Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Eatin' planets, fightin', and drinkin' 'round the world!
I've just started playing for a local comp in Left Back - it works quite well because i'm playing in a team with my best mate who is also left footed and plays Left Mid / Winger - so when we get tired or feel enthusiastic we swap positions to give the other guy a chance to run forward. We're in a comp with 6 divisions and we did so well in the grading cup (actually won the thing, SILVERWARE!) that they've moved us up from div5 to div4.

A long way to go but i'm enjoying it. it has given me a different perspective on watching the game too, I have much more appreciation for stamina and how much more thinking is required from pretty much everyone on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
We won 8-6. We were up 4-1 at half, and the one goal I conceded was an own goal from the left back...it was a p good finish actually. We got up 6-1 early in the second half and apparently everyone decided that I could handle the rest of the game on my own.

I did get to crush the other team's mouthy forward when he challenged for a cross :D

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
We took a gritty 1-0 victory last night, won with a concerted team effort of constant pressure and run and carry, as we identified the team we were playing struggled to deal with players coming at them. It's awesome when tactics pay off

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I need a dribbling move. I'm a striker. What move should I learn?

I can't do a Zidane roulette very well on the field so suggest something else.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

the posted:

Is this a serious question?

Watch youtube clips of the great strikers and practice I guess.

FRonaldo, Henry, Torres, Villa, Trezeguet, Raul, Rooney, Drogba etc

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If strength is your best asset then keep working on the roulette, it's not the move itself but the principle of rolling the defender that's important. If you watch Drogba he's not one for stepovers or elaborate tricks, he just keeps his body between the defender and the ball but positions himself so that he doesn't get stuck with his back to the goal.

To take advantage of other tricks you need acceleration. If you're not quick off the mark then you won't get anywhere regardless of how good you are on the ball. If you do have some pace though then I would learn something like the flip-flap which complements simple stepovers. A stepover itself is worthless without the threat of a different trick, but by learning anything like the flip-flap you've got both that and the stepover to work with which gives you options.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn
If he can't do the roulette he has zero chance of being able to do the flip flap.

e - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/skills/default.stm

just watch some of those

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Theres seems to be a shortage of people here opting to be strikers. Is this just my perception? Generally when I play football everyone and their team-mate is running up front trying to get the goals. Seems the majority of goons identify themselves as defenders or midfielders. Is it more a case of if you are excelling at your current position you get lumped up front where you will be more effective.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

luvd posted:

If he can't do the roulette he has zero chance of being able to do the flip flap.

e - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/skills/default.stm

just watch some of those

Flip flap is a million times easier than the roulette.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My captain moved me up two games ago, from defender to striker, and I've done great. The past two games I've had ample opportunities and two assists, and we're on a two game winning streak. My strengths are my strength (body size, physicality), shot accuracy, and I'm not too bad in the air either. I had two headers on crosses that should have gone in, if not for pesky defenders in perfect positions.

The problem is that I don't really have a "move" out in the field except for just pushing the ball on my strong side and muscling past the defender. This works a lot of the time, but I'd love to have a cut or something that I can practice.

I mean I can do the roulette, I just really haven't tried it in a game situation. I'm not much for flourishes. But I guess you're right about rolling the defender. I do that a lot on bouncy long balls that come from the back, where I lean into the defender and roll with the ball and take off with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3o5hmfF27Q

Haha, that looks fun. I'll have to practice that.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

You need to be really good to do the roulette and get it to work. And if you do it often on low league/amateur level you will get knocked the gently caress out by the defenders after the first time.

If you're big and strong you should learn to play with the back against the goal and work as a target man, with the occasional explosive attack like Drogba. If you're a big guy you're most likely not able to do "tricks" and you need to play on your strengths rather than trying to adapt to another type of striker.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pull a Mark Viduka and just sit with your back to goal and try to backheel it into the net constantly.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I use a roulette usually when I beat a defender to the ball and he is lunging. Generally when I get in a one on one situation I just use a single stepover and push the ball with the opposite foot out past the defender.

I find it hard to believe anyone who knows how to play this game cant learn to use a roulette after practicing it a bit. Its a really really simple move but when pulled off in the right moment its unstoppable.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ramagamma posted:

Theres seems to be a shortage of people here opting to be strikers. Is this just my perception? Generally when I play football everyone and their team-mate is running up front trying to get the goals. Seems the majority of goons identify themselves as defenders or midfielders. Is it more a case of if you are excelling at your current position you get lumped up front where you will be more effective.

Most people I know like to get forward in pick up games regardless of their natural position. My 11s team practice sessions keep ending with basically everyone playing up front even though we don't have a single natural striker in the squad, we're having to convert the attack minded midfield players (which is why I was asking about movement earlier).

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

the posted:

learn to do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVzzvMEG08&playnext_from=TL&videos=Qc9XmD3uC5c

and you will have girls wanting to jump into hot spas naked with you.

Seriously.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Hahah yes, I wish. Exceptionnel indeed.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

unicron posted:

learn to do this:

Seriously.

The first ten seconds of commentary make me laugh every time

Played for the first time in a while today, 6 a side. Got 3 good goals, all cleanly hit into the corners from distance. Even did a cruyff turn on someone. Was a good game for fifty minutes or so but it was sunny so everyone tired sharply and the other team had one player who was basically not very good, so by the end it was pretty much one-sided attack vs offense. Dunno why they didn't swap around or anything.

For the whole skills discussion, if you've got quick feet at all you can often do as well simply by varying the pace at which you move the ball, quick little jerks. If you watch a skilful player like Modric or Berbatov they tend to move in controlled bursts, almost flopping their feet at the ball when they're dribbling in tight areas. It takes quick, soft feet and practice but learning how to do that makes it much easier to go past people, then it's often just a question of gauging at what point you can move it past them without them reacting in time.

Still can't do a flip-flap :negative:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Is it normal to be the only right footed player on a squad of lefties? I played soccer for the first time in about 18 years last Saturday and ended up carving out a bit of a right back role. All the other players kept playing to the left side of the field, though, forcing me to go closer to them to make passes. Unfortunately, that allowed the other side's winger and leftback to move easily to the improvised touchline before I could disrupt play.

I ended up getting skinned more than Glen Johnson, especially since we didn't have an offsides rule. Kind of embarrassing.

My legs are also still aching, which is surprising since I run regularly. I guess it's all the pivoting, sprinting, and direction changing.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 5, 2010

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
That's statistically very rare.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

In the 4 days a week that I play at the moment, only one of the players I play with regularly is left footed, and he's not very good. Which makes me the 11s team left winger at the moment. :/

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

TyChan posted:

Is it normal to be the only right footed player on a squad of lefties? I played soccer for the first time in about 18 years last Saturday and ended up carving out a bit of a right back role. All the other players kept playing to the left side of the field, though, forcing me to go closer to them to make passes. Unfortunately, that allowed the other side's winger and leftback to move easily to the improvised touchline before I could disrupt play.

I ended up getting skinned more than Glen Johnson, especially since we didn't have an offsides rule. Kind of embarrassing.

My legs are also still aching, which is surprising since I run regularly. I guess it's all the pivoting, sprinting, and direction changing.

That is very very weird. When we were trying to get a team together for the business league, out of 15 people only 2 were left footed, and I was one of them. It's no big deal though, a left footer playing on the right can be deadly due to their ability to cut inside.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

unicron posted:

learn to do this:

Seriously.

That's a proper Zizou move

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Rhgr posted:

That is very very weird. When we were trying to get a team together for the business league, out of 15 people only 2 were left footed, and I was one of them. It's no big deal though, a left footer playing on the right can be deadly due to their ability to cut inside.

My team has 3 left-footed players, out of a squad of 18. None of them play on the left. Two are central midfielders and one is a striker. I'm right footed and play left back but my left is probably 80% as good as my right anyway.

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!
Didn't see this thread till just now.

I've been playing since I was 4 years old, firstly just at the local club, playing in my older brothers team. Dominating performances got me into an academy and at 13-14 our team won treble. Went onto to play first team football at semi pro football when I was 15(mostly cause we the team had a rash of injuries and I was big promising kid). Moved up a division the next year and managed to play some more first team football near the end of the season. Stayed at that club till 2 years ago when through a mutual friend I got talking about College Soccer in U.S and just ended up committing because I was sick of university in Australia.

Had a alright first year over here playing out of position on the wing and then a pretty great second season once I got moved up front. Going back to Australia for summer to play because club is paying for my flight and because I am da best.

Best things for a striker is your first touch. 80% of the time your first touch can take you into enough space to have a strike.

Best boots: copas(although this year for first time in 8 years I wore something different)

Also this is from one of the first couple pages. Reason good players are usually dicks in indoor is because a) super competitive regardless of score b) don't like getting kicked c) they are dicks.

Best recent footy result. We got a team in for free at this indoor league and finished 4th even though we missed 3 out of 8 games. In play off for third we were getting smashed 6 - 1 at one stage in first half. The other team starting being cunts with the bench laughing at how poo poo we were. We managed to sneak two goals in last minute of first half, Then went onto win the game 10 - 9.

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Sir Charles posted:

Best recent footy result. We got a team in for free at this indoor league and finished 4th even though we missed 3 out of 8 games. In play off for third we were getting smashed 6 - 1 at one stage in first half. The other team starting being cunts with the bench laughing at how poo poo we were. We managed to sneak two goals in last minute of first half, Then went onto win the game 10 - 9.

These are some of life's greatest victories :)

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Sir Charles posted:

Stuff about playing in the US

If you dont mind me asking where do you play? I coach a small Division 3 team that had a ton of success the past few years and was wondering if you play anywhere around here.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

My game fee's have gone up by $5. The reason - so they can film a few games a week and edit together a highlights package to post on youtube.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Charge them $5 back for a TV rights package.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hughsieblingwish posted:

My game fee's have gone up by $5. The reason - so they can film a few games a week and edit together a highlights package to post on youtube.
That's loving cool. Will you post that poo poo?

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

hughsieblingwish posted:

Would unironically pay for that, and then post the clips on facebook (discounting the very few that make me look bad ofc)

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!

PhillyLucky posted:

If you dont mind me asking where do you play? I coach a small Division 3 team that had a ton of success the past few years and was wondering if you play anywhere around here.

I play up in Wisconsin. We've finished second and third in conference only to choke horribly in first round of finals both times.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I see. I'm in the Philly area. Let me know if you play locally this year (Villanova maybe?), I could use an excuse to go see some Division I Soccer.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Important game tomorrow. My team (11 a side) is playing against one of the other two teams who are tied for second place in the league.

I'll be playing right wing, 6 hours after running a 5k, nursing both a hip and a foot injury.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

the posted:

Important game tomorrow. My team (11 a side) is playing against one of the other two teams who are tied for second place in the league.

I'll be playing right wing, 6 hours after running a 5k, nursing both a hip and a foot injury.

game speed motherfucker

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

tbp posted:

game speed motherfucker

We tied 2-2, but man these were the worst refs ever. 5 of our players ended up getting carded for mouthing off or complaining.

Notably, one throw in from the opposing team (about 20 years from the linesman who was watching it) bounced twice out of bounds before bouncing in bounds. The linesman did absolutely nothing. :ughh:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

You've only got yourselves to blame for that. Simple fact is if they were particularly good at officiating matches they wouldn't be in charge of games at your level, they'd be given actual important matches. Mouthing off at them isn't going to help. Even worse if they do it for free.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
True. Mouthing off is definitely something stupid, and I wasn't a part of it. I'm not sure why people do it, considering there's absolutely 0 chance the referee will reverse his call based on your outburst.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
I'm going to have a crack at goalkeeping, can anyone suggest good gloves?

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Why does turf burn knees so much arrghgasdhagh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Bacon of the Sea posted:

I'm going to have a crack at goalkeeping, can anyone suggest good gloves?

I can tell you that the Adidas fingersave gloves, the "value" pair, are crap. I used them for indoor keeping and after a season I had already worn a hole in at least two fingers and between my index and thumb.

I'm not sure if the durability on the higher end gloves is better, but if you're planning on keeping for awhile, it might be good to invest in a proper pair. Also, be sure to let them properly dry out after matches. It helps them last longer.