Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phone posted:

The torsen LSD helps if there is traction for both wheels.

Ice. Clutch LSD is the best option here methinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Mine climbed a 15-ish degree ice-covered incline with almost no problem and it has summer tires on it. I did gt a bit of a run at it and peter out about halfway up, but that's where I was going anyway.

Getting back down the hill was a blast, though. Let the coolant circulate so the engine warms up a bit(it hadn't sat long enough to completely cool off), crank the wheels all the way left and romp on first gear. just enough traction pad to get rolling forward and the rear end-end out and around. Slide sideways down the hill looking out the passenger-side window to see where you're going.

I'd advise against that method if you haven't spent time sliding around in an icy parking lot, though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

The torsen LSD helps if there is traction for both wheels.

90% of the good 2WD winter cars have open diffs anyway. If you end up with that situation with a Torsen you can try to apply some parking brake and it should start engaging.

When rebuilding my brakes I noticed one side was binding pretty bad. Which meant when we turn the car on (up in the air) and put it in first the other wheel spun. I decided to start pressing the foot brake, and sure enough power was transferred to the wheel with binding brake and the both spun together. I have a Torsen. Apparently a type 2 due to the year.

What makes the Miata pretty good is 50/50 weight balance. Sudden Infant Deaf Syndrome winter drove an open diff car and as far as I know he didn't have any problems either.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Son of a gently caress. I just sold $500+ in misc parts from my wrecked Maxima yesterday. Today I went to order 2 sets of Azenis RT-615s for the miata.

Guess what... discounttiredirect is out of them. So is vulcantire. Now my only option is buying $400 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs?

:cry:

Edit: Tires are discontinued. The new RT-615Ks are $108/corner.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 16, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You could do a lot worse (see: Azenis).

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Blaise posted:

Son of a gently caress. I just sold $500+ in misc parts from my wrecked Maxima yesterday. Today I went to order 2 sets of Azenis RT-615s for the miata.

Guess what... discounttiredirect is out of them. So is vulcantire. Now my only option is buying $400 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs?

:cry:

Edit: Tires are discontinued. The new RT-615Ks are $108/corner.

I dont know what size your wheels are but I just put Yokohama Parada Spec-2's on my Miata (16") and they are really great. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=Parada+Spec-2

$75 a piece, great in the rain and for a 300 treadwear tire they were awesome at the race track 2 weekends ago as well.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
There is a $50 mail in rebate on the Z1s. They are awesome tires as well.

http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/details.jsp?promoID=D015

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

aventari posted:

I dont know what size your wheels are but I just put Yokohama Parada Spec-2's on my Miata (16") and they are really great. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=Parada+Spec-2

$75 a piece, great in the rain and for a 300 treadwear tire they were awesome at the race track 2 weekends ago as well.

Stock wheels... 14x5.5.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Just so I'm sure, the little rubber bit that seals up the plug on these Bosch H4's doesnt work with the Miata, yeah? I cant see any way to fit it over the giant square plug, but it seems like something that shouldnt be left off.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Schwack posted:

Just so I'm sure, the little rubber bit that seals up the plug on these Bosch H4's doesnt work with the Miata, yeah? I cant see any way to fit it over the giant square plug, but it seems like something that shouldnt be left off.

At first I thought so too, but actually it does fit. You don't put it on the square plug, you assemble the h4 housing with the bulb, and then push the rubber boot over the bulb's base. You have to really push down so that the rubber is indented a little. You should then be able to connect the square plug to the 3 pins of the bulb without interference from the boot.

e: look at step 8 http://calivw78.com/2008/05/03/h4-headlight-install

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 16, 2010

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Yeah, I figured it out. I just kind of jammed the plug on over the top of them and they clicked down. Should have tried that before I posted, haha.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What size bolts are needed for the spare tire and jack hold-downs on an NB?

I noticed yesterday while replacing brake lights that the bolt to hold the jack in place is missing and the one for the spare tire is completely the wrong size. :downs: Probably explains the rattling that I thought was a loose heat shield.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Yesssss. My lights will be here Thursday! It's about loving time!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Previa_fun posted:

What size bolts are needed for the spare tire and jack hold-downs on an NB?

It is the same size as the pop-off threads on the discs. Isn't it like an M10 or M12 metric bolt?

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Ziploc posted:

What makes the Miata pretty good is 50/50 weight balance. Sudden Infant Deaf Syndrome winter drove an open diff car and as far as I know he didn't have any problems either.

The only problem that pops up is when you get hung up in deep snow. Which happens a lot. :(

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

The only problem that pops up is when you get hung up in deep snow. Which happens a lot. :(

Did you run winter tires? Because on some all-seasons (which usually did alright atleast in the wet) mine under-steered right into a median in only about a half inch of snow after only popping the clutch while going down a tiny slope exiting a parking lot and it bent the poo poo out of the lower left front control arm, but thats all. Brakes didn't do anything (no ABS) even though I pumped them, it happened so slowly but nothing I tried would change my direction. That sucked, and Ive never had a problem in the winter in any other vehicle with all seasons.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

Did you run winter tires? Because on some all-seasons (which usually did alright atleast in the wet) mine under-steered right into a median in only about a half inch of snow after only popping the clutch while going down a tiny slope exiting a parking lot and it bent the poo poo out of the lower left front control arm, but thats all. Brakes didn't do anything (no ABS) even though I pumped them, it happened so slowly but nothing I tried would change my direction. That sucked, and Ive never had a problem in the winter in any other vehicle with all seasons.

FWIW (Ohio goon here), I ran summer tires (Yokohama AVS ES100) on my base NA (no power steering, no ABS), because I basically decided I wasn't going to buy winter tires until I actually managed to get myself stuck, or it got bad enough to where I honestly thought I wasn't going to be able to make it somewhere. We got quite a lot of snow this year, and I only got stuck-ish in my own driveway once, and was able to get myself out. I have a roughly 20 minute drive one way to work, and she never failed me, and if it was slick out, I just went 15-20mph the whole way home. Sucked going slow, but I didn't have any problems.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I had 7+ year old Michelin Alpins which did alright. I used all season MotoMasters this winter, and while we didn't get much snow, they worked alright.

You just gotta know your limits and the conditions.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

We got a bit of snow in MA this year (not as much as NY thank god) and I just have winter tires on the rear. Compared to last winter, my car may as well be a Subaru. In inches deep snow, as long as you didn't gun it like an idiot, the car would handle just fine.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

:words: slid into a curb :words:

You should have let off the brakes. Keeping the front wheels locked will make you not be able to steer. The trick is to straighten the wheels and let off the brakes then slowly as you can manage(without hitting what you're avoiding) steer away from it while applying gentle throttle and slipping the clutch.

That'll give you a little bit of steering compounded with minor forward power which will let the front wheels grab traction and the rear wheels keep traction.

You don't so much drive on ice as you gently guide the car around.

Or swing wide and romp the gas pedal, but that's how you really gently caress stuff up. Looks cool though.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah, I had two year old random-brand tires I bought from a totaled Corolla or something that had the same lug pattern I needed. Winter King or something equally bad sounding. Worked just fine for what I needed.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Miatas kick rear end in snow.

Took mine up to Taos a few weeks ago. Mine is lowered about 1.5". I had no problems exiting the Taos parking lot with fresh loose snow up to the door sill. With stock ride height you can go anywhere. All-seasons are a joke, get a decent set of snow tires. I found a set of brand new Michilin Arctic Alpins on craigslist for $100. If you are having traction problems, drop your tire pressure to 25psi. Still have problems, drop it to 15psi.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
How bad are installing motor mounts in a (Mazdaspeed) Miata? Can it be done with just a jack and hand tools? What needs to be moved out of the way?

Also, the mounts I have are identical, does this motor have two identical mounts or do I have duplicate parts?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

revmoo posted:

How bad are installing motor mounts in a (Mazdaspeed) Miata? Can it be done with just a jack and hand tools? What needs to be moved out of the way?

Also, the mounts I have are identical, does this motor have two identical mounts or do I have duplicate parts?

They are identical. I know the shop switched mine in less than an hour. (Twice cause they put one in up side down. :wtf:)

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

revmoo posted:

The mounts are the same so you don't have a problem there. You can do it with a jack and hand tools, thats how I did mine, you might want a big bar or something incase you need to pry the engine in a certain direction but it can definently be done fairly easily.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

New headlights are awesome! I haven't actually driven with them at night because after getting zero sleep and driving 300-ish miles today in an e350 I came home, changed them out and immediately went to bed. I did turn them on and have to wiggle the driver's side plug to get a solid connection, but other than that they are obviously better than the blob of light from the sealed beams. :3:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just got word this week that my wife's '99 cavalier's chassis is too rusty to pass inspection. Somehow I manage to talk the wife into going to look at a '91 miata tomorrow to replace it until we pay off student loans and save for a more "family" oriented vehicle (we would still keep the miata, she figures we might as well get one now since I need to have one someday). We don't have any kids and rarely drive other people around, so I think now would be the time to do it.

'91, 120k miles, 5spd (duh), DE car so there is no rust (brought back to PA last year, garaged since then) apparently. Within the last two months is has had:
New paint, tires, "roll bar" (more like style bar, amiright), timing belt/water pump/front seals, and all fluids (including transmission/rear end) just changed.

The guy is a mechanic and is pretty anal about his cars (So anal, in fact I asked him how long it took him to get to work from where he lives, he said "26 minutes"). He bought it for his wife but she doesn't like driving stick. Guy seems pretty cool, he originally bought the car for a monster miata swap (he just built a cobra kit car last year or something) but wants to get a '68 jag instead now. Has a TT supra in the stable to "pick up the kids from school"

Price is $3500. I don't think it's unreasonable considering how well they hold their value and the new paint and tires and other maintenance. Do you think I could reasonably get him down to $3200 or so? He said he's in no hurry to sell so he's not going to give it away.

Thoughts/comments?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I was able to find a 2000 LS with 125k for $4500, but Miata prices are ridiculous and vary by market.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

crutt posted:

I was able to find a 2000 LS with 125k for $4500, but Miata prices are ridiculous and vary by market.

It seems to vary quite a bit, but I rarely see a 'cheap' miata local. This one is eerily similar to what I'm looking at tomorrow, almost same mileage, price, and new paint but they're asking $4100 which I'd consider high.

http://pennstate.craigslist.org/cto/1649101011.html

Worse condition, higher miles $3195
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/1646620142.html

So I guess I'd consider it a reasonable starting price. If I could get it for $3200 or $3300 I would be happy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

dreesemonkey posted:

It seems to vary quite a bit, but I rarely see a 'cheap' miata local. This one is eerily similar to what I'm looking at tomorrow, almost same mileage, price, and new paint but they're asking $4100 which I'd consider high.

http://pennstate.craigslist.org/cto/1649101011.html

Worse condition, higher miles $3195
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/1646620142.html

So I guess I'd consider it a reasonable starting price. If I could get it for $3200 or $3300 I would be happy.

I keep tabs on NAs in Boston (just for the hell of it I tell myself). Here's a 98 with the same mileage as you were looking at:
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/1647514322.html
Not sure if it'd be worth the flight/roadtrip. Guy said the belt and pump were done, but the top has pinholes in it, and asked $3000 firm.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are no 98 Miatas :ssh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah I assume it's a 97, but can't know for sure without a VIN.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Phone posted:

There are no 98 Miatas :ssh:

Just because they were the exact same as the 97 doesn't mean the VIN won't pull up as a 98. It also doesn't mean that the dealer who sold it didn't sell it as a 98.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Just because they were the exact same as the 97 doesn't mean the VIN won't pull up as a 98. It also doesn't mean that the dealer who sold it didn't sell it as a 98.

Considering the year gets a specific character in the VIN, and there are no Miatas in the US with a "W" for a year...there are no 1998 Miatas in the US. Maybe in other countries where the year you sell it determines the year of the car, but not in the US.

My '99 is as close as as it gets to a '98, and even has a build date of 3/98, but that 10th digit is X.

And yes, Miata prices are ridiculous. All but the rattiest NAs seem to be able to still get over $3k, even early 1.6L cars, and yet the NB pricing has dropped to be barely over the price of those NAs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

And yes, Miata prices are ridiculous. All but the rattiest NAs seem to be able to still get over $3k, even early 1.6L cars, and yet the NB pricing has dropped to be barely over the price of those NAs.

For me, in terms of styling, the NB is like the 996 of Miatas. I just don't like that front end.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Funny, I didn't think anyone preferred the looks of the NA. Chrome door handles and funky lights, no thanks.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I like my barn-door headlights, thanks. the door handles I could take or leave. I might see about painting them to match the rest of the car.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
One thing I really don't care for about the door handles is when you lock and have to hold the handle "up" to have them lock. Feels like you're going to slice your finger off.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I don't lock my doors, I've only got a soft-top and would rather have someone steal all my turnpike toll change than have to buy a new top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

dreesemonkey posted:

One thing I really don't care for about the door handles is when you lock and have to hold the handle "up" to have them lock. Feels like you're going to slice your finger off.

You can change that by bending a tab inside the door on the lock.