Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
With the revelation that I'm not the only one who thought Spelljammer was the best setting after Dark Sun, I can safely say that the posters in this thread are the best posters.

Also, giff are dumb and neogies are pretty baddical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
Giff: Hungry hungry hippos meet Dungeons & Dragons

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hungry hippos with flintlocks.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
So we are up to 3 DS PBP games now and its not even out yet. Its going to go crazy in here when the setting releases.

I also have a DS pbp brewing but I cant decide if I should start when the PHB3 hits character builder, or save it til DS release and everything is finalized.

I've been wanting to run a gladiator campaign outside of Tyr. Sneak preview: Welcome to Urik and the Pit of Black Death!

Click here for the full 975x1015 image.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Start your gladiator campaign after the PHB3 update hits CB. You know you don't want to wait all the way until August?

s19aw
Oct 29, 2004
Screw that, start the campaign now! I'm making a character for it as I type this very post.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

He's probably thinking of this fine young actress:

Her name is apparently Kelly Brown. Ahh, Hey Dude... What a show that was. The memories...

So it is. Always that she was Xena... drat faulty 8 year old memories. Still a great show, though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Someone should base the start of their DS campaign on Hey Dude. A bunch of slave kids are forced to work on a Crodlu ranch. Later, they can take over a slave camp amidst the wilderness and you can run Salute Your Loincloths.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Bobby would probably be an elf because he can't be trusted.
Donkey Lips would be a half giant always looking to fit in.

And Sponge could be a psionicist and the players could run all sorts of (attempted) nerd revenge scenarios.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Someone should base the start of their DS campaign on Hey Dude. A bunch of slave kids are forced to work on a Crodlu ranch. Later, they can take over a slave camp amidst the wilderness and you can run Salute Your Loincloths.

Then they can get discovered by the order and sent to a high psionics school and you can switch to Welcome Freshminds.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Um...Uh...

Are You Afraid of the Dark Sun?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
My So-Called Sorcerer-King

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kalak Explains it All

Evil Fiend
Apr 30, 2003

Leave it to Borys

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey Rajaat!

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the Adventures of Oronis and Oronis

Evil Fiend
Apr 30, 2003

The Fresh King of Nibenay

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Mind Lord, Mind Lordd, and Mind Lorddy

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

You Can't Do That In the Arena

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Legends of the Hidden Ziggurat

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rocko's Distopian Life and The Seven Veiled World of Alex Mack.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Sacha and Wyan

It's not a Ren & Stimpy reference; it's a Belle and Sebastian reference :colbert:

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't played DND in forever, and even when I did I really sucked at DMing. A few friends and I have just decided we're going to start playing again, and I was trying to make my own campaign and settings, and got frustrated.

Would this be a good campaign to play if I have no money and no 4.0 books except for the PHB (meaning I'd probably have to improvise a lot), and the whole party and DM are huge noobs?

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Eerkik posted:

Would this be a good campaign to play if I have no money and no 4.0 books except for the PHB (meaning I'd probably have to improvise a lot), and the whole party and DM are huge noobs?

No, not at all. With just a PHB you should play generic fantasy like Forgotten Realms.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Eerkik posted:

I haven't played DND in forever, and even when I did I really sucked at DMing. A few friends and I have just decided we're going to start playing again, and I was trying to make my own campaign and settings, and got frustrated.

Make them pitch some money in and buy a DDI subscription for everyone.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

ritorix posted:

Make them pitch some money in and buy a DDI subscription for everyone.

This is the best thing you could do in all seriousness. Monster Builder will literally save your life and Character Builder will suck everybody's cocks.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

And then you can get away with just a DMG and Campaign Guide.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Am I misrecalling, or are we supposed to get preview/play-test content for Dark Sun starting next month? Thri-kreen first plz.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I got a chance recently to look through a Planescape appendix for the Monstrous Compendium, and was really disappointed by its treatment of psurlons. :(

Planescape is the worst because it apparently felt this need to fit in everything special from every other setting's cosmology, and make it less special by the incorporation. Planescape psurlons are generic knock-off mind-flayers: psychic wormfolk (instead of squidfolk) who hate githyanki, enslave others, scheme mightily, etc. (Also, per Planescape, their homeworld wasn't destroyed by a psychic networking explosion; it was torn apart by psurlons made too huge via mental powers. :psyboom:)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Planescape is the epitome of 2E D&D-- amazing toilet reading and a dedication to making sure everything is a canon part of some complex, cross-campaign world multiverse. I do applaud TSR for their efforts in ensuring my 18th level Wizard of the Black Robes had seventeen different ways of getting from Krynn to Oerth and back.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I think I'm genetically programmed to hate any "multiverse" setting concept. It robs the constituent sub-settings of some freedom to go balls-crazy, because spergin' nerds expect them to have some sort of consistency or similar rules as they fit into the same meta-setting. I really like that with 4E, each setting might have similar cosmology, but they don't all share the exact same cosmological meta-setting. Yes, the Manual of the Planes and the Sigil crap implied that they do, but that's obviously not part of the designers' concerns when they're putting each individual setting's materials together.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
wasn't Raistlin only like level 12? Krynn couldn't possibly produce an 18th level wizard

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Liesmith posted:

wasn't Raistlin only like level 12? Krynn couldn't possibly produce anything good.

Sad to say I enjoyed these books in middle school. Later I graduated to Michael Stackpole's Battletech novels, they owned.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Later I graduated to Michael Stackpole's novels, they owned.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Liesmith posted:

wasn't Raistlin only like level 12? Krynn couldn't possibly produce an 18th level wizard

By the time he is the Master of Past and Present and tries to overthrow Takhisis, he's an 18th level Wizard of the Black Robes, which is the maximum level Krynn's gods will let you attain without either killing or banishing you. There are a bunch of "at this level, you have to do this" rules in the old Dragonlance book.

quote:

I think I'm genetically programmed to hate any "multiverse" setting concept.

See, I think I am genetically disposed to like a "multiverse" because despite the restrictions you pointed out, I still get stoked when there's a way to hop from one D&D world to the next. I'm in total agreement about 4E. You can have the status of D&D's multiverse be whatever your group wants it to be.

quote:

Sad to say I enjoyed these books in middle school.

What's sad to say? Dragonlance was a great PG fantasy romp, and you were in middle school. That's a perfect storm of age appropriate nerdery.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The idea of being able to fly unaided absolutely gripped my poo poo as a kid. When I found Dragonlance and saw DRAGON-PEOPLE with AWESOME WINGS and who could BREATHE LIGHTNING, I was sold.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Oh, huh. I guess draconians couldn't breathe lightning; I'm confusing them with actual D&D dragons. Anyway, shapeshifting flying dragon-people? That's like crack to anyone younger than 15.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Squizzle posted:

I think I'm genetically programmed to hate any "multiverse" setting concept. It robs the constituent sub-settings of some freedom to go balls-crazy, because spergin' nerds expect them to have some sort of consistency or similar rules as they fit into the same meta-setting.

I really don't think it robs the sub-settings of freedom so much as the sub-setting writers welcome restrictions that make their jobs easy. The Dark Sun writers just went nuts, doing stuff like giving every PC wild talents, and when fitting it in the multiverse they were just kind of like "gently caress you it's the uncharted corner of the prime material and it's almost impossible to get to or from here".

If setting writers wanted to get creative, they would.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dragonlance draconians are carefully crafted to be perfect for rear end in a top hat DMs. Stab one, whoops you lose your sword because he turned to stone with your sword in him. Whoops the wizard draconian exploded. Oh no you decapitated that one and his blood sprayed everywhere, turns out his blood is deadly poison. Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The new draconians (adamant, iron, and cobalt) have some dumb death throes: adamant explode into a thunderclap (which is a admittedly little bit :black101:), iron turn into a cloud of obscuring rust, and cobalt turn into ice sculptures.

Ice sculptures.

:smith:

• Locked thread