Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sit with your crotch up against the tank, because as soon as you brake hard its going to be there anyway.

I'll move around if I'm on the highway or something, but for stop and go traffic and twisty roads, its crotch-on-tank all the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shempt_The_Mighty posted:

Thanks Z3n. The ride this morning was a bit smoother, so maybe it was some crosswind action or something yesterday. Might take it to the dealer and have them take a ride on it anyway.

It cannot tell if i have power at the coils. How would I check that?

It could also just be you adjusting to the feel of a new bike. Are the rear shocks blown on your other bike?

Do you have a multimeter and a wiring diagram? That's what you need to start diagnosing electrical systems.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

For aggressive riding you generally want to be sitting up against the tank to be as connected to the bike as possible. The only exception to this is that sometimes people like scooting backwards on the exits of corners to put more weight on the rear wheel, but I don't know how effective that is at maintaining rear traction.

Actually, it's usually the reverse for aggressive riding...You hold yourself back off the tank under hard braking to keep the rear wheel from lifting, and then you move forward under acceleration to keep weight over the front and to keep the front from lifting.

For the street, though, it's whatever is most comfortable. Some people fit a given sportbike really well. I know a guy who commutes on a 749 and has racked up over 60k on it, for me that bike is like sitting on a bar stool while eating at a table for midgets. I hurt riding 2 miles up and down a twisty road.

Gnomad posted:

I4's all seem to have a "resonance" where they buzz and throb and generally make your teeth itch. Balance shafts help but they don't work at every RPM range.

For smooth, you want a triple. I've had a Triumph triple and a BMW triple brick and both of those motors were turbine smooth. The BMW was so smooth that it was borderline boring.

My S3 T595 was pretty vibey, but I think that bike was about 30 seconds from ejecting a conrod.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
I too like nuts against the tank for riding but if I get on a more relaxed pace I tend to scoot a tiny bit back and ride with my left hand on my left thigh. Gives my back a bit of a rest.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If it's cold, I ride with my hand cupping my nuts. Hand warms nuts. Tank blocks wind from hitting my hand.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I cup my nuts whenever I'm walking around in riding gear, regardless of temperature.

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Z3n posted:

It could also just be you adjusting to the feel of a new bike. Are the rear shocks blown on your other bike?

Do you have a multimeter and a wiring diagram? That's what you need to start diagnosing electrical systems.

I actually sat down and read the owners manual for the first time last night, and it says that for the first 1k miles I am not supposed to give it more than half throttle. Yeah...that didn't happen. Since I backed off the throttle a bit and let it get speed more gradually, the ride seems to be smoother.

I have the diagram and the multimeter, so I guess it is back to testing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I actually sat down and read the owners manual for the first time last night, and it says that for the first 1k miles I am not supposed to give it more than half throttle. Yeah...that didn't happen. Since I backed off the throttle a bit and let it get speed more gradually, the ride seems to be smoother.

Yeah, honestly, I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to break in a motorcycle when you can't ride the drat thing. I'd just make sure it's warmed up, and try to avoid sitting at the same RPM for extended periods of time. Just my 2c though.

You should be able to trace the power through to the coils...check the terminals at the coils against ground with the key on and the bike ready to go.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Yeah, honestly, I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to break in a motorcycle when you can't ride the drat thing. I'd just make sure it's warmed up, and try to avoid sitting at the same RPM for extended periods of time. Just my 2c though.

I used to obsess about the break in of my bikes. When I bought the KTM I rode the poo poo out of it for the first 100 miles. Changed the oil. Continued to ride the poo poo out of it, changed the oil at 500. Again at 1000. I just never stopped riding it to death. Almost 7k miles later, it runs great, no issues, oil always looks good.

Just don't hang out at one RPM for long periods of time, or at least I tried to avoid doing so in the first few hundred miles.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

laymil posted:

I rode from NJ to Atlanta without syncing the carbs and had started to lose feeling in my right toes because of it.

True story, Last spring I spent 2 or so weeks riding around out west on my ninja 250. When I got back I couldn't feel my thumb and first two fingers on my right hand for about 2 weeks, that's when I went to the doc, and got a prescription.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

RichBomb posted:

I have an automatic cam chain tensioner, unless you turn the release with a screwdriver the plunger/tension rod doesn't move at all. Is this right? Do I install and turn the screw to get dynamic tension? The manual says it should move freely without binding so I'm suspicious it's screwed up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If it's like the auto tensioner on my Vulcan, the shaft (hehe) is "ratcheted", meaning it can push out but not be pushed back in. When you take it off the bike, there is no force pushing against the shaft and the spring will push it out all the way.

From what I gathered from the manual (mine was slightly different than in the manual), you put the tensioner on with a screwdriver in there preventing the shaft from extending until the whole thing is assembled, then release the spring. It will push against the chain with the proper force and chain will prevent it from extending all the way.

I'm assuming with yours, you would put it on, relax the tension so the cam chain can push the shaft in, then release the tension so the shaft and chain can come to an equilibrium.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

RichBomb posted:

Can you take a picture of it? They're all a little different. I only have experience with the type that Uthor talks about.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So now that most new bikes these days come with fuel injection, will there be a time very soon when we'll start seeing direct injection engines in motorcycles like in cars? Seems to be the next logical progression, improved power, fuel economy, and they should sound awesome?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It seems a lot of early 80's Hondas had problems with the crank or cam sensors going bad causing no spark conditions. I had a Nighthawk 450 with the same issue. After checking god damned everything I could think of I talked to my Goldwing buddies who told me the early 80's Wings liked to poo poo those sensors. I figured screw it, I'll toss some parts at it. Luckily it worked.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006
So I was finally able to complete a 25 mile ride without my bike dying on me, which I take as a success.

But after about 30 minutes my index and middle finger on my throttle hand had been vibrated dead and I couldn't feel anything in them. But my left hand and ring/pinkie on my right were fine. Anyone know a way to reduce vibration through the throttle/handlebars?

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

TiberiusM posted:

So I was finally able to complete a 25 mile ride without my bike dying on me, which I take as a success.

But after about 30 minutes my index and middle finger on my throttle hand had been vibrated dead and I couldn't feel anything in them. But my left hand and ring/pinkie on my right were fine. Anyone know a way to reduce vibration through the throttle/handlebars?

read through the previous page.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TiberiusM posted:

Loosen up a little bit. I only had dead hand vibrations after 2 weeks at nearly full throttle for 8~ hours a day.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
quoted from two pages ago or so

hayden. posted:

My 1995 KLR 650 was having problems idling. I took the carb out today and sprayed the gently caress out of it with carb cleaner. I spent another hour just getting the loving thing back in.

It idles perfectly!

It dies the second I give it any throttle!

It now has the exact reverse problem as it did before I cleaned it. What should I check for?

edit: it also won't idle without any choke
You're having 'low speed circuit' issues, I think. Once it's warm, if you leave the choke off, and crank it over while simultaneously giving it 50% throttle, and it starts, theres your problem. My issue was (I think) those little pilot jets/holes. There are like 4-6 of them, and I basically had to jab them with a pin. It was a pain. Oh yeah, also, make sure your 'boots' are tightened down, and there isn't any sand/poo poo in between the air filter and the back of the carb.

It honestly took me at least 3 times taking the carb out/cleaning/reinstalling. It ran fine when I put it away, I think. It makes me nervous now to go up and get it out of storage. :(

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

infraboy posted:

So now that most new bikes these days come with fuel injection, will there be a time very soon when we'll start seeing direct injection engines in motorcycles like in cars? Seems to be the next logical progression, improved power, fuel economy, and they should sound awesome?

Snowmobiles and outboards are using some 2 cycle direct injection, successfully making big power and improving fuel economy. Trying to make them pass emissions on a street bike might take some time but if BRP/Rotax wants do, they could do it.

Putting this in a bike would be compleatly batshit. 150 HP!

http://www.supertraxmag.com/article.asp?nid=1571

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

infraboy posted:

Yamaha was reputedly working on it for MotoGP but struggling with it. So if they can't get it right yet (Yamaha does a lot of automotive enginerring, including direct injection), it's while off. Like a lot of car tech, getting it to work on bikes is most likely an issue of trying to get it to work at high-rpm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

infraboy posted:

Motorcycles seem to stay a ways back from the car world, technology-wise, but they push the technology that they do use a whole lot further.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So I haven't done valves yet and the 250 is at 10,xxx miles. Any bets on how long until the engine explodes spectacularly in a blaze of glory?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

-Inu- posted:

So I haven't done valves yet and the 250 is at 10,xxx miles. Any bets on how long until the engine explodes spectacularly in a blaze of glory?

The bike will very likely start running like poo poo well before the valve clearances get out-of-spec enough to cause real damage.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Does that year of 250 use shim under bucket or the screw adjustable type?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Shims and buckets I do believe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Shims and buckets I do believe.

The adjustment interval should be covered in the owner's manual...checking them is pretty easy, it's the adjustment that's harder.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Haha yeah they're supposed to be done every 6k, I've just been too lazy/cheap to do it. I've got a buddy who will do it for around $150, think it's worth that to save the time and hassle? I don't have a proper toolbox to do it myself but I suppose for that price I could pick up a decent set of applicable stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Haha yeah they're supposed to be done every 6k, I've just been too lazy/cheap to do it. I've got a buddy who will do it for around $150, think it's worth that to save the time and hassle? I don't have a proper toolbox to do it myself but I suppose for that price I could pick up a decent set of applicable stuff.

I'd at least check it myself. That won't require too many tools. Then if needed, have your friend drop by and do the actual adjustment. It's best to have someone experienced to watch over the first time you do something. Maybe you can bribe him with beer to just watch/help?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
A check does not automatically mean you need to adjust them. Shim and buckets tend to stay in range until you either roll up big miles and the valves start receding into the heads or your chambers are getting really gunked up and the valves aren't closing all the way. Of all the bikes I've owned over the years with shim/buckets, I think I've swapped out 3 shims total.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

A check does not automatically mean you need to adjust them. Shim and buckets tend to stay in range until you either roll up big miles and the valves start receding into the heads or your chambers are getting really gunked up and the valves aren't closing all the way. Of all the bikes I've owned over the years with shim/buckets, I think I've swapped out 3 shims total.

Lucky bastard! I've got my own 7.48 shim set for adjusting them. :sigh: I've done them on all of my SVs, my E once, and the bikes of friends.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Just to needle you further then, those shims were on Triumph. The shims were the same size as ones used on some Hondas so I went to the shop, where the parts guy tells me he'll swap my shims for his for $2.50 each. IIRC, the Triumph shop wanted $12 per shim.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Gnomad posted:

Of all the bikes I've owned over the years with shim/buckets, I think I've swapped out 3 shims total.

Thats good news because I've been avoiding the valves on my bike for a year now mainly because of what a pain in the rear end it will be if they need adjustment. They do sound nice and loose right now anyways.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

I'd at least check it myself. That won't require too many tools. Then if needed, have your friend drop by and do the actual adjustment. It's best to have someone experienced to watch over the first time you do something. Maybe you can bribe him with beer to just watch/help?
That's probably what I'll do, sounds like the most logical choice.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

8ender posted:

Thats good news because I've been avoiding the valves on my bike for a year now mainly because of what a pain in the rear end it will be if they need adjustment. They do sound nice and loose right now anyways.

slappy valves are happy valves!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TiberiusM posted:

1. Ease up on your death grip.
2. Get gloves with padding in the palms.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

I didn't think I had a death grip, but maybe I did, it was my first time riding in fairly windy conditions.

Padding is a good idea.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Just to needle you further then, those shims were on Triumph. The shims were the same size as ones used on some Hondas so I went to the shop, where the parts guy tells me he'll swap my shims for his for $2.50 each. IIRC, the Triumph shop wanted $12 per shim.

God, I'd forgotten that I adjusted the valves on my T595. Shim over bucket, turn the engine via the rear wheel. :downs: Thankfully, the tool was only ~30$ online, and I got a stack of shims from a friend who had blown his T595 motor. And I need to get into the ZZR, I can almost promise that those are out too. :sigh:

8ender posted:

I'd at least check them. Then you can know if it needs it or not, and checking them is pretty easy.

Doctor Zero posted:

Excellent advice. Doc Wong, who puts on riding clinics in the Bay Area, always says that you should hold on to the handlebars like there is rice paper between your hands and the bars. You should, essentially, be able to lift your hands off the bars at any time. (Obviously, you have to hold on to the throttle, but if you can't remove your left hand from the bars at any point, including midcorner, you are not light enough on the bars).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Are shims that much of a PITA? I have screw adjusters on my bike and it's definitely harder to remove the tank, drain all the coolant, remove a half dozen hoses, and then angle the valve cover just so to clear both the engine and the frame (takes at least three tries every time I do it), than it is to turn eight screws and jam nuts. If I'm checking the clearance, I'm adjusting it.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006

Uthor posted:

Are shims that much of a PITA? I have screw adjusters on my bike and it's definitely harder to remove the tank, drain all the coolant, remove a half dozen hoses, and then angle the valve cover just so to clear both the engine and the frame (takes at least three tries every time I do it), than it is to turn eight screws and jam nuts. If I'm checking the clearance, I'm adjusting it.

The only problem with shims is you don't know what size you need. In my case, I don't have any shims on hand, so I have to do a clearance check, then order the shims, wait for them to arrive, then install them. Removing them from the buckets can be a hassle sometimes too, but its not that bad. Screw adjusters you can adjust then and there and be on your merry way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I have an aftermarket 8-wire rectifier that I have to wire into my 5-wire harness for a 1994 CBR600F2. Pictures here: http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106975&page=2

The guy I bought the R/R from gave me the doubled-up red and green wires to put into the connectors for the harness side and solder onto the existing wires.

Here's my problem. There's a black wire that goes into the R/R, and it is not one of the 5 wires that originally plugged into the stock R/R. On the wiring diagram, it lists one of the two green grounding wires that ground out into the mounting bracket as Gr/Bl, so I'm guessing one is the black wire. How do I know which one it is? And do I just splice the grounding wire into both the bracket AND the R/R? That doesn't seem to make sense.

The guy that sold me the R/R calls it the "main switched power lead."

The R/R I bought is linked here: http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/VRRPM.html - bottom of the page.

For reference, I thought I wired it up correctly last week, but apparently didn't, because my battery cooked while riding and it smelled like bad eggs. It got a charge, it was just way too much charge.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 22, 2010