Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

orthod0ks posted:

Is it that simple? I've been reading things about relays and accessory power, and frankly I'm out of my element as it is attempting my own maintenance. Digging into the electrical system has me freaked out a bit.

Yeah, it's really simple. If you're thinking about eventually wiring up multiple things, check this out:

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

It also does a good job of explaining how you'd put in a relay. Read it over, and any questions you have after that, ask away :)

Bad Munki posted:

Welp, after a couple hours on the 10A charger, I still get nothing at all, so I guess the battery's definitely toast. Oh well, guess I'll pick one up tomorrow.

Anything in particular I need to look for in a battery?

I like buying decent batteries, if you have a battery tender there's no reason they shouldn't last years. Basically what happens is you find the correct battery by the series of letters and numbers, and then you dump the acid in, let it sit for a bit, seal it, and slap it on a charger for awhile. Install and ride :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Ola posted:

Service bulletins get covered, no questions asked, by the factory no matter how old the vehicle is.

Depends on the manufacturer and maybe the location. GM will not cover TSB's, most manufacturers here release TSB's as a detailed fix for specific problems but they do not become an extended warranty. That problem with the sprocket may be covered as a safety concern, having a sprocket come off and jam up your bike at speed would seriously compromise your safety.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Z3n posted:

I like buying decent batteries, if you have a battery tender there's no reason they shouldn't last years. Basically what happens is you find the correct battery by the series of letters and numbers, and then you dump the acid in, let it sit for a bit, seal it, and slap it on a charger for awhile. Install and ride :)

What is the threshold of down-time for plugging in the tender? In order to promote optimal battery life, that is. I assume plugging it in every night would be pointless, but if it's going to be sitting there for 6 months, it should be connected. So what's the cutoff? 1 week? 2 weeks? A month?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bad Munki posted:

What is the threshold of down-time for plugging in the tender? In order to promote optimal battery life, that is. I assume plugging it in every night would be pointless, but if it's going to be sitting there for 6 months, it should be connected. So what's the cutoff? 1 week? 2 weeks? A month?

Well, keep in mind that I have no idea about these things because we have year round riding, but...I'd plug it in if the bike was sitting more than 2 days. That's probably overkill, but I really hate replacing batteries.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Spent a few hours working on the 50 today and it is still running like poo poo. Hard to start because the clutch is slipping so I need to adjust that and get the heavy duty springs. Once it start it usually runs good once warmed up for 5-10 minutes then will start to bog or misfire and will die, sometimes if I notice it quick enough I can get it in neutral and play with the gas to keep it running. Also after this happens it doesn't like to start for a couple minutes.

Bike is a crf50 with a BBR 88cc big bore kit, appears to be stock carb (too small) and a crappy chinese pipe on it. Today I found that it seems to run better with the needle set to full rich but it still has issues and won't run reliably. I'm going to try to get my hands on a crf70 carb tomorrow to see if that helps. Otherwise will tear down the carb again tomorrow morning and clean it again. Have a race tomorrow afternoon that I would like to compete in. Other than cleaning the carbs again any ideas for getting this thing to run like it is supposed to?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Z3n posted:

Well, keep in mind that I have no idea about these things because we have year round riding, but...I'd plug it in if the bike was sitting more than 2 days. That's probably overkill, but I really hate replacing batteries.

Definitely overkill I'd say, at least perhaps until the battery is getting some age on it - I say this because after recently having a battery go dead to the point where it wouldn't accept charge anymore, I bought a new battery and a CTEK trickle charger to ensure that I'll never again kill a battery due to neglect if I can't ride for a period of time. After maybe 3 weeks without having a chance to ride, I plugged the charger in and it determined the battery required no charging.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Are there any upsides/downsides to changing the rear sprocket as opposed to the front? I'm going to play around with the gearing on the 250 and I want a final drive ratio of .333, which is 15F/45R or 14F/42R. Stock gearing is 14F/45R. I'd much rather change the rear sprocket as opposed to messing around with the front. Rear sprockets are obviously more expensive but I don't particularly care about that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, the rear sprocket up 3 teeth may or may not fit your chain. How far on the adjuster are you?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
ninja250.org says the stock chain should work, but then again most the stuff there is geared towards old-gens. Dunno if anything changed in that regard between the years. I don't have the bike in front of me at the moment but I recall it being about halfway. I think.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

ninja250.org says the stock chain should work, but then again most the stuff there is geared towards old-gens. Dunno if anything changed in that regard between the years. I don't have the bike in front of me at the moment but I recall it being about halfway. I think.

I'd check the number of links of each chain, stock...that should tell you. Either way, I'd prefer to change the front sprocket. Doesn't involve removing the rear wheel, less adjustment needed, etc.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Welp, after a couple hours on the 10A charger, I still get nothing at all, so I guess the battery's definitely toast. Oh well, guess I'll pick one up tomorrow.

Anything in particular I need to look for in a battery?

Pretty much just match up one that fits. When you look them up they are all essentially the same except for the size and which post is pos and neg. You can often times swap in a battery that is not the exact one but if you hit walmart or any autoparts store they should have a book or be able to look it up and get you an oem match.

For a new battery there should be instructions but all you have to do is open the caps, pour in the acid and then charge it for a few hours and then bolt it in. I have skipped the charging step with no ill effects in the past but if you have the time I would wait to make sure the battery gets charged correctly to get the most longevity out of it.

I also should clarify the ~3 year life I get is in IL leaving the bike dormant for 3-4 months in the winter in unheated storage every year. I have a harbor freight $5 tender but I have yet to use it.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 27, 2010

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pubic Lair posted:

I also should clarify the ~3 year life I get is in IL leaving the bike dormant for 3-4 months in the winter in unheated storage every year. I have a harbor freight $5 tender but I have yet to use it.

Well, I'm in Iowa, so close enough. It sits in my garage which is attached to the house, but that only keeps it maybe 5 degrees warmer than outside.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Gnomad posted:

Depends on the manufacturer and maybe the location. GM will not cover TSB's, most manufacturers here release TSB's as a detailed fix for specific problems but they do not become an extended warranty. That problem with the sprocket may be covered as a safety concern, having a sprocket come off and jam up your bike at speed would seriously compromise your safety.

Yeah, I figure then it would rise to the level of a recall which must be covered by the manufacturer regardless of warranty status. Either way I'm just glad it's being fixed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One more thing: I've never dealt with a dry battery before. Is that the norm with bikes? Does the acid or electrolytes or whatever come with it, or will I likely need to get that separate?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

One more thing: I've never dealt with a dry battery before. Is that the norm with bikes? Does the acid or electrolytes or whatever come with it, or will I likely need to get that separate?

All bike batteries come dry. There is a bottle in the box with enough acid to fill it and maybe a little extra. On the side of the battery there is markings for how high to fill the cells. I usually fill each cell to 1/2 and then wait a minute or 2 and then put a little in each cell until they are all up to the line. Also it will start bubbling when you put in the acid which is normal but makes it a bit harder to get the levels right. Make sure you run the drain hose that comes with the new battery in case when you charge it the acid gets too high and leaks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All righty, that's more or less what I expected. I've topped off a battery before, but never filled one from scratch.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bad Munki posted:

Generally, I trickle charge it overnight every month or so of sitting. Seems to work well for me.

Bad Munki posted:

All righty, that's more or less what I expected. I've topped off a battery before, but never filled one from scratch.

If you have a BatteriesPlus nearby, call them and let them know what you want, and they'll do all that for you before you pick it up.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Can someone please tell me what the gently caress I'm doing. My carb is in pieces outside.

Background: bike wouldn't idle, but ran fine under throttle. I took the carb out, cleaned it, and now it will idle but dies when I give it throttle. I'm relatively sure it isn't a vacuum issue. I was told I need to clean the pilot jet.

Can someone point out what all these holes are? I stripped the gently caress out of the right one trying to remove it, assuming it actually can be removed. It had a flathead style notch in it. I've tried sticking wire through all of them though I don't really know what that's supposed to accomplish. The only time I got it through to another hole was when I put it in the center hole and it goes out into the main passageway of the carb.

edit: i absolutely 100% cannot get the pilot screw out and it's stripped to the point of no return. time to buy a new carb?

update: put it back together for the hell of it and it's actually moving under its own power, but it's rough as hell near idle and will sometimes die. The exhaust is having lots of small backfires which I guess means it's either got too much fuel or not enough air now.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 27, 2010

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Doctor Zero posted:

Generally, I trickle charge it overnight every month or so of sitting. Seems to work well for me.
If you have a BatteriesPlus nearby, call them and let them know what you want, and they'll do all that for you before you pick it up.

Does it make a difference that the battery in my bike is a sealed one? My old bike had a battery with the plugs I could remove in order to top it off, which is what I'm expecting to encounter, but this one is locked up tight as can be.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bad Munki posted:

Does it make a difference that the battery in my bike is a sealed one? My old bike had a battery with the plugs I could remove in order to top it off, which is what I'm expecting to encounter, but this one is locked up tight as can be.

If its sealed, then you don't have to do anything to it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Except that it's dead as poo poo, so I need to replace it. ;)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a Ninja 250, but got questions about it. Go to the 250 thread, I'd like some help :)

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I'm in the middle of hooking up the grip heaters, and we tapped into the horn wire, but got nothing. Is it a problem that those wires only get power when you're actually hitting the horn button?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

You'd need to tap into the wire before the switch. After the switch will only get power when you push the button.
Also, I've seen horn circuits where they are switch to ground, which means the horn always has power and you are just giving ground to complete the circuit. If this is the case you won't be able to get the grips to work using that wire.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Bugdrvr posted:

You'd need to tap into the wire before the switch. After the switch will only get power when you push the button.
Also, I've seen horn circuits where they are switch to ground, which means the horn always has power and you are just giving ground to complete the circuit. If this is the case you won't be able to get the grips to work using that wire.

We determined that this was the issue (switch just grounds, completing the circuit), but we were able to get it to work, so maybe our conclusion was wrong. I have some pictures to post to help the next poor sap.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Except that it's dead as poo poo, so I need to replace it. ;)

I would think it's still a conventional acid battery that's just sealed to prevent filling it by the consumer or leaks.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Anyone know the latest on California's plan to smog-check motorcycles? Google turns up nothing more recent than June of last year. Everything I could read from then stated that smog checks were being dropped, but people in the comments for those articles stated that smog checks were still in, and the bill was awaiting approval from the House.

Anyone know what's going on?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Darnit...we found my battery just fine at wal mart, it's a 12bs. Unfortunately for my wife, wal-mart's brand of choice (everstart) doesn't make a battery for her bike. Should be a 12b4, and we even looked in the book and there was a big "NA" next to her bike. So, I guess she'll have to wait until monday so we can try maybe napa? I'm sure someone carries a replacement.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Bad Munki posted:

Darnit...we found my battery just fine at wal mart, it's a 12bs. Unfortunately for my wife, wal-mart's brand of choice (everstart) doesn't make a battery for her bike. Should be a 12b4, and we even looked in the book and there was a big "NA" next to her bike. So, I guess she'll have to wait until monday so we can try maybe napa? I'm sure someone carries a replacement.

Any 12 volt battery with sufficient amp-hours that will fit in the battery compartment should be fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Watommi posted:

Anyone know the latest on California's plan to smog-check motorcycles? Google turns up nothing more recent than June of last year. Everything I could read from then stated that smog checks were being dropped, but people in the comments for those articles stated that smog checks were still in, and the bill was awaiting approval from the House.

Anyone know what's going on?

It got halted and tossed off to committee, last I checked, lingering in bureaucratic hell until someone decides to revive it.

hayden. posted:

Can someone please tell me what the gently caress I'm doing. My carb is in pieces outside.

Background: bike wouldn't idle, but ran fine under throttle. I took the carb out, cleaned it, and now it will idle but dies when I give it throttle. I'm relatively sure it isn't a vacuum issue. I was told I need to clean the pilot jet.

Can someone point out what all these holes are? I stripped the gently caress out of the right one trying to remove it, assuming it actually can be removed. It had a flathead style notch in it. I've tried sticking wire through all of them though I don't really know what that's supposed to accomplish. The only time I got it through to another hole was when I put it in the center hole and it goes out into the main passageway of the carb.

edit: i absolutely 100% cannot get the pilot screw out and it's stripped to the point of no return. time to buy a new carb?

update: put it back together for the hell of it and it's actually moving under its own power, but it's rough as hell near idle and will sometimes die. The exhaust is having lots of small backfires which I guess means it's either got too much fuel or not enough air now.

The one you stripped is the pilot jet, which is probably still blocked, and is causing all your issues. I'd just buy another carb on ebay. You probably got it mostly cleaned out, but not entirely, thusly the backfires (indicating a lean condition). You could do a carb replacement, but another thing that I would try is to seafoam the gas and then ride the bike like you stole it, a lot of throttle to get gas pumping through there and hopefully clean out the remainder of the poo poo in the pilot.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks for the help as always Zen. I'm just gonna try to sell it as it, and if that doesn't work apparently there's a tool called an easy-out.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

If there is a Batteries Plus near you, check with them. They've had every battery I ever needed. Prices are competitive.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

orthod0ks posted:

I'm in the middle of hooking up the grip heaters, and we tapped into the horn wire, but got nothing. Is it a problem that those wires only get power when you're actually hitting the horn button?

I like to wire my grip heaters right off the alternator output. You get full power off the alternator and it only powers up while running. It won't run down your battery and it won't put an extra load on your existing R/R.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

Thanks for the help as always Zen. I'm just gonna try to sell it as it, and if that doesn't work apparently there's a tool called an easy-out.

Yeah, you could probably get it out with an ez out, but honestly, I'd just buy a new carb.

Seriously though, try a full tank of fresh gas with the appropriate amount of seafoam in it, I've seen it work before, especially with minorly clogged stuff or things that are sort of broken loose. And you get to ride it like you stole it, which is always fun. :)

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

sectoidman posted:

Any 12 volt battery with sufficient amp-hours that will fit in the battery compartment should be fine.

You also need to check the terminals to make sure pos and neg are on the same sides or your cables have to have enough extra lenght to switch them.

My local napas don't carry moto batteries but my autozone does. YMMV

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hayden. posted:

loving up the threads is a good enough reason to buy a new one, but to me this...

quote:

bike wouldn't idle, but ran fine under throttle. I took the carb out, cleaned it, and now it will idle but dies when I give it throttle.

...sounds like you put it back together incorrectly. If your bike has only one carb it won't be synchronization, but given the fact that you've moved the problem, something in your process has moved it.

quote:

I've tried sticking wire through all of them though I don't really know what that's supposed to accomplish.
The goal is to remove varnish, a deposit from evaporating gas, and crud that gathers wherever gas sits and flows. There will be varnish everywhere in the circuit but it has the biggest effect in the pilot jet where the passage is narrow and the effect is drastically changing your fuel/air mixture when the engine is fed by said pilot circuit.

All those holes that don't go anywhere are circuits internal to the carb, there's a maze of channels which helps mixing fuel and air correctly at any given throttle opening.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Found a good carb from a guy that cleaned the heck out of it for $70, which seems like a good deal.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

orthod0ks posted:

We determined that this was the issue (switch just grounds, completing the circuit), but we were able to get it to work, so maybe our conclusion was wrong. I have some pictures to post to help the next poor sap.

The idea of having to blare the horn in order to get your grip heaters to work is far too funny.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

n8r posted:

The idea of having to blare the horn in order to get your grip heaters to work is far too funny.

"Outta my way, it's cold!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Honda is officially evil at parts

COWL SET, R. (TYPE1)
64400-MFJ-A30ZB

COWL SET, R. (TYPE4)
64400-MFJ-D00ZF

COWL SET, R. (TYPE1)
64400-MFJ-D10ZK

COWL SET, R. (TYPE2)
64400-MFJ-D10ZL

I have no idea which one of these is the correct color for my bike, the part number has nothing from the color code in it, and the part number listed on the piece isn't a real part number

:(