Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnomad posted:

And a flood of "how do I change my head bearings?"

I tried to wheelie almost every bike I've owned. Dirt bikes are a given. Pegaso would do profound wheelies. Ducati, of course. FZ1 "oh poo poo!" R1150GS will pick up the wheel but really isn't happy about it. And since wheelies are for the most part vehicular wanking I usually do them in private.

My friend's Aprilia Falco was the first bike that ever taught me how easy and fun wheelies could be. He borrow my speed triple and I borrowed his Aprilia and we had a great time messing around. That big twin just loved lifting the front, it was like having a wheelie button.

And yeah, cheap thrills, but as cheap thrills go, they are one of the better ones. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

quote:

Wheelies are, for the most part, vehicular wanking.

...should be the tagline for Cycle Asylum :colbert:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Im looking at buying an 87 Honda XL250. It seems to be in pretty drat good condition, however I know nothing of dirtbikes. It has 18k kms on it and the dealership is asking 2800 for it. Should I stay away?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Paying 2800 for a used bike from 1987 doesn't seem like much of a deal to me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Im looking at buying an 87 Honda XL250. It seems to be in pretty drat good condition, however I know nothing of dirtbikes. It has 18k kms on it and the dealership is asking 2800 for it. Should I stay away?

Where are you located, that price seems extremely high.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There will be a supermoto addict support group soon. "I just... I just keep thinking about when I'll get that next fix... I want to back-it-in everywhere, and I can't come to a complete stop without wheeling when I take off again. Help me. Oh god help me."

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

My friend's Aprilia Falco was the first bike that ever taught me how easy and fun wheelies could be. He borrow my speed triple and I borrowed his Aprilia and we had a great time messing around. That big twin just loved lifting the front, it was like having a wheelie button.

And Buells. I owned a S2 and did test rides on a Uly and a Firebolt. Wheelie popping daddys, all of them. Especially the Uly, grab a fistfull of throttle and it was goodbye horizon, hello sky.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My GSX700 is not so good for wheelies. I clutched up a few and maybe got the front tire a few inches off the ground but you could tell it wasn't into it very much. Too long of a bike I think. Now, 15k later, my clutch is slipping so I haven't tried it a while.
My F4i on the other hand was a mad tyte stunta. That bike loved having the front wheel in the air. When I first got it I hit second too hard once and I was greeted to a view of the sky and a tank smashing into my nuts. Great time that.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Z3n posted:

Where are you located, that price seems extremely high.

Glorious Shilo, Manitoba. There isnt much of a market for used bikes and I think its a high price, I am going to try and low ball him tomorrow

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

There will be a supermoto addict support group soon. "I just... I just keep thinking about when I'll get that next fix... I want to back-it-in everywhere, and I can't come to a complete stop without wheeling when I take off again. Help me. Oh god help me."

We need to make little tokens, :sigh:

My Spirit Otter posted:

Glorious Shilo, Manitoba. There isnt much of a market for used bikes and I think its a high price, I am going to try and low ball him tomorrow

Canada pricing makes it make a bit more sense, but that's still stupid high.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Crayvex posted:

Don't get me wrong guys. This forum is awesome but it just seems a little more open about encouraging hooliganism than in the past. Perhaps its because so many riders have "grown up" here. (Meaning that they went from being n00bs to awesome bikers!)

Now I'm off to learn how to intentionally wheelie a motorcycle. :monocle:

It's not a proper wheelie unless you're doing it without hands on the bars and running from the police. :smugbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wheelie the gently caress out of everything:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its a running joke with my friends and I that I can wheelie anything.

My triumphs so far:

-Jeep Wrangler
-Honda Spree
-Puch moped.

My goals:

-Tandem bicycle (from both the front seat and rear seat)
-I also want to endo a penny farthing

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Better get a pizza sized sprocket for that tandem and start doing some squats.

This guy barely does it from the rear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej-HoqKoRds

Also why can't my girlfriend be this chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSdOn8URRl8

hayden. fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 18, 2010

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
GS500E question. I have an automatic cam chain tensioner, unless you turn the release with a screwdriver the plunger/tension rod doesn't move at all. Is this right? Do I install and turn the screw to get dynamic tension? The manual says it should move freely without binding so I'm suspicious it's screwed up.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Doctor Zero posted:

It's not a proper wheelie unless you're doing it without hands on the bars and running from the police. :smugbert:

and I need to be wearing sandals, shorts, and maybe a t-shirt while I'm doing it!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Doctor Zero posted:

How the hell do you do a wheelie without your hands on the handle bars?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

hayden. posted:

What exactly is chill about a lack of brain cells? I wouldn't want to date a girl that stupid.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

pr0zac posted:

What exactly is chill about a lack of brain cells? I wouldn't want to date a girl that stupid.

I wouldn't mind... the crazy ones are always a little extra bundle of fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

That's pretty impressive, squidiness aside. That clutch got reamed in the process of lifting the front though.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jack the Smack posted:

How the hell do you do a wheelie without your hands on the handle bars?

Easy, I've done wheelies with my entire body 30-40ft away from my bike.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Zool posted:

Easy, I've done wheelies with my entire body 30-40ft away from my bike.

Remote wheelie by thought control is the second to last step on the hooligan path to enlightenment. Your mastery of this technique is most inspiring. :v:

Edit for content:

I'm going to be replacing my tires soon, and I've been looking at Kenda K657/K671 and Pirelli MT75s. I liked MT75s when I had them on my old Ninja 250, but since I've been racking up a lot of commuter miles lately, I was wondering if I could get better mileage out of the Kendas without losing too much performance. Is there anyone here who's used both that could make a comparison?

sectoidman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 19, 2010

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi
Ok, two questions.

1) Finished my msf course on Tuesday and have put about 70 miles on the gz250 since. I am enjoying the hell out of it, but when I get around 45 mph the back end feels...loose. Not sure how to describe it. Almost like it is floating a bit or something. Just doesn't seem to be running very smooth. The tire pressure is good and I have it in fifth. Is this normal or part of the wear in process?

2) My 82 cb450t is driving me nuts. I replaced the stator, the cdi and the coil, pulled off the kill switch and made sure it was ok, have gone over every electrical part on the drat bike, and still no spark. None. Rectifier tests good, I am finding no shorts...nothing. I have all the fine-c checked too. New spark plugs installed. Nada. Nothing. No spark at all. Any ideas? This thing has me stumped.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shempt_The_Mighty posted:

Ok, two questions.

1) Finished my msf course on Tuesday and have put about 70 miles on the gz250 since. I am enjoying the hell out of it, but when I get around 45 mph the back end feels...loose. Not sure how to describe it. Almost like it is floating a bit or something. Just doesn't seem to be running very smooth. The tire pressure is good and I have it in fifth. Is this normal or part of the wear in process?

2) My 82 cb450t is driving me nuts. I replaced the stator, the cdi and the coil, pulled off the kill switch and made sure it was ok, have gone over every electrical part on the drat bike, and still no spark. None. Rectifier tests good, I am finding no shorts...nothing. I have all the fine-c checked too. New spark plugs installed. Nada. Nothing. No spark at all. Any ideas? This thing has me stumped.

1. Doesn't sound like it. Check the torque on the bolts, the rear axle adjusters, subframe, etc. If everything seems ok, I wouldn't hesitate to take it back to the dealership and ask them to take a spin on it. After only 70 miles, there shouldn't be anything that you could have done to the bike.

2. Time to start tracing the flow of power. Do you have power at the coils?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Is it normal to have an uncomfortable through-the-handlebar vibration when a 4 cylinder bike gets above 7,000 RPM?

My 89 GSXR750 does this, and it really kills the enjoyment of the higher revs since it vibrates so much. I havn't done a carb sync, but it still does it even at full throttle when the sync wouldn't affect it.

The motor runs great and sounds great, just vibrates. Is this normal, or maybe I have a bad mount or something?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Wheelie the gently caress out of everything:

Farm tractors are wheelying fools. Put the thing in low/low, pop the clutch and give it the gas.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MrZig posted:

Is it normal to have an uncomfortable through-the-handlebar vibration when a 4 cylinder bike gets above 7,000 RPM?

My 89 GSXR750 does this, and it really kills the enjoyment of the higher revs since it vibrates so much. I havn't done a carb sync, but it still does it even at full throttle when the sync wouldn't affect it.

The motor runs great and sounds great, just vibrates. Is this normal, or maybe I have a bad mount or something?

For what it's worth, my CBR 600 vibrates at about the same RPM and up. It's not enough for my hands to go numb, but I notice it. Aside from making sure your chain is lubed and your tires are balanced, I'd say there's not much you can do and it's pretty normal.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

MrZig posted:

I had this same problem in my 86 katana 750. The biggest change was having the engine dyno'd and really dialled in. Also my bike had been modified and the PO had replaced the stock bar end weights with bar end mirrors. Those weights I have since learned were quite heavy by todays standards. I replaced the weight by filling the handlebar tubing with lead shot which helped a lot.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006

Shempt_The_Mighty posted:

Check your fuse(s) as well. Make sure your wires are intact too. I just found the reason my stator wasn't working, two of the three wires running from it were worn through.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

shipwrek posted:

I replaced the weight by filling the handlebar tubing with lead shot which helped a lot.

This is what I'd do. Lead shot and really heavy bar ends. Also if the carbs are very out of wack, it'll cause it to vibrate more.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnomad posted:

Farm tractors are wheelying fools. Put the thing in low/low, pop the clutch and give it the gas.

The new John Deer JD1000RR has traction control, anti-wheelie, lunch mode (I'm not sure what it is either), and quick shifters for both hi, lo, and PTO.

Edit: Wait this is the questions thread. How the hell did it come to this?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MrZig posted:

It's a matter of perspective, go ride a Harley, or a thumper. That will make it nice and smooth.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Zool posted:

It's a matter of perspective, go ride a Harley, or a thumper. That will make it nice and smooth.

I just put more comfortable grips on my old ex250 and it helped a bit.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Zool posted:

I don't know, this seems excessive. Even my GS400 twin didn't have this much vibration through the handlebars. The only thing that matches it is my 1984 Honda Big Red 200cc thumper stretching its legs.

Super smooth up till 6500, then really vibratey at 7000, and still a little vibratey at 9000+.

I'll try tightening up the mounts, exhaust, doing a carb tune and seeing if it changes. If not, its time for more weight in the handlebars.

I just always thought inline 4's were supposed to be really smooth.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I4's all seem to have a "resonance" where they buzz and throb and generally make your teeth itch. Balance shafts help but they don't work at every RPM range.

For smooth, you want a triple. I've had a Triumph triple and a BMW triple brick and both of those motors were turbine smooth. The BMW was so smooth that it was borderline boring.

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

TiberiusM posted:

Check your fuse(s) as well. Make sure your wires are intact too. I just found the reason my stator wasn't working, two of the three wires running from it were worn through.

yeah, that was my next step. Thought about it after I posted.

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Z3n posted:

1. Doesn't sound like it. Check the torque on the bolts, the rear axle adjusters, subframe, etc. If everything seems ok, I wouldn't hesitate to take it back to the dealership and ask them to take a spin on it. After only 70 miles, there shouldn't be anything that you could have done to the bike.

2. Time to start tracing the flow of power. Do you have power at the coils?

Thanks Z3n. The ride this morning was a bit smoother, so maybe it was some crosswind action or something yesterday. Might take it to the dealer and have them take a ride on it anyway.

It cannot tell if i have power at the coils. How would I check that?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I've been logging some more hours on my Yamaha R6 and I have some ride position questions. This is my first crotch roc... er sport bike. I'm 6'2" 170 lbs and so far the most comfortable position is to sit as far forward on the bike as possible. I literally jam my guy junk on the tank and I feel like I can ride for hours. No pain in my back, arms, wrists or whatever. The only problem is I'm having a hell of a time finding the rear brake lever.

Anyway, is this how you're "supposed" to sit on one of these? The reason I ask is I have the jacket of the previous owner and it is a size 52. The sleeves are super long. Is it possible the PO adjusted stuff for his long frame?

Also, how hard is it to adjust the rear brake lever on these things?

A dark iPhone pic of my bike after last night's ride.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

MrZig posted:

Sync your drat carbs. I was like you; I didn't think it would make a huge difference throughout the range, but trust me it does. My '89 GSX600F has essentially the same engine as your bike - I rode from NJ to Atlanta without syncing the carbs and had started to lose feeling in my right toes because of it. Once the carbs were synced, the whole bike felt different.

Stop trying to figure out if your problem can be solved some other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Anyway, is this how you're "supposed" to sit on one of these?

I usually sit so my balls are against the tank as well, because it limits the amount I have to hunch down to reach the bars. The real key to comfort on a sportbike, however, is switching your position every so often. Sometimes I'll sit farther back on the seat to stretch out and sit upright with my left hand supporting my weight on my waist, sometimes I'll go up against the tank. Sometimes I'll use the frame sliders as highway pegs.

For aggressive riding you generally want to be sitting up against the tank to be as connected to the bike as possible. The only exception to this is that sometimes people like scooting backwards on the exits of corners to put more weight on the rear wheel, but I don't know how effective that is at maintaining rear traction.

Edit: I'm probably also a height and weight that many sportbikes are designed for: 5'9" and 145ish pounds.