Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
I've decided to speed up my part-time MBA at a state school. With three classes this summer, three in the fall, and two in the spring, I'll have 60 credits and will finish a lot quicker than originally planned. 14 months to go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

censored
Dec 12, 2003

Agent Escalus posted:

I visited San Diego a few times as a child, loved it, would like to go back, but if UCSD has a word-of-mouth rep for being a mediocre or party school (which apparently can happen at state colleges) that's obviously something that concerns me. This is a "Do it right or don't do it at all" endeavor and I'd be leaving Canada to do my MBA, so of course I want to get as much info as possible.

UCSD is a pretty intensely academically oriented place. Not a party school in the least. Also has a very strong economics department, but not sure how that might play into the business school; as mentioned, it's very new.

anonexpedient
Feb 23, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recently worked under a graduate of one of the top-3 MBA programs -- I believe he graduated somewhere around the early to mid '80s.

What had surprised me most about his education was how defensive he was about it. He had once told me that he went because he had a nerdy kind of interest in the specific field he was specializing in, and the program there was considered the best. The MBA credential that came along with that opportunity, to him, almost seemed like it was kind of a personal defect that had to be explained or justified. Well maybe that is exaggerating a bit, but the gist of the idea is the same.

I have always wondered about this. I mean, I know the term 'business major' is often used as a derogatory some places, and of course an MBA and whatever subsequent career path that follows it won't carry as much prestige as many other things that very smart people can do, but I thought his humility about it all seemed over the top and I never understood it. So I guess my question is, is this common? Any insight into why he might feel this way?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Another good opportunity for an MBA is being able to teach at night for the extra money to pay off loans, etc. I have been an online faculty since I received my MBA in 2006 and though I still have loans to pay, it is nice being able to make a few extra grand sitting in the comfort of my home for an hour a night in place of watching TV. you will be limited mainly to AS degree level courses but it helps pay the bills. Don't discount that opportunity!

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

anonexpedient posted:

I have always wondered about this. I mean, I know the term 'business major' is often used as a derogatory some places, and of course an MBA and whatever subsequent career path that follows it won't carry as much prestige as many other things that very smart people can do, but I thought his humility about it all seemed over the top and I never understood it. So I guess my question is, is this common? Any insight into why he might feel this way?

Complete guess: It didn't get him what he thought it would?

I can't say his attitude is characteristic, after listening to their professors wax eloquent about the program, most MBA students come out of school with un-natural swagger.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Complete guess: It didn't get him what he thought it would?

To add on this, not all MBAs are created equal. Did he perhaps go to something like the University of Phoenix online MBA program (or even an accredited college, just not a very well thought of one), expecting to come out with automatic big paychecks and a cushy investment banking/consulting job? Having those expectations can certainly make one bitter.

I've never met a Harvard MBA (or even say a Virginia, Duke, Indiana MBA) who tried to explain it away.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Don Wrigley posted:

To add on this, not all MBAs are created equal. Did he perhaps go to something like the University of Phoenix online MBA program (or even an accredited college, just not a very well thought of one), expecting to come out with automatic big paychecks and a cushy investment banking/consulting job? Having those expectations can certainly make one bitter.

I've never met a Harvard MBA (or even say a Virginia, Duke, Indiana MBA) who tried to explain it away.

When I did recruiting for Fortune 500 companies, I saw this quite a bit. Unfortunately school recruiters talk up the programs in such a way that a person assumes having a certain degree entitles them to something. Even top level Masters degree graduates were sometimes difficult, if not impossible, to place at a company due to their unrealistic expectations in a realistic economy. Anyways, having a degree you worked hard for, regardless of program, is something you should never be ashamed of. Not everyone that has the knowledge and brain to make it there has the money and flexibility in life. Be proud of your accomplishment.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nomak posted:

Not everyone that has the knowledge and brain to make it there has the money and flexibility in life.

Isn't that the truth...I hear back from Georgetown in about 2 weeks. Even if I get in there's no way I can attend without significant monetary assistance.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Tyro posted:

Isn't that the truth...I hear back from Georgetown in about 2 weeks. Even if I get in there's no way I can attend without significant monetary assistance.

Either way, best of luck to you!

anonexpedient
Feb 23, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Don Wrigley posted:

No man, like I said he is from one of the big 3 MBA schools. He makes plenty of money so I don't think it's bitterness over that. I also have a good amount of respect for him and think he is a pretty cool and nice guy too.

Edit: I don't think he was ashamed of it, I mean sort of but saying he is ashamed of it is going too far.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

anonexpedient posted:

No man, like I said he is from one of the big 3 MBA schools. He makes plenty of money so I don't think it's bitterness over that. I also have a good amount of respect for him and think he is a pretty cool and nice guy too.

Edit: I don't think he was ashamed of it, I mean sort of but saying he is ashamed of it is going too far.

The only mid-80s top-3 MBA graduates I know are Patrick Bateman and Paul Allen. Maybe he's a serial killer?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Nomak, thanks. If GU doesn't work out I'll probably do the part-time program at the local 2nd tier school, which will be substantially cheaper as my employer will help with tuition costs.

Don Wrigley posted:

The only mid-80s top-3 MBA graduates I know are Patrick Bateman and Paul Allen. Maybe he's a serial killer?

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

anonexpedient posted:

I dunno, as an undergraduate business major I feel like when I'm talking to non-business friends I have to preface saying my major with "I'm not a tool" and then follow it up with "I legitimately enjoy it" since it seems like a lot of people have the preconception that any business-type person is a tool, a greedy bastard, and/or destroying the world.

natedogcool
Jan 3, 2008

Every time we look at the moon, we can know that Willzyx is up there dancing with the other zypods in his castle.

flyingfoggy posted:

any business-type person is a tool, a greedy bastard, and/or destroying the world.

I don't think that's the case - I think they genuinely view business degrees as "easier to get." I was a CS major, and anybody who couldn't cut the programming classes would automatically change to business with a concentration in information systems. My University had two different sets of Calculus classes: those for business majors (100-level) and those for engineering and science majors (200-level), so the bias was built-into the curriculum.

Anyway, I changed my major and graduated with a BS in Math. Now after 4 years of working in web design, I'm starting a Professional MBA program this fall to concentrate in marketing.

In college I may not have respected a business degree, but after working for a few years, I sure as hell do to the point that I'm investing in one!

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

anonexpedient posted:

He is weird.

flyingfoggy posted:

I dunno, as an undergraduate business major I feel like when I'm talking to non-business friends I have to preface saying my major with "I'm not a tool" and then follow it up with "I legitimately enjoy it" since it seems like a lot of people have the preconception that any business-type person is a tool, a greedy bastard, and/or destroying the world.

Your friends are a bunch of hippies if they think studying business automatically translates to douche.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

natedogcool posted:

I don't think that's the case - I think they genuinely view business degrees as "easier to get." I was a CS major, and anybody who couldn't cut the programming classes would automatically change to business with a concentration in information systems.

Often times people are against graduate degrees where you do not have to write a Thesis on research. Business degrees typically have other Capstone-type projects and this could be one of the reasons for the "easier" view. The same applies for a doctoral dissertation. Quantitative research is often seen as the "real deal" where qualitative research is often seen as the "easier" approach since no statistical calculations are done to show what you found and whether is it significant. This may vary by research and industry but many places will not even consider a qualitative dissertation a "real" dissertation, even though they are generally much longer than a quantitative one.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

flyingfoggy posted:

Odds are the people who would give you poo poo about your major probably fit the stereotypes about theirs.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Say, does anyone know of what kinds of jobs MBA alumnus have been able to get in the last ten years (economy notwithstanding)? I'm sure it depends on their level of experience, so let's say someone in their late 20s-30s, with mostly entry-level positions held prior to going back to school.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Agent Escalus posted:

Say, does anyone know of what kinds of jobs MBA alumnus have been able to get in the last ten years (economy notwithstanding)? I'm sure it depends on their level of experience, so let's say someone in their late 20s-30s, with mostly entry-level positions held prior to going back to school.

What program and specialty?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Agent Escalus posted:

This is an incredibly broad question and will be influenced heavily by the school, course of study, field they enter, previous work experience, etc.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:
Well, I just took the GMAT and hosed up. I scored a 510 :unsmith:

The last 2 practice exams I scored 610 and 630 so I thought I'd at least score a 600 or mid-high 500's as the worst case scenario. I wasn't looking at any top B schools but my score barely makes me competitive for the second-tier schools.

The dean of one of the schools I am going to apply to told me to email her my score when I took the test to figure out if I should retake it. I'll see what she says before I make any decision.

gently caress.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Do you have a great GPA?

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:
3.0 from a top 25 school. So no, not a great GPA.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

oye como va posted:

3.0 from a top 25 school. So no, not a great GPA.

Better than me. I guess I'd better study hard for the GMAT then :(

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm a recent Econ graduate from UCSD. I completely, majorly hosed up my GPA (2.43). What are my options at this point? I'm pretty confident that I could do well on my GMATs based on practice tests I've taken. Is there anything I can do to distance myself from my stinkbomb of a GPA?

Hot Soup
Apr 13, 2006
Answer that and stay fashionable.

Radbot posted:

I'm a recent Econ graduate from UCSD. I completely, majorly hosed up my GPA (2.43). What are my options at this point? I'm pretty confident that I could do well on my GMATs based on practice tests I've taken. Is there anything I can do to distance myself from my stinkbomb of a GPA?

Do you have a legitimate reason for the GPA? If not, you'll need to work for a few years to demonstrate your potential and probably need to build an alternate transcript depending on what level of schools you are aiming for. Pick your courses carefully.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hot Soup posted:

Do you have a legitimate reason for the GPA? If not, you'll need to work for a few years to demonstrate your potential and probably need to build an alternate transcript depending on what level of schools you are aiming for. Pick your courses carefully.

Of course, I can't actually work anywhere that would look impressive on a transcript with that GPA and this economy. Are you suggesting I go back to school? If so, in what?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Radbot posted:

Of course, I can't actually work anywhere that would look impressive on a transcript with that GPA and this economy. Are you suggesting I go back to school? If so, in what?

Any work is better than nothing. Most MBA programs prefer several years of work experience in their applicants regardless of their college grades. Think outside the box...nonprofits, etc. If you don't think your work experience is going to make you more competitive, try to find some sort of volunteer/community service thing to do in your free time where you can have some responsibility or a leadership role.

Hot Soup
Apr 13, 2006
Answer that and stay fashionable.

Radbot posted:

I know the top MBA programs accept a small percentage of students fresh out of undergrad with little work experience, but you would need to have some pretty stellar credentials for your age group and that GPA isn't going to cut it. It's most common for MBA applicants to be ages 26 - 29 and have 4-5+ years of work experience.

As Tyro said, you'll need to find something to do for a few years and you should aim for a role that will allow you to demonstrate career growth and progression, and gain some leadership experience.

After you get the job situation under control for a while, think about taking a few grad courses to build an alternate transcript. You need to ace them to demonstrate to MBA admissions that this performance is more recent and representative of your ability in the classroom than your undergrad was. You'll need to judge if you are in a position to sink the time, effort, and money into doing this. I had a so-so undergrad GPA and now have a 4.0 across 6 graduate engineering classes that I'm hoping will mitigate if I decide to eventually apply to MBA programs. The reason I said choose carefully is because community college courses generally won't help much, and if you dive into a bunch of graduate-level business courses, some MBA adcoms hold this against you in that it will make their program less valuable for you. I am not sure what to recommend to you other than that the courses should be in line with your career goals; you'll have to do some research.

Also just pointing out that your GMAT scores are only valid for 5 years, so make sure that fits in your admissions timeline before you sit for the test.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Fellow applicants, always make sure to read the fine print on the eligibility sections. As I don't have a year of Calculus under my belt, I can't go to Rady at UCSD. And thanks to my learning disability with Mathematics, I sure as hell doubt that I could get even a B on it if I did a summer course! :(

Oh well; there's still the Universities of San Diego & Francisco. Not that they're Top 20s or anything...

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Agent Escalus posted:

Fellow applicants, always make sure to read the fine print on the eligibility sections. As I don't have a year of Calculus under my belt, I can't go to Rady at UCSD. And thanks to my learning disability with Mathematics, I sure as hell doubt that I could get even a B on it if I did a summer course! :(

Oh well; there's still the Universities of San Diego & Francisco. Not that they're Top 20s or anything...

I'm not sure what it's like at USD or USF but at our school if you can't handle basic calc and statistics you can't graduate. Math's one of the most important skills, and this is coming from someone who never cared much for it. Are you sure the MBA is the right fit?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I guess this question is somewhat applicable for this thread, sorry if it's a bit long-winded.

What did everyone give up to do an MBA, and do you feel it was worth it? Not the degree itself, but the fact that you walked away from some job or other opportunity and did the MBA instead. Where would you be if you just said "well I'm pretty happy where I am now, maybe I'll just stay?"

Basically, I'm kind of at a crossroads these days. I joined an investment bank after undergrad, so I make decent money already, and if all goes according to plan, I'll be at "MBA salary" within the next few years without actually getting a MBA. I've done a bit of asking around, and the syndicate doesn't actually pay for MBA programs. Word on the street is that's because people usually use MBAs to switch jobs.

Instead, we have all kinds of management training programs with projects handed down from senior management, modules at universities, and heaps of networking... but not an actual degree. Of course at the end of the program, you're making just as much as a MBA holder would if he/she joined the bank coming out of Stern or Wharton or whatever. It would seem like a waste to pass up that kind of opportunity if it's presented to me. Our CEO was in town yesterday and he said: "If you're not rich when you're as old as me, you did something wrong. Especially if you work in banking." Obviously said in jest, but it was an interesting comment.

That said, I don't want to do this for the rest of my life. Without getting to e/n, I'd eventually like to run my own business, so one day I'll switch into something else.

What do you guys suppose? I enjoy my job now, the company recognizes my abilities, and I certainly appreciate (and spend most of) the compensation they give me. If it's not broke, don't fix it, right? I'm not in any particular rush to get out of this position, yet in the back of my head, I feel like I should be making millions per year rather than thousands. Am I too greedy and full of myself? I'm fully aware of the prospects for success (I did my undergrad in Entrepreneurship, among other things), so no need to link me to gloomy websites.

I realize this is one of those, well only you can answer that dude kind of questions. I would just appreciate any advice from someone who may have "taken the dive" and switched from something already good just to... have a chance at something better. Clearly an MBA isn't cheap enough to obtain one for vanity's sake.

At this point I'm saying no don't do it mostly because I don't have any specific plan of what I want to do or why I need an MBA to accomplish that. Once I can be more specific, it seems like it would be worth revisiting. But in the meantime I'd appreciate any advice.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Hey zmcnulty, knowing about your particular situation from the times we've spent together, here are my thoughts. As I recall, you're in an investment bank but you're not actually in an analyst position, is that correct? Do you do any modeling work?

If you were in the typical IBD analyst track, I would probably recommend against the MBA. Used to be that the young analysts switched from IBD to PE/VC using the MBA, but PE/VC have largely dried up.

If you want to continue in finance, if you don't have the modeling experience, the MBA (from a top-tier; don't consider anything below) will help by leaps and bounds; it'll let you do a lateral across banking from S&T into IBD, equity research, etc. Also, given that you're in an overseas branch, if you want to work in finance in a US office, the MBA helps a lot.

Being realistic, though, don't have expectations to earn millions with the MBA off the bat. Even in IBD the graduating associate will earn around 200k in a good year. It'll take a while to reach the VP/MD level where you can rake in seven digits, and you'd have to sell your soul to the finance gods for that.

That said, even if you don't want to work in finance, the top-tier MBA helps a great deal. The network you have access to is incredibly powerful, the modeling skills you learn unparalleled, and the pedigree will help you well into the future. I didn't expect to get the job I did when I started, but I landed a dream position just working through the network.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
I think he meant earning millions from running his own business.

I'm not going to recommend going for the MBA or not, but just to continue putting yourself in the best possible situation and seizing opportunities as they arise. If the MBA is part of that, so be it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

zmcnulty posted:

At this point I'm saying no don't do it mostly because I don't have any specific plan of what I want to do or why I need an MBA to accomplish that. Once I can be more specific, it seems like it would be worth revisiting. But in the meantime I'd appreciate any advice.

This is exactly the right thought process. You'd be giving up a lot to get it right now, and shouldn't do so unless you have a plan for getting more later. You don't, so now's not the time.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

zmcnulty posted:

I think it really depends on a few things: what exactly your position is now, what you want to do a few years from now (and where), and what you want to do long term.

If you're a trader your options are pretty set and you'd need an MBA to switch; if you're a banker you have a ton of options and you can go either way, but it's pretty abnormal for someone to enjoy and want to continue banking more than 2-3 years; and if you're back office you'll probably need to get an MBA if you want to lateral into another industry/role, but if you enjoy what you do and it pays well then maybe just stick with it (though you may be pigeonholed into it long term).

It seems like a lot of people in your position who don't know what exactly they want to do do consulting post-MBA because it gives them transferrable skills and a broad look into a bunch of different industries and another few years to decide.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the issue is that I have no goals or plans at the moment. Throughout undergrad, my big goal was to get a decent entry-level job in Japan, work 3-5 years, then think about an MBA. I'm getting towards the "think about an MBA" stage, but unfortunately I couldn't be bothered to think what comes after that.

I started a website and sold it 2 years later for $40K, so the way I see it, even if I start a business when I'm 40, it won't be too late. For every person who says I have to do it while I'm young as I'll later have obligations preventing me from putting in the hours required, there's another person who says the business know-how, contacts, and financial buffer of being a veteran are indispensible for a successful business.

One of my managers (who has an MBA, consequently) recently ended his 25-year career in banking to focus on his side business: real estate. He already owns 12 properties and was evidently confident enough to walk away from his job. That's the kind of move I wouldn't mind making -- rather than just jumping off the cliff and hoping his parachute worked, he used his spare time to turn secondary income into primary income. Maybe I should start another website...

Carfax Report posted:

Hey zmcnulty, knowing about your particular situation from the times we've spent together, here are my thoughts. As I recall, you're in an investment bank but you're not actually in an analyst position, is that correct? Do you do any modeling work?

Except for that one time I was nominated for "Hottest rear end on 2008 UBS New Grads," no, zero modeling work. I mean we do ops-type modeling like risk modeling, capacity modeling, and so forth, but nothing that actually requires financial knowledge.

I should have been clearer in my earlier post. I am not interested in FO roles at this point; I realize they're more glamorous, but I get the feeling I would burnout before getting to a level (MD) where the rewards vs. my current role outweigh the hours & pressure vs. my current role. Maybe I'm just not well-informed about the breadth of what's available in the FO. Perhaps I should do some more investigation and see if there's something I could aim for.

Jay, you and I can discuss this more when you get here. Getting an MBA or not is one thing, but as you're aware, trying to tie it in a primarily "what's an MBA" country is a different topic that I hadn't planned on addressing in this thread.

Modern Life Is War posted:

I think he meant earning millions from running his own business.

... just to continue putting yourself in the best possible situation and seizing opportunities as they arise. If the MBA is part of that, so be it.

Indeed, that's what I meant. At least I now have enough contacts in finance so I can easily find out how to get my shares listed, who I should takeover, and where I can score some coke.

"Seizing opportunities as they arise" is my motto. Let's be frank though, if she's over 32 years old, she better look young.

flyingfoggy posted:

if you're back office you'll probably need to get an MBA if you want to lateral into another industry/role, but if you enjoy what you do and it pays well then maybe just stick with it (though you may be pigeonholed into it long term).

It seems like a lot of people in your position who don't know what exactly they want to do do consulting post-MBA because it gives them transferrable skills and a broad look into a bunch of different industries and another few years to decide.

I've convinced myself that I would prefer to switch industries before switching into FO. What, specifically, can an MBA be used for in this case? Jay you mentioned modeling skills and networking, is there anything else? I'd like to think I have better networking skills than most people, I mean I organized and executed a 175-person banking BBQ from scratch, but I don't exactly have Fortune 500 CEOs on my speed dial either.

Thanks for the suggestion about consulting. I'm quite interested in seeing how things work (that's why I did SCM in school and why I'm in Ops now), so perhaps consulting would be a good fit out on the other side. At least here in Japan the travel wouldn't be as much of a hassle. One guy in Ops here put in 2 years at Accenture, so he'll be a good resource.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 21, 2010

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

zmcnulty posted:

I should have been clearer in my earlier post. I am not interested in FO roles at this point; I realize they're more glamorous, but I get the feeling I would burnout before getting to a level (MD) where the rewards vs. my current role outweigh the hours & pressure vs. my current role. Maybe I'm just not well-informed about the breadth of what's available in the FO. Perhaps I should do some more investigation and see if there's something I could aim for.

Jay, you and I can discuss this more when you get here. Getting an MBA or not is one thing, but as you're aware, trying to tie it in a primarily "what's an MBA" country is a different topic that I hadn't planned on addressing in this thread.

Definitely, let's talk more when I'm back this summer. If you're planning to stay in Japan long term I don't think the MBA is the right path, but if you're coming back to the states, I think it's a great move.

quote:

I've convinced myself that I would prefer to switch industries before switching into FO. What, specifically, can an MBA be used for in this case? Jay you mentioned modeling skills and networking, is there anything else? I'd like to think I have better networking skills than most people, I mean I organized and executed a 175-person banking BBQ from scratch, but I don't exactly have Fortune 500 CEOs on my speed dial either.

Most of the people in school already have the networking skills- you need it to even get in. It's helping you build that rolodex. In addition to the modeling skills and powerful connections, if you're at a top ten then there's the pedigree and the companies working to beat a path to your doorstep which help pad the usefulness of the MBA. People return your e-mails and calls when you drop word that you're a student at one of the schools.

I think for someone in your position, already at a powerhouse firm, the MBA is less useful than for others, but opens up new doors. And for some types of entrepreneurship, the MBA may also not be the right path given the cost/benefit ratio. For other types, like real estate, though, it's a very good choice because it helps you connect to the REITs that might otherwise not talk to you, or give you access to the venture capital guys through the various forums that we hold here with them, etc.

quote:

Thanks for the suggestion about consulting. I'm quite interested in seeing how things work (that's why I did SCM in school and why I'm in Ops now), so perhaps consulting would be a good fit out on the other side. At least here in Japan the travel wouldn't be as much of a hassle. One guy in Ops here put in 2 years at Accenture, so he'll be a good resource.

I'm on board with consulting as a pretty good option as well.

Serpentine
Oct 7, 2005

Curiosity killed the catbread

zmcnulty posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the issue is that I have no goals or plans at the moment. Throughout undergrad, my big goal was to get a decent entry-level job in Japan, work 3-5 years, then think about an MBA. I'm getting towards the "think about an MBA" stage, but unfortunately I couldn't be bothered to think what comes after that.

If you speak more than one language an alternative to an MBA is the CEMS MIM. Most of the partner universities also offer a domestic English only version of the course.

I walked from an ops role in Morgan Stanley to do it and I don't regret it.

Obviously not as good or detailed as an MBA but it's highly regarded, and has a ridiculous number of high profile corporate partners.

The course also has a big emphasis on entrepreneurship and strategy rather than quant finance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Got a chance to talk to Jim Swanson (Harvard MBA, regular CNBC/Bloomberg TV guest, Chief Investment Strategist at MFS) today, and it was really awesome. He gave us a run down of his current viewpoint on the markets, doled out some general career advice, and told us his door was always open if we wanted to pick his brain for career advice which is going to be loving awesome. I now need to think up good questions before my internship ends in June.