Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Levitate posted:

Even for a few seconds while your back is turned.

quote:

Even for a few seconds while your back is turned.

quote:

EVEN FOR A FEW SECONDS WHILE YOUR BACK IS TURNED.

...just quoting this because it's extremely true and requires emphasis. Quite literally. Behaving bun; walk into next room, open fridge, pour water, return to room (~5-7 seconds have elapsed); find bun happily digging into a favorite book left on the side table, a furniture leg, or the rug. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Frith hasn't eaten his breakfast, and Frith is usually face deep into his morning salad almost before I've put the bowl down.

What are other signs of GI stasis I should look for? His litter box looks normal but I'm going to change his litter box right after I post this so I can observe new poop separately. He's just lying around in the litter box right now like he always does, but the hay bin is also almost full and I filled it over 12 hours ago.

I'm concerned. I'm between jobs right now so money is tight and I know I should take him to the vet but I'm -- argh.

:ohdear:

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Gumby Orgy posted:

I had to get a high backed, corner locking litter box that has mesh over the litter for my obnoxibunny because he would take glee in pissing in his litter and then making sure it covered everything. It is slightly more trouble to clean than a regular litter box but the lack of dirty litter over everything more than makes up for it. That was a nasty phase Harper went through. He also has enormous bunny poos for his size and they fall right through. He also stays cleaner and doesn't get yellow-stained feet. I haven't had a problem with sore hocks using the mesh, but if you decide to switch litterboxes, just watch his feet for a while to see if there is a problem.

http://www.rabbitmart.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-23712

Could it be that a change in litter would help? I use yesterday's news on top of ammonia-reducing cat crystals (Harper doesn't have access to his litter anymore so this is alright, I promise). You could try just switching to yesterday's news and see if that stops the digging. Another thing that could help is to get a box, cut a hole in the side, then fill with shredded paper. Harper LOVES his paper box and doesn't use it as a second litter box, but ymmv.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to order those and see how he does. In the meantime I'll get some yesterday's news. He has a high-back corner potty (3 actually)that lock in place, but he still makes a mess. Its cute when he's a destructive little rear end in a top hat, but cleaning it up sucks especially when he's peed all over the Carefresh. Hopefully this will help!

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Frith has eaten! Although, not his usual amount. Typically his breakfast is horfed down within an hour; currently it's been about 4 hours and it's only half done. But that's something, right? Should I still be making a vet appointment? He doesn't seem to be sitting or lying in any funny or uncomfortable looking position. :ohdear:

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

angelicism posted:

Frith has eaten! Although, not his usual amount. Typically his breakfast is horfed down within an hour; currently it's been about 4 hours and it's only half done. But that's something, right? Should I still be making a vet appointment? He doesn't seem to be sitting or lying in any funny or uncomfortable looking position. :ohdear:

Wish I knew what to tell you, but you probably know more about bunny behavior/illness than I do. I hope Frith is OK...

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Does he smell gassy? How about cecals? Are you seeing them or is he eating them normally? Try some belly massage. You'd be able to feel a hard mass if he has a hairball (sometimes) and it will help move things along. If it helps, get a high fiber pellet and mix it with some water and put it in a feeder syringe to help move things along. Watch Frith really, really closely because stasis can easily kill a rabbit. Harper had some mild stasis a month after getting him neutered and this is what the vet told us to do. It saved us from having a vet bill. He's been fine since.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Levitate posted:

Yeah, as a general rule, don't leave anything (ANYTHING) that you don't want destroyed within reach of a bunny. Even for a few seconds while your back is turned.

They may show no interest in chewing holes in something until that one minute that you're not paying attention and then bam they've ripped it apart.

Mine especially loves to decimate blankets

Our toothless bunny managed to eat about 2 inches of shoelace on my running shoes. Got it back to the molars and chewed like hell I suppose.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Gumby Orgy posted:

Does he smell gassy? How about cecals? Are you seeing them or is he eating them normally? Try some belly massage. You'd be able to feel a hard mass if he has a hairball (sometimes) and it will help move things along. If it helps, get a high fiber pellet and mix it with some water and put it in a feeder syringe to help move things along. Watch Frith really, really closely because stasis can easily kill a rabbit. Harper had some mild stasis a month after getting him neutered and this is what the vet told us to do. It saved us from having a vet bill. He's been fine since.

He doesn't smell gassy and after I changed his litter to watch his poop closely it seems to be normal poop. You know, cocoa puff -style poop. (I really have to stop referring to bunny poop as looking like cocoa puff because one of these days it's going to start making me hungry and that's just gross. :D ) I don't see cecals and I did see him at least once this afternoon nibbling at his butt so I assume eating the cecals.

He was back to his eateateateateat self when I started dishing out dinner (pellets) so maybe it was just morning indigestion? I tried giving him a belly massage this afternoon when he had only taken a bite or two of breakfast and I didn't feel anything that seemed off.

He's made his way through most of his dinner (1/2 c pellets) so his appetite seems back but I will be very attentive when he gets breakfast tomorrow and if he seems listless about food around breakfast he's going to the vet. It may just be being moody but I don't need to find out the hard way that "moody" = sick.

edit: I started actually physically sifting through the poop and there are one or two cecal clusters... but I've seen that before for both Zen and Frith. I just assumed sometimes they just don't want to eat anymore poop. And there are a lot of pellets left but he usually just kind of munches through them over the course of the evening.

I'm a little afraid to go to sleep now, actually. :/ I'm probably going to wake up super early out of worry.

angelicism fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 31, 2010

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

angelicism posted:

edit: I started actually physically sifting through the poop and there are one or two cecal clusters... but I've seen that before for both Zen and Frith. I just assumed sometimes they just don't want to eat anymore poop. And there are a lot of pellets left but he usually just kind of munches through them over the course of the evening.

I'm a little afraid to go to sleep now, actually. :/ I'm probably going to wake up super early out of worry.

can you get to a pharmacy? I use baby oval for Paterson ALL THE TIME because he eats things that will kill him constantly - no matter how well I hide them.

I just give him .8CCs of baby Oval if he seems out of it at all. He's usually into it. I guess it tastes good. I think that pineapple juice might help and every day I give mine papaya enzyme.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

angelicism posted:

He doesn't smell gassy and after I changed his litter to watch his poop closely it seems to be normal poop. You know, cocoa puff -style poop. (I really have to stop referring to bunny poop as looking like cocoa puff because one of these days it's going to start making me hungry and that's just gross. :D ) I don't see cecals and I did see him at least once this afternoon nibbling at his butt so I assume eating the cecals.

He was back to his eateateateateat self when I started dishing out dinner (pellets) so maybe it was just morning indigestion? I tried giving him a belly massage this afternoon when he had only taken a bite or two of breakfast and I didn't feel anything that seemed off.

He's made his way through most of his dinner (1/2 c pellets) so his appetite seems back but I will be very attentive when he gets breakfast tomorrow and if he seems listless about food around breakfast he's going to the vet. It may just be being moody but I don't need to find out the hard way that "moody" = sick.

If you've seen them before it isn't something to be too concerned with unless there are more of them than normal. If he's eating and pooping normally again, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep watching him closely. It sounds like Frith is coming around :)

Harper was NOT HAPPY when I had to give him liquified pellets, but it worked. I had to go out and buy him some mylicon baby anti-gas drops and had to give him a drop of that because he smelled like cabbage for whatever reason.

Is there any possible way for you to start feeding them mostly hay and fresh veggies? Harper didn't take too well to an all hay and veggie diet so I do supplement with his favorite pellet (Mazuri) but most of his diet is hay.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Frith is back to horfing his food! Yay! I guess he was just having an off morning yesterday.

*happydance*

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

In other good rabbit gastrointestinal news, my Billy no longer leaves soft uneaten cecals lying around. I reduced his pellet consumption by half, did the trick, thanks rabbit.org! Even though I already fed him quite a small amount of pellets to begin with.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Cecals reek. They are seriously one of the most foul-smelling things ever. Hooray for Frith!

Edit: As a rabbit owner, I can honestly say that we all get a little obsessed with our rabbits' poops. It is weird to most everyone but us.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 1, 2010

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Gumby Orgy posted:

Edit: As a rabbit owner, I can honestly say that we all get a little obsessed with our rabbits' poops. It is weird to most everyone but us.

Indeed; there was a moment I paused as I was raking my hands through the litter box and picking up poops to examine them individually where I was like, what the christ. Haha.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Gumby Orgy posted:

As a ferret owner, I examine poops on a regular basis for consistency and such. Stinky carnivore poops, even. It's not just a rabbit-owner thing. It's a PI thing. :shobon:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
"Hmm. He's got hair in his poop. Perhaps it is time to get out the furminator and give him a shower."

a few days later...

*goes through litterbox* "Yay! No more hair in his poop. Did I just rummage through Harper's litterbox?!"

:ughh:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

Indeed; there was a moment I paused as I was raking my hands through the litter box and picking up poops to examine them individually where I was like, what the christ. Haha.

the best is when I see one of them in the litterbox, wait for them to get out and then put my hand on the doodies under where they were sitting to see if they are warm and fresh. It makes my boyfriend (and probably everyone who isn't in PI) want to puke.

her0n
Sep 13, 2006

hey look the world is covered in snail slime

Gumby Orgy posted:

"Hmm. He's got hair in his poop. Perhaps it is time to get out the furminator and give him a shower."

a few days later...

*goes through litterbox* "Yay! No more hair in his poop. Did I just rummage through Harper's litterbox?!"

:ughh:

Furminators rule so much. I got to use one last summer on a Pony that had problems shedding her coat, it was just awesome!

In other news - this was in my local shop this morning.. it's just :smith:

I got myself a bunny last night though... :3:

The disturbing part is that he has a zip compartment underneath, containing 3 delicious chocolate bunny babies :ohdear:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

her0n posted:

Gah. I've been lucky and have avoided seeing this crap so far. However, we got our first easter adoption application yesterday. A woman who wanted a bunny as a gift for a child she knows from church. "The daughter of family in our church who desperatly desire a bunny & yes Mom and Dad are ok with the bunny they just do not have the dollars to buy the cage and bunny."

Every animal listing we have goes on and on about how expensive rabbit care is. Goddamn the lack of foresight this person shows is just so :wtc:

That Lindt bunny, however, is adorable.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

her0n posted:

Furminators rule so much. I got to use one last summer on a Pony that had problems shedding her coat, it was just awesome!

I hope you took it down, policies about postings be dammed

I'm tired of people thinking pets are disposable

her0n
Sep 13, 2006

hey look the world is covered in snail slime

alucinor posted:

Gah. I've been lucky and have avoided seeing this crap so far. However, we got our first easter adoption application yesterday. A woman who wanted a bunny as a gift for a child she knows from church. "The daughter of family in our church who desperatly desire a bunny & yes Mom and Dad are ok with the bunny they just do not have the dollars to buy the cage and bunny."

Every animal listing we have goes on and on about how expensive rabbit care is. Goddamn the lack of foresight this person shows is just so :wtc:

That Lindt bunny, however, is adorable.

Yeah i'm betting it's someone who had a pair of females... except one wasn't a girl after all - oops!
Same thing happened to a manager at work.

£8 is about $12 by the way, just so you can get an idea. Their inability to spell makes me sad too!

The Lindt toy is making up for my lack of bunny - i'm not ready to take a real one in at the moment. Easter is also a terrible time too. Although perhaps in a few months i'll be able to visit the local rescue/RSPCA :)

Levitate posted:

I hope you took it down, policies about postings be dammed

I'm tired of people thinking pets are disposable

Sadly not able to do this, it's inside the window of the newsagent. Thankfully the area I live in is upper middle class and people here arent stupid or shits. I'm hoping they'll see the ad for what it is, and avoid it.

her0n fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 1, 2010

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Hey, the Animal Rescue Site is running a deal today where every purchase goes toward helping shelter bunnies. They have some neat stuff.

You can give directly to bunnies too, if you want. Ten bucks cares for two shelter bunnies for a week.

Not affiliated with them, just wanted to spread it along, especially since I know there's going to be a few more shelter bunnies in the next few weeks. :(

Meanwhile, pictures:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
So, Harper's aggression has gotten worse. I'm kind of wondering if our neighbors are noisy when we aren't home and he's getting freaked out.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I just got an iPhone so of course I had to test the video feature with Cilantro, right? Right? :smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny5GjsTxixM

Please ignore my :sissies: bunny voice. :3:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 5, 2010

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

pseudonordic posted:

I just got an iPhone so of course I had to test the video feature with Cilantro, right? Right? :smith:

:3:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

pseudonordic posted:

"Cilaaantrooo~<3"

That's so adorable. The crunch-crunch-crunch sound of bunnies eating stuff is so strangely comforting. :3:

Also in the "related videos" bar, I found this: baby bunny eating a flower then washes its face (with little pink flicks of bunnytongue!)

So insanely cute.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

my boyfriend and I made some movies with the ribbits earlier today.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Gumby Orgy posted:

So, Harper's aggression has gotten worse. I'm kind of wondering if our neighbors are noisy when we aren't home and he's getting freaked out.

I wouldn't be surprised, especially with apartment living. I get new neighbors frequently, but two years ago a single mom and her two kids lived next door. Ever since they've been gone I haven't witnessed Murphy throwing tantrums by repeatedly thumping the floor. It was really bad for a while where he'd even do it for 15 minutes straight at 3 or 4 in the morning. I didn't blame him though, they annoyed me too by always playing on my patio and wrecking my plants and stuff. We were all happy when they moved out.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Windy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, especially with apartment living. I get new neighbors frequently, but two years ago a single mom and her two kids lived next door. Ever since they've been gone I haven't witnessed Murphy throwing tantrums by repeatedly thumping the floor. It was really bad for a while where he'd even do it for 15 minutes straight at 3 or 4 in the morning. I didn't blame him though, they annoyed me too by always playing on my patio and wrecking my plants and stuff. We were all happy when they moved out.

I'm going to be home for most of the day tomorrow (for once) and I'll get to see if there is a lot of noise during the day when I'm usually not here.

Edit: We have new downstairs neighbors as of about two months ago. I think his girlfriend recently moved in, which is why I'm starting to wonder if it is loud when I'm gone.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 7, 2010

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

angelicism posted:

He doesn't seem to avoid being on his back feet in any way (at least, not insofar as I can tell) so... no? I'll change his litter box more often and try the rest of your advice. :) Hopefully it's just his fur parting funny. But I don't think it used to be that way.

Just chiming in to say, if you haven't cut his nails recently, it could be that. This happens to our bunny when we go a little too long between nail clippings - his longer nails cause him to settle further back on his heels when he relaxes, and the hair starts to part and if we're not careful he can eventually get sore hocks.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
It was really loving quiet all day today. But, he was much more relaxed tonight after spending all day with me. Maybe he needs practically constant attention?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Long bunny is loooooong (or laid down very flat with her chin on the ground :3: )

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Just chiming in to say, if you haven't cut his nails recently, it could be that. This happens to our bunny when we go a little too long between nail clippings - his longer nails cause him to settle further back on his heels when he relaxes, and the hair starts to part and if we're not careful he can eventually get sore hocks.

I've wondered about this: how often should I be cutting their claws, and how short? Zen is tough because her nails are all brown so it's really hard to see where the quick is, but Frith being all nice and albino I can see exactly where I'm going. I usually leave like 2-3mm above the quick, just in case (I don't want to try to get closer, I'm positive I will hurt him). I also cut them like once a month, maybe.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I use a dremel on harper's nails once a month or so. It is quick and painless for him. His nails are perpetually a little long because his nails aren't clear.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Gumby Orgy posted:

I use a dremel on harper's nails once a month or so. It is quick and painless for him. His nails are perpetually a little long because his nails aren't clear.

A... dremel? o.o

I think the sound alone would terrify Frith.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Yeah. I turn it on low and use a fine grit sander bit on his nails. I first put him in a bunnyrito and like a minute or two later he's free. At first it seemed to frighten him but now he's okay with it. A dremel tool is much more powerful than one of those stupid pedipaw things and is more useful.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
If they're brown and not black, you can use a flashlight shined up underneath the nails to see exactly where the quick is. That helps me a LOT with clipping.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I have some of the CUTEST movies of the rabbits that I can't wait to upload and get on here. There's one of Paterson where he's playing with a pamphlet with my boyfriend, grabs it out of his hand, notices the camera and stops mid-chew to stare at the camera. MID CHEW!
I don't think he likes being filmed. There's another one where he licks my boyfriend's pants, too, which sucks because he hardly even lets me touch him but he loves the manpants.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

a few days ago when Paterson would chew on paper or cardboard every now and then it would sound like there was a squeak coming out of his mouth. It kind of sounded like a tiny sneeze or something? It seems to have stopped but does anyone know what it might have been? He's been kind of lethargic but that might just be nothing. I'm completely paranoid of him getting sick because of his past problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

luscious posted:

I have some of the CUTEST movies of the rabbits that I can't wait to upload and get on here. There's one of Paterson where he's playing with a pamphlet with my boyfriend, grabs it out of his hand, notices the camera and stops mid-chew to stare at the camera. MID CHEW!
I don't think he likes being filmed. There's another one where he licks my boyfriend's pants, too, which sucks because he hardly even lets me touch him but he loves the manpants.

SAMe really loves my roomie's pajamma pants and sweatshirts that she tends to wear to bed, I think it's cuz they're probably kind of sweaty (ick) and that makes them smell more like the person and less like detergent.

I sewed this little dress for her for easter!

Click here for the full 720x540 image.