Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Crayvex posted:

Your question reminds me of my late father's desire to get back on a motorcycle in his later years. Unfortunately he had some of the same issues as you have in that he had some problems with his feet. He was ready to rig all sorts of crap on a bike to get around his limitations but luckily my brother and I were able to help him accept that he had to give up riding by letting him try to ride our bikes. It sort of broke his heart, but it kept him alive a lot longer and he lived vicariously through his sons.

My advice is to take the MSF and see how you do with your ankle. Motorcycling is dangerous and a very physical activity. Being limited physically raises the danger level quite a bit (IMHO) I work with a guy who had several cervical vertebrae fused and had lost the ability to turn his head. His father passed away and he inherited his dad's GoldWing. He insisted on riding it. I will tell you that watching him corner is one of the scariest things I've witnessed.

On the flip side, I've ridden the track with a paraplegic, and a guy who lost his legs from the knee down.

Paraplegic used an air shifter setup plus custom designed outriggers that essentially held the bike up like training wheels, and were lifted and deployed by a button on the handle bars. He'd drag himself on the bike from the wheelchair, his leathers had velcro to attach himself to the bike, and he was stupid loving fast. A group, and one of the fastest guys out there. Phenomenal lines and incredibly graceful on the bike, it was inspiring to watch. He rode street on the same setup.

The guy who lost his legs from the knee down (in an experimental airplane accident) had prosthetics, and he'd move his entire foot off the peg to shift up and down or brake. Again, at the track, but he rode street as well.

I also know a guy who was in an accident, doctors said he would never walk or ride again, so he rigged up a system so that he could push up or down on his shift lever to shift gears. Of course, he's walking and riding now, despite the doctors telling him it would be effectively impossible.

Obviously, there's increased risk with this, but as long as you're not physically attached to the bike (the idea of the paraplegic guy crashing scares the poo poo out of me), I don't think your risk is significantly higher than anyone else who rides. The consequences of crashing may be higher, but I don't believe that there needs to be any compromise in control if you're willing to modify your setup to fit your needs.

I'm usually the first guy to fly the "no need for the rear brake" flag, but there are a lot of times in street riding where it's nice to have...stopping on a hill, low speed modulation for u turns, braking in compromised traction, etc. If I had a similar injury that didn't allow me to modulate the rear brake, I'd probably look into a hand/thumb brake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Z3n posted:

On the flip side, I've ridden the track with a paraplegic, and a guy who lost his legs from the knee down.

Well, how can I argue with that? Did he ride before he had the accident?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Crayvex posted:

Well, how can I argue with that? Did he ride before he had the accident?

I believe so, yes.

That's not to say that everyone with an injury like that should ride. There are still people who are not suited to motorcycling, and some of those people have injuries that make it even more dangerous or difficult for them. But when there's a will, there's a way...it's just about how far you're willing to take it, and your personal risk/reward. :)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Today I was driving to school really fast cause I was almost late, and at one area I gunned the bike in first and hit 12k rpms, then dropped the throttle and grabbed the front brake for a stop sign. The whole bike started shaking except for the handlebars which felt smooth. this is on an sv1000 which isn't in top shape. I also had the bike randomly stop idling while riding yesterday (couldn't let go of the throttle or it would die) if that could be related. Idling works again though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crayvex posted:

Your question reminds me of my late father's desire to get back on a motorcycle in his later years. Unfortunately he had some of the same issues as you have in that he had some problems with his feet.

I'm 20 and otherwise very fit. I'm in a unique situation because most people with limited ankle mobility have limited flexibility in the rest of their body and less strength. I'm flexible, willing to fold myself up into strange positions, and swim more than 10,000 yards a week.

I guess ultimately as long as my GP says it won't destroy the ankle any more, this decision will be made at a training course.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Weinertron posted:

I guess ultimately as long as my GP says it won't destroy the ankle any more, this decision will be made at a training course.

That's what I would suggest. Most MSF courses are not that expensive, so no big loss if you try and can't do it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

In the end its your decision. As stated earlier I think the MSF will give you an idea if it'll work for you.

Gawd, what happened to CA? It seemed to me that this forum was all about teaching people the right way to ride and ultimately keep your blood on the inside. Lately I see stuff like:

-I RAN FROM THE COPS! (Followed by AWESOME, ME TOO!!!!)

-I DON'T USE MY HANDLEBARS ANYMORE! (Followed by MORE AWESOME!!!!)

-I LIKE TO GET DR0nK AND RIDE! (WHOAH, Do that off-road!)

Yes, I'm exaggerating but when did CA turn into a typical cycle forum?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Crayvex posted:

In the end its your decision. As stated earlier I think the MSF will give you an idea if it'll work for you.

Talk to your doctor and then MSF will let you know for a reasonable price if motorcycling is for you or not. Some people come back totally jazzed, some people have some fun and discover it's not for them. It's a great way to spend a weekend, learn to be a safe rider (and better driver, if you apply the lessons you learn there to driving) and figure out if motorcycles are right for you or not.

quote:

Gawd, what happened to CA? It seemed to me that this forum was all about teaching people the right way to ride and ultimately keep your blood on the inside. Lately I see stuff like:

Well, I think it helps to realize that a lot of that stuff is said tongue in cheek.

I didn't see anyone talking about getting drunk and riding though. Unless it was all of us laughing at the idiot who forgot where he parked his bike.

And honestly, a lot of people share their stories as cautionary tales more than anything else. No one with a lick of common sense feels good about running from the cops. And not using your handlebars is actually kind of an important lesson...it's essential to be light on the bars, the bike will still remain stable and carry on, and the less you weight or do anything with the bars except steer, the better.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's something in between squiddery and waggy fingery, which is good. Like "man I totally wheelied between two cop cars today and then escaped through a shopping mall. I feel very bad and I regret it. Hope I don't do it again tomorrow".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

It's something in between squiddery and waggy fingery, which is good. Like "man I totally wheelied between two cop cars today and then escaped through a shopping mall. I feel very bad and I regret it. Hope I don't do it again tomorrow".

Which, honestly, is the way I think most motorcyclists really think. You don't ride a motorcycle without a touch of insanity, and for most of us, that includes the occasional tossing it up on one wheel or other stupid activity.

The difference is in where you do it...we don't wheelie down main street, and we keep our racing to the tracks. At least for me, I know that at the core I'm as squiddy as the guy pulling wheelies on the freeway, I just have enough sense to do it in a place where no one can see me (mostly).

(Internal: Buy a supermoto, then you end up coming home from your rides feeling bad but very refreshed! Alive!)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Wheeling looks scary, I just want to commute to San Francisco and sit here after I park my bike for 20 mins watching the scrubs in their cars try to find parking.

From what i've seen, it seems like most people just have bikes to ride around for fun, while I actually use it as a primary means of transportation, it's nice to fill up with fuel for only 9$ and enjoy the freedom of parking, and I actually look forward to the ride to work.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
My 1995 KLR 650 was having problems idling. I took the carb out today and sprayed the gently caress out of it with carb cleaner. I spent another hour just getting the loving thing back in.

It idles perfectly!

It dies the second I give it any throttle!

It now has the exact reverse problem as it did before I cleaned it. What should I check for?

edit: it also won't idle without any choke

hayden. fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 17, 2010

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006

hayden. posted:

My 1995 KLR 650 was having problems idling. I took the carb out today and sprayed the gently caress out of it with carb cleaner. I spent another hour just getting the loving thing back in.

It idles perfectly!

It now has the exact reverse problem as it did before I cleaned it. What should I check for?

Sounds like its starved for fuel. I had a similar problem that was fixed by taking apart my carbs again (the third time), but also by playing with the petcock (took it apart, reassembled, if its vacuum operated make sure the vacuum lines are hooked up) Also make sure you've got gas in your tank (I figured that out after the second time).

PROBLEM

I have a 1978 Suzuki GS 750. Went for a quick ride, and after about 8 miles my bike died at a stop. Starter wouldn't turn over and the lights on the dash were dim, so I know the battery is dead and the charging system is shot (I suspected this from the start, but I also had a poor battery and hoped a new one would fix it). So I got it kickstarted again, turned around and headed home. When I started heading up hill it started to run pretty poor, and eventually started surging. Throttle was constant, but the power was surging constantly vvrrrRRMMMMvrrrRRMMMMvrrrRRMMMM Would this be because my battery was low on charge? I couldn't tell if it just wasnt firing on two cyclinders or not. It eventually died again when I hit a stop light, so I let it sit for a minute, gave it another kick and continued on the last half mile, only this time it wasn't surging.

Also, when I'd stopped my buddy noticed carb #1 was pissing fuel, but he said it stopped when I got the engine started again. That doesn't seem right, but maybe it stopped leaking under vacuum?

Any help would be appreciated muchly

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
While we're discussing gimping and riding-
I sold my Ducati streetfighter to this gentleman who insisted on taking it for a test ride, he wanted to be sure it would work for him and for emphasis he reached down and tapped on a leg that made very hollow sounds. He got his test ride.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Jack the Smack posted:

Today I was driving to school really fast cause I was almost late, and at one area I gunned the bike in first and hit 12k rpms, then dropped the throttle and grabbed the front brake for a stop sign. The whole bike started shaking except for the handlebars which felt smooth. this is on an sv1000 which isn't in top shape. I also had the bike randomly stop idling while riding yesterday (couldn't let go of the throttle or it would die) if that could be related. Idling works again though.

NVM, the SV 1000 engine is seizing. I checked the oil and it's empty and has tons of problems now, even after adding oil. Apparently it burned it all, cause there is no oil stain in my basement. Luckily I'm taking an engine rebuild class!

Also, does anyone know with a dipstick, do I screw it in when measuring oil? Cause on my 08 CBR 1000 the oil level is perfect when I have the bike level and I screw in the dip stick.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack the Smack posted:

Luckily I'm taking an engine rebuild class!

Jack the Smack posted:

Also, does anyone know with a dipstick, do I screw it in when measuring oil? Cause on my 08 CBR 1000 the oil level is perfect when I have the bike level and I screw in the dip stick.

I'm pretty sure you're the best and worst troll in CA

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

It idles perfectly!

If you're having this many problems, it sounds like you're introducing crap into the fuel system somehow. Did you clean everything (a/f screws?)? Did you run wire through the jets? Fresh/good gas?

TiberiusM posted:

Sounds like its starved for fuel. I had a similar problem that was fixed by taking apart my carbs again (the third time), but also by playing with the petcock (took it apart, reassembled, if its vacuum operated make sure the vacuum lines are hooked up) Also make sure you've got gas in your tank (I figured that out after the second time).

PROBLEM

I have a 1978 Suzuki GS 750. Went for a quick ride, and after about 8 miles my bike died at a stop. Starter wouldn't turn over and the lights on the dash were dim, so I know the battery is dead and the charging system is shot (I suspected this from the start, but I also had a poor battery and hoped a new one would fix it). So I got it kickstarted again, turned around and headed home. When I started heading up hill it started to run pretty poor, and eventually started surging. Throttle was constant, but the power was surging constantly vvrrrRRMMMMvrrrRRMMMMvrrrRRMMMM Would this be because my battery was low on charge? I couldn't tell if it just wasnt firing on two cyclinders or not. It eventually died again when I hit a stop light, so I let it sit for a minute, gave it another kick and continued on the last half mile, only this time it wasn't surging.

Also, when I'd stopped my buddy noticed carb #1 was pissing fuel, but he said it stopped when I got the engine started again. That doesn't seem right, but maybe it stopped leaking under vacuum?

Any help would be appreciated muchly
Don't try and diagnose anything with a dying battery. Sounds like you've got a bad float valve in carb #1. I'd pull the carbs and bench test them with gas from a slave tank, see if they leak. If they do, you need to replace the needle valves and seat o-rings on those carbs at the least.

Jack, do you siphon the oil out of your bikes in your sleep?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I was under the impression that I was supposed to be able to unscrew the tops of the jets, or whatever they are. I broke a screwdriver trying. So no wire was run, but I think this is a problem other than something bad in the carb. It honestly runs great at idle, and it ran great above idle before the cleaning.

If there was a gap in the rubber boots that connect the carb to the airbox/engine, would it cause this problem?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yes, an air leak could cause similar issues.

How the hell did you break a screwdriver attempting to remove a brass jet?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Z3n posted:

Yes, an air leak could cause similar issues.

How the hell did you break a screwdriver attempting to remove a brass jet?

chocolate screwdriver?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

No idea, but the fucker wouldn't move and it was a pretty cheap screwdriver. It was one of those small skinny ones.

I essentially pulled the carbs out of the boots without removing the boots from anything, so I'm guessing I just hosed them up somehow. Gonna make a hot glue gun seal on dis poo poo.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

infraboy posted:

Wheeling looks scary, I just want to commute to San Francisco and sit here after I park my bike for 20 mins watching the scrubs in their cars try to find parking.

From what i've seen, it seems like most people just have bikes to ride around for fun, while I actually use it as a primary means of transportation, it's nice to fill up with fuel for only 9$ and enjoy the freedom of parking, and I actually look forward to the ride to work.

For me riding for primary transportation is the equivalent of having a job that you really love. I get great mileage, I can skip traffic, I can take my bike down tracks too narrow or lumpy for cars, I can get around the island quicker than any other vehicle but most importantly I enjoy myself while I do it.

And wheelies are a little scary, they just also happen to be totally :krad:, like stoppies.

I really like this forum because of it's tongue-in-cheek, "wheelies are awesome, as long as you are ATG(At)TT", attitude. I like TFR too with it's "Lets blow the gently caress out of some milk jugs with .44 MAG but watch your loving trigger discipline!" vibe.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Armacham posted:

chocolate screwdriver?

My girlfriend would be a hell of a lot more interested in learning how to work on bikes if this were the case.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Crayvex posted:

Turning the bike off, popping it in neutral, letting go of the handlebars, and going down a curvy hill using body weight to steer is lots of fun and saves gas!

But seriously, CA has always been a typical cycle forum, we're just all hiding it from one another for cool-kid internet forum hipster cred.

ReelBigLizard posted:

And wheelies are a little scary, they just also happen to be totally :krad:, like stoppies.

Wheelies are only scary until you ride a supermoto. I hate wheelies on sportbikes, it just feels wrong. Wheelies on the DRZ are "pop one away from every stop" easy though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

No idea, but the fucker wouldn't move and it was a pretty cheap screwdriver. It was one of those small skinny ones.

I essentially pulled the carbs out of the boots without removing the boots from anything, so I'm guessing I just hosed them up somehow. Gonna make a hot glue gun seal on dis poo poo.

Yeah, having a proper sized screwdriver is pretty important.

I'd use WD40 to spray around the carb/boots of the bike, and see if the idle changes at all. If it does, you have an airleak.

But I'm more inclined to say that you've either got poo poo in your gas or aren't cleaning them throughly enough. If you haven't run wire through them and they're really bad, they're not clean.

pr0zac posted:

Wheelies are only scary until you ride a supermoto. I hate wheelies on sportbikes, it just feels wrong. Wheelies on the DRZ are "pop one away from every stop" easy though.

Not to mention, everyone could have a stick up their rear end about all kinds of riding, but in reality: Everyone wants to at least try to wheelie, or go fast, or do something a little bit dumb or that the general public wouldn't approve of once in awhile. It's the least we can do to accept this and try and get people to do it in the best place possible...be it the track, up a mountain road, or wherever it can be done away from the public eye.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Z3n posted:

Not to mention, everyone could have a stick up their rear end about all kinds of riding, but in reality: Everyone wants to at least try to wheelie, or go fast, or do something a little bit dumb or that the general public wouldn't approve of once in awhile. It's the least we can do to accept this and try and get people to do it in the best place possible...be it the track, up a mountain road, or wherever it can be done away from the public eye.

:golfclap:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Don't get me wrong guys. This forum is awesome but it just seems a little more open about encouraging hooliganism than in the past. Perhaps its because so many riders have "grown up" here. (Meaning that they went from being n00bs to awesome bikers!)

Now I'm off to learn how to intentionally wheelie a motorcycle. :monocle:

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 17, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I too have decided to learn how to clutch wheelie my piece of japanese cast iron. I've got some nice big open spaces to try it in too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Crayvex posted:

Don't get me wrong guys. This forum is awesome but it just seems a little more open about encouraging hooliganism than in the past. Perhaps its because so many riders have "grown up" here. (Meaning that they went from being n00bs to awesome bikers!)

Now I'm off to learn how to intentionally wheelie a motorcycle. :monocle:

Supermotos have infiltrated the forums, we will all become squids there is just no other way.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Predicting a flood of "how do I change my fork seals" in about three weeks in the thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I too have decided to learn how to clutch wheelie my piece of japanese cast iron. I've got some nice big open spaces to try it in too.

http://www.ringburn.net/yutughhh/

You're welcome :smugbert:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Z3n posted:

http://www.ringburn.net/yutughhh/

You're welcome :smugbert:

haha :wtf:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Supermotos have infiltrated the forums, we will all become squids there is just no other way.

This. Theres something about SMs that makes "responsible motorcyclists" openly act like a hooligan in ways they never would on other bikes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Buying a supermoto is basically like coming out as gay. Sure, you used to bust the old disco move now and then, but you always excused it afterwards and you never condoned dancing to Village People unless very drunk and even then only on the chorus. But not that you've come out as gay, you're just dancing disco everywhere. At the supermarket, at the water cooler, at family events, everywhere.

"Dude, you shouldn't dance disco here..."

"gently caress YOU I'M GAY I DISCO ANYWHERE"

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Oh CA, you went so long without developing a hivemind. It was bound to happen eventually though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

Yeah, having a proper sized screwdriver is pretty important.

I'd use WD40 to spray around the carb/boots of the bike, and see if the idle changes at all. If it does, you have an airleak.

But I'm more inclined to say that you've either got poo poo in your gas or aren't cleaning them throughly enough. If you haven't run wire through them and they're really bad, they're not clean.

The screw was small and recessed so it seemed like the right tool for the job.

I couldn't get the pilot screw out for the wire trick, but it seems odd that it'd go from running just fine to poo poo so quickly. I'll give the carb cleaning another try I guess.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Predicting a flood of "how do I change my fork seals" in about three weeks in the thread.

:blush:
Been there, posted that, about two weeks back.

:clint:
How-to thread's a comin'

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Buying a supermoto is basically like coming out as gay. Sure, you used to bust the old disco move now and then, but you always excused it afterwards and you never condoned dancing to Village People unless very drunk and even then only on the chorus. But not that you've come out as gay, you're just dancing disco everywhere. At the supermarket, at the water cooler, at family events, everywhere.

"Dude, you shouldn't dance disco here..."

"gently caress YOU I'M GAY I DISCO wheelie crappily ANYWHERE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xleCIYCSWVg

:parrot:

Edit: To get this slightly back on track, does anyone know what the play spec for full floating rotors is? The g/f's DRZ has some serious side to side play, I'm not sure if that's ok or not. Never dealt with fully floating rotors before.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 18, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Oakey posted:

Oh CA, you went so long without developing a hivemind. It was bound to happen eventually though.

Get archives and start re-reading MMM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

And a flood of "how do I change my head bearings?"

I tried to wheelie almost every bike I've owned. Dirt bikes are a given. Pegaso would do profound wheelies. Ducati, of course. FZ1 "oh poo poo!" R1150GS will pick up the wheel but really isn't happy about it. And since wheelies are for the most part vehicular wanking I usually do them in private.