Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Caspian and Mono within almost a month of each other :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

androo posted:

So I guess I've come to this thread hoping for a few big suggestions. Are the recent Do Make Say Think albums worth checking out? Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn is one of my favorite albums ever still, did they keep that up? Have Mogwai gotten better since stumbling a bit after Mr. Beast?

DMST is still my favorite band, and I really liked both You, You're a History in Rust, which is a little bit folksy at times but also has some great moments, and The Other Truths which feels a lot closer to Winter Hymm...

As for Mogwai, I liked Hawk is Howling but I can't really remember now how any of those songs went. Worth checking out imo

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SlowlyChoking posted:

Tomorrow I'm getting tickets for Mono in Milwaukee. Too bad it's not until the end of May which sucks. Anyone else going?

Hm, how much are tickets? I'm close enough I might consider going...

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Caspian and Mono within almost a month of each other :swoon:

So jealous :sigh:

http://temporaryresidence.com/descriptions/trr159.php posted:

To celebrate their 10th anniversary as a band - and the release of their acclaimed new album Hymn To The Immortal Wind - MONO and Temporary Residence Limted organized a once-in-a-lifetime concert in New York City. In association with the esteemed Wordless Music Series, MONO super-sized their already legendary live show with a 24-piece orchestra. Painstakingly recorded and mixed by famed producer Matt Bayles (Mastodon, ISIS, Minus The Bear), Holy Ground brilliantly captures every moment of whispered calm and breathless beauty with patient clarity. Included with the album is a stunning live DVD documenting the entire 90-minute performance, featuring live orchestral versions of many of MONO's most beloved songs. For a decade fans have clamored for a MONO album that matches the catharsis of their infamous live shows, and Holy Ground overwhelmingly delivers. The awe-striking 3xLP vinyl format - strictly limited to 3,000 copies - is packaged in a heavyweight triple-gatefold jacket, and includes the DVD as well as a bonus track not included on the CD format.

Damnit TRL, don't I give you enough of my money as it is? :argh:

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.

Lawnie posted:

Hm, how much are tickets? I'm close enough I might consider going...

They were only $12. The Twilight Sad are opening for them which is strange, but I enjoy them as well.

SlowlyChoking fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 10, 2010

sisonpyh
Dec 9, 2005

Just the tip LeBron. Just the tip.
Let me just recommend Beware of Safety. Criminally underrated and unknown which is a travesty. They're playing down here in LA/San Diego with Caspian on the 25th/26th :woop:

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

So.loving.Stoked.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Why can't it be April 26th now? :(

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Rhgr posted:

So.loving.Stoked.

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

No poo poo, I am marking April 26 on my calendar RIGHT now

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

That album artwork is really cool. April 26th feels really far away :(

I also can't wait for the new Ef album either, the few songs that they've released sound really good.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
gently caress that cover is good.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Cover is a couple of burds kissing innit. Top class. Excited for this.

Anyway, loving LOVING the work of Caspian (Tertia in particular) and Constants (all). gently caress yes!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
^ That's actually a guy on the right.

sisonpyh posted:

Let me just recommend Beware of Safety. Criminally underrated and unknown which is a travesty. They're playing down here in LA/San Diego with Caspian on the 25th/26th :woop:

BoS is a pretty good act, yea. They have this song "Kaura" that has the most thunderous, singled out kick drum and snare hit in it.

And that 65dos cover is pretty sick. It actually looks like something that would come out of Warp with the text like that. Does anyone know the font? It looks like Swis721 but it could be something that's just very similar.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bucket Joneses posted:

And by right, you mean left.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Bucket Joneses posted:

To be fair, if it wasn't for the Adam's apple, I would've had it down as two girls too.

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

Jan posted:

Hahaha. Looking forward to May when they're in Bristol and playing somewhere other than the boat :)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I like the boat.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Anyone heard the 65DOS single (Week 4), yet? It's out in Japan apparently.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jan posted:

In hindsight, yes.

I'd have sex with either of them, though.

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

Junkenstein posted:

I like the boat.

I do as well, it would be the 3rd time though so a change is nice :)

ICA posted:

Anyone heard the 65DOS single (Week 4), yet? It's out in Japan apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSRNguNpp54

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Not sure if The Echelon Effect has been mentioned, but a few days ago I downloaded their free 4-EP set "Wires and Tapes" and really enjoy it. It totals over 2 hours of very mellow ambient-ish post-rock (I suck at describing things), and as an added interest, the last song on the 4th EP sort of loops back to the first song on the first EP so you can listen to it continuously.

Anyway it's awesome:
http://postrockcommunity.blogspot.com/2010/02/echelon-effect-wires-and-tapes.html
(Download links are at the bottom)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aiua, the post-rock band I'm in, has a new song up! It's just called "5" for now, because it's going to be the 5th song on our upcoming album. No official name yet, though.

http://www.myspace.com/aiuaband

I'm interested to know what you guys think :)

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Ash.W posted:

I do as well, it would be the 3rd time though so a change is nice :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSRNguNpp54

Thanks man but gently caress live versions of new songs.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
This Will Destroy You have a demo video of one of the tracks from their upcoming album "Tunnel Blanket":

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=7333792&blogId=530686925

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Ash.W posted:

Hahaha. Looking forward to May when they're in Bristol and playing somewhere other than the boat :)

I'll be going to this. Are you going to The Album leaf on sunday?

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

ICA posted:

Thanks man but gently caress live versions of new songs.

I've got you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1u881YbYU

I love it so much, can't wait till may 15th so I can see them live.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Rhgr posted:

I've got you covered.

Thank man. Liking it after the 3rd listen. Sounded a bit too flat and computer game-y but it's growing on me.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Rhgr posted:

I've got you covered.

This is awesome. I always figured Dance Parties was just a "what would happen if we tried techno" kind of thing but after hearing this I hope they just run with it. 65DOS is the band that got me into post-rock so needless to say I'm pretty excited for this new album.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

So it looks like Red Sparowes didn't feel like disappointing (COUGH PELICAN COUGH) and churned out a fantastic album.

Bass is so good on it, too.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
It's leaked then? seemingly so.. gently caress, something excellent to listen to tomorrow. No thoughts on the new 65D0S song then?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
So I'm back from Dublin, having seen ASMZ Thursday evening. I have to say, that was one of my all-time favorite concerts. The set list was: Metal Bird; There Is A Light; God Bless Our Dead Marines; 'Piphany Rambler; 1,000,000 Died To Make This Sound; and the encore was Microphones in the Trees. I need to find a recorded version of that last one, it was so great, and so different from the album version.
So yeah, A+ show, go and see them if you're near!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I listened to the first 20 seconds of Weak4 and I must say, I need to know more about this group. However, they have a poo poo ton of EPs and studio albums.

Inform me bitches.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

-Atom- posted:

I listened to the first 20 seconds of Weak4 and I must say, I need to know more about this group. However, they have a poo poo ton of EPs and studio albums.

Inform me bitches.

Go to 65kids.com and grab the Unreleased/Unreleasables and the remixes. Also get The Fall Of Math and One Time For All Time. Actually, just get everything.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

-Atom- posted:

Inform me bitches.

Their techno-y sound is a new thing, check out The Distant and Mechanised Glow of Eastern European Dance Parties EP. But yeah, everything they've put out is amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

One Time For All Time and The Fall Of Math are the most memorable for me. They've got all my favorites on them.

One Time has Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here, Await Rescue, Mean Low Water, 65 Doesn't Understand You and Radio Protector. The Fall Of Math has Install A Break, Retreat! Retreat!, I Swallowed Hard, This Cat Is A Landmine, Hole and Aren't We All Running?.

To be honest, though, I've only listened to The Destruction Of Small Ideas once all the way through. That was when it first came out, and I haven't listened to it since. It didn't really make much of an impression on me. Maybe I should try it again, but I just know it didn't hit me nearly as hard as One Time / Fall Of Math did.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

It's not as immediate, but it's still a bloody good album. Turn it up loud for decent effect.

I personally love the new sound, I love the older mashup stuff they did. Well worth grabbing if you don't already have it!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

One Time has Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here, Await Rescue, Mean Low Water, 65 Doesn't Understand You and Radio Protector. The Fall Of Math has Install A Break, Retreat! Retreat!, I Swallowed Hard, This Cat Is A Landmine, Hole and Aren't We All Running??

I like post rock and 65dos and all but this paragraph made me realize how horribly dumb post rock song titles are :(

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006
I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to some awesome bands (really digging the Japanese stuff right now).

I posted this in the free MP3 thread, but I'm curious what the post-rock nerds of NMD think of my friend's band, I Spell It Nature.

http://ispellitnature.bandcamp.com/

:lost: fans might hear a bit of an eko in 'of, relating to, or resembling a colossus'

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

I'm disappointed that the new Red Sparowes album has short song titles :(

Still a really good album though and that new TWDY song is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Lincolnstein posted:

I'm disappointed that the new Red Sparowes album has short song titles :(

I know, I feel like a pretentious rear end in a top hat for missing them, but in retrospect, they were really endearing for me (especially on Every Red Heart Shines Towards The Sun.