Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

I posted:

But the ad is gone again, they haven't contacted me, so hopefully whoever got her decided to do right by her rather than use her to pump out endless litters.

I have it on good authority the person that ended up with her plans to get her spayed ASAP, is changing her over from '$17 for 50 lbs' food to a decent brand, and is trying to find a good name for her.

I got a call Friday morning and talked to her owner. She didn't like any of the other people who contacted her, and decided to let me have her. She is possibly the most laid back Corgi in existence, and is a bit like having a loving, dog-shaped pillow who occasionally eats and poops.:3: She's going to be 5 at the end of the month and has already had 3 or 4 litters with another potential litter on the way...but I think I'm just going to take her in to get her fixed.

I wanted to give her a 'properly Welsh' or Irish-y or something name, but I keep coming back to Winnie. I think it suits her, but can I really bring myself to name an animal Winnie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

RabbitMage posted:

I wanted to give her a 'properly Welsh' or Irish-y or something name, but I keep coming back to Winnie. I think it suits her, but can I really bring myself to name an animal Winnie?

Wynafred is a Welsh name & you could call her Winnie in day to day life. :3:

Good job on the preemptive spay & saving that poor girl from a life of puppy making.

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

RabbitMage posted:

aw congrats rabbitmage! what does your other dog think of her? kudos on saving her from what sounds like a pretty standard BYB situation!

keeps the pics coming! I like the name Winnie.. :)

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

RabbitMage posted:

I have it on good authority the person that ended up with her plans to get her spayed ASAP, is changing her over from '$17 for 50 lbs' food to a decent brand, and is trying to find a good name for her.

Congrats!!! She is lovely, and it's so rare to find a laid-back Corgi. You've truly lucked out. :)

Does she not already have a name? If she's 5 and already has a name, she may be less confused if you just stick with it. If not (poor soul), she looks kind of like a Wilhelmina, and you can call her Willie for short. :)

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
She came with the name Twitch. Which is unique at least, but is a little hard for me to say. "Twitch, come! Come on Twitch! Let's go Twitchy!" It also makes her sound like she has some kind of seizure problem which so far she does not.

She hasn't met Marlowe yet; I can't have two dogs here so she's living with my soon to be roommate. She did absolutely great meeting her two dogs. We were worried because my friend's female is very dominant, but thankfully the Corgi isn't and there was no issue. She totally ignored the cats, the rats, and the rabbits. I don't foresee any issues between her and Marlowe. He's a little more hyper than her but they're pretty well matched as far and size and energy level. They're going to be so much fun to walk together.

She doesn't seem food motivated so far, but she was also being free-fed the crappy dry food and then getting canned food twice a day. Hopefully on a better diet food becomes more interesting. I didn't know non-food motivated Corgis existed.

EDIT: IMPORTANT SPAY QUESTION
She has an appointment to be spayed on Thursday. Should I have her checked for vWD before she's spayed? I'm probably way too paranoid about her bleeding to death. What are the odds she would have lived through having 3-4 litters with it?

RabbitMage fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 10, 2010

Izlude17
May 24, 2008
Some videos of my little rascal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxSYRGyEhMo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMJeI_XQydo

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Izlude17 posted:

Some videos of my little rascal.

How old is she?

As soon as it gets a little warmer here in Seattle, I'm getting some of these bubbles.

New Puppy Party represent :iamafag: And then cry quietly to yourself because it is 4 in the morning and someone has to pee.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh yeah puppy party, Taziki just didn't want to really eat much this morning, then she takes off, and comes trotting back in like this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWx6RtzLjQg

The Dave fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 10, 2010

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Very cute. I'm a mean dog parent because I sometimes take an empty bowl and set it upside down on the floor with some pieces of kibble under it. Josie has fun frantically sliding it around the floor though.

The bubbles look like a great amusement. I'll have to invest in some too.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Sleepy pup after day at doggy day care.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

sup ya'll

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples
I think Pip might hate foreign languages. So far he has taken exception to Japanese, Swedish, and German Shepard.

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.

warwick5s posted:

sup ya'll

Get your hands off me you drat dirty corgis!

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Tulenian posted:

Get your hands off me you drat dirty corgis!

You maniacs!
You chewed it up!

Izlude17
May 24, 2008

lu lu lu posted:

How old is she?

As soon as it gets a little warmer here in Seattle, I'm getting some of these bubbles.

New Puppy Party represent :iamafag: And then cry quietly to yourself because it is 4 in the morning and someone has to pee.

She was about 7-8 months old in those videos. Now she is about 1.25 years old.

mockingbee
May 7, 2003

I finally have a reason to join in the corgi thread! We are getting our Pem tomorrow. Her name is Dazzle, she is 7 months old and wasn't up to conformation standards (a crooked tooth) so the breeder is letting her become part of the family.

We went to meet the breeder a couple of weeks ago in hopes of getting a puppy this summer. We met several of her dogs so she could see how the kids would do, and then she brought out Dazzle. She very high energy and s sweet and affectionate as anything. Then she told us Dazzle was looking for a home and since it was a good match would we like her. She's already house trained, crate trained, and knows how to play fetch, awesome. She still needs basic obedience as she was being ring trained, and needs spaying but I will take care of that.

I have been wanting a corgi for years, I am so excited! And yes, there will be pics.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well last night I really wanted to watch The Pacific and How to Make it in America on HBO, meaning I had to find something that would occupy Taziki for a solid 90 minutes. I do have some treats that can do that job but I decided to try a new one, I got her a StarMark Everlasting Treat Ball.

So far the results have been promising, took about 100 minutes of straight gnawing, and I think it can go longer. I won't be busting it out again though til Lost tomorrow night, but I don't see why it won't hold up for all of that.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

The Dave posted:

Well last night I really wanted to watch The Pacific and How to Make it in America on HBO, meaning I had to find something that would occupy Taziki for a solid 90 minutes. I do have some treats that can do that job but I decided to try a new one, I got her a StarMark Everlasting Treat Ball.

So far the results have been promising, took about 100 minutes of straight gnawing, and I think it can go longer. I won't be busting it out again though til Lost tomorrow night, but I don't see why it won't hold up for all of that.

Looks like a really good idea for a product -- was about to order one for Bean, but it looks like the big treats you put on the ends have soy protein as the first listed ingredient.

Is it true that soy is bad for dogs? Did a quick Google search, I read that it can trigger bloat which can be fatal, but it was on one of those user-submitted answer sites. I tend to avoid soy for Beanie, though.

Edit: My bad. The one that comes with the ball seems to be wheat and chicken meal; the refills are the ones with the soy protein.
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1003208&CoreCat=Accessories_Product

A.s.P. fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 16, 2010

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I forgot to update! Corgi is now named Ellie. She's adapting excellently to our home. She was spayed last week and healing very well.

She's also the anti-Corgi. She's eating, but not finishing everything we give her. She doesn't really care about treats. She prefers to lay around and be a Corgi-rug rather than do Corgi things, and I have not heard her bark. Not. Even. Once.

Is my Corgi broken?

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

RabbitMage posted:

I forgot to update! Corgi is now named Ellie. She's adapting excellently to our home. She was spayed last week and healing very well.

She's also the anti-Corgi. She's eating, but not finishing everything we give her. She doesn't really care about treats. She prefers to lay around and be a Corgi-rug rather than do Corgi things, and I have not heard her bark. Not. Even. Once.

Is my Corgi broken?

I don't know that I would worry too much about her not finishing her food. Our vet told us that the feeding guideline on the kibble bags are generally overestimations. As for treats, if she might just already be full. Or you just haven't found something she particularly cares for yet. Take this with a grain of salt because Snaps is a fully grown 17 lb forever puppy.

My older Corgi is an uncertified bark therapist with wonderful references. Her fees are very reasonable if you are interested. She also plays Scrabble.
P.S. It turns out I look like a dumbass when I am thinking about words.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

amishsexpot posted:

Edit: My bad. The one that comes with the ball seems to be wheat and chicken meal; the refills are the ones with the soy protein.
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1003208&CoreCat=Accessories_Product

Well I'll try to compare all the boxes and stuff when I get a chance, would also like to hear if anyone has anything else more concrete on soy + dogs.

We tried to recreate the product image. It didn't work as well with Taziki being a spaz. She chewed on it for about 60 minutes last night, so 160 minutes so far, but she has it worn down pretty good. I think for Lost tonight I'll just rip out one of the treats and see how long that last outside of the ball.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

RabbitMage posted:

Is my Corgi broken?

Beanie doesn't eat all that much either. She gets a few treats during the day, and has 2 meals daily, usually around 1/4 to 1/2 cup dry food each time (sometimes a bit of wet food mixed in). It's way under what the bags suggest you give your dogs -- I agree they tend to overestimate so you go through the food faster/buy more sooner.

Also The Dave your doggie is ridiculously cute! :3:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Durr, wrong thread.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 17, 2010

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Magic Hate Ball posted:

From the Corgi thread:

I think you meant to put this in the Quotes thread :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hey amishsexpot and everyone else, I checked the back of the package for both the Everlasting Treat Ball and the chicken flavored refills I have and neither list Soy as an ingredient. I can't speak for the other flavors though.

We'll see how it lasts into night 3, Taziki is also only 3 and a half months old so it's not like these are adult teeth going into it. The benefit of it though is she can't get her back teeth on the treat part and break into it, can only lick or use front teeth.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

lu lu lu posted:

I think you meant to put this in the Quotes thread :)

Haha, I was wondering where my post went. :saddowns:

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Hey guys - Frank and I were out playing with the chuck it earlier and now he's limping :( There was no spot where I noticed him limping while we were playing, and no moment where he yelped or came up slow. Just a regular old ball playing time.

It's his front left paw. I checked the pads and his nails to see if there were any cuts or quick showing, nothing. I put his paw in my hand and just touched pretty much everywhere on his paw, arm and into the shoulder and he doesn't make a peep.

Other than the limping, you couldn't tell anything was wrong with him. Any ideas? Wife and I are going to keep an eye on him for a bit and then take him to the vet if he doesn't get better or starts to start whine. Any guess what's going on? Think it's just a strain from over working or?

EDIT: Already walked it off significantly. He's definitely feeling better already and looks like it was just a bit of a strain.

Eff Jay fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 19, 2010

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

On today's episode of What will Taziki do Next? she stops mid-walk to roll on her back and play tug of war on her leash.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Our breeder sent us a few new pictures of Loki. He's still too young to bring home, but we pick him up in a few weeks.

I'm pretty surprised on how well his ears are standing at 7-8 weeks. Our first corgi almost had to be taped, but just magically started standing one day.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

^^ Those last two posts make me miss little Beanie as a smaller pup! Awwww.. :3:

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
A Corgi thread? Allow me to introduce Daisy (strangely, one of the only tri-colors i've seen in this thread.)

Here she is hiding under the coffee table when we first got her three years ago.

Mesmerized by her favorite blue ball (this image unaltered, surprisingly)

"I loving love the poo poo outta flowers"

Is my Corgi the only one who loves playing with frisbees? she'll chase and catch that thing until she is literally about to pass out!

Fun in the water.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MisterFusion posted:

Is my Corgi the only one who loves playing with frisbees? she'll chase and catch that thing until she is literally about to pass out!

I really want to get Taziki to become good with frisbees as she gets older but right now she just has her baby brain and doesn't think to catch it in air. Odd because she loves to jump to get toys so maybe she'll put the two together eventually.

She also had her first day at the park and after an hour and a half is passsssed out on my bed. Wish I took some pics or videos there but was too busy.

I would love to get to a point where I could unleash her at a park and not be worried but I don't think I can get over my own personal anxiety. Anyone have any experience with this? My girlfriend has two Shitzus who are perfect off leash but I think I'm way too much of a nervous Nelly. (And obviously I wouldn't do it if I didn't think the dog would be controllable off leash. She's pretty good with coming back to her name and always looks for me when she gets a lead but she's still very easily distracted.)

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010

The Dave posted:

I really want to get Taziki to become good with frisbees as she gets older but right now she just has her baby brain and doesn't think to catch it in air. Odd because she loves to jump to get toys so maybe she'll put the two together eventually.

She also had her first day at the park and after an hour and a half is passsssed out on my bed. Wish I took some pics or videos there but was too busy.

I would love to get to a point where I could unleash her at a park and not be worried but I don't think I can get over my own personal anxiety. Anyone have any experience with this? My girlfriend has two Shitzus who are perfect off leash but I think I'm way too much of a nervous Nelly. (And obviously I wouldn't do it if I didn't think the dog would be controllable off leash. She's pretty good with coming back to her name and always looks for me when she gets a lead but she's still very easily distracted.)

I'm the same way when it comes to park anxiety. I'm pretty much convinced that my three year old Daisy would be perfectly fine off her lease at the park, but I just am unwilling to risk it. I don't know why she took so well to the frisbee though. She doesn't really like balls or chew toys or anything like that, she just absolutely loves chasing after that frisbee! I thought, at one point, that perhaps it's just a corgi thing. Who knows?

White1ce
Jul 31, 2003
IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY AS AN SA FORUMS MEMBER TO RUIN ALL OF THE THREADS I POST. IF I EVER POST A THREAD, TROLL IT!!!

MisterFusion posted:

Fun in the water.

Our dogs are identical

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

OK now that is just uncanny.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

The Dave posted:

On today's episode of What will Taziki do Next? she stops mid-walk to roll on her back and play tug of war on her leash.

Milhouse does this EVERY TIME we are in the elevator going down for a walk. Then when the doors open he is back to normal. I swear he is so OCD/Odd/Retarded.

Also pictures:

This has a very Fear and Loathing in Las Vega feel to it.

PUT DOG TREAT HERE

This is from when Mil had to go to the doctor. He knows when hes in the "they stick a thermometer up my butt" room.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Full lock down nub mode

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

MisterFusion posted:

A Corgi thread? Allow me to introduce Daisy (strangely, one of the only tri-colors i've seen in this thread.)

there were four different tri-colors on this very page :confused:

mockingbee
May 7, 2003

This is Dazzle. She was spayed Tuesday and is bouncing back very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoveliestRedhead
Feb 2, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a forums account so we could spend more time together. On the internet.

The Dave posted:

I was super-paranoid about letting my corgi off-leash at first, but I just stepped her into it. At first it was in the small dogs pen that is rarely used, then on-leash in the big area, then off leash but keeping her close by with commands, and now we just let her do whatever. She usually just ends up going straight for the water, go figure.

By the way, the stepping-down was all for my benefit, I think Allison would've done just fine from the get-go.

Bonus pic of corgi eating yogurt:

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

• Locked thread