Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Next chapter: Ippo reflects on his career as a boxer while continuing to act as a sandbag for Woli. Following chapters are ostensibly flashbacks, but in reality the entire series runs again from the beginning. When issue 1779 is released in 15 years or so, Woli randomly starts levitating while making GBS threads on Ippo's face. Aoki then says something dumb and the chapter ends with the entire stadium laughing at him derisively.

THE END.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Forest Fuckery posted:

Next chapter:

THE END

Yo I'd be down with this.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Next chapter Ippo realises his entire life is but a dream and he's really just the slab of beef that Rocky has been practising on all this time. Rocky smashed the beef so hard it got brain damage and thought it was a boxer! Now that's a real champion!

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Hahahaha is this fight STILL going on? Dear lord. What does it feel like to be a clone of Rumiko Takahashi, Mori? Is it satisfying?

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Darke GBF posted:

Hahahaha is this fight STILL going on? Dear lord. What does it feel like to be a clone of Rumiko Takahashi, Mori? Is it satisfying?

I was about to say that this isn't too bad compared to some other series.

Then I tried to think of some...

Bleach fights don't last long. They might lose the spotlight and continue later, and never get concluded for years, but in chapter length they're 2-4 chapters max.

One piece? Heh~

Naruto too, 5 chapters? 6? How long was the orochimaru kyuubi fight?

Kenichi too wraps its poo poo in a maximum of 5 chapters per fight lately, even for the big-boss fights.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Swamp Zero posted:

I was about to say that this isn't too bad compared to some other series.

Then I tried to think of some...

I want to say the last Ranma 1/2 fight was really long, but it's been a while since I read it and I suspect it might have just gone on for a long time for a Ranma fight.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Mystic Mongol posted:

I want to say the last Ranma 1/2 fight was really long, but it's been a while since I read it and I suspect it might have just gone on for a long time for a Ranma fight.

I remember skipping entire volumes of ranma fighting some sort of birdman empire but it's probably my memory playing tricks on me

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Swamp Zero posted:

I remember skipping entire volumes of ranma fighting some sort of birdman empire but it's probably my memory playing tricks on me

That was indeed the end boss! He was a phoenix who was immortal while he was in some sort of hot water bath? Also he wanted to marry Akane because everyone in Ranma wants to marry Akane.

Someone must know the details.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Saffron was the guys name.

He needed to bathe in some special waters for his Phoenix rebirth.
He fought with Ranma for some reason, Akana accidently did something that turned her into a doll.
Only way to turn her back is for her to bathe in the same water as the Saffron needs.

Yadda, yadda, everyone was Kung-fu Fighting. Akane as a doll gets between Ranma and Saffron during the final fight, creates an opening, but she 'dies' and Ranma wins the fight.
Final chapter is Ranma and Akane running off to school together, but they don't fight anymore. Happy end for everyone.

Saffron didn't want to marry Akane, she was just there. I think he wanted to conquer the world with his Phoenix army or some crap.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Phoenix Clan kidnapped her because they needed to create a magical clone. Then she tried to shield Ranma from one of Saffron's attacks, and it evaporated all the water in her body. Which, as we all know, causes you to transform into a tiny doll.

Besides, that fight was great and it lasted a volume, max. Takahashi gets a lot of crap for not knowing how to end a series, but the individual fights in Ranma tend to be brisk and dynamic. I feel like we've read the same three chapters of Ippo four or five times now.

Not even Ippo can match the pace of Gantz, however. An entire chapter spent on one punch (yet still less repetitive). How many chapters did DBZ spend on fighting Frieza?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rangpur posted:

How many chapters did DBZ spend on fighting Frieza?

A lot less than you would think. The manga was actually pretty well paced.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryPUJyQf6g

this is the ippo fight, up until ~1:00

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ch 887 is up and translated :v:

Edit: Getting a couple of indicators about Woli's ankle. One being that he botched the landing. Next being that he claims he was hit again with the stool. Rather odd.

Geop fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 17, 2010

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Maybe Woli should stop jumping off poo poo like he is a monkey and his ankle wouldn't be all hosed up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's making it so obvious Woli's ankle is going to go bad at a critical moment and Ippo will one-punch him that I hope it's all a fake out and Ippo loses.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So it's really looking like Woli might lose due to injuring/tiring himself out? Excellent, then Ippo's parallel with the boxing career of Homer Simpson shall be complete.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 18, 2010

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So it's really looking like Woli might lose due to injuring/tiring himself out? Excellent, then Ippo's parallel with the boxing career of Homer Simpson shall be complete.

So when Ippo is fighting Martinez and getting absolutely killed, Kamogawa will fly into the ring and carry him to safety?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Remember kids, Ippo will win this fight because he trained so hard to be a human punching bag because Woli will slip and twist his ankle as he didn't prepare for the fight.

Training wins over genius again :smug:

Only thing I'm concerned about is that they're going to say that Ippo isn't ready for the World Stage and he goes back to defending his title for another jillion fights.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Only thing I'm concerned about is that they're going to say that Ippo isn't ready for the World Stage and he goes back to defending his title for another jillion fights.
Or he has an awesome training montage, bangs Kumi's brains out, and then begins ripping off his opponents' heads and devouring their livers.

Either or. :shobon:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Geop posted:

Or he has an awesome training montage, bangs Kumi's brains out, and then begins ripping off his opponents' heads and devouring their livers.

Either or. :shobon:

Then the series climaxes in a 2v2 fight involving Ippo and Takamura vs. some awesome dudes I can't think of, but are awesome and not lame cliches or racial stereotypes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Martinez and whoever the heavyweight champ is.

Although odds are the HW champ is going to be black and a horrible stereotype.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Chinaman7000 posted:

Then the series climaxes in a 2v2 fight involving Ippo and Takamura vs. some awesome dudes I can't think of, but are awesome and not lame cliches or racial stereotypes.

After the fight Ippo is conscripted to the army, after refusing to go because of his love of boxing and his FIGHTING SPIRIT. He is sent to jail for 5 years.

Then we get a chapter fade, and the manga starts up again with Ippo five years older ready to take on the World stage as an hardened prisoner with his new move, the Shiv.

Lets see them counter him now.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I still maintain that Ippo is obviously based on Kazuyuki Fujita. :colbert:

Soth fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 18, 2010

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

You know what'd make Martinez better? A group of Mariachis following him around in all points of the manga :buddy: EVEN IN THE RING.

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

Geop posted:

You know what'd make Martinez better? If his second was a cactus, wearing a poncho.

Fixed that for you :)

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Xali posted:

Maybe Mori could do both! And have Martinez eating a taco in one hand while fighting with the other. Eating while fighting is a MAN'S job!

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Xali posted:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

You know what'd make Martinez better? If he was actually Woli because Woli is more god than man and ignores the laws of physics.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Geop posted:

You know what'd make Martinez better? A group of Mariachis following him around in all points of the manga :buddy: EVEN IN THE RING.
Oh, I get it. Like a Mexican version of the Bad Horse Chorus.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
new raw is out...

Looks like Woli's ankle finally caught up to him, and Ippo tired Woli out one just ONE punch, looks like we will see the end of this fight soon enough...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GHOST IPPO WOOOooooOoOoOoOOOOooOOOooOOoOOOOOOoo

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Flying High posted:

new raw is out...

Looks like Woli's ankle finally caught up to him, and Ippo tired Woli out one just ONE punch, looks like we will see the end of this fight soon enough...
I laughed so hard at ghost-Ippo grabbing his ankle ='D And yeah, he's finally sweating, you'll notice. Seems Ippo is done being a punching bag at long last. Although, he said ONLY ONE MORE PUNCH LEFT =( and yet here he is throwing out bone-breakers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flying High posted:

new raw is out...

Seems like a worst case scenario in terms of this being absolute bullshit. I was kinda hoping Ippo would actually lose, because he really deserves to. I hope that they at least treat the win (if he wins) as an "empty" one.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Seems like a worst case scenario in terms of this being absolute bullshit. I was kinda hoping Ippo would actually lose, because he really deserves to. I hope that they at least treat the win (if he wins) as an "empty" one.
The rest of the world in the manga will see that a Japanese champion had trouble with a newbie. The main cast will go YOU BEAT A TENSEI... :smuggo:

I wanna see what Mori has in mind for the bullshit bodyblows he did earlier. Hope to god that isn't what's affecting him, but it seems most likely right now. Ugh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drat, I thought it was just a joke that he would win like Homer Simpson. Seriously? That's how a national champion who wants to take on the world wins?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh come on, it has been incredibly obvious this was going to happen ever since the "you hit my leg with the stool" thing started.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
The real question is how many untreated concussions Ippo will have at the end of his career.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

The real question is how many untreated concussions Ippo will have at the end of his career.

Ahem, samurai who compete in non-lethal unarmed sporting events for money don't get silly things like 'concussions'. Samurai.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Ytlaya posted:

Seriously. How in the hell do you go from agile as a monkey to an ankle so bad you can barely jump? Did Ippo's crew pay off Woli's stool dude to jab needles in his ankle? Did Woli break his ankle years back, and now the metal screws are coming loose? This is ridiculous, even if we all saw it coming from a mile away. Then again, maybe there's a completely plausible reason for everything that I just don't know because I can't read moonspeak. Guess I'll have to wait for a proper translation until I call complete BS on this entire fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

pnumoman posted:

Then again, maybe there's a completely plausible reason

Ghost Ippo.