Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Flint Ironstag posted:

$6500? Is that bike made out of gold? OK, I had forgotten about that part of living in the Bay area. I miss the other stuff about living there, but you're right, the prices are mad. Luckily, since my old FZR (best bike ever) was so much fun and highly reliable, I never needed to go bike shopping for a new streetbike.

Yeah, theres still some good deals out there for people desperate to sell their toys after they lost their job or have bills to pay, but yeah, there seems to be some mentality that "oh I bought this bike for this price brand new, I have hardly ridden it for the last 5-6 years, it must still be worth close to what I bought it for right?"

I'm totally not buying another bike anytime soon, still, looking at them in craigslist is fun and addicting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Flint Ironstag posted:

$6500? Is that bike made out of gold? OK, I had forgotten about that part of living in the Bay area. I miss the other stuff about living there, but you're right, the prices are mad. Luckily, since my old FZR (best bike ever) was so much fun and highly reliable, I never needed to go bike shopping for a new streetbike.

There are good deals to be found in the bay. There are just a lot of crazy/stupid people out there too. LA has a pretty good motorcycle market, SD is great for dirt stuff, and the bay just has a lot of esoteric and unique stuff, plus the occasional killer deal (which you have to be way on top of CL to get).

Jaros posted:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/1643687314.html

Still lookin for my first bike as I'm getting tired of having to use my friend's Ninja 500 when I want to go riding. I know the mileage is a bit much but that price looks pretty nice. Think I should try to work it down a bit or is $1k pretty reasonable for 25k mile GS500?

It's reasonable as long as he's adjusted the valves approximately every 4k like needs to be done. The engines are absurdly durable, but if you let the valves go for too long it will burn them.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm pretty interested in this but the price seems just a little high. Would it be fair to offer less (around 1500) or what are some things I can use to knock chunks of the price off while inspecting it?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/1651562931.html

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm pretty interested in this but the price seems just a little high. Would it be fair to offer less (around 1500) or what are some things I can use to knock chunks of the price off while inspecting it?

For one, it has obvious fire damage.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jabs posted:

The Canadian Dollar is as close to parity with the USD as I've ever seen.
1200 USD is 1212.84 in Moon Money today.

Canadian prices are still higher for some (baffling) reason, though.
CAN$ went over US$ in 2007. Exchange rates have little to do with historic pricing though. The market is also tiny compared to the US for bikes, so they hold their value.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Spiffness posted:

Where?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The usual wear items:

Chain, sprockets, tires (age and tread depth), brake pads, brake fluid (if it's dark, it needs to be changed). Ask then the last valve adjustment was done, if it's coming up soon, use that.

And don't forget you can always offer less just because.

Spiffness posted:

:downsrim:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Jabs posted:

Where?

Seriously, dude?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Seriously, dude?

To be fair to the guy I wasn't sure if it was just a joke or not too. Also seems like I lost the bike to some dad buying his 16 year old daughter a motorcycle, paid 1900 for it. Welp.

mewse
May 2, 2006

To be fair to the guy I wasn't sure if it was just a joke or not too. Also seems like I lost the bike to some dad buying his 16 year old daughter a motorcycle, paid 1900 for it. Welp.

As someone has pointed out before, what sort of moron would pay ABOVE the asking price? You either spoke to a dishonest or extremely lucky person.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

mewse posted:

As someone has pointed out before, what sort of moron would pay ABOVE the asking price? You either spoke to a dishonest or extremely lucky person.

After I spoke to the guy I got a pretty hustler/carnie kinda vibe from him. He probably played up all the interest in the bike or something, or maybe the girl just really liked pink flames.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

UserNotFound posted:

I have a friend in the Navy who's going to be station in Japan fairly soon, and I'm trying to convince him to sell me his current bike (Monster 750) and buy something in Japan that he'd get to bring back to the states that we couldn't otherwise get here. I'm thinking the new CB1100, what else can you buy in Japan you can't get in the states?

Some people seem to manage to bring bikes and cars in - no idea how.

What he should bring back is a 400cc or 250 2T sportsbike for use as a trackbike. Then you don't have to care about registering it. Late-model NSR250 with the swipe-card ignition is pretty cool. Or classic Pepsi RGV250. Or NC35. They will be cheap, cheap, cheap as they're (i) old and (ii) out of fashion.

Based on my last visit to Japan, and while fashions do change at the drop of a hat there, most Japanese ride mini or maxi scooters. The sportbike/performance street bike market is basically US/UK dominated, followed by various bits of Europe. Even though IIRC they've abolished or made simpler the restrictive staged licensing system, you will see lots of JDM performance cars but very few fast or fast-ish bikes. So if you're after something JDM but bike-shaped, you'll probably end up with something that looks like a Pacific Coast but with all the stickers in Japanese. I'd keep the M750 personally.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/1657554983.html

Whats everyone think aboot this? It seems like a price I would like, what questions should I ask him. He doesn't go into detail about the bike and the pictures are not revealing. This kind of worries me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/1657554983.html

Whats everyone think aboot this? It seems like a price I would like, what questions should I ask him. He doesn't go into detail about the bike and the pictures are not revealing. This kind of worries me.

Just cover the usual. I will occasionally make a craigslist ad like that when I get tired of dealing with people asking questions that are answered in the loving ad they didn't read. AFAIK, there's no wee strom specific issues to address.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
There is a local guy who is trying to unload a chopper project that is only halfway done. He wants way to much money for a hacked apart CB750.

$4000
http://owensound.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-Bobber-Project-s-4000-W0QQAdIdZ186697348

$3500
http://owensound.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-Classic-Honda-Bobber-W0QQAdIdZ189395050

$3000
http://owensound.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-1977-Honda-Cafer-Racer-Project-W0QQAdIdZ191435180

At this rate it will be free in a few months.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
That's uncanny. A local guy is selling a CB750 chopper unfinished as well. Actually, he's asking for some money now and the rest when he finishes it. This guy also wants way too much money.

http://chambana.craigslist.org/mcy/1658442988.html

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xr250r%2083.htm

I'm thinking of buying a 1983 model of this bike for my first two wheeler, it'd be used mostly for street so different tires would probably go on, but how realistic would this be around town?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

rubbersoul posted:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_xr250r%2083.htm

I'm thinking of buying a 1983 model of this bike for my first two wheeler, it'd be used mostly for street so different tires would probably go on, but how realistic would this be around town?

That depends, does it have a plate?

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

Zool posted:

That depends, does it have a plate?

Not currently, but is wired for signals etc. also how big of a deal is not having a plate?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

rubbersoul posted:

Not currently, but is wired for signals etc. also how big of a deal is not having a plate?
Depends on how much you've budgeted for "getting tickets for riding a bike that's not plated for street use".

But really, it's as big a deal as however hard it is to get it plated where you live.
California? Won't happen.
Colorado? There can be some hoops to jump through, but it's doable.
etc.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

rubbersoul posted:

That depends on where you live, south Philly, no big deal. Washington state, $500 ticket every time a cop sees you.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

Zool posted:

That depends on where you live, south Philly, no big deal. Washington state, $500 ticket every time a cop sees you.

Missouri thankfully, so a farm state although the cops will be bored over summer as it is a college town. I'm also curious if using dirt knobbys on pavement is suicide and if I'll be constantly shifting like a mad man with the short off road ratios.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

rubbersoul posted:

Missouri thankfully, so a farm state although the cops will be bored over summer as it is a college town. I'm also curious if using dirt knobbys on pavement is suicide and if I'll be constantly shifting like a mad man with the short off road ratios.

I'd check into what it's gonna take to get it street plated. Missouri's probably pretty easy on that.

Using knobbies on pavement isn't the end of the world, but I'd recommend some decent "dual sport/street" tires if you're going to be doing almost all street riding, as they'll vibrate less and wear better, plus provide more confidence when you've got the bike leaned over. Knobbies can be a little...disconcerting.

And yes, you'll be doing a bit of shifting. You can change the final drive ratio with sprockets, though, so with a little fine tuning you should be able to get it set up decently, as long as you understand that you're talking about a nearly 30 year old, air cooled single, and freeway will be endured, not enjoyable or something you want to do.

Rad Wood
Dec 26, 2005
Segata Sanshiro!
Okay, I've been riding for a little while now on a KZ1000 Police Special. Tank is too small so I'm planning on getting a KLR 650 for long-distance stuff, camping, light adventuring maybe, not sure. I'm not planning on any super crazy offroad stuff--unimproved to improved dirt road. Hairiest stuff I'll encounter might be rutted dirt roads from SUVs on the way to camp sites for the time being. Is this the kind of terrain that I'm bound to drop my bike sooner than later and destroy it's beautiful prettiness? I'm a tall monster of a man and can flat-foot the KLR, for what it's worth.

My options are new 2009 that I would love to death for a bit under $5000 otd that I'd finance or a low mileage 1999 for about $1700 that I'd buy.

2009:
It's new and beautiful, no one else has had the chance to destroy it, warranty (which I'll probably end up voiding anyway), the new cluster is so much nicer than the old one! NEW!

1999:
Cheap, low miles, I already hate the paint so it's cool if I drop it (and it has bonus pre-scratched tank), I have a better chance of getting the price down, cheaper to insure. If I decide to get crazier offroad down the line the crap-paint points get doubled, so it's more future-proof.

It looks like the '99 is the better choice, but I sat on the '09 and oh god...and NEW!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd buy the older one. 3k can buy you a lot of farkles. And the new ones have a habit of blowing up plastics when you drop them.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I'm with Z3n, older is better. Also, I believe the 2008+ had some documented top-end oiling issues, as well as all of those extra plastics to break.

Just make sure the 1999 has had the doohickey done, and spend the rest of the money on farkles. Maybe a second set of sumo wheels with street tires for daily commuting/riding, and then keep the stock big rims with knobbier stuff on them for when you're feeling adventurous.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thirding all of this. The 2nd gen rad covers are a hard plastic that is much more likely to grenade in a drop, unless you tip it over onto soft grass or something. (I'm speaking from experience here.) The rear side covers are softer, for some reason. And there's an issue with the piston rings, at the very least in the early-release bikes sold in 07 through to the 08's proper, so they can turn into oil-chewers.

If the '99 hasn't had the doohickey done, it's not the end of the world. Actually it's a fairly simple fix, other than requiring a special wrench.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
old KLRs>>>>>>>>>New KLRs

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Aesthetics alone old KLR's are better imo. They look really badass with their matte paint jobs with minimal plastic. Well except the oddball pink ones. The new ones don't look anywhere near as tough.

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 27, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So i've been riding for nearly 6 months now and have 2 bikes! I love them both dearly
although lately i've been thinking about what my next bike would be. Maybe in a year or so i'll start to seriously consider something, i'll also have more money.

Unfortunately due to my less than stellar driving record, a 600cc or 1000cc supersports will ridiculous for me to insure so i'll have to cross those out for at least 2-3 years. I used to want a cruiser as a 2nd bike but after reading about their weight, usually crappy braking properties, and their relative lack of performance, i'm kind of ruling those out too.

How are 98+ Honda VFRs? They sound like really solid and reliable bikes and everyone that has one seems to love it. I've actually grown quite fond of the F4i, but used prices on them seem kinda high and a lot of them seem to have been lowslided at last once in their lives, the ones that haven't seem aburdly high in price.

Failing those options I think i'll lean towards an FZ6. I mostly commute anyways, I don't think i'l ever see a track day on my schedule, just the occasionally twisty road.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Aesthetics alone old KLR's are better imo. They look really badass with their matte paint jobs with minimal plastic. Well except the oddball pink ones. The new ones don't look anywhere near as tough.

Barbie KLRs are actually the best KLRs

AR5
Mar 22, 2006
Still looking around for first bike, as a few deals I thought I had nailed fell through. I don't know enough about GS500's to tell if this mods are actually a good thing or a blatant "stay the gently caress away". But the orange is so pretty...
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/1661225597.html

Any advice?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AR5 posted:

Still looking around for first bike, as a few deals I thought I had nailed fell through. I don't know enough about GS500's to tell if this mods are actually a good thing or a blatant "stay the gently caress away". But the orange is so pretty...
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/1661225597.html

Any advice?

Mods are fine, the GS500 is pretty much bullet proof but the valves do need attention regularly (Aprox. every 4000 miles). They're screw type adjusters, so it's easy to do, and the engines are hardy enough that they'll run and idle (although rough) with burned valves. I'd ask him how long he's had it and how often he's checked the valves...if the answer is good, then I'd go for it. It's a fair price, mods are actually worthwhile, I'd look into it.

Cry For More Fish
Mar 21, 2003

Then I lost to a guy and it changed my life. I swore I would never lose to a guy in a wheelchair again
This is a repeat of my post in the general questions thread, but figured I might get a little more feedback here. Sorry for the redundancy.

After my recent trip to Cambodia, I was inspired to go on a tour through Southeast Asia after I finish my graduate program. Since their roads are really terrible out there, I figure I may as well learn to ride something a little more useful than the Honda Elite 80 I'm currently riding. The goal is to be able to handle these sorts of riding conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk5pzgmuGyI

I've been looking for a dual sport for a week or so, and I'm in no big hurry and just waiting for something cheap and useful to come along. Since I'm a poor grad student, I'm trying to stick to 2 grand at the max. I've been looking into the DR350, DRZ400, KLR650, TTR250, and DR250 in rough order of decreasing preference. I'm sure there are lots of other bikes that would make sense but my limited googling has led me to these specific choices and the concomitant craigslist bookmarks.

I'm not planning on doing highway riding, but rather learning how to ride an actual manual transmission bike and then eventually moving towards figuring out how to ride on rough/crappy roads over the next year or so. I'm a small dude, so I'm leaning more towards the DR350 end of things than the huge KLR650. Being able to stick someone on the back for a 10 mile-ish trip is a plus, but not a requirement by any means.

Is my $2000 price point reasonable? Any other bikes I should add to my list of bookmarked craigslist searches?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cry For More Fish posted:

This is a repeat of my post in the general questions thread, but figured I might get a little more feedback here. Sorry for the redundancy.

After my recent trip to Cambodia, I was inspired to go on a tour through Southeast Asia after I finish my graduate program. Since their roads are really terrible out there, I figure I may as well learn to ride something a little more useful than the Honda Elite 80 I'm currently riding. The goal is to be able to handle these sorts of riding conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk5pzgmuGyI

I've been looking for a dual sport for a week or so, and I'm in no big hurry and just waiting for something cheap and useful to come along. Since I'm a poor grad student, I'm trying to stick to 2 grand at the max. I've been looking into the DR350, DRZ400, KLR650, TTR250, and DR250 in rough order of decreasing preference. I'm sure there are lots of other bikes that would make sense but my limited googling has led me to these specific choices and the concomitant craigslist bookmarks.

I'm not planning on doing highway riding, but rather learning how to ride an actual manual transmission bike and then eventually moving towards figuring out how to ride on rough/crappy roads over the next year or so. I'm a small dude, so I'm leaning more towards the DR350 end of things than the huge KLR650. Being able to stick someone on the back for a 10 mile-ish trip is a plus, but not a requirement by any means.

Is my $2000 price point reasonable? Any other bikes I should add to my list of bookmarked craigslist searches?

For what it's worth, I did a two month trip in Vietnam and Laos and learned how to ride a real manual transmission bike when I bought it (had a fair amount of experience with those 4-speed 125cc step-throughs that are so popular there, but nothing with a clutch). It's a lot easier to pick up than learning how to drive a manual-transmission car, in my experience.

You could also be looking at Honda XR's, the XR250 is the most common "big bike" you'll find in Southeast Asia.

Don't forget to factor riding equipment into your budget. If you're travelling to Southeast Asia, you'll want to BYO jacket/pants/boots/gloves/etc anyways as the selection there is pretty poor. Helmet is a possible exception because full-face helmets aren't quite as hard to find, and they're not easy to pack well. If you can take it as a carry-on, more power to you though.

Cry For More Fish
Mar 21, 2003

Then I lost to a guy and it changed my life. I swore I would never lose to a guy in a wheelchair again

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You could also be looking at Honda XR's, the XR250 is the most common "big bike" you'll find in Southeast Asia.

Is this bike at all useful? I'm a little way of something 16 years old, but maybe it would be good for getting my repair aptitude up:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1671117054.html

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Is this bike at all useful? I'm a little way of something 16 years old, but maybe it would be good for getting my repair aptitude up:

For what you need, it'll do you fine. It'll also leave you $1K of your budget to fix it up. Seems alright to me.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For what it's worth, I did a two month trip in Vietnam and Laos and learned how to ride a real manual transmission bike when I bought it (had a fair amount of experience with those 4-speed 125cc step-throughs that are so popular there, but nothing with a clutch). It's a lot easier to pick up than learning how to drive a manual-transmission car, in my experience.

Don't forget to factor riding equipment into your budget. If you're travelling to Southeast Asia, you'll want to BYO jacket/pants/boots/gloves/etc anyways as the selection there is pretty poor. Helmet is a possible exception because full-face helmets aren't quite as hard to find, and they're not easy to pack well. If you can take it as a carry-on, more power to you though.

Out of those I'd recommend the DR350, dead simple engine, aircooled and it has a 6 speed

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems fair and like a good choice...but you need to make sure it's street legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

Seems fair and like a good choice...but you need to make sure it's street legal.

Yeah... "trail bike" almost always means "not streetable/no title" in my experience :smith: