Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

page not found posted:

Three opponents, actually :eng101:

1) His "no eyebrows" opponent (numbah two).
2) The Dempsey Roll introduction.
3) God-mode against the wonderboy guy that was supposed to wrap up his time as a Japanese champ. Karasawa? I forget the name.

And it's a shame there aren't more :( Let Ippo's focus drift to personal life on occasion and have boxing take a back seat. Y'know, have him doing it but no OMG MUST TRAIN FOR DAYS FOR HIS SUNDAY PUNCH. Maybe more stuff with Kumi and Mashiba. Always interesting :v: Albeit rare :negative:

What about the korean dude before the Takamura/Hawk fight? He was pretty dominant (thought admittedly pretty lucky as well) in that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He also beat the living hell out of Geromichi.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

And really coach's stance has been "I am here to witness takamura rise to greatness, but my real calling is to train ippo because it is my style not only my gym that will make him a champion" and he really hasn't been executing on that.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

And really coach's stance has been "I am here to witness takamura rise to greatness, but my real calling is to train ippo because it is my style not only my gym that will make him a champion" and he really hasn't been executing on that.
Exactly my point :( Coach needs to un-worthless his old rear end in the coming chapters. Right after Ippo rips off Woli's head and devours his liver to obtain his monkey skills.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I don't remember what shape Date is in because I read through the manga 5 years or so ago, but how awesome would it be if Kamogawa retired and Date took over training Ippo to beat Martinez? It would probably take a Woli loss for something like this to happen, but it would be so much better than, "Ippo pulls out retard strength to beat Woli, Coach has him run on the beach while juggling coconuts for 5 issues in preperation for the next fight where Ippo takes 8 rounds of punches and then gets one lucky hit to the jaw to win."

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

CaptainRat posted:

I don't remember what shape Date is in because I read through the manga 5 years or so ago, but how awesome would it be if Kamogawa retired and Date took over training Ippo to beat Martinez? It would probably take a Woli loss for something like this to happen, but it would be so much better than, "Ippo pulls out retard strength to beat Woli, Coach has him run on the beach while juggling coconuts for 5 issues in preperation for the next fight where Ippo takes 8 rounds of punches and then gets one lucky hit to the jaw to win."

The problem with that is, at very least from what we have seen, date has been made explicitly out to be a bad trainer, or at least a trainer whose fighter keeps losing. Coach is supposed to be legendary (as far as the universe is concerned) even if to viewers it's fairly obvious he's doing nothing.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Hey, you guys try to train a downs baby with a talent for taking punches. Not so easy, is it!

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
I badly, BADLY want to see Ippo lose this one. A bit of soul searching about the higher level of people he's going to fight and a poo poo ton of training (Grab... THIRTY leaves.) and then have him fight somebody else who isn't Woli, as well as setting up Woli in Miyata's place as Ippo's rival.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't think anyone wants to see Woli again after this, except as a one panel takedown where Aoki trains and frog punches him.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Chinaman7000 posted:

I don't think anyone wants to see Woli again after this, except as a one panel takedown where he gets hit by a bus.

And yeah, the last I remembered of Date he wasn't training anyone, so if he's actually a lousy trainer I guess that wouldn't work. Although he would still be better than Kamogawa :iceburn:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aren't we past due for another raw disappointment?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Aren't we past due for another raw disappointment?
Nah. Raws usually hit the net on late Saturday evening or Sunday. Sometimes Monday if the "source" is lazy :v:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Yeah my problem with the manga now is that it legit feels like Ippo has regressed.

In this fight it was established that Ippo doesn't have to rely on his chin and the dempsey roll to kill everyone but that rather his basic punches were on a good level.

but then he fought black magician and australian monkey man and derp derp gently caress jabs and hooks where we're going we don't need technique to box

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR4BpqG_rfk

Posting this as an example of how quickly a fight can change when one fighter can take a punch and the other can't.

Funny someone would post a Shooto fight in this thread when I just started getting ready to talk about this.

If your hungry for a sports manga that hasn't gotten brutally loving retarded try this http://www.mangafox.com/manga/all_rounder_meguru/

All Rounder Meguru is a manga about Shooto. For those not in the know, Shooto is a Mixed Martial Arts Promotion based out of Japan. Shooto was founded in 1985 and held its first Amateur events in 1986 and Professional events in 1989, Beating both the most famous MMA Promotion to date, the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and one of the earliest Japanese promotions Pancrase, by over 4 years. Shooto is organized a lot better than a lot of the smaller promotions having a clearly defined and well organized amateur system and in my opinion its the sort of system MMA will have to adopt if it expects to ever grow into a cohesive world wide sport like boxing.

Meguru seems to tell the story of two young friends who compete in the Shooto Amateur circuit. The series is completely grounded, even more so than Ippo. No super powers, no secret moves, just realistic training and fights the things I loved most about Ippo. The technical details of the series, either in training or during matches, are really well done and its clear the artist is a fan of the sport. The art is pretty good too, full of fantastic little details, one of my favorite things is that characters in the manga are clearly wearing Rashguards and Shorts made by the popular Japanese company reversal.dogi.design.works (rvddw)

The book is pretty young, I've only managed to find 13 chapters but this book has all the things I loved about Hajime Ippo just in another sport and I hope you guys give it a try.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 7, 2010

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

Yeah my problem with the manga now is that it legit feels like Ippo has regressed.

In this fight it was established that Ippo doesn't have to rely on his chin and the dempsey roll to kill everyone but that rather his basic punches were on a good level.

but then he fought black magician and australian monkey man and derp derp gently caress jabs and hooks where we're going we don't need technique to box

It's funny reading the Karasawa fight then skipping straight ahead to Woli. Ippo looks like he's loving paper thin now compared to back then.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

To be fair people used to bitch a lot about no one in Ippo looking their weight class. Though I liked the bulkier art style more. It fit the over the top punching matches the early fights had better.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

If your hungry for a sports manga that hasn't gotten brutally loving retarded try this http://www.mangafox.com/manga/all_rounder_meguru/
Thanks, this is fantastic!

It's even better when you can relate to the beginning. :buddy:
"Hey, i know you just started but we gonna put you inna match!"
"What"
*Gets repeatedly obliterated in the ring*

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Guyver posted:

To be fair people used to bitch a lot about no one in Ippo looking their weight class. Though I liked the bulkier art style more. It fit the over the top punching matches the early fights had better.

Why? Ippo is short as gently caress.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

887 raw is up! Huzzah for idiots only using lovely upload sites!

Edit: wtf. Ridiculously small pictures. Hopefully something real will come up.

Ippo doesn't seem to get hit for once! He almost goes down, but hooks the rope with his arm. Coach stops himself from throwing the towel, but the Ref seems like he is moving in to end the fight. Seeing the Referee moving over, Ippo does some ridiculously WTF-power-like swing which Woli seems to dodge, as always. But for once, it seems Woli and Miguel are rattled by him. Referee changes his mind about ending it, and the round ends right after that.

Following this, Miguel and Woli remain completely confused as to how Ippo could still function after the pretty brutal cold-cock he took at the end of the previous chapter. It shows a picture of a brain and nerves cut off, etc, so that's what I figure.

Ippo then stands at his corner at the end of the chapter, in the corner, all lit on fire by his legendary samurai spirit. Yeah, what we figured would come has arrived at last :v: Maybe Ippo will go god-mode sometime in the next fifteen chapters. From what I can guess, Miguel is definitely seeing some parallel to Kamogawa in his youth. The whole premise of this fight has been about showing Ippo pull off some victory in spite of being completely outclassed, as was the case in Kamogawa-Sanders. Although, that was far more awesome because Sanders was several weight classes over Kamogawa, recently primed up from training, and world-title caliber. Not some rookie who is god-moding.

Once again, gently caress YOU, MORI. Every time I say "poo poo's gonna happen next time", it never does. I'm hoping that Woli has glass bones or some poo poo, because I want that gently caress to be broken from one single brutal punch. Don't drag this out. gently caress. This has literally been 2-3 graphic novels of dodging.

I'm still hoping they scanslate this fast, though. Or someone translates it. Some on-switch got flicked in Ippo's head in this chapter, because he seems pretty coherent and ready to kick some rear end (or so we'd think) at the end of it, rather than just hoping to gently caress him with his fist.

If you want a HQ scan of the raw, keep an eye on raw-paradise.com (shown in the zip) for it. Otherwise, you can zoom in and get the gist of it.

Edit 2: One of the last lines of the chapter translated via another forum:
Ippo: "I know I can hit him. Keep on standing. It isn't over yet... One more punch. Everything I have left... Let's go!"

My prediction?
Next round will be Ippo closing in. Will probably end with him throwing his punch. Usually this means it won't pay off, but given Mori's pacing, that's probably what he'll go with just to string it along.

Geop fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 7, 2010

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

page not found posted:

887 raw is up! Huzzah for idiots only using lovely upload sites!

Edit: wtf. Ridiculously small pictures. Hopefully something real will come up.

ahahaha jesus christ the logo is a 5 and a half meg bitmap.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
Bigger 887 raw is here from Raw Paradise.

I so want Ippo to rape Woli's rear end with one single punch, just so that this fight will end...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ippo winning this fight is just as ridiculous as an opponent as skilled, able to defy gravity and as fast as Woli.

EDIT: Wait I got it. He takes so much brain damage.. he becomes unbraindamaged.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 8, 2010

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Hey it worked on Scratch J

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

886 is up and translated :v: Hoping 888 will hit the net tonight or tomorrow early on.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Geop posted:

886 is up and translated :v: Hoping 888 will hit the net tonight or tomorrow early on.

Yeah it's up at http://ippo-online.confusticated.com/

I almost enjoyed that chapter. It actually felt like some progress was being made. Well, up until the climax that is.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

gently caress, that last panel still looks as painful as hell :psyduck:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

gently caress, that last panel still looks as painful as hell :psyduck:

How is Ippo so loving stupid? Why would he do something that has failed over and over again? God. Even if Ippo were some kind of natural physical genius, you still have to have some common sense to be a good boxer.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Ytlaya posted:

How is Ippo so loving stupid? Why would he do something that has failed over and over again? God. Even if Ippo were some kind of natural physical genius, you still have to have some common sense to be a good boxer.

he's half unconscious dude, logic doesn't really come into it at this point.

I mean you can say anything else about these chapters, but not that he's not aware of his surroundings enough. If anything, he's way too aware of what's going on around him, for being beaten half to death.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
The next chapter had better pay off so loving big it makes my eyes bleed. What the loving gently caress is this nonsense?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

888 Raw is up (lovely upload site from Raw Paradise).

Guess what?

Another cliffhanger! To be expected. Ippo gets popped once in the face, but most of the chapter is Ippo throwing out combos (all of which Woli dodges) when he supposedly had "one punch left".

Miguel is freaking the gently caress out nearing the end, for some reason though. I think maybe Ippo's swings are getting faster/closer or something and he doesn't like how that looks. That or he predicts what happens at the end and tells Woli to go for the kill.

At the end of the chapter, Woli prepares to clock Ippo again after he misses another swing, but it seems his feet aren't responding (focuses on his dominant ankle, and it's shaking) as hinted earlier. Seems like my guess of him running out of gas without knowing it is right :v: To which, Ippo pulls out an "ABOUT TIME" face, and the chapter ends with him readying another punch.

I knew he wouldn't have landed a blow this week. Mori's pacing isn't like that. Figured there'd be a week lead-in. Now, if it doesn't happen next week, I'll genuinely be upset. Also, some folks are siding with Ippo's bodyblows somehow doing TSUBO SPOT type poo poo to Woli, but I hope that isn't the case. I'd prefer the guy wearing himself out without realizing it.

Geop fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 14, 2010

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
oh so we're back to the corner, eh? IT IS WHERE HE IS IN HIS JUNGLE-LIKE ELEMENT!! TURN LEFT IPPO, NOOOOO

predictions? my prediction...pain.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the jungle, there is no gravity.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm actually going to be sad when this is over, because now it's like an Andy Kaufman bit.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think the perfect troll would be to just have this fight continue on loop forever, and see exactly how long it takes for all of it's dedicated fans to explode in anger.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Chinaman7000 posted:

I think the perfect troll would be to just have this fight continue on loop forever, and see exactly how long it takes for all of it's dedicated fans to explode in anger.

I once took an IQ test like that, it was pretty hilarious.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Also, evidently, there's no chapter next week.

:mad: gently caress you, Mori.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Geop posted:

Also, evidently, there's no chapter next week.

:mad: gently caress you, Mori.

But think, this extra week will give him a chance to create an epic conclusion...:saddowns:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
They should have just released any one of the other chapters from this fight again to see if anyone would have noticed.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
oh nooo look out ippo woli the genius is coming for you quick coach throw in the towel, what do i do now that i've poked his abs six times coach help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Next chapter:

THE END