Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Making a browser game but I can't make graphics for poo poo. My nebula looked kinda okay though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

drcru posted:

Making a browser game but I can't make graphics for poo poo. My nebula looked kinda okay though!
Oh my god, why is your universe full of equals signs?

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH

It's an iPhone app utility for tracking how much you get paid while taking a dump (or any other retarded activity such as terrible meetings).

I just submitted it to the app store. Hopefully they will allow my illustrations of butts in the UI.

Here's the URL: http://crapulatorapp.com

fryzoy
Sep 21, 2005
What.
Currently working on a level editor for some lovely 2D Zelda-like online game.

The game's map is made up of several small levels that are combined into one big map. Previously the editor only supported editing of a single level at a time, but I'm currently working on editable big maps.

Using GTK with GLArea to render the level with OpenGL.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

LOLLERZ posted:

Oh my god, why is your universe full of equals signs?

I couldn't come up with ways to show they're connected to each other :smith:

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

drcru posted:

You could put a big-rear end wall between the ones that aren't connected. Space has walls, right?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

drcru posted:

Well I mean it's basically a graph, right? You can travel between squares (nodes) along equals-signs (edges). If you turned it into a graph representation with little stars for each node and little hyperspace lanes for each edge, it would probably look pretty cool.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well I mean it's basically a graph, right? You can travel between squares (nodes) along equals-signs (edges). If you turned it into a graph representation with little stars for each node and little hyperspace lanes for each edge, it would probably look pretty cool.
Well I mean it's basically a sparse matrix, right? You can travel between squares (rows) along equals-signs (ones). If you turned it into a sparse matrix representation with little stars for each row and little hyperspace lanes for each column, it would probably look pretty cool.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

LOLLERZ posted:

Well I mean it's basically a sparse matrix, right? You can travel between squares (rows) along equals-signs (ones). If you turned it into a sparse matrix representation with little stars for each row and little hyperspace lanes for each column, it would probably look pretty cool.

Oh, you mean it's like one of the standard implementations of a graph? Oh ok.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's supposed to have little space stations and crap visible there too though. Imagine there are pictures there instead:

I like the hyperspace lane idea though, not sure how I can make it work yet though.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

loud-bob posted:

It's an iPhone app utility for tracking how much you get paid while taking a dump

This is inspired.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

drcru posted:

It's supposed to have little space stations and crap visible there too though. Imagine there are pictures there instead:

That shouldn't be any harder, really.

drcru posted:

I like the hyperspace lane idea though, not sure how I can make it work yet though.

The reason I suggest a graph is because there are known algorithms for graph layouts that make sure the graph looks "nice", meaning you can focus on the data for your game and not have to worry about where to put everything. Here's a paper describing some of it, with references to other papers you can look up for more detail: http://www.cs.brown.edu/~rt/papers/gd-tutorial/gd-constraints.pdf

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

The reason I suggest a graph is because there are known algorithms for graph layouts that make sure the graph looks "nice", meaning you can focus on the data for your game and not have to worry about where to put everything. Here's a paper describing some of it, with references to other papers you can look up for more detail: http://www.cs.brown.edu/~rt/papers/gd-tutorial/gd-constraints.pdf

Jesus that document is incredible and I feel like a giant loving nerd for thinking so. I feel even worse for having thought "This is even more exciting than PEP8!"

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Thanks for the graph theory :science: link. It gave me a horrible flashback to my MACM classes :smith: but it's worth a try.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

loud-bob posted:

Haha, Jackson's face owns.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

loud-bob posted:

This is something I've always joked about. I'm sure you'll sell a bunch.

And now we'll know who plays with their phone on the shitter at work.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Inverse Icarus posted:

And now we'll know who plays with their phone on the shitter at work.

Why, what do you use your phone for?

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...

fryzoy posted:

Currently working on a level editor for some lovely 2D Zelda-like online game.

Haha is this Graal?

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy

SuddenExpire posted:

Haha is this Graal?

Yup.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Graal seriously still exists? Wow.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006
Oh god not Graal.

Never played it, actually.

But I remember it being a competitor to the lovely 2d rpg's I played... Odyssey most notably!

Nibelheim
Jul 7, 2006

A phD student at my university is currently building a homemade 4' x 4' multitouch table, and we had to come up with a quick tool / widget that could be implemented on it. My friend and I decided to build a optical physics game where you had to manipulate mirrors to reflect a laser towards a target. The game has been done before, but we thought it could be fun to directly manipulate the mirrors using the table and add a little flavor to it (i.e moving lasers requiring you to have two players control a few mirrors each).

The table uses TUIO to communicate with software, and it was surprisingly easy to incorporate it in XNA.

A quick, but fun assignement. Hoping to get a few more things running on the table in the future.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

Nibelheim posted:

I thought that was some kind of pong game with twistable paddles at first. You could probably do that as well :)

Nibelheim
Jul 7, 2006

Gashroom posted:

I thought that was some kind of pong game with twistable paddles at first. You could probably do that as well :)

One team actually did that. I think it's the first thing that comes to mind when you try to come up with a game for a multitouch table.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Jesus I'm going to make myself look like an rear end with all those awesome stuff you guys do.
For my part I've been working on a game clone because I wanted to get back into C++ game programming and wanted to discover SFML, I only do standard C at work and no such thing as fancy graphics etc..

I'm starting slowly and then hopefully I'll do some more interesting stuff.

Also sup' satellites buddies

ESA GAIA

edit: I know that a grey piece over a grey background = very bad.. but I'm not much a graphic person and I did not want to spend ages on this game, it was just to get back into it.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Just make the gray pieces white instead?

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
Oh Rick you crazy graphics designer you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I started playing around with php, and decided to create a little forum.

It's been a fun project so far.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Perl image -> irc image converter that's about halfway to where I want it to be

Compare to [own hosting]

As currently implemented the color-picking algo is embarassingly bad, I'll repost when it gets better

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

I'm trying to make something like Civilization, but on a real globe. Also, that's a genuine Winkel tripel projection in the corner. Hell yeah!

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Compare to [own hosting]

As currently implemented the color-picking algo is embarassingly bad, I'll repost when it gets better

That looks pretty awesome! Have you considered doing some scaling to account for the fact that the blocks of colour are rectangular, not square?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jonnty posted:

That looks pretty awesome! Have you considered doing some scaling to account for the fact that the blocks of colour are rectangular, not square?

I considered it, but I haven't started doing it yet. I'm using a Perl interface to Imlib2 that provides a fair amount of scaling options so it's doable without much trouble, but preliminary results squashing the image ~25-33% in Paint.Net before passing it to my converter tended to eat detail badly - I limit output to 80 "pixels" wide, which is difficult enough to produce something legible with even without correcting for pixel shape. If I can improve the output enough that I can get consistently good results before correction though, I'll certainly look into applying it.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I considered it, but I haven't started doing it yet. I'm using a Perl interface to Imlib2 that provides a fair amount of scaling options so it's doable without much trouble, but preliminary results squashing the image ~25-33% in Paint.Net before passing it to my converter tended to eat detail badly - I limit output to 80 "pixels" wide, which is difficult enough to produce something legible with even without correcting for pixel shape. If I can improve the output enough that I can get consistently good results before correction though, I'll certainly look into applying it.

Cool. Do let us know when it's ready, I'd love to try it out when it's done.

snowbee
Oct 1, 2003

A way to get more square-ish blocks is by using a half block character and setting the background colour.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Compare to [own hosting]

I made a similar thing for my bot, but didn't do the image scaling, I think I'll be stealing that.

My color picking looked for the smallest value on: abs(imagered - ircred) + abs(imagegreen - ircgreen) + abs(imageblue - ircblue)
imagex would be the pixel values from the image, and ircx would be the pixel values for each of the possible IRC colors

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Have you guys looked at any of the source to the old GIF/PCX to ANSI converters? They should be in Pascal which is pretty easy to understand.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

HappyHippo posted:

I'm trying to make something like Civilization, but on a real globe. Also, that's a genuine Winkel tripel projection in the corner. Hell yeah!

Cool! I've been thinking about something along those lines lately myself. How did you map the hexes to a sphere? My thinking was to basically have two hex circles, and overlap them at the equator.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Hubis posted:

Cool! I've been thinking about something along those lines lately myself. How did you map the hexes to a sphere? My thinking was to basically have two hex circles, and overlap them at the equator.

Good question. In actuality there are 12 pentagons, and the rest of the tiles are hexes. I started by making a geodesic sphere. The basic idea is that you start with a icosahedron, a figure with 20 triangles. You take each triangle and divide it into four sub-triangles (by placing a point in the center of each edge), and then take the newly created vertices and move them to the surface of the sphere. Do this several times until you have a sufficient number of tiles. Now this gives you a surface made of triangles. In order to make one of hexes, you must take the dual of what you just made. To do that, you simply take the vertices and treat them as the center of your tiles. You can see the dual of a geodesic sphere on that wikipedia page. Most of the vertices end up having six neighbors, and so they become the centers of hexagons, but the 12 original vertices of the icosahedron only have 5 neighbors, and so they become pentagons.

I'm hoping those pentagons don't affect game play too much. In any case, they're only 12 out of ~10000 tiles, so it can't be too bad. Plus I've set it up so that there's one each at the poles, which is the most unimportant area in the game.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

Did you use multiple octave perlin noise with a threshold? Neat!

I've been trying something similar, but I want a RISK-style map... in other words, vetors rather than tiles. This is an absolute pain in the rear end around the antemeridian :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

wlievens posted:

Did you use multiple octave perlin noise with a threshold? Neat!

I've been trying something similar, but I want a RISK-style map... in other words, vetors rather than tiles. This is an absolute pain in the rear end around the antemeridian :-(

I assume you are talking about the random map generator. I didn't use that method but looking online it seems interesting. Instead I threw something together by having "paintbrushes" of various sizes move around randomly, painting land onto the initially all-water map, and then adding ice caps. It came out pretty good but I was planning on improving it later (once I have a semblance of a game working). Perlin noise looks like a good start, thanks for the tip.