Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

tbp posted:

What position do you play?

Left back, always left back. Except for kick abouts down the park when my mate goes left and I go right. Left footed wanker stealing my position :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

identikit posted:

Left back, always left back. Except for kick abouts down the park when my mate goes left and I go right. Left footed wanker stealing my position :argh:

..in the locker room !!!! hahahahalhflksadhfklsdfhldskf

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I played right back for like two games once. I hated the gently caress out of fullback. Its so much about effort, and you could honestly just gently caress about and never overlap and poo poo and thats literally what I did. Sweeper/CAM here..

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

tbp posted:

I played right back for like two games once. I hated the gently caress out of fullback. Its so much about effort, and you could honestly just gently caress about and never overlap and poo poo and thats literally what I did. Sweeper/CAM here..

Depends really. 5-a-side is a piece of piss generally. But on a full sized pitch I'd stick p. deep and only go on a run very rarely. Only scored 5 goals in 6ish seasons (one or two were as GK) when I was a kid.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tbp posted:

gently caress that. Play left/right back like Patrice Evra or Glen Johnson. I'm constantly in the attacking third of the field. It helps that my midfielders can't cross the ball for poo poo so I overlap and send balls in, which inevitably get skied or shanked away anyway. :negative:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

gently caress that I'm just never playing fullback haha. I like CAM to much now, because i get to pretend to be Ronaldinho.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

tbp posted:

gently caress that I'm just never playing fullback haha. I like CAM to much now, because i get to pretend to be Ronaldinho.

Better not play me then, I will attempt to kill you within the first 5 minutes with an industrial tackle.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

identikit posted:

Better not play me then, I will attempt to kill you within the first 5 minutes with an industrial tackle.

Haha this happens to me all the time. My ankles are raw as gently caress

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gently caress y'all, play as a DM and just demolish people is all its about

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bovine Delight posted:

gently caress y'all, play as a DM and just demolish people is all its about

I literally want to kill myself if I have to play in the middle of the field and one of our regular center backs has been hurt most of the season so I've been playing there. Hate hate hate.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

I literally want to kill myself if I have to play in the middle of the field and one of our regular center backs has been hurt most of the season so I've been playing there. Hate hate hate.

Get a ringer in? Hell we had a brand new striker the other day. He scored a hat-trick.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

identikit posted:

Get a ringer in? Hell we had a brand new striker the other day. He scored a hat-trick.

Doesn't work like that. Everyone in our league is registered and we have to present a player pass before every match. You can't just bring in random dudes. There are even rules about not being eligible for the amateur leagues if you've played professionally in the past 3 years and stuff like that.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

Shrapnac posted:

Doesn't work like that. Everyone in our league is registered and we have to present a player pass before every match. You can't just bring in random dudes. There are even rules about not being eligible for the amateur leagues if you've played professionally in the past 3 years and stuff like that.

:ssh: We have to be registered too. Nobody really checks club membership though. And it kinda makes the point moot if you get 1st team players dropping into 4th teams.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Just bought these,

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&query=puma+c+1.10&N=0&Product_Id=545194

hope they fit as awesome as they look.

Interesting note, it was actually cheaper for me to order them from Prodirect in England than Eurosport in the US, even with shipping and the Goal Club discount.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Don't think I'll be playing again any time soon!!

Yorkshire Tournament was a loving load of fun apart from being up at 3:30am yesterday, being a complete zombie in Leeds all day yesterday (we arrived at 7:30am, got to the hotel around 9, couldn't check in till 12 fffffff), and, well, that happening to my foot.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My first outdoor game as a forward went surprisingly well. I played a right winger, and I had two assists, helping us to a 3-1 victory.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I got burned about 20 times playing center back against my neighborhood Brazilians today. I'm so out of shape :negative:

Stim
Sep 6, 2006

We are not feeling edgy; the system is feeling nervous.
Had a game of 5 a side on Friday night. We won 15-9 over an hour... I scored a grand total of 0 goals but set up 7. I wish there was a was for me to practice shooting with those lovely indoor balls - I've never really adapted to them.

Ah well at least I'm setting some up. I love playing just in front the man furthest back for our team.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Laid up at the moment, was playing 5 a side last Saturday and challenged a dithering centre back, slipped as I put my left foot out to get the ball and my foot caught in the turf as I fell, basically bending my heel way too far back, like 130 degrees. Had to sit out for a while but I was able to hobble about for a bit before the end of the game.

I guess it's just a sprain, it hurt like hell the first few days but it's calming down now. I dunno when I'll be able to play again or even if to see a doctor about it, it always feels embarrassing taking football injuries to the doc so he can give me a withering look and some painkillers.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

RedPaddy posted:

Laid up at the moment, was playing 5 a side last Saturday and challenged a dithering centre back, slipped as I put my left foot out to get the ball and my foot caught in the turf as I fell, basically bending my heel way too far back, like 130 degrees. Had to sit out for a while but I was able to hobble about for a bit before the end of the game.

I guess it's just a sprain, it hurt like hell the first few days but it's calming down now. I dunno when I'll be able to play again or even if to see a doctor about it, it always feels embarrassing taking football injuries to the doc so he can give me a withering look and some painkillers.
Yeah my toe still has a bit of bruising on it, it's not as sore as it was last weekend but it's still a little uncomfortable to walk on. Hopefully it'll be improved by next weekend and I'll be able to have a little run around on Saturday.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Stim posted:

Had a game of 5 a side on Friday night. We won 15-9 over an hour... I scored a grand total of 0 goals but set up 7. I wish there was a was for me to practice shooting with those lovely indoor balls - I've never really adapted to them.

Ah well at least I'm setting some up. I love playing just in front the man furthest back for our team.

toe punt.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Current stats after 2 games (11 a side):

Goals: 0
Assists: 2
Yellow cards: 1

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Lobbed the keeper in 5 a side on Sunday. It was pretty sweet.

Pity we lost the game.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 23, 2010

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
It's all about the personal glory. After our best ever season last season, we start again tomorrow, against the reigning champions who are also my brother's team. Revenge win on the cards (I hope).

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Used to play twice a week, 6 or 7 per side. That stopped when the organiser got a real job and couldn't be bothered doing all the contacting and organising. Just started to play again in the past month and its been easier than ever since I've started weight-lifting and excercise-biking since then.

I don't enjoy: running for extended periods, dribbling, heading, wingers.

I do enjoy: one-touch passes, hoofing upfield and tackling people, old-fashioned shoulder charges

I'd happily play centre-half but being 5'5 kind of limits you. Doesn't make much difference indoors with 6 people but outdoors on a full pitch, I get slaughtered. As it is I guess I'm most capable at full-back. And a strongly defensive one at that. I can finish, but I need a quality pass to put me through and its very rare I'd be in the opponents penalty box.

Kind of like Kirk Broadfoot. But Wee. And without the one-touch passes. Or finishing.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 23, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ivan Cordoba is only 5'8", as long as you're still strong enough to challenge a big target man and play alongside someone who is good in the air you can still get by as a centre back.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh no question. One of the things I enjoy most on a football pitch is testing my strength against large target-men. I'll try and bully them as much as I can but they are always going to win the header.

Better to be a bit of a bobby carlos figure. Except, y'know, without attacking.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

hughsieblingwish posted:

Lobbed the keeper in 5 a side on Sunday. It was pretty sweet.

Pity we lost the game.

my crowning moment at 5's is last year when i scored while it was my turn in goals. i just saw the keeper not paying attention and lobbed it from the other end of the pitch.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Most unrewarding 10-nil win on the weekend. Scored a nice goal early, started to feel pretty good about myself, like tonight was the night for a big bag. Only to spend the rest of the game having every single other shot spectacularly stopped whilst everyone else capitalized on the rebounds.

Playing goals in all man league tomorrow, for the first time in a while. Need to prepare myself for the overly aggressive types.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Played in goal yesterday on account of me being the first to say, "[Regular goalie] is out, who's going to take his place?" Ended up with a 1-0 win, not bad. Had one tricky save from a tricky shot and a couple of decent saves from half-assed shots, but otherwise our defense kept the attackers at bay very nicely.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
oh god the inside of my right knee is killing me from practicing goal kicks. i think i'm doing it wrong

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CAMiasm posted:

oh god the inside of my right knee is killing me from practicing goal kicks. i think i'm doing it wrong

You're not locking out your knee which means you're probably hyperextending it every time you kick the ball. Swing through the ball, don't punch it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hughsieblingwish posted:

Playing goals in all man league tomorrow, for the first time in a while. Need to prepare myself for the overly aggressive types.

I'll be playing in goal in an advanced/competitive league for the first time in a few years tomorrow. I grew up playing keeper, but since high school I've been playing forward/CAM.

Fortunately, I've typically got a few inches and 20-30 pounds on the hyperaggressive types. I usually win in aggression as well.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I just played an hour in sleet, and then drove back while shivering uncontrollably, soaked to the bone. My compression shirt was not only saturated, it kept freezing and it hurt like hell to move my arms. Fantastic match.

John Zaibatsu
Jul 17, 2005

this sentence no verb
Dunno how kosher this is for this thread, as it's gear rec request, but whatever. I play GK, just casually. I'm looking for a pair of new gloves. I've had a pair of Puma KSLs for a few years that have treated me well, and a pair of Reusch Duo Pro Bowls that have not, and have honestly turned me off or Reusch. I'm looking for a new pair from 40-60ish USD. I've had good luck with Puma over the years (my favorite gloves ever were the old cellerators with the black mesh back, silver plastic web, and the internal finger cages) but haven't gone shopping for gloves in, oh, 3 years. Point me in the right direction?

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

I'll be playing in goal in an advanced/competitive league for the first time in a few years tomorrow. I grew up playing keeper, but since high school I've been playing forward/CAM.

Why not do both in the same match? When you make a save drop it and head for the goal!

brapbrapbrap
Jan 18, 2010

by T. Mascis
It's all gone off in my neck of the woods. My football team has a semi-final tomorrow night in a proper stadium and everything, and the team went up today. We have a squad of 18 so 2 people were going to miss out altogether and 2 wouldn't get on from the bench.

The gaffer put the team up on Facebook and it's gone nuts - two players are threatening to leave on the basis that they're on the bench, and one player who lives with me is in the process of moving his stuff out of our house after being left out of the squad, in possibly the biggest overreaction of all time. The whole team has got involved in bitch-fighting and all sorts of gayness, the manager has been told that a significant part of the squad think he's a poo poo manager (I tried to explain to him that every player he ever leaves out of the first eleven thinks he's a poo poo manager for a while, didn't make much difference) and he's now on the verge of refusing to select one player who was in the team.

I'm just sitting back watching it all unfold and trying to be positive and calm people down but it's getting ridiculous now.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

brapbrapbrap posted:

It's all gone off in my neck of the woods. My football team has a semi-final tomorrow night in a proper stadium and everything, and the team went up today. We have a squad of 18 so 2 people were going to miss out altogether and 2 wouldn't get on from the bench.

The gaffer put the team up on Facebook and it's gone nuts - two players are threatening to leave on the basis that they're on the bench, and one player who lives with me is in the process of moving his stuff out of our house after being left out of the squad, in possibly the biggest overreaction of all time. The whole team has got involved in bitch-fighting and all sorts of gayness, the manager has been told that a significant part of the squad think he's a poo poo manager (I tried to explain to him that every player he ever leaves out of the first eleven thinks he's a poo poo manager for a while, didn't make much difference) and he's now on the verge of refusing to select one player who was in the team.

I'm just sitting back watching it all unfold and trying to be positive and calm people down but it's getting ridiculous now.

On tonight's episode of dream team...

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

brapbrapbrap posted:

gently caress that. It's not the final.

Related, my 5s hockey team needed a win and some favourable results in the league to gain promotion this weekend. I turned up early, brought the goalie kit etc. Turns out though one player turned up randomly and wanted to play. League rules meant I then couldn't play as I was playing a 4s match later and we couldn't have any subs as a result. After 5 minutes on the pitch I'm forced to leave.

We're left with the worst defence possible and we lose 3-2 to a team that's only won once this season. Having to give the half time team talk was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow too. But gently caress it, it's not life or death.

Hope everybody comes to their senses. There will be other matches. You will get your shot. Also, love managers, no matter what. They complain? They try managing a squad of what seems like giant manbabies. Good luck brapx3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

John Zaibatsu posted:

Dunno how kosher this is for this thread, as it's gear rec request, but whatever. I play GK, just casually. I'm looking for a pair of new gloves. I've had a pair of Puma KSLs for a few years that have treated me well, and a pair of Reusch Duo Pro Bowls that have not, and have honestly turned me off or Reusch. I'm looking for a new pair from 40-60ish USD. I've had good luck with Puma over the years (my favorite gloves ever were the old cellerators with the black mesh back, silver plastic web, and the internal finger cages) but haven't gone shopping for gloves in, oh, 3 years. Point me in the right direction?

My friend has these and loves them http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Ne=646&N=4294960223+577+4294959027&Product_Id=486141