Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
It is highly representative of the garbage within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the way you say that makes it seem like the nakedness, mold arm and fox sword are what make the picture bad, when in fact it is the dudes stupid face that does that

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's really a complete package of awful.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
In the grim darkness of Athas, psionic powers make you grow a mons veneris on your head.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

Tyr was well done. My main problem is you spent about half the game exploring underground tunnels. Exploring caves and killing poo poo is core D&D, but seems like a cop-out in a Dark Sun game.

I was actually going to bring this up. Caves, especially on a world that used to have so much water, are natural formations and might even have underground lakes and streams... if you can get past all the horrors under the mountain.

Mostly I think I want to have PCs fight a desiccated undead whale.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
the party finds out about a rumoured source of pure, clear water that could supposedly sustain a small settlement indefinitely. they set out to find it and after struggling through forgotten horrors amidst blood and tears, they find the underground spring, only to discover that the reservoir it feeds into has been utterly fouled by the undead cave whale and will take decades to come clean even with someone actively trying to drain and cleanse it

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
even so the tainted water cave represents untold riches for any group that can think in the long term like a merchant house. Someday your grandchildren will be billionares

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Mile'ionaha posted:

I was actually going to bring this up. Caves, especially on a world that used to have so much water, are natural formations and might even have underground lakes and streams... if you can get past all the horrors under the mountain.

Mostly I think I want to have PCs fight a desiccated undead whale.

That's a cool idea. Also, if you don't want undead taint, you can use the Aboleths like we were talking about a couple pages back.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with exploring caves and dungeons in Dark Sun. I had a problem in that game with exploring a ton of caves and no desert locations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Liesmith posted:

even so the tainted water cave represents untold riches for any group that can think in the long term like a merchant house. Someday your grandchildren will be billionares

yes that is why it is a bittersweet victory. your life will still be total bullshit but if you have kids... :unsmith:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

yes that is why it is a bittersweet victory. your life will still be total bullshit but if you have kids... :unsmith:

Then a merchant house psionic spy finds out and kicks your group out by hiring lots of mercs/corrupt templar and claims it, stealing away all of the hard work that you have done.

To make sure you don't rat them out to the competition they dump you off in the middle of the wasteland with no supplies :smith:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Apropos of the psionics mention, does anyone else want to build a templar ardent, and play it as a 40k commissar translated to Athas?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zikan posted:

Then a merchant house psionic spy finds out and kicks your group out by hiring lots of mercs/corrupt templar and claims it, stealing away all of the hard work that you have done.

To make sure you don't rat them out to the competition they dump you off in the middle of the wasteland with no supplies :smith:

if you run a merchant house and don't have fantastic psionic defenses you deserve what you get

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That really applies to any organization on Athas.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, that was something mentioned in the Gladiator's handbook.

Since everyone in the region is psychic to some degree, templars have to be assigned to specifically watch for psionic interference during matches.

I'm sure most merchant companies and Veiled Alliance cells take similar precautions.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Liesmith posted:

As common as undead are in Athas, someday you can be the billionare. :zombie:

Evil Fiend
Apr 30, 2003

I've been watching the new Spartacus series and been getting a strong Dark Sun vibe from a lot of it. Exotic weapons, harsh living, corruption and cheapness of life. Pretty good inspiration material.

s19aw
Oct 29, 2004
Hey guys, anyone want to play in a Dark Sun game?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Evil Fiend posted:

I've been watching the new Spartacus series and been getting a strong Dark Sun vibe from a lot of it. Exotic weapons, harsh living, corruption and cheapness of life. Pretty good inspiration material.

That's also the series where Lucy Lawless is topless, right?

Evil Fiend
Apr 30, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, it's also the series where pretty much every one is naked at some point, including full frontal.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

So it is a cheap ripoff of Rome.

Evil Fiend
Apr 30, 2003

I'd say more a cheap combination of Rome, 300 and Gladiator. I've been liking it though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

This man cuts right to the chase.

Zombiehobo
Oct 8, 2007

Squizzle posted:

This man cuts right to the chase.

It came up immediately because it is the most important fact about the show.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I've been waiting since the mid-nineties to see those.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I was looking at the battlemind in PHB3, and really struck by the number of powers--plus an entire paragon path--whose flavor either is or can be very easily reskinned to be the conversion of all or part of the character's body to iron.

Holy crap, how much of a liability would that be on Athas? It reminds me of the much earlier discussion of the warforged party member, It's Always Dark Sunny in Philadelphia, etc.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

At least you can yell, "jokes on you, rear end in a top hat," as you hold your bloody stump and watch your recently cut off sword arm turn back into flesh.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

I've been waiting since the mid-nineties to see those.

late 80's early 90's. Hey Dude was the greatest TV show ever.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Lucy Lawless wasn't on Hey Dude. Perhaps you are thinking of Ben Stiller's hot wife.

Also, slightly back on topic: I'm casting Lucy as Neeva in my dreams. :fap:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
He's probably thinking of this fine young actress:

Her name is apparently Kelly Brown. Ahh, Hey Dude... What a show that was. The memories...

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 19, 2010

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Today's wizards.com content: surprisingly useful for Dark Sun. The shaman article is balls-awesome for elemental priests, and the preview for The Plane Above has me wanting to engage skimmer piracy on the high silt.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Man, now you got me wanting to combine my players' love of Hornblower with my earlier ideas about starting a trading house.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

PeterWeller posted:

Man, now you got me wanting to combine my players' love of Hornblower with my earlier ideas about starting a trading house.

Horatio Hornblower is great. It's fun to see how little has changed about the experience of being a young officer on a ship in the lest few centuries.

Though I'm just a poser who's seen the mini-series. I've haven't gotten a chance to read the books yet. :(

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

You know those magic wands with an at-will-as-encounter power? Give the wands pistol grips. The wizard wears a brace of them.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Saving that one for if we ever do Spelljammer.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Spelljammer: the second-best official setting.

(Confession, I never liked the giff.)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Neogi rule.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Neogi lurking like trapdoor spiders near oases in the wastes, waiting to grab the unwary and drag them into the Undersands, the cavernous Desert Below, to become slaves or worse.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Worse being food for the fattened egg sacks that are their overlord. Also alliteration ahoy. Dark Sun: Sailing the Silt Sea in a Spider Ship.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I was thinking being disabled--either physically or psychically--shoved into a side-cavern, and implanted with the eggs themselves.

Edit: But being kept alive! Because of the eggs needing to parasitise your biological processes as they develop. Also the horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I like the patriarchs or whatever also being giant egg sacks, but hey, all those little neogi cuties are going to need something to munch on after they pop out of grandpa's tummy.

• Locked thread