Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Tactical Bonnet posted:

While on the subject, can anyone recommend an exhaust setup that will increase volume wihtout the fart sounds?

I run a Goodwin Roadstersport III midpipe and muffler on my 95M. It can be a bit loud when you stomp on it and drony around 3k-3.5k rpm but Goodwin makes insertable baffles if you want them. I think the tone is excellent, it definitely sounds like a vintage sports car with a bit of rasp and lots of pops and gurgles. I don't have any videos of mine but this one sounds a lot like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQINOlhep8c

I think the Racing Beat exhaust is a quieter system but it still sounds really good as well with a smoother, revvier tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiiKrOP_mcY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

aventari posted:

I just got H&R race springs and Bilstein Sports for my 99 and I love the setup. Very tolerable on the street and was awesome at the track a few weeks ago. $600 for the full set from shox.com

I also get Racing beat front and rear sway bars at the same time which are great and about $250 for the set.

Here's how it looks: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2651683&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=110#post372866159

If I went this route, would I need to order new bumpstops too?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

crutt posted:

If I went this route, would I need to order new bumpstops too?

You wouldn't need to. But god drat you should. The difference is very noticeable. Everyone here will say the same.

EDIT: And if you do order new 'stops you will probably need new boots.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
So these would be the right ones? http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bilstein_stops_NB.htm

I'm guessing it would be the 36f/46r based on the H&R Spring rates, but I'm not sure

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

crutt posted:

So these would be the right ones? http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Bilstein_stops_NB.htm

I'm guessing it would be the 36f/46r based on the H&R Spring rates, but I'm not sure

Just call Shaikh at Fat Cat and tell him your intended setup and he can recommend the right bumpstops for you.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jeez, I'm away for a week and have 100 posts to read through. :)

Phone posted:

I don't do 2->5, I'm going for 3rd. I think it's me just trying to go too fast sometimes.

Ok, I just thought it was weird to miss 2-3 or 3-4, since they're the simplest shifts. I can totally understand someone missing, say, 4-5, especially since if you do it right you're just barely easing it in there; I've done this plenty of times.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I do 2-5. Only on a warm motor and when my acceleration is going to be cut short from some fucker pulling in front of me.

In the beginning I did skip gears while upshifting, but I actually like driving the car so much I won't bother with that anymore. I'll get up to whatever speed I want by 2nd gear and then rapidly shift through 3-4-5.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

o hay.

It's that time of year again.

Goddamn I'm jealous. I had expected to have the hardtop off and wheels swapped by now but the weather has been too cold. It might barely be warm enough to put the top down later this week, but I can't stand these snow tires and would love to get them off first. It's about 50°F now, maybe I can take care of this stuff today.... :)

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Atomizer posted:

In the beginning I did skip gears while upshifting, but I actually like driving the car so much I won't bother with that anymore. I'll get up to whatever speed I want by 2nd gear and then rapidly shift through 3-4-5.

I only do it when I can't accelerate anymore. If I can accelerate any more I run through all the gears and usually end up a significant number above the set speed limit. But I try to not do that. >.>

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

loving texan pollen!!!!

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
out with the old and in with the new :3:

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

destructo posted:

out with the old and in with the new :3:

I don't see any brake clean :colbert:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
What do you think he's drinking out of that jug?:v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Did you upgrade the caliper too?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

Did you upgrade the caliper too?
Front calipers are slightly different (contrary to miata.net), although the rears are the same. I ended up getting a set of full calipers/pads/brackets from a 99 with 40k so I just swapped the whole assemblies. Onto the front today!

Also today is Phone's birthday, so wish him a year of driving into the woods :v:

NOT GETTIN UNDER IT DON'T CARE :suicide: (eh that's what the rim is for)
\/\/\/\/

destructo fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 29, 2010

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Where are your jackstands

SAFETY FIRST

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Third Man posted:

Where are your jackstands

SAFETY FIRST

I wasn't going to say anything, but that was the first thing I noticed when I looked at that picture. Maybe I'm just hypercautious. :shobon:

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Guinness posted:

I wasn't going to say anything, but that was the first thing I noticed when I looked at that picture. Maybe I'm just hypercautious. :shobon:
Its great until one of those jacks break. I had a fiero jack break on me. about a half hour before it I was under it.

Yeah lesson learned and I was lucky.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I hate jackstands. They're always in the way and hard to position and generally a huge pain in the rear end. That all said, I do love being alive so I always use them. :shobon:

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2010

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

destructo posted:

Front calipers are slightly different (contrary to miata.net), although the rears are the same. I ended up getting a set of full calipers/pads/brackets from a 99 with 40k so I just swapped the whole assemblies. Onto the front today!

:wtf: You gotta be joking, I just ordered pads/rotors for a '94+ along with the front brackets from a '95 with every intention of doing the upgrade next weekend.

You're telling me that won't work? :( :( :(

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Blaise posted:

:wtf: You gotta be joking, I just ordered pads/rotors for a '94+ along with the front brackets from a '95 with every intention of doing the upgrade next weekend.

You're telling me that won't work? :( :( :(
Nope! It'll work, it's just that the later calipers hold the bigger pads better. No worries, you're still good to go. I just came in from the garage.. the difference is pretty hard to spot.

edit: gently caress bleeding brakes.

destructo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 30, 2010

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.
The antenna on my 2007 got stolen. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Where can I get another one? I had a black rubbery antenna, and all I've found so far is chrome ones like this:

http://tinyurl.com/yj4o7oo

EDIT: It was similar to this, but not imitation/stick-on: http://www.carbodyparts.net/2008-mazda-mx_5_miata/antenna-rb502201.html

pacheco fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 1, 2010

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I too didn't know about there being different calipers in the 94-97 range.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

stgdz posted:

Its great until one of those jacks break. I had a fiero jack break on me. about a half hour before it I was under it.

Yeah lesson learned and I was lucky.
My Miata's jack broke on the way down as I finished mounting the last wheel after the final bleed. Replaced it with the jack from the Sienna, didn't tell the rents :ninja:

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
So spring is here and I put my summer tires on, washed it, and bought a new battery because HEY my stereo drained it sitting for 2 months and it froze and buldged :(

Anyone got a simple fix for the terrible glare that reflects off the instrument hood into the windshield? I've grown tired of it.

Suniikaa fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 1, 2010

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Suniikaa posted:

Anyone got a simple fix for the terrible glare that reflects off the instrument hood into the windshield? I've grown tired of it.

Sandpaper.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

pacheco posted:

Where can I get another one? I had a black rubbery antenna, and all I've found so far is chrome ones like this:

EDIT: It was similar to this, but not imitation/stick-on: http://www.carbodyparts.net/2008-mazda-mx_5_miata/antenna-rb502201.html

I'm not sure but that looks quite similar to the Fuba antenna used on VW's since the first 16v scirocco in 1986.

There's lots of knock-offs available, just google Fuba antenna. I have one on each of my roccos if you need measurements

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

pacheco posted:

http://www.gomiata.com/miunthblan.html

I imagine http://finishlineperformance.com would have one but their site is down.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm planning on hauling my car out and cleaning the gently caress out of it and detailing it this weekend if it's nice. I'm doing a few other things I've been neglecting to do for a while, and I was curious as to whether or not throwing a can of seafoam in might do me some good? The car has ~116k on it so would it be worth it, or is seafoam only good for older or noticeably gummed up engines?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Just a reminder to be careful where you park. Too many people out there with cars too big and brains too small.

$3100 in damage according to my insurance company, if I had a 1.6 it would be totaled. Of loving course they didn't leave a note.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You might go and see if there were video cameras in that parking lot, maybe get the license plate of the guy that hit you.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Vitamin J posted:

Just a reminder to be careful where you park. Too many people out there with cars too big and brains too small.

Just a reminder to be careful where you park when you do an IT house call. Too many people out there with cars too big who don't look behind them.

And they didn't leave a note. But I was right there when it happened. :)

1100$

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Vitamin J posted:

$3100 in damage according to my insurance company, if I had a 1.6 it would be totaled. Of loving course they didn't leave a note.

Same place mine got hit but much more severe. So sorry man, so sorry. I just wish I had insurance on mine :(

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

You might go and see if there were video cameras in that parking lot, maybe get the license plate of the guy that hit you.
No cameras and I've been scouring the lot and adjacent lots since Friday night when it happened. Probaby an SUV with barely a scratch.

Ziploc, you lucked out man! That's just a fender, six bolts or so! No cutting or welding involved!

Good news is I've got connections and I can probably get it fixed for less than $2k.

I also decided to spend a little money on my baby to cheer her up and order one of these today:
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?cPath=5_19&products_id=63

Been eying it for over a year.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Moss is having a sale, there seem to be some decent deals. I just ordered a short shifter for $77 (down from $100).

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

When some jackass punched my fender in with their car, it was far enough back that the door couldn't open. :(

Luckily, the nice guy at the shop where I was having my gas tank welded up pulled it out for free. :)

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My 94's sustained 3 separate deep dents with scraped off paint, as well as cracks in the rear bumper thanks to drunken jackass freshman smashing into it in the dorm parking lot. And of course none of them left any paint behind to work out who hit it. Thank god I live off campus now.

I'll honestly probably never fix the damage since it's all superficial and it's probably close to $5000 in Insurance Company Quote Money. Might as well get rich and make the whole body carbon fiber.

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma
My Master Cylinder thingy has broken and it was sticking the clutch, car is on 75kish miles and has had a supercharger on it at some point in its life so im guessing it was due a new clutch some time soon anyway.

While the Master Cylinder is being replaced I figure I might as well replace the clutch because its been sticking half way down because of the broken thing and probably worn an awful lot. I am thinking of one day supercharging my mx5 so is there any particular clutch out there that I should be looking at that can take 200bhpish safely or should I just stick a standard one in there?

Supercharger im looking at in about 6 months time is here

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=16224

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

willd58 posted:

My Master Cylinder thingy has broken and it was sticking the clutch, car is on 75kish miles and has had a supercharger on it at some point in its life so im guessing it was due a new clutch some time soon anyway.

Just replaced the slave and master cylinder for mine about a week ago. Master was a really easy job and first time I really worked on a car myself. It's only 2 nuts and the fluid line, and it's off. Just as easy to get back on too, only took me a few minutes.

http://www.miata.net/garage/mastercyl.html

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well, I've been wanting to get this done for a month or so, but earlier this evening I was able to get the hardtop off and onto my new hardtop carrier. It works great and I'm glad I made the purchase.

After that, I tried to swap the wheels. I jacked it up & placed a jack stand, then removed the lug nuts from the driver's side front wheel. I went to pull it off and...nothing. The wheel wouldn't budge. I tried rocking it side-to-side, hitting it with a rubber mallet, and using some WD-40 but nothing worked. Oh well, I guess I bought that new torque wrench for nothing. :( I have to take it to a tire shop *again*, hopefully tomorrow night. At least it will be over with then. I'm so tired of these snow tires.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Kick the wheel. Kick the poo poo out of it. Kick it like you caught it robbing you. Kick it like you caught it loving your wife.

It's just rusted onto the rotors and needs to be persuaded with more than a rubber mallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Kick the wheel. Kick the poo poo out of it. Kick it like you caught it robbing you. Kick it like you caught it loving your wife.

It's just rusted onto the rotors and needs to be persuaded with more than a rubber mallet.

Yeah, I tried kicking it too. A lot. :)

The lug nuts are already back on and tightened, and the other set of wheels is already loaded in the Explorer. I'll have the tire shop do it in less than 24 hours. Believe me, if I thought I could have done it myself I would have. :(