? Did it flop around like a fish? bounce over to the other side? Backfires? The guy has been cranking it for how long and how much gasoline has washed the oil from the bores and diluted the oil in the crankcase? Unless this is last bike in your neck of the woods, run away.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Update, dude replaced the spark plugs, old ones were hosed, machine started from cold and ran perfectly, but had some blueish smoke coming out the rear end when going off the gas, so in the end didn't buy it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

niethan posted:

Update, dude replaced the spark plugs, old ones were hosed, machine started from cold and ran perfectly, but had some blueish smoke coming out the rear end when going off the gas, so in the end didn't buy it.

I bet those old plugs were oil fouled. New plugs are masking other issues. You did the right thing walking away.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Alright, here's an oddball for you.

1991 Suzuki Bandit GSF400 w/26k miles for $2400. Titled and licensed.

It's been taken down to frame, cleaned, painted all pivot points lubed. Tapered steering head bearings. Fully serviced and jetted. Yoshi 4 to 1. New tires, plugs, filter, etc. Comes with a 30 day warranty from a shop a couple blocks away from me.

It's probably expensive for what it is. However, after looking at it I'm impressed. It's super clean. After doing some research online it seems like this bike was supposed to come with dual front disks from the factory, that this bike is some...euro spec. I'll be using this bike to commute from work to school to home, all of those trips are about 2 miles and my Viggen would prolly poo poo out its turbo in anger. I figure an old 400 would be a great way to learn the sport and become familiar with carbs and general maintenance. It also revs to 14,000 RPM. Thoughts?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Hey, I know this bike!

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1624467086.html

my old FrankenBeezer. The guy paid $1400 for it a couple years ago and is now selling it for $1000. I know better but I'm still tempted. Despite the helicopter/F35 levels of maintenence it required, it was such a pleasant bike to take a bimble on, and the braaaaap! of that British twin was so musical.

This is my favorite picture of the bike

editification-I'm going to fire up the vintage bike project thread again with pictures of the FrankenBeezer from when I got it to when I sold it. It was a work in progress the entire time I owned it.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 3, 2010

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
^^^Gnomad, that is a dead sexy bike.

Mcqueen posted:

Alright, here's an oddball for you.

1991 Suzuki Bandit GSF400 w/26k miles for $2400. Titled and licensed.

It's been taken down to frame, cleaned, painted all pivot points lubed. Tapered steering head bearings. Fully serviced and jetted. Yoshi 4 to 1. New tires, plugs, filter, etc. Comes with a 30 day warranty from a shop a couple blocks away from me.

It's probably expensive for what it is. However, after looking at it I'm impressed. It's super clean. After doing some research online it seems like this bike was supposed to come with dual front disks from the factory, that this bike is some...euro spec. I'll be using this bike to commute from work to school to home, all of those trips are about 2 miles and my Viggen would prolly poo poo out its turbo in anger. I figure an old 400 would be a great way to learn the sport and become familiar with carbs and general maintenance. It also revs to 14,000 RPM. Thoughts?

Those were fantastic bikes, and one of the best looking unfaired bikes ever made, in my opinion. And they rode every bit as good as they look, too. The single disc shouldn't be a problem, they are pretty light.

I thought about getting one myself a while back, but at 6'2" and 280, I look like a bad circus act while riding it.

The price does seem high to me, even in that condition. Wouldn't hurt to talk them down if you can. Since it's not a fully faired sportbike or a Harley, and has a small engine, they might not be able to sell it as easily as they might like.

If that deal falls through, a good alternative is a Honda CB-1. 400cc, unfaired, 14k rpms, very rare, and also a blast to ride if you fit it. A buddy of mine still has the one he bought new, and won't ever sell it.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 3, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnomad posted:

Hey, I know this bike!

my old FrankenBeezer. The guy paid $1400 for it a couple years ago and is now selling it for $1000. I know better but I'm still tempted. Despite the helicopter/F35 levels of maintenence it required, it was such a pleasant bike to take a bimble on, and the braaaaap! of that British twin was so musical.

Just offer him 700$ :D

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Gnomad posted:

Hey, I know this bike!

editification-I'm going to fire up the vintage bike project thread again with pictures of the FrankenBeezer from when I got it to when I sold it. It was a work in progress the entire time I owned it.

If that bike were anywhere near me, for that price, I'd be buying it. That is a really cool bike.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Flint Ironstag posted:

^^^Gnomad, that is a dead sexy bike.

Those were fantastic bikes, and one of the best looking unfaired bikes ever made, in my opinion. And they rode every bit as good as they look, too. The single disc shouldn't be a problem, they are pretty light.

I thought about getting one myself a while back, but at 6'2" and 280, I look like a bad circus act while riding it.

The price does seem high to me, even in that condition. Wouldn't hurt to talk them down if you can. Since it's not a fully faired sportbike or a Harley, and has a small engine, they might not be able to sell it as easily as they might like.

If that deal falls through, a good alternative is a Honda CB-1. 400cc, unfaired, 14k rpms, very rare, and also a blast to ride if you fit it. A buddy of mine still has the one he bought new, and won't ever sell it.

I'm 6'2" 200. It's a small bike, but the smaller the better for a newbie right? What would you recommend I talk him down to?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Mcqueen posted:

I'm 6'2" 200. It's a small bike, but the smaller the better for a newbie right? What would you recommend I talk him down to?

Take the following with a big grain of salt, I know a bit about bikes but I'm no expert at the whole haggling thing. I tend to pay what they want or walk away on the price.

KBB says $1280 retail in excellent condition, so you might try to start there. I doubt he would go that low for a bike in that good of condition with a warranty, but flashing large wads of cash couldn't hurt when negotiating.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Absolutely ridiculous and impractical

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1627808284.html

I want it.

Aprilia RS50. Cuz a Ninja 250 is just too much bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Absolutely ridiculous and impractical

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1627808284.html

I want it.

Aprilia RS50. Cuz a Ninja 250 is just too much bike.

Those little aprilias are just so awesome :3:

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
While bike hunting today I found an ok-looking K8 GSXR online with only minor ricing, and emailed the seller only to discover a level of stupidity I just wasn't prepared for.

quote:

Q: Would it be possible to view the bike?
A: Yes,but why? Its pretty much brand new.Whats to see? I suspect you are a dreamer wanting to cream your load,save it for someone else numbnuts!!

He then blacklisted me from the auction. :byewhore:

e: auction

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

I'm 5'10" and don't fit well at all on mine. The most uncomfortable part is that my knees are about two inches past the tank knee dents so I end up with my legs in some weird uncomfortable position while riding. It is a fun bike though so maybe go sit on it a while and see what you think.

As far as price, who knows. They are pretty rare and really hard to find in nice condition so it's more of a "what am I willing to pay" or "what will it take me to part with it" deal. I paid $500 and am planning on selling it for about $1200 when I finally get the drat thing running right but it's not nearly cherry.

Oh, the dual disc seems to be a Japan only option. They came with chrome exhaust and a fender hugger as well. Over here we got one disc, no hugger or shiny exhaust. I've seen some in England with those bits, but I think they were imports.
Even with one disc, the bike stops really well.

Personally I'd go find a B6. Quite a bit roomier, made for many more years making parts not impossible to find and some came with the red frame just like the B4 so you can still pretend it's a Ducati.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Cheesemaster200 posted:

6%

Essentially, it was

- $6299 for bike
- $630 for freight/setup
- $90 for dealer title
- $180 for MVA fees and setup
- $425 for tax

Since it's new, you might be able to write off the tax when you file income tax next year. I know they did that last year, and the dealer should be able to fill you in on it. You will have to itemize for it, however.

I bought an '06 last year, first week of June, so it was height of season prices, and I still managed to get them to right around $5k with some farkles (hand guards, centerstand, topcase) from the PO still on it and 9k miles and a new battery. It was 100~ miles away, so I just caught a ride out to the dealer and rode it home. I didn't get the tax write-off though, since I bought used.

It sounds like you've found a steal, once you get that freight/setup bullshit out of the way. Cheapest I found a new one here last year for was right at MSRP, regardless of season.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Bird-o-matic posted:

emailed the seller only to discover a level of stupidity I just wasn't prepared for.

hahaha, wow, that's amazing.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
gah, I hate these people who have a five year old bike with 30,000 miles on it, put $500 worth of crap on it, and then expect it to sell for a little under MSRP.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It's even better when it's a three or four year old sportbike with a crappy can hung on it, ugly fender eliminator, tiny turn signals and a few scratches from a "drop in the driveway". Of course they have none of the original poo poo and of course they want an insane amount of money for it to get back all they have 'invested' in it.
It took me weeks of looking to find an unmolested F4i back when I bought mine.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Bugdrvr posted:

It's even better when it's a three or four year old sportbike with a crappy can hung on it, ugly fender eliminator, tiny turn signals and a few scratches from a "drop in the driveway". Of course they have none of the original poo poo and of course they want an insane amount of money for it to get back all they have 'invested' in it.
It took me weeks of looking to find an unmolested F4i back when I bought mine.

Yeah, it's pretty sad when you see like an 08' gsxr 600 with some miles on it and people are selling it for more or same as msrp on a current one, which i'm pretty sure you can still get an 09' for $8,000 + fees at dealer, weirdly, R6s and Honda CBRs seem to command the highest price on craigslist while the ZX6s are actually pretty reasonable, just my observation. Oh yeah and F4s can be ridiculous, Honda should just start making them again.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

infraboy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty sad when you see like an 08' gsxr 600 with some miles on it and people are selling it for more or same as msrp on a current one, which i'm pretty sure you can still get an 09' for $8,000 + fees at dealer, weirdly, R6s and Honda CBRs seem to command the highest price on craigslist while the ZX6s are actually pretty reasonable, just my observation. Oh yeah and F4s can be ridiculous, Honda should just start making them again.

When I was looking for a VFR I came across an F4i at a dealer and figured maybe I'd save some money. 7k he wanted for it. No doubt it would've went up to 8 if I'd actually bought it. :rant:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The F4i seems to fetch an insane amount of money for some reason.
I got lucky on mine. It was an '02 I picked it up in '05 with 5400mi in nearly perfect shape. I paid I $5200 and sold it due to divorce a year later with a few more thousand for the same price. I still see them for this price or more on Craigslist.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
That poo poo happens because of people like my brother, who put next to nothing down on the bike and wind up financing it through the dealer, on a 'manufacturer' endorsed credit card because 'OMG $89/month payments!!!' and don't realize they're only making a tiny dent in their debt. Then the year mark comes along, interest goes from 0-2% up to 24%~, they have a $5-10k bike with all their trim, gear, and maintenance packages on top of that on that card, and they wonder why their $89/month payment shoots up to $300/month. Panic, list to sell at some ridiculous price.

Only reason my brother hasn't sold his bike yet, he owes roughly $2k more than it's worth, won't be able to get the title from the loan/credit card company until that's paid off. No bank will give him a loan to cover the full amount, and he doesn't want to roll it into a refinance on his truck (which is worth $10k more than he owes on it). So he's just going to live the broke life until his truck's paid off, and dump everything after that on the bike.

By the time he's done with it, he'll have paid around $10k after interest, penalties, etc, for an '07 GS500F (plus gear and maintenance package), that he just had to buy new and finance through a dealer suggested manufacturer card.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wandering Idiot posted:

Then the year mark comes along, interest goes from 0-2% up to 24%~,
If nothing else, this is illegal now.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
You can get some good deals if you finance at the right time and check the small print.

I got my KTM 690 SMC at exactly the right time. Right at the end of the season, KTM was offering 3% over 3 years on the whole SM range and the dealer was doing the bike at about 500 below list price, which is about 9% off. They would have done 1% over 1 year but I needed to eat at the time.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
My GZ250 just can't hack it past 45MPH and I want to do some light traveling this spring and summer, so I'm going to be buying a new ride soon, and I've narrowed it down to two: The Honda Shadow Phantom and the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom. I know the Phantom is new, I'd like to get some ownership feedback regarding the Vulcan if possible.

The Swedish Fish
Apr 25, 2007
Proudly driving a German car.
I keep hearing or reading that a Ducati Monster 620 is a terrible beginner bike, and that a SV650 is a great beginner bike. I'm a beginner (MSF in one week :woop:) and am going to buy a bike soon.

I've found this 2007 SV650: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/1630513024.html

and this 2003 Ducati M620: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1620074227.html

They're the same price, nearly the same weight, the Ducati has a little more horse power, but the SV has more torque. They are also both super sexy looking, although I prefer the Duc... So is the Ducati just not a good beginner bike because it has pricey maintenance, or what is it? Or do you guys think it is an OK beginner bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's fine from a beginner bike standpoint, it's just more maintenance intensive, more expensive to service, etc, and parts are less available, aftermarket is less extensive, and parts are more expensive.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Perfectly good beginner bike in my opinion. You can pick the nits about age, maintenance and so on, but at some point the heart has to take over. By the one which makes you drool the most.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

63 HP is a little higher than we normally recommend, but it's not a supersport or anything. Be careful and you'll (probably) be okay.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

It's fine from a beginner bike standpoint, it's just more maintenance intensive, more expensive to service, etc, and parts are less available, aftermarket is less extensive, and parts are more expensive.

Ola posted:

Perfectly good beginner bike in my opinion. You can pick the nits about age, maintenance and so on, but at some point the heart has to take over. By the one which makes you drool the most.

These are both wise responses and fit very well together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Swedish Fish
Apr 25, 2007
Proudly driving a German car.
Cool. Thanks for the advise guys.

I'm still not sure what I'll end up with, but I'll definitely post some stuff on here when I get a bike. Mostly I'll be commuting and doing some regional touring. My girlfriend's been riding for a while now, and it'll be fun to finally be cool like her :v:

In the mean time I've been shopping for gear like a teenage girl with daddy's credit card, except it's actually my credit card... :downs: