Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I've never even bothered to try ovi maps. Is it any good? Google maps is already awesome for nearly anything I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

It's a very capable application, and now that there's free turn-by-turn navigation on it, I prefer it (very slightly) to google maps. Functionally they're almost identical; the main difference is having to pre-load maps once in ovi as opposed to downloading them on the fly with google. With the amount of space most modern models offer, I rather prefer the former.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
well hello there

Edit:
details here
http://www.intomobile.com/2010/03/23/photos-leak-nokia-n8-00-packs-a-3-5-inch-capacitive-screen-12-megapixel-camera-has-hdmi-out.html

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 23, 2010

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Symbian, though? Wrong OS. :colbert:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

LiquidRain posted:

Symbian, though? Wrong OS. :colbert:

Seriously. I can't possibly see anyone switching over from Android or iPhone to this as long as it's running Symbian. I find the design to be incredibly bland too, even more so than the Nexus One. Other than the camera module with the return of a xenon flash, I don't really see any reason to get excited over this. Nokia is still playing catch-up with the rest of the market.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

HPL posted:

Seriously. I can't possibly see anyone switching over from Android or iPhone to this as long as it's running Symbian. I find the design to be incredibly bland too, even more so than the Nexus One. Other than the camera module with the return of a xenon flash, I don't really see any reason to get excited over this. Nokia is still playing catch-up with the rest of the market.

idk 12mp + xenon is p nice, and Symbian^3 looks like it won't be utterly unusable.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Casao posted:

idk 12mp + xenon is p nice, and Symbian^3 looks like it won't be utterly unusable.

I said that the camera module is notable. 12MP is kind of a joke though on a sensor that tiny.

Honestly, this phone won't do anything other than keep diehard Nokia fans in the fold. The iPhone proved that it's all about the software, which is Nokia's weakest front. Rolling out a new OS with this phone alongside Maemo which is still in its infancy doesn't help matters. What good will Symbian^3 be if the bulk of the mobile developers have already jumped ship to other systems?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

The design does look pretty bland, and the fact that there's only a single button on the face just kind of...sitting there on the left side doesn't do much for aesthetics. Also, camera module cold jutting out of the backside with no lens cover in sight? seems like a pretty big digression. The two screw heads being plainly visible on the case makes me think (hope) this isn't a final design.

On the other hand, seeing capacitive touch and xenon in the spec list is promising, and hopefully they'll roll out the same tech to other models (slide qwerty, please?)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Gerudo Rivera posted:

(slide qwerty, please?)
Slide QWERTY, lens cover (if possible), and slap Maemo/Meego on that and then we might be talking about an awesome/competitive phone!

(yeah yeah keep dreamin...)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Quick question: Does Ovi Maps use a lot of data on AT&T in offline mode? I heard some dude bitching about how it was using 6kb of data every few hours or something and wound up with a huge bill.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Peven Stan posted:

Quick question: Does Ovi Maps use a lot of data on AT&T in offline mode? I heard some dude bitching about how it was using 6kb of data every few hours or something and wound up with a huge bill.
If it was offline, data access would be impossible.

A-GPS usually uses 6kb to get a location fix faster. That's probably what caused the data charges.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

And you can disable A-GPS.... er, somewhere in Symbian. Maybe in settings?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr Tran posted:

A-GPS usually uses 6kb to get a location fix faster. That's probably what caused the data charges.

Most likely. I had that problem back when I was using my N82 on prepaid.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

LiquidRain posted:

And you can disable A-GPS.... er, somewhere in Symbian. Maybe in settings?

Yeah. It might be somewhere in the system settings or open up the Positioning app and change it in the settings there.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
If you have an E71, Ovi Maps with free navigation is here:

http://nds1.nokia.com/PRODUCT_METADATA_0/Explore_Services/Ovi_Maps/nokia_maps_3.03_10wk11_b04_s60_3.1_rom.Nocs.sis

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
I really, really miss my S60 phones. I've been using a Palm Pre for a few months now, and I really enjoy it. But I'm just dying to switch back to AT&T to get a trusty N95 8GB. Anything non-touch S60. The way the OS "feels," I don't know how else to explain this, just is much more pleasurable on S60 for me than WebOS, Android, or even iPhone OS. Wish I knew exactly what the hell it is about S60 that makes me so hard just thinking about it.

I'm not interested in the new Symbian^x variants coming out over the next few months--years, really. There's no way, but I wish Nokia would just make the most badass S60 non-touch OS and phones out there. I'd definitely switch back to experience that glory.

S60 4 lyfe.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Well you can have your N86 back

when you pry it from my cold, dead thumbs :clint:

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Well you can have your N86 back

when you pry it from my cold, dead thumbs :clint:

I'm glad you're still happy with it and still using it. That was one of my favorite smartphones I've ever used, no question about it. One of the sexiest in appearance, too. And the camera... God, that thing had some power.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Stockholm syndrome.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, I'm definitely getting that from my E72. When it works it's like the Best Thing Ever™

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Tech curmudgeon John C Dvorak is constantly saying how he prefers his E71 to all new comers on the TWIT podcasts he does. It kind of fits his personality, but I'm with him.

Personally, the thing that's keeping me from moving to a modern smartphone is my stubbornness to move up from t-mobile's $6/mo data plan. It works perfectly on my N82. I'm going to hop from unlocked phone to unlocked phone to avoid paying a $30/mo or whatever it is data plan. That poo poo adds up.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Civil posted:

Tech curmudgeon John C Dvorak is constantly saying how he prefers his E71 to all new comers on the TWIT podcasts he does. It kind of fits his personality, but I'm with him.

Personally, the thing that's keeping me from moving to a modern smartphone is my stubbornness to move up from t-mobile's $6/mo data plan. It works perfectly on my N82. I'm going to hop from unlocked phone to unlocked phone to avoid paying a $30/mo or whatever it is data plan. That poo poo adds up.

It's $20 a month, and unless you've got an N900, you're chilling with EDGE data.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Civil posted:

You know you can buy unlocked Android phones right? Hell, the Nexus One up until quite recently only worked for 3G on t-mobile.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

You know you can buy unlocked Android phones right? Hell, the Nexus One up until quite recently only worked for 3G on t-mobile.
I had an unlocked G1 for a while - it didn't work with the t-zones plan. It did at one time, but t-mo closed the hole.

$20/mo is still more than I want to pay if I don't have to. I use gmail, google maps, and web browsing with what I have, and it works perfectly. And edge is perfectly fine for me, I'm not doing any heavy lifting. Everything I do works acceptably fast. Even the youtube app streams fine over edge.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Civil posted:

I had an unlocked G1 for a while - it didn't work with the t-zones plan. It did at one time, but t-mo closed the hole.

$20/mo is still more than I want to pay if I don't have to. I use gmail, google maps, and web browsing with what I have, and it works perfectly. And edge is perfectly fine for me, I'm not doing any heavy lifting. Everything I do works acceptably fast. Even the youtube app streams fine over edge.

Yeah but something like the Nexus One will do all 3 of those things MUCH MUCH better.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah but something like the Nexus One will do all 3 of those things MUCH MUCH better.
I agree, Android kicks the poo poo out of s60 for most smartphone stuff. Even the G1 was far better than s60.

Looks like tmo's Android data plan is $30/mo. That's almost $300/yr more than I'm paying now. That's a hard sell.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Civil posted:

I agree, Android kicks the poo poo out of s60 for most smartphone stuff. Even the G1 was far better than s60.

Looks like tmo's Android data plan is $30/mo. That's almost $300/yr more than I'm paying now. That's a hard sell.

That's for the new plans. For you, it'd be $25/month. Also,

Civil posted:

"It's like a BlackBerry that can't do e-mail!"

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Civil posted:

They have some pretty nice all-inclusive plans now that are relatively cheap. 500 minutes unlimited talk and web for $60 a month.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

Just as evidence of how pathetic my nostalgia for S60 is and how far it extends -- I had a dream I owned an N95-3 NAM last night. No joke. Jesus christ.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I wish I had been dreaming when the locations of all my app icons reset, after i'd spent a solid half hour carefully sorting them into folders by function and frequency of use :smithicide:

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

Gonna sell my Palm Pre and switch back to AT&T for an n95 8gb or n97 mini. Shoot me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

corpsed posted:

Gonna sell my Palm Pre and switch back to AT&T for an n95 8gb or n97 mini. Shoot me.

Welcome back to the dark side. Get the N86.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Welcome back to the dark side. Get the N86.

Thank you, father.

N86 was actually the most recent Nseries I owned. Sold it to Gerudo Rivera, a frequenter of this thread, actually! It's probably my favorite non-touch S60 phone; you're right--it is quite badass. However, there's just something about the N95-8GB that I find immensely more appealing. I realize it's inferior in almost every way that matters--no removable storage, old screen technology, less quality build materials and construction, old OS revision that doesn't take advantage of FP2, even, and so forth--but I don't know. I may just bite the lovely bullet and get that beautiful device anyway, over the newer, better Nseries ones out there. Something's wrong with me.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What are some of yalls favorite S60v3 apps?

I really like mobbler so far and EA Tetris, which came free with my E72 :smug:

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

My two absolute favorite & must-have S60 apps:
Symella -- limewire-esque p2p downloading suite. amazing. -- LINK
Symtorrent -- essential bittorrent client. on your loving phone. brilliant. -- LINK

Other honorable mentions:
JoikuSpot Light &/or Premium -- LINK
Gravity -- LINK
Opera Mini &/or Mobile
Skyfire
Gmail
Gmaps
Qik
Fring
Handy TaskMan
" " Weather
Screenshot
Nokia Email (the newer slick integrated email client w/ beautiful UI and other goodies)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Smartphone platforms that are relevant have Pandora. :smug:

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

I prefer Last.fm. I've owned the most S60 phones out of every single goon on SA and consequently mine is the only opinion that must without question be abided by. NEXT!

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

mobbler is spectacular. also i have just discovered these ""pod cast" things and i wonder how i ever did 45 minutes of cardio without them. even though i am starting to suspect the built in podcast app is pretty inferior (no listing for Radiolab or This American Life?? what the hell nokia

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

So you don't use the official podcasting app to find those podcasts, then? Pray tell, what is your secret?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I literally just tried it out for the first time tonight, I haven't tried anything else. I was just surprised that it has a bunch of NPR programming preloaded as bookmarks but not the two i mentioned.

• Locked thread