Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Has anyone ever added a helmet lock to their bike? My aprilia doesn't have one and the seat lock on my RD doesn't work any longer. If someone could like to one that'd be great because when I looked around for one I didn't have much luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

Has anyone ever added a helmet lock to their bike? My aprilia doesn't have one and the seat lock on my RD doesn't work any longer. If someone could like to one that'd be great because when I looked around for one I didn't have much luck.

Your aprilia doesn't have the passenger seat loop for a helmet?

Cry For More Fish posted:

Thanks for the feedback. The basic idea is that I want to learn how to handle roads of roughly these conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk5pzgmuGyI

So bad, but not like forest trails. If it comes to choosing between being able to go 2 up and learning what I need to learn for this tour, the latter obviously wins since I can ferry someone else around with the old Elite 80 (which is a pretty hilarious thing to do in San Francisco. Maxing out at 8 mph on some streets around here happens occasionally)

Eh, you'd probably be ok on a DR350, definitely would be ok on a DRZ400. Any significant freeway riding would be sketchy, but you could do it, you'd just be winding the hell out of the engine. Nice thing about the DR350 is the 6 speed gearbox, DRZ400 only has a 5 speed but has a fair bit more power, being water cooled and with some additional displacement.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Anyone in SoCal go to Johnson & Wood in North Hollywood that often? I'm hoping they'll have the oddball y-shaped carb boot I need for the Virago 250 for less than the $70+ everywhere online wants.

I've gone from time to time. It's really hit or miss. Best to call them first before showing up. They have a grip of all sorts of different stuff there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

n8r posted:

This one came on my SV from the previous owner
http://www.bikebandit.com/motion-pro-helmet-lock

Seemed to work good enough but there was a loop under the seat so I never used it. I've got one you can have for $5 or whatever shipping is, PM me.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 30, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

hayden. posted:

A thousand times, this. For any bike under $1000, add about $1000 in parts before you can safely ride it.

I've fixed up a few old bikes and the the reality is that you'll always end up spending around 80% of what you would have spent for the same bike in good condition. My $300 bike ended up being around $1100 when all was said and done, which is about 80% of what a good condition KZ650 goes for.

The benefit however, is that my bike was in excellent mechanical condition, had a new paint job and was full of new parts when I finished while a ~$1500 KZ650 would still be a crapshoot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

8ender posted:

I've fixed up a few old bikes and the the reality is that you'll always end up spending around 80% of what you would have spent for the same bike in good condition. My $300 bike ended up being around $1100 when all was said and done, which is about 80% of what a good condition KZ650 goes for.

The benefit however, is that my bike was in excellent mechanical condition, had a new paint job and was full of new parts when I finished while a ~$1500 KZ650 would still be a crapshoot.

So how many hours do you think you had into that bike? ;)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Bugdrvr posted:

My 700 did the same thing until I dicked around with the idle screws a bit. It was mostly happy with them being at 2 turns out but started on two cylinders most of the time. I found which pipes were cold and turned the screws out a quarter turn each. This seemed to fix the problem. It only runs funny now for a few seconds if I let it set for weeks.

I tried this and it didn't make any difference. My bike takes about a minute of cranking (spread out over 10-second intervals) before it fires up, and will only fire up if throttle is held wide open and even then, only the leftmost cylinders will run for about 20 seconds before the other two kick in.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I tried this and it didn't make any difference. My bike takes about a minute of cranking (spread out over 10-second intervals) before it fires up, and will only fire up if throttle is held wide open and even then, only the leftmost cylinders will run for about 20 seconds before the other two kick in.

Are you using the choke? When was the last time you adjusted your valves?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I've seen issues like this caused by bad vacuum petcocks or clogged regular ones. They just aren't opening all the way so the engine is always starved, it will be extra evident when starting cause you will have to crank the hell out of it to get enough vacuum to flow fuel to start and then only the left 2 will run due to gravity feeding them fuel first.

If you have a prime setting see it it makes a difference but remember that Pri also means reserve on many bikes so you may have issues if you try to run it like that and use reserve to get to a gas station.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 31, 2010

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!
I've been thinking about putting some fuel injector cleaner in my bike after it's burned through all the old gas with stabilizer in it. Just wondering if this would hurt the bike in any way? It's a Yamaha 2009 FZ6 in case that makes any difference.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

hayden. posted:

A thousand times, this. For any bike under $1000, add about $1000 in parts before you can safely ride it.

I can reiterate this. Guy wanted $1000 for my bike. Talked him down to $800. Was able to ride it home, but when I got it to the shop, it cost me about $750. Granted, I could have saved myself some cash by doing the work myself, but I'm a wrenching newbie, though I'll be attempting to do this in the future.

There wasn't even a proper air filter in it... just what appeared to be aquarium filter replacement smashed in the box :confused:.

edit: Yes, I know a lot more about what to look at on a used bike now.

orthod0ks fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 31, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Z3n posted:

So how many hours do you think you had into that bike? ;)

Assuming I was being paid the same wages as a roadside mechanic working in rural Vietnam then I just about broke even

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M4gic posted:

I've been thinking about putting some fuel injector cleaner in my bike after it's burned through all the old gas with stabilizer in it. Just wondering if this would hurt the bike in any way? It's a Yamaha 2009 FZ6 in case that makes any difference.

Nah, it'll be fine...I'd probably seafoam it just because I'm partial to seafoam.

8ender posted:

Assuming I was being paid the same wages as a roadside mechanic working in rural Vietnam then I just about broke even

I stopped counting after my hourly rate dropped below 10c an hour. :sigh:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

hayden. posted:

I convinced a friend to buy a $650 ninja 500 from a towing yard. All we had to do was put brake fluid in the rear brake, and it worked fine. We did a full electrical rehal for $300 cause it had no working lights, but that's it.

Later she bought a ZX-6R for $2000 and spent over $700 fixing it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Pubic Lair posted:

I've seen issues like this caused by bad vacuum petcocks or clogged regular ones. They just aren't opening all the way so the engine is always starved, it will be extra evident when starting cause you will have to crank the hell out of it to get enough vacuum to flow fuel to start and then only the left 2 will run due to gravity feeding them fuel first.

If you have a prime setting see it it makes a difference but remember that Pri also means reserve on many bikes so you may have issues if you try to run it like that and use reserve to get to a gas station.

The one thing I don't get about a potential petcock issue is that the bike restarts fine when warm, even hours after it was turned off.

I have a petcock that doesn't use a vacuum hose. I know it flows plenty fine because I accidentally turned it on while it was not connected to the hose, and spilled poo poo everywhere. Whoops.

The original F2 petcock uses a vacuum line, but mine was replaced by an F3 one at some point, which is gravity feed, I guess. I had to block off the vacuum line to stop the engine from getting an intake leak.

quote:

Are you using the choke? When was the last time you adjusted your valves?

I'm using choke. It's even harder to start with no choke. Interestingly, my choke doesn't seem to work properly. At some settings it will make the bike die, at others, it will increase the revs as it should. I don't get it. Have no idea when valves had been done last.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 31, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

I stopped counting after my hourly rate dropped below 10c an hour. :sigh:

I'm not a very good capitalist, but I refuse to factor my time into that kind of thing. If I wasn't wrenching on my bike or car, I'd be doing something stupid like playing a video game anyway, so it's not like it's a burden on my life.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
What are the best solutions to clean in the interior of an oil can enough to be used for human consumption?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

What are the best solutions to clean in the interior of an oil can enough to be used for human consumption?

Bleach and hydrochloric acid.

No seriously, what? Why?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Bleach and hydrochloric acid.

No seriously, what? Why?

I wanna convert an empty bottle of 10w40 synthetic oil to a drink container.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Maybe if you call them they can mail you an empty one!

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I'm going to be changing the oil in my bike this weekend and I've never done something like this before! Anyway, it's a Ninja 250 and ninja250.org say that I MUST have a torque wrench. Is that true? From what I know they are pretty drat expensive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shaitan posted:

I'm going to be changing the oil in my bike this weekend and I've never done something like this before! Anyway, it's a Ninja 250 and ninja250.org say that I MUST have a torque wrench. Is that true? From what I know they are pretty drat expensive.

How sensitive a job is this? A cheapo harbor freight $20 should do the job well enough for this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

shaitan posted:

You can get away with using a beam type one to ballpark it. The torque spec is 14.5 ft/pounds though so you can't use the one that's linked. Beam type ones are cheap.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

shaitan posted:

You don't strictly-speaking need a torque wrench, as long as you can manage tightening the drain/filter bolts without over-torquing them. That said, a torque wrench is a handy thing to have, and the beam-deflection ones are both cheap and durable (ie they won't go out of calibration as easily as similarly-priced click-type ones).

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/KR-Tools-50810-Torque-Wrench/dp/B001G61588

or this craftsman, which you should be able to easily replace even if it breaks:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...921x00003a#desc

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

sectoidman posted:

You don't strictly-speaking need a torque wrench, as long as you can manage tightening the drain/filter bolts without over-torquing them. That said, a torque wrench is a handy thing to have, and the beam-deflection ones are both cheap and durable (ie they won't go out of calibration as easily as similarly-priced click-type ones).

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/KR-Tools-50810-Torque-Wrench/dp/B001G61588

or this craftsman, which you should be able to easily replace even if it breaks:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...921x00003a#desc

Thanks guys! I can swing $25, what I was seeing was more in the $80 range. I'll stop by Sears tomorrow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I rock an old craftsman beam torque wrench. Its good enough for when you need to ballpark things, if you need to get exact, it can be tough.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Last spring when I changed the oil, the old one was black, the new one was light for five entire minutes and promptly turned black as well the moment I turned on the bike.

It was rather reminiscent of a winter day.
That reminds me, the winter killed my loving thread. :argh:

Are car engine cleaning additives suitable for bikes? I don't want to pour some nice expensive mobil 1 stuff in and later find out that I have soap on my clutch. I mean the additives that you pour into the old oil and let run for five minutes before changing the oil (and gawking at all the crap that was in it).

Also, should I change the filter? I only ran it 1000km with the old-new oil so I don't want to. I get a strange feeling like I've asked this before but I need to post anyway so I could click the question mark.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 2, 2010

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

shaitan posted:

Thanks guys! I can swing $25, what I was seeing was more in the $80 range. I'll stop by Sears tomorrow.

Just sayin', if you have the cash to spare for a few hours/days, you can usually hit up a Pep-Boys/Autozone/Kragen etc. auto parts store and "rent" one for the cost of it as a deposit. I paid about $100, used the wrench to change my oil, brought it back and they refunded the entire amount. So, free.

If you literally have $25 in your name, then this may not work for you. :v:

e; This is actually something they do, I'm not saying "buy one and then shadily return it later." Just ask if they loan out torque wrenches.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Duuk posted:

Are car engine cleaning additives suitable for bikes? I don't want to pour some nice expensive mobil 1 stuff in and later find out that I have soap on my clutch. I mean the additives that you pour into the old oil and let run for five minutes before changing the oil (and gawking at all the crap that was in it).

I have been notified that car engine cleaning additives are not recommended for bikes. Just change your oil more often you lazy bum.

Or don't buy a bike from a lazy bum. Le sigh.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I got a new carb for my KLR650 installed today and it's finally running well.

I noticed the center tube of the triple tree, the one that actually connects to the frame and is the point where the handlebars turn, seems to be pretty loose. When I brake it jiggles around inside the hole of the frame. Any idea what's going on here? Is something hosed?

hayden. fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 3, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hayden. posted:

I got a new carb for my KLR650 installed today and it's finally running well.

I noticed the center tube of the triple tree, the one that actually connects to the frame and is the point where the handlebars turn, seems to be pretty loose. When I brake it jiggles around inside the hole of the frame. Any idea what's going on here? Is something hosed?

Needs to be tightened. They loosen up as they break in and wear.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What gets tightened? The only thing I see is the big bolt on top at the triple tree. Is that it?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
There's a spanner nut underneath that sets the bearing preload. Found an adjustment writeup here. Good luck!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Awesome thanks. I didn't really know what to search for.

Jeff Gerber
Jul 22, 2007
Well it ain't soy sauce!
I hope this is a good place to admit i'm a dumbass, because here it comes.

I did the first oil/filter change on my '83 KZ440 yesterday. I had a new filter cover bolt, drain plug, o-rings, and spring/washer ready just in case anything looked suspect.

According to my clymer manual the first two steps were "1. unscrew the filter cover bolt. Remove the spring and washer. 2. Remove the cover and filter, discard the filter."

Followed by the steps of putting it back together.

"6. Insert the bolt into the cover and install the spring and washer. Insert the filter and reinstall into the crankcase."

This confused the poo poo out of me becase
A) I'm a dumbass.
B) It wasn't clear on if the spring and washer were above the filter on the bolt, or below.

So when i removed the cover and old filter there was NO spring or washer present. Any thoughts of putting it back together based on what it looked like when it came apart went right out the window.

So i put it back in the was i thought it should go, and guess what? according to this diagram I put it in backwards.

Click here for the full 580x707 image.

I put the spring on top of the filter instead of underneath it, huzzah.

I went for a ride today and all seemed fine except for a bolt in the rear hub assembly that sheared off at some point. While looking for the bolt size i came across this diagram.

How bad of a gently caress up is this? Am i basically running with reduced filter efficiency because of the adjusted location? The oil pressure light never came on so i don't think the engine was starved at any point, although I did push it hard a few times. Should I get a new filter and more oil and do a whole new oil change when i fix it?

I did use castrol GTX 10w-40 for the change as it was recommended in multiple kawa forums for these older bikes.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Quick question: I bought a replacement carb for my KLR 650 from a guy, but when it showed up it didn't have the bracket that holds the throttle wires in place. It's essentially useless without this part, and the only place I've found it for sale is bikebandit where it's $40. The carb itself was $70. I told him this and all he replied was that he didn't have it. Do you think I should ask for $40 back? It seems like a pretty lovely thing to do.

update: did paypal dispute for $40 (being fair, not even asking for additional shipping costs) and forwarded the guys tantrum to the admins on the KLR forum

hayden. fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 4, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jeff Gerber posted:

backward filter :words:

How long was your ride? If it was fairly short (say, <50 miles) then I wouldn't sweat it. Definitely change the oil and filter; it's cheap insurance. Your oil was going around the filter rather than through it, and the filter may have been damaged by being incorrectly installed.

E: If the spring and washer weren't in there to begin with, you were already in that boat. The PO didn't kill it, so I'm sure you did no harm. Kudos on having all the necessary spare parts on hand.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 4, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Question about Seafoam (prompted by this thread): How do people use it on their bikes? Just dump a bunch into the fuel tank and oil? Is it possibly to suck it into the engine using vacuum like the how-to video shows on a bike? I don't think my bike's got any engine vacuum hoses (doesn't need any emissions gear).

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
:eng101: Your bike has a fuel hose from the gas tank into the carburetor/FI unit.

As I understand it, Seafoam is for blowing out carbon buildup from incomplete combustion. Cars may benefit from this, as they typically go 100,000 miles at relatively low RPMs. This should never be the case for your typical motorbike, which will probably be wound out regularly and then get crashed, parked or parted out by 30k.

Half a dozen goons will probably follow up this post with stories of how Seafoam alone resurrected their old CB350s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Seafoam is also a carb cleaner and gas stabalizer when put into your gas tank. It made a huge difference on my 77 CB750k. I usually put in one ounce in a full tank a couple of times per season.