Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ditch posted:

Sugiura will miss the upcoming short tour with a curse arm fracture. The key is if he can make the big-ish show on the 28th, and if not that, then can he return for the big singles tournament tour on April 10th. Though maybe he wouldn't have been in the tourney anyway.

:( they're gonna have to put the belt back on sasaki if this keeps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

dusty udder smoker posted:

:( they're gonna have to put the belt back on sasaki if this keeps up.

Kawada.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Kawada.

you cannot injure a tree.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

You can break it's branches.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

You can break it's branches.

not this one.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kawada: vacated the Triple Crown twice due to injury

Sasaki: held the IWGP, GHC and Triple Crown belts without vacating

Advantage: Sasaki

My favorite thing about Sasaki is that he's a 24 year pro but totally doesn't look it. Compare to 2005 Misawa at the same experience, or Kobashi who has less than 20 years worth of tours. The difference? He doesn't have a trademark top rope move to kill his knees, and never busted his spine.

On a vaguely related note to that .gif, here's the DVDVR Best of 2009 vote results:
http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=51264

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch that is an amazing amount of work.

I applaud you.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The real reason Sasaki manages to stay so healthy is that loving Akira Hokuto gives you superpowers.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Thanks Hulka! I think the longest part (with the vote itself) is writing out the results.

Also, if boning Hokuto led to Kenskay using the northern lights bomb, let's all hope he doesn't bust out an uraken...

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Hey it's been like 36 hours, time for another puro injury!

Mutoh is out with a knee injury. Considering that he gets it scoped/flushed/whatever about every-other week it's got to be serious for him to miss shows.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Mutoh is a constant knee injury so yeah that's pretty bad if he can't strap two ice blocks and a huge brace to his knees and go out there to work a crowd. What will be really telling is if he isn't in the Gorilla position like he normally is at shows.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2010/03/11/puroresu-pulse-issue-166-more-funk-than-george-clinton/
FUNKAMANIA

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

'Tis a shameful thing that funk never made any money off terryman.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
KENTA's new hair and shirt:
http://noah.co.jp/imgs/newsimg/100312_04.jpg

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

FIND ME THE STORE THAT SELLS THAT SHIRT TO GAIJIN FOOLS STAT!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ditch posted:

wanna buy that shirt

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Also he might return on May 24th, which is the date on another of his shirts. I expect that to be another show he's running like last year's with him vs Akiyama, so that would be a logical time if he's ready.

coconono posted:

FIND ME THE STORE THAT SELLS THAT SHIRT TO GAIJIN FOOLS STAT!
Sure would you like one that fits a child or one that fits a 12 year old girl? Oh what's that, you weigh more than 100 pounds??

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Also he might return on May 24th, which is the date on another of his shirts. I expect that to be another show he's running like last year's with him vs Akiyama, so that would be a logical time if he's ready.

Sure would you like one that fits a child or one that fits a 12 year old girl? Oh what's that, you weigh more than 100 pounds??

I can fit into a Youth Large. Hit me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A Japanese XL equals an American L, so if fit into a Large you will be OK. Although it doesn't seem to be very uniform, my Morishima shirt fits loosely while my DANGER: MUTA IN CAR shirt is tight.

I have two Japanese wrestling shirts, I am a monster :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

but but but KENTA weighs in at 180lbs?!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Ditch posted:

Okay if nobody can dig this match then I give up

Kaientai Deluxe vs Delfin, Hamada, Tiger Mask 4, Naniwa & Yakushiji, Michinoku Pro October 10th 1996

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NIB0JCEB

One of the definitive puro matches. Lots of fun, lots of action, ridiculously good execution on everything, non-stop pace, it's one of the few matches everyone agrees on.

So, that was pretty great.

I really liked how they didn't overdo it with moves, particularly shown with how everyone kept going for dives, but everyone knew when dives were approaching, so they weren't succesfully done until everyone was worn down. Oh, and the way that Kaientai just seems to say mid-way through the match "we're the established team, why the gently caress aren't we double-teaming the poo poo out of them?"

Also, funaki has terrible fashion sense.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Pretty much the only Riki Choshu match you ever need to see

Choshu vs Hashimoto, New Japan G-1 Climax 1996

http://theditch.us/1996-08-2-HashimotovsChoshu.avi

Choshu was in a number of top matches during the '80s, but over time his moveset became sub-Hogan and his in-ring ability suffered for it. It's not as though he wasn't in ANY good matches, just that it's very few, especially in a way that's notably good compared to other puro. That's what makes this match so special. And it's not like Choshu suddenly busts out a ton of moves, but that they're able to use really simple offense to great effect.

The background is that Choshu announced this would be his last G-1 Climax, en route to the end of the main phase of his career in '98. Hashimoto comes in as the champ. Neither one of them wants to go down, and the defiant finish is must-see.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I actually was skimming your site a few days ago and was looking for Hashimoto matches and that one stuck out.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Blocks announced for NOAH's tournament.

A
Sugiura
Rikioh
Sano
Smith
Akiyama
Sasaki

B
Marufuji
Morishima
Yone
Saito
Takayama
Kawada

So... this could be good.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Looking forward to pretty much any B block matchup that doesn't involve Saito and Yone. Especially Maru vs Kawada.

A block has more dead weight but it will be interesting to see how strong Sugi is booked.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Akiyama vs. Sasaki or Akiyama vs. Smith will be interesting.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Now Taue is hurt :psyduck:

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008

Ditch posted:

Choshu vs Hashimoto, New Japan G-1 Climax 1996

http://theditch.us/1996-08-2-HashimotovsChoshu.avi

I had already seen this match, and to be honest I didn't think much of it. Part of that is I kinda think Hashimoto is overrated; yeah he's really stiff and generally has good matches, but he doesn't always sell well and just isn't as good as his All Japan contemporaries (That's not really a fair comparison, but most of the puro I've seen is AJ, so....). Having seen more NJ stuff and getting a feel for the style, I had a greater appreciation for it-I still don't think it's the uber-classic some think it is, but it's good fun and Choshu sells Hash's kicks really well.

Re: Taue-Jesus Christ. Is NOAH as close to death as they seem these days?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ditch posted:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I don't think Hashimoto is even close to the AJ '90s crew, and for a long while I didn't think much of him. Over the years I learned how to not expect five-star ultra-classics every time I watched puro. Seriously, that's almost how I felt, I can't begin to count the number of matches I love today but hated at first because there wasn't a ton of hot nearfalls or something. Choshu vs Hashimoto is about pride and fighting spirit done with low-end moves, as opposed to layers of psychology and intricate transitions followed by a bunch of finishers. Not for everyone but, IMO, well worth seeing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

how? that guy is made of gristle and mean intentions

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
All Japan '90s returns!

Misawa & Akiyama vs Kawada & Taue, Tag League 1996

http://theditch.biz/MisawaAkiyamaVsKawadaTaue11-29-96.avi

Kawada & Taue lost the tag titles in May. Okay, Kawada had a flukey leg injury to set up Akiyama pinning him there, that's not so bad. But then Misawa and Akiyama retained in July in reasonably decisive fashion, so Kawada and Taue really want to prove themselves here. The key isn't whether they can get in much offense, but whether they can do so AND fend off the almightly Misawa Comeback™.

This sets the stage for one of the best matches ever so you should watch it!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Triple Crown Champion Ryota Hama

:ughh:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

uh? who?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

coconono posted:

uh? who?

The Second coming of Akebono

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Ditch posted:

Holy crap I might have to start watching AJPW again. What exactly is the Ryota Hammerfinisher?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

That's a pretty big move.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Jackhammer. So that move is apparently Kojima's kryptonite

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ditch posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
More big results:
Goto beat Makabe in the NJ Cup final, will face Nakamura for the title at the April 4th Korakuen show, which will also have Marufuji vs Liger.

YAMATO wins the Dragon Gate title from Doi, ending Doi's year-plus run.