Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
At 5'11". a rebel will be too small for you. I'm 5'11" and the slightly larger CM400 I have is too small for comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Agrias120 posted:

I'm 5'11" and 150lbs. I agree that buying a used bike is probably better, buying a new one was just on my mind since I found the Rebel in my price range when I was at the shop buying some boots and gloves for the MSF.

I'm expecting to do a good mix of riding. I live in Washington DC, so I'll naturally be doing a lot of commuting, but my family lives about 45 minutes south on the highway. There are also a lot of scenic routes to take that are an hour or two away via freeway, so I'd rather not have a bike that is going to imprison me to the right lane of the interstate.

I'm not opposed to buying an old bike at all, I'm just trying to stay in the mid $2000 range, if possible.

You're not going to fit on a Rebel, I'm 6'0" and my knees hit the handlebars on them.

Also remember that all bikes, old or new, are going to be more maintenance-intensive. Actually new bikes might be even more, because many of them have a 500 mile service, then a 1500 mile service before going into the usual 6k-10k service cycle.

You can do really, really well used in the mid-$2k range if you want cruisers. There's a MASSIVE deluge of 90s and 00 600-750cc cruisers on the market that make acceptable beginner bikes. Don't be so worried about the displacement, focus on power. The rule of thumb around here seems to be ~55hp is about the limit for how much power you want in your first bike. And given how many bikes there are out there that fit that criteria, you should have no problem staying within budget for something used.

My first bike was a '97 Virago 750cc, and I did okay (sorta).

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1681203355.html

I'm going to offer him $2900. It's an '02, which he forgets in this post but was mentioned in another ad he posted a few days ago. He's listed it 3 times over the last 2 weeks, so obviously he's not getting any bites on the price tag.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 7, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1681203355.html

I'm going to offer him $2900. It's an '02, which he forgets in this post but was mentioned in another ad he posted a few days ago. He's listed it 3 times over the last 2 weeks, so obviously he's not getting any bites on the price tag.

Still too much money, considering it's been crashed. And it's 8 years old.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

Still too much money, considering it's been crashed. And it's 8 years old.

Why do you say it was crashed? The painted fairing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Why do you say it was crashed? The painted fairing?

Painted fairing and the fact that the seller isn't talking about how it's never been down.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

Painted fairing and the fact that the seller isn't talking about how it's never been down.

Ok, I'll start watching for that more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok, I'll start watching for that more.

Partial flat black is a big red flag for me...if the damage was minor, you'd just replace one panel with one of the same color on ebay. If the damage was major, you're replacing a bunch of panels and then shooting it all flat black. If you're lazy, you do that without painting the rest of the bike. Either way, it points at an owner who halfasses things, which isn't the person you want to buy a motorcycle from.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

Partial flat black is a big red flag for me...if the damage was minor, you'd just replace one panel with one of the same color on ebay. If the damage was major, you're replacing a bunch of panels and then shooting it all flat black. If you're lazy, you do that without painting the rest of the bike. Either way, it points at an owner who halfasses things, which isn't the person you want to buy a motorcycle from.

You're right.

You know, there was this mint condition, beautiful '01 CBR 600 3 days before I had enough money to buy, and by the time I had the cash, it was gone. Very frustrating. Why is it so hard to find something that isn't a scam for ~$2500

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agrias120 posted:

I live in Washington DC,
Feel free to give me a holler if you want help checking out used bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I desperately want one of those, but the idea of maintenance or blowing a turbo scares me :(

Wonder Weapon, just be patient, the right bike will come up :) They move fast though, so be prepared to move.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Endless Mike posted:

Feel free to give me a holler if you want help checking out used bikes.

You just made yourself and annoying newbie rider friend :c00l:. PM incoming!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Z3n posted:

I desperately want one of those, but the idea of maintenance or blowing a turbo scares me :(

Wonder Weapon, just be patient, the right bike will come up :) They move fast though, so be prepared to move.

I have the cash ready, chilling in the bank, and I've been f5ing every 20 minutes at work. I just want it noooooooooooooow

I've actually owned 2 bikes before (and posted a crash report for my ninja 250 a few years ago) but this is the first one I'll have had in like 3 years.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1673872189.html

3k?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 8, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

So what? A turbo unit rebuild is $350 to $400 and will last for a good 30K miles and the engine is proven rock solid on the CX series.

No, what's really scary is that the turbo version use the same suspension, brakes and frame as the standard. Prepare for some serious upgrades here unless you're very, very brave (read: stupid). It's a very intimidating bike.

(I want one too)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1682184260.html

I don't see (yet) any signs of a wreck. I'll ask if it's ever been down, oil changes, etc. probably offer 1900 in cash, but won't go more than 2100. Does that sound reasonable?

God what an awful color scheme. Maybe I could spray paint it a flat color or something.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I don't see (yet) any signs of a wreck. I'll ask if it's ever been down, oil changes, etc. probably offer 1900 in cash, but won't go more than 2100. Does that sound reasonable?

God what an awful color scheme. Maybe I could spray paint it a flat color or something.

I don't really have anything useful to add other than "front tire will need replacing eventually" is really cracking me up.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

I don't really have anything useful to add other than "front tire will need replacing eventually" is really cracking me up.

I would assume that means "in a month or two," but I suppose thats equivalent to saying "sure life is pretty good but you'll die eventually"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That seems fairly ok...I'm wondering why bikes are so overpriced in your area. I guess it is the start of the season. I love the CBR900RRs, the engines are known for going the distance, but 3500$ is just stupid high, again, considering it's probably been crashed.

Blaster of Justice posted:

So what? A turbo unit rebuild is $350 to $400 and will last for a good 30K miles and the engine is proven rock solid on the CX series.

No, what's really scary is that the turbo version use the same suspension, brakes and frame as the standard. Prepare for some serious upgrades here unless you're very, very brave (read: stupid). It's a very intimidating bike.

(I want one too)

I rode my friend's CX650 Turbo, and yeah, it was a hell of an experience. What was also a hell of an experience was being on my 135hp ZZR1200 and not being able to catch him in a straight line up to 100mph or so. It's too bad there are no modern turbos, I'd imagine with a quick spooling turbo plus some sort of antilag system, you could get a LOT of power out of a small engine while still getting some form of decent throttle response. The CX was a "wait and the ride the boost dragon" out of the corner sort of bike.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

hahaha here is my correspondence with ugly katana guy

Me:
Hi, I would like to take a look at the katana you posted (http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1682184260.html). Will you be available this evening?

Him:
xxx@aol.com
I WILL BE HERE

Me:
OK WHERE IS HERE AND WHAT IS YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND NAME AND IS THERE A SPECIFIC TIME THAT IS GOOD

edit: On bike price, idk. Start of the season? It's Buffalo?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 8, 2010

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Usually I assume that if someone on CL is too stupid to even have a normal interaction, they are also too stupid to have maintained their bike properly. I would take a pass on that one. I've found that sticking to well-written ads that are clear and mention all the important stuff you would want to know makes CL shopping a lot easier.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

hahaha here is my correspondence with ugly katana guy

Me:
Hi, I would like to take a look at the katana you posted (http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1682184260.html). Will you be available this evening?

Him:
xxx@aol.com
I WILL BE HERE

Me:
OK WHERE IS HERE AND WHAT IS YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND NAME AND IS THERE A SPECIFIC TIME THAT IS GOOD

I've seen this-I suspect the guy uses a mobile phone and it doesn't occur to some mobile phone users that we don't get the phone number when we work on regular email. "Dude i r txt u frm phn cnt u c # on scrn? "

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

The weird guy is over an hour away from me, so I probably won't go see him anytime soon, as I have 2 other bikes to look at. Such as...

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1682287907.html

This one. I'm going to try and make it tonight. Bike looks clean. I spoke to the guy on the phone, he was coherent, as is the post. He's honest about it having been down, and it doesn't sound like a serious problem at all. Seems like he keeps up on the maintenance. It is blue booked at $2700. I'll try and get it for $2700 with everything (includes jacket, helmet, gloves, and spare powerpilot front tire). If there is any reason this seems like a poor idea, now would be the best time to tell me, because when I see it tonight, I'll probably buy it then if it all checks out.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
When it rains, it pours, doesn't it?

My first good bike being a first gen Interceptor, I've had a soft spot for them and thought I'd go grab the next nice one I saw..and what do I see.

So now I have a couple of short list top ten bikes come up when I have money. If this bike is as nice in person as it is in the photo, with 5K miles, it could end up in the living room.

At this time, as a practical/fiscal matter, there can be only 1.

Craigslist-more expensive than crack.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That's a nice looking Interceptor!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

In my attempt to find something to replace the Rebel as my first bike, I ran across this:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mcy/1682984503.html

How does that look? The price is nice, but is the mileage too high? Is there anything suspicious in the ad that I should look out for? I'm still two weeks off from my MSF, and not looking to buy a bike until I complete that, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be looking for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Too high? Not even. Looks to be in good shape and if it starts and fires it should be good. I *think* that is the same engine as the Ninja 500, so it'll be good for a ton more miles.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Oakey posted:

Usually I assume that if someone on CL is too stupid to even have a normal interaction, they are also too stupid to have maintained their bike properly. I would take a pass on that one. I've found that sticking to well-written ads that are clear and mention all the important stuff you would want to know makes CL shopping a lot easier.

This. A thousand times, this. There are a million great bikes (or anything else) out there to be had. Be patient, and you will find the right one for you.

Don't fall in love with a bike before you buy it, that only leads to trouble. Expensive trouble.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I wanna go to this and fall off/crash it somehow.

Click here for the full 853x564 image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODLmg3fk6w

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

PlasticSun posted:

but I wouldn't want a new rider to go through Latin America without 15-20K miles worth of experience. Instincts for when to brake, swerve, accelerate, etc during various panic situations accrue over time in the saddle, and there's not much time left before we leave.

I'm not saying it's wrong to be safe as you're saying (and I don't know your girlfriend), but I feel like that's maybe a little over-cautious. Two bikes are really convenient for breakdowns in the middle of nowhere, too.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Agrias120 posted:

In my attempt to find something to replace the Rebel as my first bike, I ran across this:

How does that look? The price is nice, but is the mileage too high? Is there anything suspicious in the ad that I should look out for? I'm still two weeks off from my MSF, and not looking to buy a bike until I complete that, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be looking for.

That's perfect (assuming it runs well) and a great price.

Bikes are not like cars. 12,000 miles on a bike is practically brand new. Further, UJMs from 1980 onward are all pretty bulletproof. Assuming they have been at all maintained, they should last you nearly forever. A car of that age would be a basket case, but bikes are less complicated and tend to be ridden less and garage kept. You can feel confident that any bike within the last 20 years and under 50k miles will be fine (again assuming it was taken care of).

Do you have anyone who ride that you can take with you? Anyone who knows what to look for in a used bike?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 9, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's worth noting that unless those are old pictures, the inspection is overdue. Not a big deal, but worth noting.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm not saying it's wrong to be safe as you're saying (and I don't know your girlfriend), but I feel like that's maybe a little over-cautious. Two bikes are really convenient for breakdowns in the middle of nowhere, too.

Perhaps, but with over 100K miles on bikes at this point I feel confident in my assessment. I'd much prefer to have to walk out for 2-3 days from a real middle of no where break down than have her get into an accident that could have been avoided with more experience.

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Agrias120 posted:

drat that is a nice bike. I might be racing you to Front Royal from Richmond. :)

I kid...

That is an awesome looking bike though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

Great deal, I'd be all over that. It'll probably be sold before you complete your MSF though.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Hah, I bought my bike before I even signed up for my classes and before I had my learners permit. :shobon:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

eviljelly posted:

Hah, I bought my bike before I even signed up for my classes and before I had my learners permit. :shobon:

I did the same thing. It's not a bad idea if you have enough self control to not try and ride it. Although I admit to sitting on it in the storage unit a lot. :haw:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I did the same thing. It's not a bad idea if you have enough self control to not try and ride it. Although I admit to sitting on it in the storage unit a lot. :haw:

Yeah, I wasn't worried. I bought the bike last Thursday and had a friend (who's been biking many years) bike it home for me. I signed up for the class and got my permit the very next day.

Agrias120, if you've already been riding your Rebel a while, you're obviously able to ride. Why wait till you complete the course?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

eviljelly posted:

Yeah, I wasn't worried. I bought the bike last Thursday and had a friend (who's been biking many years) bike it home for me. I signed up for the class and got my permit the very next day.

Agrias120, if you've already been riding your Rebel a while, you're obviously able to ride. Why wait till you complete the course?

I worded my last post strangely--I don't have a Rebel at the moment. The Rebel was originally the starter bike I was looking to buy, but after being told I might be too tall for it, and that its performance might not be adequate for highway trips, I'm starting to look at other models to act as my first bike.

There are a lot of Shadows and Vulcans in my price range at the moment--hopefully there will still be a few good deals in a week or two. I've also been seeing a handful of older Honda CB500's--how would those work as a first bike? Assuming I could find one that was in decent condition and kept well, I mean.

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you have anyone who ride that you can take with you? Anyone who knows what to look for in a used bike?

Endless Mike offered to come out with me and look at a bike I pick out, which is going to be a huge help. I don't really know any other riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Hey Nero-what is a good charging voltage for a CX500? The CX500T I looked at last night put out 13.8, which seemed a bit on the low side, although the battery is new.
The bike has 18K and I'm sure it's on the original stator.